Author Topic: What was your first new DT album release and your reaction?  (Read 13689 times)

Offline perfectchaos180

So basically what was the first album to come out once you became a fan?

For me it was Systematic Chaos, I first heard them right after Octavarium came out but didn't get really into them until summer/fall of 06. I was really excited, I couldn't resist the leak, but I went and bought the special edition the day it came out. It was an awesome feeling to buy a brand new DT release because I was obsessed by that time.

Its actually good that it was Systematic Chaos because it probably makes me like the album better than I would otherwise. I loved ITPOE right away, liked Constant Motion and The Ministry of Lost Souls a lot. My opinion on the album hasn't changed much really.

It is bad in the sense that I just missed the (what seemed to be) amazing Octavarium tour, but oh well.

Hey I am reaching for topic ideas I know its not the best, but... share!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: What was your first new DT album release and your reaction?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 11:56:57 AM »
Train of Thought. I joined the boards a few months before its release so I remember getting excited along with everyone else. It kicked my ass on first listen because I didn't expect it to be that heavy. It's weird to think how much I spun that album way back then but now it's my second to least favorite.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 11:58:02 AM »
Octavarium.

I was shocked at how fresh the album sounded.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 11:58:20 AM »
In a sense, Octavarium would be that album for me, but I was so casual a fan that I got Octavarium way later because I didn't know about it. Once I did I bought it, and it took a while to grow.

I would consider SC the first DT album I truly anticipated. I loved it at first, but it got stale really fast. And to think, TMOLS was my favorite upon first listen. Now I really do not like the song at all.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 12:05:48 PM »
Train of Thought was the first new release I experienced, and I was really disappointed. I didn't like the new "heavy" approach, and I thought the instrumental sections were absurdly drawn out. I've come to like it more since the initial release, but it still marks the beginning of a huge decline in the quality of DT's music, in my opinion.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 12:08:19 PM »
Octavarium, I became a fan around the time of Live at Budokan's release and actually was disappointed with it. After hearing ToT, and being in a metal binge at the time, I thought this was gonna be just like ToT. Of course my opinion of it has change over the years, but it's still on the bottom tier of DT albums for me.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 12:14:18 PM »
I'm with the OP on this one. The release of Systematic Chaos was my introduction to DT, and I probably wouldn't like it as much if that weren't the case.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 12:30:24 PM »
SFAM. Although the first song I heard was Metropolis.

I just remember being blown away by the music and hating the vocals. Luckily that last part changed quickly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mladen

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 12:32:54 PM »
Black clouds and silver linings, being a fan since late 2007. I really liked it and I still do, it's my 5th favorite Dream Theater album overall.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 12:35:44 PM »
Black clouds and silver linings, being a fan since late 2007. I really liked it and I still do, it's my 5th favorite Dream Theater album overall.

You were a fan of DT for 2 years before you got your first DT record?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 12:37:19 PM »
Systematic chaos, it was in the paper, and it said like "Tomorrow dream theater releases a new album" I was ike... :O :O Wow! :D and then I heard it and my first thought was..hmmm, cool, and then it grew on me and now I think it's definetely oneof thir best albums

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 12:42:19 PM »
I guess Awake was the new first album I bought as a fan. I was pumped for the follow-up to I&W, as that was my favorite album at the time and my musical tastes were changing toward that style of prog-metal-whatever you classify it as. I thought it was great, though it took a few more listens than I&W to really get in to. It never really surpassed I&W as my favorite album, though it was a solid second.

Since then, some new albums I loved right away, some took a few listens to fully appreciate, a couple had a drop off after a year or two, a couple I liked for what they were. The only new album I considered a major letdown when I bought it was FII. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 12:46:19 PM »
I became a fan after Constant Motion came out on Rock Band, so the first album that came out for me was Black Clouds and Silver Linings.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 12:48:02 PM »
I guess Awake was the new first album I bought as a fan. I was pumped for the follow-up to I&W, as that was my favorite album at the time and my musical tastes were changing toward that style of prog-metal-whatever you classify it as. I thought it was great, though it took a few more listens than I&W to really get in to. It never really surpassed I&W as my favorite album, though it was a solid second.

Since then, some new albums I loved right away, some took a few listens to fully appreciate, a couple had a drop off after a year or two, a couple I liked for what they were. The only new album I considered a major letdown when I bought it was FII. 

This almost exactly, other than the fact that I immediately loved Awake.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 12:52:43 PM »
BC&SL I suppose, although that was a while after I'd started listening. What's weird is that I only got a few albums at first, then right as BC&SL was coming out I finished my collection so I was in the midst of loads of different DT time periods, which is objectively a terrible idea but was pretty cool.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 01:27:12 PM »
I became a fan right after SC came out. I didn't know the band, so when I checked them out I was blown away. I acquired their discography quite fast, so I was very familiar with all their stuff when BCSL came out.

I thought it was a very good album. It fastly became my 4th favorite album and now it's probably my 5th or 6th favorite.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 01:39:59 PM »
You were a fan of DT for 2 years before you got your first DT record?
I thought the question was what was the first album that came out once I became a fan, and what was my initial reaction to it.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 01:44:41 PM »
Black Clouds & Silver Linings and I loved it right from the start. I picked it up from Best Buy the day it came out and poped it into my car's CD player so I could listen to it a bit before I listen to the whole thing at home. A Nightmare to Remember kicked in and I was :letam: :2metal: :metal the whole way home.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 01:49:17 PM »
I was a casual fan from around early 08 and really got into DT at the beginning of 09. I was very excited when BC&SL was released and I loved it right away. TCOT quickly became my favorite DT song and was only recently dethroned by Learning to Live.:D BC&SL is now my 4th favorite DT album behind I&W, Awake, and SDOIT.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 01:50:56 PM »
TCOT quickly became my favorite DT song and was only recently dethroned by Learning to Live.:D

'Atta boy.

