Author Topic: Rammstein Discussion/Appreciation  (Read 48663 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Rammstein Discussion/Appreciation
« Reply #175 on: October 30, 2015, 07:29:33 AM »
I keep forgetting there's an active R+ thread on DTF, dunno why :lol

I just recently got into these guys and have thinking about getting the Blu-Ray. Apparently they just announced that they will be starting work on a new album.

Volkerball DVD is a better performance and setlist but the Amerika bluray is amazing as well, I've watched it a few times so far and I'm in love with the picture and sound quality.

So is it true that this wasn't really filmed in NYC? There is speculation on the net that only the crowd shots are from NYC and the actual performance footage is from a show in Canada.

I know for sure that when the MSG show was announced as their single show in America for the LIFAD tour; masses of Canadian R+ fans arranged road trips and such to get to the show, as well as people all over America. I could go cause money.
But I did catch them twice on the Made in Germany tour, there's gonna be a BR for that eventually too.
BTW the picture in the little credits booklet of the new bluray of R+ in an elevator is mislabeled as California September 17th 2012 but it was actually taken on May 24th 2012 in the AT&T center in San Antonio, Texas. I know cause it was one of the R+ concerts that I went to in 2012 and I know a guy who worked at the AT&T center and actually took a picture in the same elevator with the same elevator attendant. Not that it matters but eh..
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #176 on: October 30, 2015, 11:15:44 AM »
Volkerball is fantastic as well, that whole venue was awesome!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #177 on: October 30, 2015, 11:37:23 AM »
Volkerball is fantastic as well, that whole venue was awesome!

It is great, Metallica filmed a dvd there too, about 6 years ago

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #178 on: October 30, 2015, 01:11:44 PM »
Völkerball is one of my favourite live DVDs of all time. The show is amazing, and the setlist is superb.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2017, 12:50:51 PM »
New Blu Ray/DVD!

German industrial metallers RAMMSTEIN are preparing to release a new concert DVD and Blu-ray, "Paris". The set was recorded in March 2012 at the then-named Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy in Paris (now AccorHotels Arena) during RAMMSTEIN's "Made In Germany" tour, and was helmed by the band's longtime collaborator, Swedish director Jonas Åkerlund.

The first trailer for "Paris" is available below

Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rammstein-to-release-paris-dvd-blu-ray-first-trailer-available/#7gg3j2Ly3yUGj6UX.99

Can't wait for this - I loved the Made in Germany Tour!

https://www.facebook.com/Rammstein/videos/10154603862322713/

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: January 20, 2017, 05:59:17 PM »
Völkerball is one of my favourite live DVDs of all time. The show is amazing, and the setlist is superb.

Fuck yeah man, I wish they'd remaster it for BluRay.
It's also amazing for me cause it's the only R+ that has lyrics subtitled in German, helped me a lot in learning the language. I was so disappointed when they didn't do the same thing with the LIFAD MSG BluRay they released last year.

New Blu Ray/DVD!

German industrial metallers RAMMSTEIN are preparing to release a new concert DVD and Blu-ray, "Paris". The set was recorded in March 2012 at the then-named Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy in Paris (now AccorHotels Arena) during RAMMSTEIN's "Made In Germany" tour, and was helmed by the band's longtime collaborator, Swedish director Jonas Åkerlund.

The first trailer for "Paris" is available below

Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rammstein-to-release-paris-dvd-blu-ray-first-trailer-available/#7gg3j2Ly3yUGj6UX.99

Can't wait for this - I loved the Made in Germany Tour!

https://www.facebook.com/Rammstein/videos/10154603862322713/

Same here. I saw them live twice on that tour. My only complaint was that they opened with Sonne which always felt like an encore kinda song.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #181 on: March 24, 2017, 10:25:12 AM »
Paris to be released on DVD/Blu-Ray and maybe CD(?) in May
On Friday, March 24, the official presale for the concert film "Rammstein: Paris" begins ahead of its worldwide release on May 19.

The film, which will be released in many configurations, sets new standards. In March 2012, during the "Made In Germany" tour, Swedish director Jonas Åkerlund shot two acclaimed RAMMSTEIN concerts at the Palais Omnisports arena in Paris in front of 17,000 spectators.

Featuring 22 songs from the band's entire repertoire, the resulting film is not only the most spectacular collection of imagery about the most successful German rock band of our time, but also a masterpiece of music cinema, capturing RAMMSTEIN's energy as a unique visual and sonic experience.

