Author Topic: Songs where live version > studio version  (Read 9534 times)

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
Re: Songs where live version > studio version
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2010, 12:18:08 PM »
rock and roll all nite - kiss alive

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2010, 12:20:13 PM »
I'm really surprised Dave Matthews Band hasn't been mentioned. Basically every single one of their songs are better live, especially Don't Drink The Water.

I don't think there are a lot of DMB fans here, which is probably why they haven't been mentioned much (or at all prior to your post) in this thread.  

And I wouldn't say all of their songs are better live, but some of them are.  On the flip side, I know many salivate over the many extended live versions of "Two Step," but the studio version has that awesome intro, and for that alone, I will always prefer it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2010, 03:51:11 PM »
The one that comes to mind immediately is:

"Eyes of a Stranger" - Queensryche

The album version is awesome, but live, the band tags a reprise of "Anarchy-X" onto the outro of the song, which really rocks and closes the song and story out much better than the studio version.

God I miss the original band.

Had to know you'd pull out the QR reference!  Also, Revolution Calling.  When the band goes silent, and you hear 10,000 people scream 'REVOLUTION CALLING!'  Man, chills every time I hear it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2010, 04:00:28 PM »
Oh good lord I forgot

Outlaw Torn (S&M Version) - Metallica. Actually my favourite Metallica performance/song.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2010, 04:40:49 PM »
As far as Pink Floyd goes "Money" and "Comfortably Numb" are far superior on Pulse. And I enjoy the "Run Like Hell" version from Is There Anybody Out There with Roger's intro.

DT: Definitely echo "Hollow Years" and "Octavarium", but of course got to give props to the Live Scenes From New York. I can't stand to listen to the studio version of Scenes From A Memory anymore 

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2010, 04:52:48 PM »
Shine On You Crazy Diamond's another good one. I heard the Pulse version first, and when I finally got around to WYWH, I found the studio version unlistenable in comparison. And considering how much of the album it takes up, the album became an instant dud for me.

I'm really surprised Dave Matthews Band hasn't been mentioned. Basically every single one of their songs are better live, especially Don't Drink The Water.
Yeah, that song's awesome live, although sometimes, it bothers me that the live versions tend to lack the subtlety of the studio version. The Live in Chicago version is a nice balance.

And I wouldn't say every song is better live, but most of them are. Although I tend to prefer the studio versions of quite a few tracks on BTCS.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2010, 05:02:24 PM »
I just love seeing DMB playing Trippin Billies live.  I made my wife wait to go to the bathroom.(She has a tendency to go when my favorite song from a band starts)!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TL

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2010, 05:10:32 PM »
Pretty much any of Bowie's live versions of 'The Man Who Sold the World'. It's a great song live, but for some reason, I really don't like the studio version.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2010, 05:20:59 PM »
Yeah, that song's awesome live, although sometimes, it bothers me that the live versions tend to lack the subtlety of the studio version. The Live in Chicago version is a nice balance.

And I wouldn't say every song is better live, but most of them are. Although I tend to prefer the studio versions of quite a few tracks on BTCS.

BTCS is a masterpiece in every way possible, and I think that is one album were just about every song is better in the studio than live.  Most of their other albums have tons of songs that almost have a live feel to them anyway, but not BTCS.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2010, 06:12:12 PM »
Yeah, the only songs where the live versions really match up to the studio ones are Rapunzel, Pig and DDTW, I'd say. And I don't think I'd call the live version better in any of those cases.

I think the biggest problem they have with recreating the sound of that album live is the prominence of the violin. That's one of the things that makes that album so great. A lot of the songs also have a very unique intimate sound to them that is really hard for them to accurately capture live (like the whole The Stone-Crush-Dreaming Tree run, for example).

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2010, 01:52:39 PM »
I already loved Sleep Together from PT but the performance on new DVD is absolutely stunning and it's even better than the studio version especially the chorus, it's just so powerful and atmospherical...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2010, 04:55:18 PM »
Yeah, the only songs where the live versions really match up to the studio ones are Rapunzel, Pig and DDTW, I'd say. And I don't think I'd call the live version better in any of those cases.

I think the biggest problem they have with recreating the sound of that album live is the prominence of the violin. That's one of the things that makes that album so great. A lot of the songs also have a very unique intimate sound to them that is really hard for them to accurately capture live (like the whole The Stone-Crush-Dreaming Tree run, for example).

I wholeheartedly agree with all of this. :tup :tup

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2010, 05:05:13 PM »
Too many things to mention that I agree with. 

Disagree completely with the Pink Floyd mentions (even though Nick is right about Gilmour's Echoes).

First things that came to mind with me were the entire Jethro Tull and Porcupine Tree catalogs.  All of their songs are better live than recorded. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2010, 05:18:23 PM »
Disagree completely with the Pink Floyd mentions (even though Nick is right about Gilmour's Echoes). 

He was quoting me, so technically it was I who was right :D

Could you articulate why you don't agree with the other Floyd mentions though? I am just curious.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2010, 05:19:46 PM »
The one Floyd live song that absolutely obliterates the studio original is "Sorrow."  The original version on AMLOR is almost forgettable, but the live versions are stellar, the one from Delicate Sound of Thunder being the one I prefer.   