Offline OperantChamber

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 02:40:21 PM »
Black Clouds & Silver Linings. My initial reaction was "ohfuckyes" to Nightmare to Remember.
:letam: :2metal: :metal

Online Dream Team

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 02:53:43 PM »
Train of Thought.

VERY disappointed. It was my least favorite for awhile, but is now up above Systematic Chaos, Octavarium, and Falling Into Infinity.

Trivia: I got banned from the old forum for bashing this album . . . :D

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 03:13:10 PM »
Awake.

6:00 sounded kinda weird at the beginning, but the album grew on me fast and I thought it was an epic follow up to I&W.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 03:13:25 PM »
TCOT quickly became my favorite DT song and was only recently dethroned by Learning to Live.:D

'Atta boy.
:lol :tup
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 03:33:07 PM »
Falling Into Infinity.

I became a fan in 1995, upon hearing Awake, and I quickly picked up and loved both I&W and ACOS.  Then I had to wait 2 years before getting a fresh record.  I absolutely was pleased with FII upon its release.  A friend of mine and I bought it the day it was released.  I remember we did think "New Millenium" was a bit odd at first, but it subsequently rocked us at the instrumental break and with the outro riff @ 7:19.  Once we got to "Peruvian Skies," I was completely sold :metal

It's weird because I don't share a lot of the low opinions many fans have towards songs like "Burning My Soul" and, particularly, "You Not Me."  I still think part of it is because I liked those songs before I knew about the turmoil surrounding the writing/recording of the album.  Likewise, I didn't know about the demos at the time, either.  Therefore, I'm one who prefers the record as it is; the songs on the demos might be great, but that's not the FII I grew up with.  So I think there's a definite emotional attachment, too.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 03:39:07 PM by contest_sanity »

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 06:14:57 PM »
Black Clouds was the first album release, Chaos in Motion the first release of any kind.
By that time, I had become a significant DT fan, so its not as if I was stunned by the sound of the album, but I remember when A Rite of Passage first came out as a video, and I was pretty pumped.
Then, sitting in my living room, listening to BCSL with Global Laziness, and just rocking out.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 08:18:26 PM »
6o, jaw dropped,

/story
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2010, 08:23:58 PM »
I had been a fan for 3 years by the time IaW was released. So when their "new" album came out, I was really looking forward to buying it and hearing it. Imagine my SHOCK when this new album sounded NOTHING like the album I had grown to love for the last 3 years. I knew Charlie was gone, but it wasn't just the voice, but everything sounded completely different from what I was used to. Obviously, I got used to their "new" sound, but it did take some time.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2010, 08:30:56 PM »
The first song I heard from DT where Overture 1928/Strange dejavu, I was blown away, later that year i bought I&W(When i heard the intro from Metropolis i was like "OMG it soundz like the overturrree omgzzzz lol) and Awake at the same time and i fell in love with the band.
The first new release was Octavarium, and my reaction was kind of: "first and last track are amazing the rest it's pretty meh" and i still think the same.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2010, 09:15:39 PM »
I had been a fan for 3 years by the time IaW was released. So when their "new" album came out, I was really looking forward to buying it and hearing it. Imagine my SHOCK when this new album sounded NOTHING like the album I had grown to love for the last 3 years. I knew Charlie was gone, but it wasn't just the voice, but everything sounded completely different from what I was used to. Obviously, I got used to their "new" sound, but it did take some time.

So you're sayin you're glad you decided to take the time?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 12:38:46 AM »
I became a fan in 2007 right after SC was released, I remember having Forsaken as my favourite track off it. I thought SC was great until I discovered their other albums, and now it's near the bottom of their album ranking for me. Although I had bought I&W and Awake a few years earlier I wasn't a fan yet. So my first DT release since becoming a fan was actually Black Clouds (not counting live DVD's and such).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 01:58:41 AM »
I first heard DT in 2002, Once in a LIVEtime but didn't really become a real fan til around 2007 after Systematic Chaos, although I never bought the record, I was too busy delving into the back catalogue.  So BC&SL was the first album release.  I was pretty underwhelmed by it after only just discovering Images and Words, Awake, SDOIT etc etc. but I've grown to love it. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 04:41:29 AM »
Images and Words was my first album from DT, and probably my introduction to prog.  I was floored by the tightness of the band, the variety in songs, the guitar solos, the vocals and just how much the album breathed, great production.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 08:07:28 AM »
I & W.  I heard Pull Me Under on he radio and I went out that day and bought it. It was love at first sight. ;D
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline robwebster

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 08:42:42 AM »
I think I started listening a few months before Live at Budokan, but my first hotly anticipated release was Octavarium. I lived, breathed and - well, shat! - Octavarium for all the months leading up to its release, and then when I finally listened to it I splurged everywhere. One of the strangest albums in their discography, with its negative-tracks and the immediate, almost poppy mood, but it's become my favourite. In fact, it did the second I started up TROAE.

The Root of All Evil and Octavarium, between them, are a good sample of my entire music taste. Variously catchy and haunting and straight-forward and rocky and metallic and soaring and exhilarating and complicated and soulful and all of these wonderful things at the same time. If someone asked me to condense my tastes in music into thirty minutes-ish, I'd plop those two on a disc and be done with it. They've got everything that I love in microcosm.