Author Topic: DT Songs you didn't like at first...  (Read 9610 times)

Offline MetropolisxPt1

Re: DT Songs you didn't like at first...
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2011, 04:48:05 PM »
learning to live, i could never make it past the first minute for the longest time but when i did i was blown away.

Offline vulcandj

• There's too many notes.
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2011, 04:56:44 PM »
Caught in a web. It took me YEARS and then hearing it live almost 10 years later to like it. :tup
So I say to the horse, "why the long face?"....

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2011, 05:18:50 PM »
Take the Time.
Hated it at first, now I love it.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2011, 02:44:30 AM »
Endless Sacrifice
Innocence Faded
I Walk Beside You (and now it's one of my favorites of their "mainstream" side)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2011, 03:19:52 AM »
Hollow Years (didn't care much for it until 2007 version)
Blind Faith
Ministry of Lost Souls (now its a treasured gem)

Offline namgalsipsclar

« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2011, 07:34:54 AM »
SURROUNDED

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2011, 09:01:09 AM »
Surrounded
Scarred
Forsaken

Those for sure, which seem to be the common ones, but In The Presence of Enemies recently has been drawing me in big time.  I couldn't get past the dark master stuff for a long time, lots of cheese there...

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2011, 09:24:30 AM »
Learning To Live
Hell's Kitchen
Trial of Tears

Offline GalacticGuitarist87

« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2011, 02:30:22 PM »
All of Images and Words, Awake, Falling Into Infinity, and Scenes from a Memory... yes I'm serious...

These albums rock and I love them now, it just took a while.

Offline theGonz

« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2011, 10:20:18 PM »
blind faith
dissapear
innocence faded
most of wdadu
trial of tears
YNM lol
SFAM only because i first listened to it without lyrics

never enough

now i love em all!! (even YNM)
*epic instrumental section*

Offline Mind Trail

« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2011, 08:53:42 AM »
It took probably 20 listens before Metropolis finally clicked and became a top 20 song.
"For thirty years where have I been..."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2011, 11:41:40 AM »
All of Awake. Nothing really caught me at first, it took a few listens before it all sunk in.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2011, 01:02:45 PM »
Let's see..."New Millennium" was a song I was never impressed by until I really clicked with it.  Now it's a top 5 song.  So good...one of the few truly happy and positive songs from DT's catalog.

"Hell's Kitchen" was another grower...I'll admit, there's no hook or catch to the song, but it's just so epic sunrise-y and uplifting that I had to be in the right setting to really get it.

"Beyond This Life" was forgettable to me, and I thought the "our deeds will travel faaa-aa-aa-aar" was annoying, but now it's my fave from SFAM.

"Forsaken" is a song I used to HATE...the chorus is just awful.  But after I looked past the chorus, it's really quite a song.  Nothing really wrong with it at all.

I sort of just liked "Take the Time" and "Surrounded" but now they're among my favorite DT songs...I'd probably rank both of them at least as high as "Learning to Live".

That's it really.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2011, 01:31:53 PM »
Learning to Live
Scarred
Disappear
Hell's Kitchen
Blind Faith

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2011, 01:58:18 PM »
Learning to Live. I used to think it was pretty gay and not metal. Then I saw the light.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2011, 01:34:33 AM »
Pull Me Under
A Change of Seasons
Erotomainia
Caught In A Web
Take The Time
This Dying Soul
The Ministry of Lost Souls
Lost Not Forgotten
and pretty much all of WDADU
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline reza_122

« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2011, 04:25:30 AM »
Repentance
The Shattered Fortress
Vacant
Prophet of War
Home

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2011, 05:53:58 AM »
In The Name of God - but then I gave it the honest and earnest listen it deserved and now it's prolly second favorite off the album.

Metropolis Pt. 1 - then I listened to it over and over and over and moreover I really dig it!

Endless Sacrifice - and then...dat jam...it finally clicked. Especially live.

Six Degrees of Inner Tubulence Disc 1 - Then Dude7 said, "man up!". So I did, and now it's on the same level as Disc 2. It finally feels cohesive.

The Count of Tuscany - so I kept giving it chances time and time again, and over time it just stuck and grew so powaful!