Åkerlund is notorious for his radical, pioneering video clips for bands such as THE PRODIGY, METALLICA, THE ROLLING STONES, and also RAMMSTEIN. Absurd details, upended perspectives, shocks of contrast, and sensory confusion flicker through his music productions, and in "Rammstein: Paris", he celebrates this from the very first minute.

RAMMSTEIN play 22 songs (128 minutes), ranging from "Wollt Ihr Das Bett In Flammen Sehen?", the first song from the very first album, to "Frühling In Paris", from the last studio album, "Liebe Ist Für Alle Da".

"Rammstein: Paris" was picked up for worldwide rights (excluding Germany, Austria and Switzerland) by Picturehouse Entertainment, the distribution arm of the U.K.'s Picturehouse Cinemas chain.

"Concert films are always a big challenge," said Åkerlund. "I compare it to shooting fireworks. The way I approach it is to try to translate the energy that you get in the room onto film, using every trick in the book to make as much of an impression as I can on the audience."

"Rammstein: Paris" was shot over two nights, using 30 cameras.

"That gives you a massive amount of footage," Åkerlund added."This is a two-hour-twenty-minute show, and I take the footage and cut it with the same precision that I would a three- or four-minute music video. Even with a big crew of editors, it took us over a year to nail down the edit."

Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rammstein-to-release-concert-film-rammstein-paris-in-may/#9w1fzPHPDfkcc3tZ.99

Live video for Wollt Ihr Das Bett In Flammen Sehen?   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqnk9HWbKRA

Video looks awesome, but the rapid edits kill me.  They have some wicked shots though, so it all evens out.  The video quality is amazing again.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #182 on: March 24, 2017, 10:40:54 AM »
I didn't like it. The camera changes every 2 seconds. It looks so artificial like a videoclip and not like a real live concert.

I hope they make another studio album soon.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 10:59:39 AM by ChuckSteak »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #183 on: March 28, 2017, 01:41:25 AM »
I was at the cinema last Friday and I was totally blown away. I think Akerlund did a great job there.

It may sound weird but I am so proud that eastern Germany came up with that band.. Till was born one hour away from where I come from :D
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #184 on: March 28, 2017, 02:25:16 AM »
A bit off-topic, but I spoke to a 61 year old lady in the pub last saturday and guess who she would love to go see live? RAMMSTEIN!  :hefdaddy
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #185 on: March 28, 2017, 09:31:50 AM »
When a band releases a live DVD the first thing they should do is watch a Dream Theater DVD and a Maiden DVD and decide what they want theirs to look like. And then hire DT's crew so that it doesn't piss people off and cause seizures in little Japanese kids.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #186 on: March 28, 2017, 10:26:10 AM »
Yea, that looked more like a music video. Too many edits and effected shots like the slow-mo or the weird stuff they did to Till's face.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2017, 11:23:38 AM »
Yea, that looked more like a music video. Too many edits and effected shots like the slow-mo or the weird stuff they did to Till's face.
I actually liked the distortion on Til's face during the scream. Still, it's not right for a concert video. I had a disagreement with a poster here (who's far, far more qualified to discuss this than I am) about concert videos. Some people think they should be like a movie. I think they should be a documentary. What happened that night is what you see. To each their own, I suppose, but this approach, which Maiden's equally guilty of, annoys the bejeezus out of me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #188 on: June 28, 2017, 03:05:45 PM »
Did anybody attend the Jones Beach or Chicago shows? I really don't want to sit through Hellyeah, but last time through there was turnaround between them and the opener, so I'm not sure when things start exploding. It'd be great to have some idea when to arrive.
E.F. Benson

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #189 on: June 28, 2017, 03:50:20 PM »
I went to Chicago last night. Missed the opener cuz I got there late, but stein killed it as always. Great show.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #190 on: June 28, 2017, 04:27:59 PM »
I went to Chicago last night. Missed the opener cuz I got there late, but stein killed it as always. Great show.
You notice when Ramm went on? Was there a normal intermission between them and the opener?
E.F. Benson

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #191 on: June 28, 2017, 04:57:55 PM »
You notice when Ramm went on? Was there a normal intermission between them and the opener?
Yeah they hit the stage around 9:30....there was a solid 45 minutes between bands. The opening band was called 3TEETH.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #192 on: June 28, 2017, 05:40:31 PM »
Yeah they hit the stage around 9:30....there was a solid 45 minutes between bands. The opening band was called 3TEETH.
Thanks for the info. That's what I needed to know.

