Author Topic: Unpopular opinion: I don’t like Dio as a vocalist  (Read 2069 times)

Offline npiazza91

Unpopular opinion: I don’t like Dio as a vocalist
« on: June 01, 2021, 10:31:47 PM »
I know this is like sacrilege to a lot of metal fans, but I can’t take any song with him seriously. His vocals cringe me out really bad. I have never felt this way about a vocalist so I’m really trying to get into him, but I just can’t. It sounds like a parody, like he takes what he’s saying way too seriously, and his tone is just...cringey as hell. It sounds like a cheesy 80s videogame villain, that’s the best way I can describe his voice. I know he’s seen as a metal icon, but I just can’t tolerate him, even for one song. I can’t even enjoy his Sabbath albums because his singing just ruins it for me. Idk guys, I just don’t feel it. I can’t even properly explain why I feel this way, but it is what it is. Maybe someone else agrees with me, idk. I listened to The Last in Line album today and now I’m listening to Heaven and Hell and I just can’t do it.

Offline jammindude

Re: Unpopular opinion: I don’t like Dio as a vocalist
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 11:09:56 PM »
“Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle.” - Captain Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 11:25:12 PM »
I can understand it................never bothered me but I can understand that you might find his vocal inflections overdone.  Early days I thought the same way about James Hetfied.......................ahhh! and struggled to enjoy Metallica until I got used to it.     I always loved the humourous aspect of DLR in Van Halen but can understand why people would find his vocals cringey too.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 02:22:20 AM »
Wow, I almost could have written that OP! Apart from the part about Black Sabbath, because I have never heard those albums.

You seem to be fairly more negative than me though. I can tolerate it just fine, but I don't enjoy it and wouldn't turn on a Dio track myself. That said, I only know the most well-known tracks, so I'm hardly an expert.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 07:23:11 AM »
I don't agree, but I DO see the point.  I would only offer that it depends on WHEN you hear him.  While you can always tell it's "Ronnie James Dio", his voice is a bit clearer, a bit cleaner on the Rainbow records.  Live, and I'm specifically referring to the German shows from '76, some of his vocals on Catch The Rainbow, Stargazer and Mistreated in particular are very strong.   When he went to Sabbath, there was a slight... roughening of his voice, but on certain songs on Heaven And Hell - Die Young, Children Of The Sea, Walk Away - there was still that clarity.  With Mob Rules, he started to sing in more that gruff-y, metal voice, and that continued on to his solo stuff.  The later Sabbath records (and teh Heaven And Hell record) TO ME suffer, in that it seems that Dio was trying to be that "metal icon" and Iommi was the "Riff Master General" and it became very "same-y" to me.   Perhaps understandable given the amount of touring he did (whether you like it or not, his voice stood the test of time about as well as any big-time vocalist. 

TL;DR:  I agree with that in the later years of his career, I agree with that less and less as you go back in time.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 08:22:59 AM »
I don't agree, but I DO see the point.  I would only offer that it depends on WHEN you hear him.  While you can always tell it's "Ronnie James Dio", his voice is a bit clearer, a bit cleaner on the Rainbow records.  Live, and I'm specifically referring to the German shows from '76, some of his vocals on Catch The Rainbow, Stargazer and Mistreated in particular are very strong.   When he went to Sabbath, there was a slight... roughening of his voice, but on certain songs on Heaven And Hell - Die Young, Children Of The Sea, Walk Away - there was still that clarity.  With Mob Rules, he started to sing in more that gruff-y, metal voice, and that continued on to his solo stuff.  The later Sabbath records (and teh Heaven And Hell record) TO ME suffer, in that it seems that Dio was trying to be that "metal icon" and Iommi was the "Riff Master General" and it became very "same-y" to me.   Perhaps understandable given the amount of touring he did (whether you like it or not, his voice stood the test of time about as well as any big-time vocalist. 

TL;DR:  I agree with that in the later years of his career, I agree with that less and less as you go back in time.