Offline Tsev Eyd Ecaps

• arrgh whats up with ya!!
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2011, 09:38:18 AM »
Endless sacrifice.

Swept away with the tide.
Through the holes in my hands.
Crown of thorns at my side.
Drawing lines in the sand.

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2011, 10:12:07 AM »
It took me forever to get into Under a Glass Moon. Just didn't take to it. Then one day I was giving Images and Words a spin and BAM, suddenly it worked.

Also very recently starting to come around to The Great Debate. Was originally the only blemish on disc 1 of SDOIT, but now it's finally starting to shape up as their perfect album. :)

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2011, 05:33:44 PM »
There are only like 2 songs of DT that I disliked wholeheartedly and I still do to this day.

When I started listening to DT, though, I had some issues adapting to songs that drag on for too long and have a really long instrumental break (Endless Sacrifice or In the Name of God are great examples, and they're now two of my favorite songs), and songs that sounds too Muse-ish (Prophets of War/Never Enough, which I also love).

Offline Tumdace

« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2011, 07:04:03 PM »
learning to live, i could never make it past the first minute for the longest time but when i did i was blown away.

How could you not like any song enough to listen to the whole thing, let alone LTL, the (IMO) best song Dream Theater has ever made?

Anyways, for me its got to be The Killing Hand. Been listening to it a few times lately, pretty decent song if you ask me.

Also, The Dance of Eternity. But I think that goes without saying that you kind of need to figure out the time signatures and different rhythms in your head before the song really shines. I could not get into it for the longest time but now its one of my most favourite DT songs.

Oh and A Nightmare to Remember.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2011, 01:04:07 PM »
All of Awake. Nothing really caught me at first, it took a few listens before it all sunk in.

After the rapture of I&W this album came as a huge shock- I was so disappointed. The seven string sound was a big factor(still don't like the seven string. It's not necessary- that's where the bass belongs), and an aggressive sounding JLB.

Now I love it. It took a long time for some of the songs though.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2011, 01:05:46 PM »
A Change of Seasons.

I had to force my self to listen to it for weeks just so I could get my head familiar with the structure of the song. Once it stopped sounding disconnected and random, I loved it.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2011, 04:03:17 PM »
Learning to Live
It took me more than 50 listens of I&W before I could finally grab that 'weird last song' on an album that had my favourites Surrounded, Metropolis and Under a Glass Moon. After finding out this was a fan favourite it still didn't to much to me. Even a friend learning this song on guitar, because he thought it was one of DT's best couldn't get me to appreciate it. It remained the underplayed song of I&W for years, until one day it clicked. It is a top 5 song for me now.

The Great Debate
'LIFE TO SAVE LIFE'. That was the only thing that I remember from this song. I thought it was bad, weird en downright the 'stranger' of Six Degrees. When I found out this was in the setlist for the European Leg of the ADOIT tour, I started listening to it, actually for some of the first times. I always skipped this, because I detested the 'LIFE TO SAVE LIFE'-part. Shut up, with your 'life'. When I listened it again I found myself so foolish to never have given this a closer look. The song is amazing and unlike ANY other Dream Theater song. Rich textures, good lyrics, nice riffs and a very interesting subject. This song currently sits on the #12 spot of favourite Dream Theater songs.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2011, 04:27:21 PM »
Blind Faith, until I saw it live.

The whole of Six Degrees, it didn't do anything for me at all and sounded like weird Disneyland music until one day it clicked, only a few months ago, and I fell right in love with it.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2011, 12:58:10 AM »
I remember in the summer of 2005 when I purchased 8vm, I was so pumped to hear the title track. I was disappointed for awhile. Once I heard it at Radio City I was sold and since then it is a top 5 DT song. Also back in 2002, when I purchased Falling into Infinity, the entire album took forever to grow on me, but Lines in the Sand was the track that I had no interest at all. It took maybe 3 or 4 years for the song to come around and now I love that song.

Offline coffees for closers

« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2011, 12:13:17 PM »
I almost find it hard to beleive but for me I didn't like Pull Me Under at all.  I thought is was so commercial for them and always wondered why they played it at every show. Now I love it.

Burning My Soul is the latest one, but still don't really like it.