3TEETH is a common Tool opener, BTW. Never seen them, though.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #193 on: July 12, 2017, 02:15:35 PM »
Question for FTBD7 (or anybody who saw the Vegas show) that I keep forgetting to ask. Before the show and between songs you could hear comm-chatter from what I gathered was the lighting guy. Almost like Spinal Tap at the air force base. I thought it was pretty amusing and assumed it was intentional, but I guess you never know. Did that happen at other shows, or was there something amiss in Dallas? Also interesting is that my companion didn't notice it at all, so it's possible that one of us was being effected by gin and narcotics. You never know.
E.F. Benson

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #194 on: July 12, 2017, 09:37:42 PM »
Question for FTBD7 (or anybody who saw the Vegas show) that I keep forgetting to ask. Before the show and between songs you could hear comm-chatter from what I gathered was the lighting guy. Almost like Spinal Tap at the air force base. I thought it was pretty amusing and assumed it was intentional, but I guess you never know. Did that happen at other shows, or was there something amiss in Dallas? Also interesting is that my companion didn't notice it at all, so it's possible that one of us was being effected by gin and narcotics. You never know.

I didn't notice anything like that (but I was also several beers deep)

Offline Grappler

« Reply #195 on: July 20, 2017, 09:08:48 AM »
Has anyone else picked up Paris?  Amazon finally sent mine after I pre-ordered the special edition (Blu-ray/2CD) 2 months ago.

The picture quality and sound is fantastic, even on stereo 2.0.  My surround system died a while back and with a 2-year old and a baby on the way, I won't be listening to anything terribly loudly over the next few years.

My only complaint is the CGI and editing.  This is the "directors cut" concert film, and Jonas Akerlund had his way with the rapid-fire editing and added way too many digital effects.  It looks cartoonish at times, with band members almost appearing so CGI and imposed over the stage.  There are a lot of slow-motion effects, often during the pyrotechnic stunts, so you miss out on a wide shot of seeing the stage all blazing in fire. 

Overall, the Madison Square Garden film is much easier to watch, but I love having a document of this tour (and both tours that I saw in 2011 and 2012).  Kudos to the band for recording both of them and finally releasing each concert.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #196 on: July 20, 2017, 04:04:34 PM »
Even the few clips they posted on youtube gave me a headache and overall werent nice to watch. Won't be picking up this one.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #197 on: July 20, 2017, 05:08:19 PM »
I loved their Mutter album back in the day with the video for Sonne (still my favorite Rammstein track), and ever since I've been following. Had the pleasure of seeing their show a month ago at Graspop. It was absolutely amazing. A unique band and still underrated in the mainstream if you ask me. Untouchable at what they do, really.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #198 on: July 21, 2017, 07:07:10 AM »
The editing is frantic for the first few minutes, but it relaxes as the show progresses. Give it a try.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: July 29, 2017, 11:36:02 AM »
I'm excited about getting the Paris BR, I like it when bands do experimental filming/editing of live shows, I don't see nearly enough of it.
My main concern is whether or not it has subtitles, the last few releases didn't. Volkerball did and it was pretty great for my German learning.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #200 on: July 29, 2017, 10:19:17 PM »
I'm excited about getting the Paris BR, I like it when bands do experimental filming/editing of live shows, I don't see nearly enough of it.
My main concern is whether or not it has subtitles, the last few releases didn't. Volkerball did and it was pretty great for my German learning.

No subtitles for the concert.  The Behind the Scenes section does have subtitles for the German conversations and interviews.  I miss the option of having subtitles, but it is what it is.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #201 on: July 30, 2017, 01:49:18 PM »
I saw about half of the Paris DVD, and all I gotta say is that it's a shame the director completely ruined what could've been an amazing concert film. I've seen them 3 times and that tour was my favorite, so I was looking forward to the DVD. The shots looked great, but the constant cutting was just completely obnoxious and unnecessary. Otherwise, everything else was good.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: July 30, 2017, 03:26:43 PM »
I liked the Made in Germany tour okay but the Reise, Reise tour takes the cake as their best by far IMO. Mutter tour being a close second.
By LIFAD & MIG it felt that the band is just going through the motion and not as motivated as they were back then, especially Lindemann, I know age is a big factor but he has scaled back on a lot of his old theatrical antiques.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #203 on: July 30, 2017, 06:53:51 PM »
I liked the Made in Germany tour okay but the Reise, Reise tour takes the cake as their best by far IMO. Mutter tour being a close second.
By LIFAD & MIG it felt that the band is just going through the motion and not as motivated as they were back then, especially Lindemann, I know age is a big factor but he has scaled back on a lot of his old theatrical antiques.