Also Bruce Dickinson's singing doesn't appeal to everyone. Some people don't dig his vocals because they find them kinda operatic, so it's off-putting to them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 08:32:22 AM »
Dio is hit and miss with me, both as a singer and a songwriter.  I like some of his work, and dislike some.  And I don't really care for his live performances.  He plays too loose, and I don't like that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 08:54:40 AM »
I can actually see that point OP is making and somewhat agree though not as extreme perhaps. I'd say I'm fairly neutral on Dio (He has a good voice but it doesn't necessarily tickle my fancy) but there's something about his delivery of "HOLY DIVAH, SOUL SUVIVAH" that does have that 'cringe' factor to me at least.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 09:11:08 AM »
I don't like him either.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2021, 09:30:03 AM »
I'll be careful.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2021, 09:42:07 AM »
"HOLY DIVAH, SOUL SUVIVAH"

RIDE THE TIGAH!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2021, 09:43:15 AM »
And you're totally allowed to think that. I don't like Tom Englund, Daniel Glidenlow or the dude from Leprous. Even a good deal of DT fans dislike JLB.

Taste, we all got em.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2021, 09:53:41 AM »
There are certainly worse vocalists to complain about.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2021, 09:56:45 AM »
There are certainly worse vocalists to complain about.
True.

Of course, I'm not complaining.  And I don't LOATHE him as a vocalist.  I don't like any of his music, so I don't listen to him.  No skin off my nose. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2021, 11:00:48 AM »
I can actually see that point OP is making and somewhat agree though not as extreme perhaps. I'd say I'm fairly neutral on Dio (He has a good voice but it doesn't necessarily tickle my fancy) but there's something about his delivery of "HOLY DIVAH, SOUL SUVIVAH" that does have that 'cringe' factor to me at least.

How about his introduction to "Man On The Silver Mountain" in Nurnburg in '76:   "This next one will knock you silly!"

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2021, 11:10:40 AM »
My problem isn't so much with Dio himself, as much as the fact that he has spawned dozens upon dozens of imitators that have turned the sound of his voice into a kind of heavy metal cliche. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2021, 12:06:22 PM »
Love Him   love his wonderful wife too  .   Great voice, Great Man.   God Bless RJD.
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2021, 12:23:42 PM »
And you're totally allowed to think that. I don't like Tom Englund, Daniel Glidenlow or the dude from Leprous. Even a good deal of DT fans dislike JLB.

Taste, we all got em.

That's me! (including the JLB part)
Don't know Leprous so I can't comment on him.

Love Dio. I have all of the Elf albums, Rainbow albums, Dio albums, Sabbath albums. The man is awesome.  :metal
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2021, 12:28:57 PM »
Dio Rocks  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2021, 12:35:12 PM »
I really like his clean vocals the most.   A good example is the intro to "Don't Talk to Strangers",  he sounds amazing and I wish that part of the song would have drug on for a few more measures before the heavy raspy part kicks in.
I like most of his singing, but I get why some people may be put off by the tone.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2021, 01:21:37 PM »
Love Him   love his wonderful wife too  .   Great voice, Great Man.   God Bless RJD.
+1.....  Dio is a metal god.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2021, 02:32:43 PM »
I love his vocals but really never cared that much for his music to be honest.  I thought his best performances were with Black Sabbath where the whole evil-sounding schtick kind of fits like a glove.  I agree with others who have said his clean vocals are his best work.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2021, 02:56:44 PM »
No one can argue if someone does or doesn't like Dio's voice. That's a matter of personal taste.

With Dio's voice, you get an iconic image. He was a fantastic singer and performer.

Dio's lyrics about wizards and rainbows seemed to work a lot better with Blackmore, Iommi, and even a young Vivian behind him.
With, Goldy or Aldrich, not so much.

He was really beholden to his guitarist.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2021, 03:13:02 PM »

That's a really good point.

It really worked with Blackmore and Iommi.  The first three Dio albums were great, although I suspect it's a "you had to be there" sort of thing.  Dream Evil was just ok, and Lock up the Wolves sucked hard.  I lost interest after that.

But Dio as a singer and a frontman was great every time I saw him, including with Heaven & Hell in 2007ish.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2021, 03:18:05 PM »

Taste, we all got em.

That's me! (including the JLB part)
Don't know Leprous so I can't comment on him.