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2010, 09:50:20 PM »

He was quoting me, so technically it was I who was right :D

Could you articulate why you don't agree with the other Floyd mentions though? I am just curious.
And to be fair, I was referring to the Remember That Night version.   :biggrin:

When it comes to the classic 70s era Pink Floyd, you're getting real close to perfection, both from the standpoint of production and musicianship.  As much as I love all four guys, I don't think any of them were really good enough at what they did to pull off their material at it's best every night.  I'd give anything to be able to go back and see them just jam for 3 hours in the early 70s, but I'd never expect it to have the impact of the studio recordings.  

Once they expanded, both as a whole and as PF and RW, it became a different phenomenon.  It certainly sounded bigger, which in some cases is better.  But at the same time, seeing a 15 man all-star band pull out a nice rendition of Dogs can't compare with hearing what just those 4 guys mustered up in a studio.  Plus, it never really turned out the same.  I've seen both Gilmour's Pink Floyd and Roger Water's band (x2) play DSotM, and I didn't think either of them pulled off what they had recorded 20-30 years earlier (although the PF presentation was certainly spectacular).  Honestly, I think DT did it better than either of them.  

I will say that I was probably wrong in my original statement.  I hadn't considered the Learning to Fly material.  Yeah, probably all of that was better live.  At least it would have been watchable if not listenable.    
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 10:00:05 PM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2010, 09:58:05 PM »
El Barto makes a lot of good points in that post. I agree with most of it, something about the PF Studio albums is just magical and there are just no ways to reproduce that magic.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2010, 10:38:49 PM »
All of Iced Earth's live DVD Alive in Athens is better than all of their studio versions.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2010, 04:24:39 AM »
El Barto makes a lot of good points in that post. I agree with most of it, something about the PF Studio albums is just magical and there are just no ways to reproduce that magic.

I'm apparently in the minority as I still find this is the case with Octavarium off of Score. It loses something for me personally live.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2010, 07:42:46 AM »
Pain of Salvation - Ending Themes - ! (Foreword)
Pain of Salvation - Ending Themes - Ashes

I love PoS live.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2010, 09:20:07 AM »
Fear of the Dark - Iron Maiden
Yep.

Also, Panic attack by Dream Theater. The version on Chaos in motion is so amazing, I just can't listen to the studio version anymore.  :D

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2010, 09:31:42 AM »
lol wrong thread

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2010, 11:54:08 AM »
All of Iced Earth's live DVD Alive in Athens is better than all of their studio versions.

It's about the same for me. It's great for it's epic set list but I wouldn't say the songs are really that different.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2010, 12:12:18 PM »
Hmm.
I think I may prefer the live version (Either AS or Ilosaarirock) of PT's Trains to the studio version.
Maybe Cheating the Polygraph aswell? not sure.

But definitely Master of Puppets from S&M. Hetfield was ON IT that night.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2010, 12:53:22 PM »

It's about the same for me. It's great for it's epic set list but I wouldn't say the songs are really that different.
The strength in Matt Barlow's voice is more or less the deciding factor for me. He absolutely SLAYS on Alive in Athens. That's not to say he is bad in the studio, but it just sounds so much more powerful.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2010, 01:35:39 PM »
I guess I'm backtracking on Floyd again.  I've never cared for Comfortably Numb at all.  That shit comes on the radio and I change the channel.  I've never seen a live version of it that didn't completely knock my on my ass.  Whether it's David Gilmour being Gilmour at his very best, or it's Waters's stunt guitarists harmonizing a strat and Snowy's Les Paul beautifully.  Always wonderful. 
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2010, 07:05:22 AM »

No question. It's the heavy metal version of Frampton Comes Alive..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2010, 07:16:09 AM »

To be honest every single S&M performance was superb in terms of the actual band members' performances, some were just marred slightly by odd orchestral arrangements. But I say again, Outlaw Torn from that DVD is GOD.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2010, 08:54:02 AM »

To be honest every single S&M performance was superb in terms of the actual band members' performances, some were just marred slightly by odd orchestral arrangements. But I say again, Outlaw Torn from that DVD is GOD.

Maybe because that album was severely " touched up" after the fact. A lot more than the band will tell you..

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2010, 08:59:35 AM »

Maybe because that album was severely " touched up" after the fact. A lot more than the band will tell you..

Yeah that's definitely true, but I don't mind too much if the touching up resulted in recordings significantly better than the studio ones anyway.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
Definitely Hatesong and Trains by PT

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2010, 09:46:39 AM »
As I'm listening to more and more PT live I agree with the statement that there live material sounds better. Gavin always adds a nice touch to his live performances that really make the shows pop.

The live version of Pushit by Tool is great

PF's Learning To Fly from PULSE is stellar and Gilmour's version on Fat Old Sun on "Remember That Night" is amazing.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2010, 01:39:30 AM »
The Dear Hunter's Red Hands is the perfect example.  I actually never cared for the studio version the first time I heard it.  But live....it's just magic.  The way the audience responds to it, the way Casey sings it, it's just fantastic! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LvnxCe5GjI

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2010, 01:55:28 AM »
Listening to The Root Of All Evil from Score. Very good live version. I also should add Eternal Rest by Avenged Sevenfold. The Lotus Eater by Opeth was awesome to see performed live. I never thought humming would make a crowd so loud.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2010, 02:16:52 AM »
Everything This Will Destroy You has ever done.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.