I can agree with that. For the record I meant MiG was my favorite of the 3 that I saw (LIFAD, MiG & the tour this year)

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #204 on: July 31, 2017, 06:02:45 PM »
They really need a new album honestly. It gets kinda old when you keep releasing live versions of the same songs we've heard a thousand times (and always with a lack of Herzeleid and Sehnsucht).
Theatrics are okay, but they don't make a music show.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #205 on: July 31, 2017, 06:26:08 PM »
They really need a new album honestly. It gets kinda old when you keep releasing live versions of the same songs we've heard a thousand times (and always with a lack of Herzeleid and Sehnsucht).
Theatrics are okay, but they don't make a music show.

Yup, there's only so many ways you can listen to the same things, especially since the live versions are pretty identical to the studio versions.

I would suggest doing a unique concert. Change up the songs a bit, in how they play them. Maybe add an orchestra, or do a piano/acoustic type thing or something that actually makes the songs themselves more interesting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #206 on: July 31, 2017, 06:40:27 PM »
I would suggest doing a unique concert. Change up the songs a bit, in how they play them. Maybe add an orchestra, or do a piano/acoustic type thing or something that actually makes the songs themselves more interesting.
Oh no! John Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra!
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #207 on: May 15, 2018, 10:37:24 AM »
Not really familiar with these guys.  I've heard a thing or two here and there through the years, and remember reading a few things about them.  Each time they have come up, I have concluded: not my cuppa'.

This came up on my YouTube playlist yesterday after I was listening to something else:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5dO5lhnI1M  So I let it play in the background while I was working and doing other things.  And then did some more reading about them.  At the end of it all, my conclusion remains where it was.  Except that I probably have an even lower opinion of them than I did.  The music is decent.  And the live spectacle is pretty amazing.  But the listening experience ultimately isn't something I would gravitate toward very frequently.  And on top of that, it just seems like their whole gimmick is to be as edgy and controversial as possible, while denying that they are being edgy and controversial, and putting forth an air of, "What?  It's just music, man.  We're just artists, and we can't help it if people read things into our music/image that aren't there."  I find that type of persona to be very disingenuous and offputting.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Grappler

« Reply #208 on: May 15, 2018, 11:59:31 AM »
They don't deny the controversial nature of their lyrics and stage performances.  They embrace it - Mein Teil is about a cannibalism case in Germany, and the band read the news article about it and said "hey, this is so messed up that we NEED to have a song about it."  They don't shy away from talking about song topics.  They like to push the envelope, but you are correct that their opinion is that it shouldn't really be controversial - it's just music at the end of the day, and they hit on some of the darker or more private aspects of life.

That's all it is - it's Kiss on steroids, full on shock-rock.  Let's take the theatrics to 11, add more fire and pyrotechnics, and push people's buttons with sexual lyrics and imagery.

PS:  Their live shows are total spectacles and amazing, regardless of anything else.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #209 on: May 15, 2018, 12:30:21 PM »
I don't think we are really disagreeing, so much as just saying the same thing in different ways.  It's not that they shy away from it, but more so that they are in denial about a lot of things being controversial/shocking, while simultaneously going to great lengths to be controversial/shocking.  A lot of quotes I saw were along the lines of, "Yeah, nothing to see here.  If people feel this is controversial, that's on them, not us."  I dunno.  I still feel like I'm not really articulating what I am trying to get across, but it just rubs me the wrong way.  Even if I ultimately didn't listen to them, I would...hold them in higher regard, for lack of better description, if they portrayed themselves and their music more along the lines of, "Look, we are all about shock and controversy, and if you don't get off on that type of thing, we're probably just not the band for you, but check us out anyway and draw your own conclusions."  I don't know if that makes sense.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."