Love Dio. I have all of the Elf albums, Rainbow albums, Dio albums, Sabbath albums. The man is awesome.  :metal

I'm indifferent to Dio, though I do respect his work tremendously. I do agree with what someone above stated that he tainted the metal vocal stylings of a generation for better or worse.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2021, 04:06:28 PM »
Wow, more negative views in here than I expected.  I too can see the point most of you are making, but I love him.  His live performances have always been wonderful to watch because you can really see he loved what he was doing.  Seemed grateful every time he was on the stage.

Some of his discography is hit and miss for sure but yeah, seemed to work better with specific guitarists.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline HOF

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2021, 04:08:04 PM »
I like Dio as a vocalist more than I like Dio’s music in general. Think he has an amazing voice, but I don’t really listen to his music ever. Rainbow in the Dark is great though.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2021, 04:37:36 PM »
Absolutely love Dio! Just an amazing vocalist. However, like others have said above I can also totally understand why someone wouldn't like him. I think some of what makes him 'cringy and cheesy' to some is that he does have the tendency to so clearly annunciate his vowels that it really sounds overdone, kind of like he is trying too hard. However the guy just had awesome technique and tone.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2021, 05:57:47 PM »
I can't say I dislike Dio as a singer, but he is not a favorite.  Sabbath's Heaven and Hell is the only work of his I ever listen to, and that is a damn fine record.  Nothing else I have ever heard has interested me, and I am honestly not sure if it is his voice or the songs just not being good enough (for me).

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2021, 09:32:13 PM »
Stargazer has the most jaw-dropping heavy metal vocal performance of all time.  Each and every time I hear Dio's voice there, I am shaken to my core.  The only other song that even comes close to doing that is Child in Time.  For those two songs alone, Dio and Ian Gillan rank as my favorite singers.  For Dio, All the Fools Sailed Away, Last in Line, and Heaven and Hell also eclipse 99 percent of all other heavy metal performances.  Needless to say, I very much disagree with OP's sentiment.

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2021, 10:12:55 PM »
My problem isn't so much with Dio himself, as much as the fact that he has spawned dozens upon dozens of imitators that have turned the sound of his voice into a kind of heavy metal cliche.

That's how you know he's a legend.  ;D

Offline The Realm

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2021, 10:53:38 PM »
Stargazer has the most jaw-dropping heavy metal vocal performance of all time.  Each and every time I hear Dio's voice there, I am shaken to my core.  The only other song that even comes close to doing that is Child in Time.  For those two songs alone, Dio and Ian Gillan rank as my favorite singers.  For Dio, All the Fools Sailed Away, Last in Line, and Heaven and Hell also eclipse 99 percent of all other heavy metal performances.  Needless to say, I very much disagree with OP's sentiment.

Love this post. Totally agree.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2021, 01:11:04 AM »

That's how you know he's a legend.  ;D

Of course, he's had a stellar career. Who gets to play with Blackmore AND Iommi? (aside from Ian Gillan, but Born Again was kind of an anomalous blip).

The thing that kills me is that those first two DIO albums were SOOOO good, but then after The Last In Line, everything simply fell off a steep cliff.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2021, 08:19:29 AM »

That's a really good point.

It really worked with Blackmore and Iommi.  The first three Dio albums were great, although I suspect it's a "you had to be there" sort of thing.  Dream Evil was just ok, and Lock up the Wolves sucked hard.  I lost interest after that.

But Dio as a singer and a frontman was great every time I saw him, including with Heaven & Hell in 2007ish.

I'm on this train as well.   I'm a Blackmore fanboy, so there's that.   The first album is good, but Rising and LLRnR are legendary.   I'm not an Iommi fanboy, but I like him a lot, and the more progressive he is, the better (I love the last four Ozzy-Sabbath records).  So that's Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules.   I have diminishing returns on Dehumanizer and Heaven and Hell.   I loved the freshness (I WAS there at the time) of the early Dio records, so that's Holy Diver and The Last In Line.  I like Craig Goldy, but there are diminishing returns on the Dio records after TLIL, and I'm not sure I own anything after Dream Evil except for Magica, and even less desire to do so.