Author Topic: The Deep Purple Appreciation Thread v. All I Hear Is "Burn!"  (Read 21769 times)

Offline Dedalus

Re: The Deep Purple Appreciation Thread v. All I Hear Is "Burn!"
« Reply #175 on: September 02, 2021, 05:19:53 PM »
:icwomangs:

:metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #176 on: September 03, 2021, 06:49:57 AM »
Wow, I'm in.  The last couple have been good. Not Fireball good, but as good as anything since the "big four".

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2021, 07:12:54 AM »
I really like the streak of albums they've released these couple of years, so I'm excited for this one.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2021, 11:08:24 AM »
Cool, I liked the last couple of records so if this is in the same vein, I'm in.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #179 on: September 04, 2021, 05:00:32 AM »
I'm not the biggest fan of the recent Purple albums, but Whoosh! was very good. I'll certainly give the new one a spin.

Offline fivestring

• I like cheese
« Reply #180 on: September 04, 2021, 11:47:37 AM »
NEW ALBUM IN 33 DAYS!

https://www.ear-music.net/turning-to-crime/

:omg:

I really like the streak of albums they've released these couple of years, so I'm excited for this one.

:tup

Their recent output has been far better than I could have imagined. And now another one?? I'm still enjoying how good Whoosh is. I hope this quick turnaround continues this musical streak they are on!

:metal
Quote from: Ben_Jamin
it's a great way to showcase the drum sound by introducing the album with that awesome drumming and sound.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #181 on: September 23, 2021, 03:56:20 PM »
Question: do we actually know that this is a countown to the album? Maybe it's only a single. They are a bit sketchy on the details.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #182 on: September 23, 2021, 03:58:31 PM »
Question: do we actually know that this is a countown to the album? Maybe it's only a single. They are a bit sketchy on the details.

We don't.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #184 on: September 24, 2021, 03:16:50 PM »
I guess no one expected this...

https://blabbermouth.net/news/deep-purple-to-release-covers-album-turning-to-crime-in-november-track-listing-artwork-revealed/

Really, I didn't expect covers.

If the band makes covers with the same spirit that they did on the first two albums it can be very interesting.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #185 on: September 24, 2021, 03:20:53 PM »
I guess no one expected this...

https://blabbermouth.net/news/deep-purple-to-release-covers-album-turning-to-crime-in-november-track-listing-artwork-revealed/

Really, I didn't expect covers.

If the band makes covers with the same spirit that they did on the first two albums it can be very interesting.

WOW.  I did not see this coming.  I don't know how I feel about that.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #186 on: September 25, 2021, 01:47:51 AM »
Oookay, I don't mind the occasional cover tune, in fact there are some awesome versions out there, but I've hardly ever enjoyed a whole album of cover tunes. At least they didn't choose the usual suspects for the most part.

But my excitement for this is waning.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #187 on: September 25, 2021, 05:58:31 PM »
How amazing would it have been if this was an album of new songs? But hey, I do understand the limitations imposed by the lockdown, and although a covers album is hardly something to be excited about, Purple always made a point of putting their own stamp on the songs they covered, and it amazes me that they remained so productive through all these years. More power to them, and bring on the covers album!!!

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #188 on: September 26, 2021, 08:08:12 AM »
How amazing would it have been if this was an album of new songs? But hey, I do understand the limitations imposed by the lockdown, and although a covers album is hardly something to be excited about, Purple always made a point of putting their own stamp on the songs they covered, and it amazes me that they remained so productive through all these years. More power to them, and bring on the covers album!!!

Absolutely! Plus, how cool it would be if more bands use their free time to release cover albums? By the way, I'm intrigued by the name of the first song: "Volume 1"? What if is this is a mistake? What if is there's another record coming soon?  ;)

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 08:10:22 AM by JediKnight1969 »

Offline fivestring

• I like cheese
« Reply #190 on: October 07, 2021, 11:39:35 AM »
Yeah... not as excited for a covers album. I guess the short time since Whoosh now makes sense. Would have been crazy to get a whole album of new music that soon! I enjoy the occasional cover on an album, but never been a fan of big/major bands doing whole cover albums.  The track-listing on this has songs that I'm not entirely familiar with, so I guess I'll wait to hear the tunes I do know to hear the Purple-interpretation and how that is. I'll give it a listen when it comes out, but it's not a must-buy for me.
Quote from: Ben_Jamin
it's a great way to showcase the drum sound by introducing the album with that awesome drumming and sound.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #192 on: April 24, 2024, 08:00:07 AM »
One of the greatest and most influential rock bands of all time releases new album ‘=1’, on July 19th via earMUSIC.
The first single will be unveiled on April 30th at midnight, a taster for the full 13 tracks of pioneering and rip-roaring rock ‘n’ roll. Deep Purple continue their charge of recent years, releasing hit albums and filling arenas around the world, adding yet more layers to their 100 million album selling legacy.

The band are credited as one of the key originators of heavy rock and have constantly progressed their boundaries of music. They are fronted by the legendary Ian Gillan, whose vocals have defined generations, accompanied by the masterful bassist Roger Glover, the powerhouse drummer Ian Paice, and the maestro on keyboards Don Airey. This is the band’s first album with sensational guitarist Simon McBride, who seamlessly slotted in when longtime member Steve Morse left due to personal circumstances. Since 2022, Simon has already played to Deep Purple audiences totaling more than half a million people.

But Deep Purple is more than just their members and ‘=1’ embodies the essence and attitude of their 1970s incarnation possibly more than any other album in recent memory. With the legendary Bob Ezrin once again producing, the record evokes the pioneering band’s classic sound, without relying on nostalgia.

The enigmatic title ‘=1’ symbolises the idea that in a world growing ever more complex, everything eventually simplifies down to a single, unified essence. Everything equals one.

Its full meaning will be revealed in the coming weeks, with the artwork also playing its part. Fans have already been speculating after mysterious equations and depictions of multiverses appeared in London, Paris, and Berlin in recent days.

With three consecutive No.1 albums in their back pocket and a resurgent new energy powering them forward, this is Deep Purple at their pinnacle.

https://deeppurple.shop.musictoday.com/
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #193 on: April 24, 2024, 08:26:13 AM »
If that's the actual artwork, I kinda quite like it.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #194 on: April 24, 2024, 08:26:37 AM »
Wow.  I'll check it out, of course, but it's kinda hard for me to hear Deep Purple without either Ritchie Blackmore or Jon Lord.  Ian's voice will have to do it for me.  Yeah, yeah, Roger and Ian are still in the band, and I'm sure they're great.  I guess we'll see.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: April 24, 2024, 08:39:59 AM »
I've really enjoyed their last couple of albums, and I will definitely check this one out.

I don't know how to pronounce the album title though  :P  "Equals one"?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #196 on: April 24, 2024, 09:10:21 AM »
One of the greatest and most influential rock bands of all time releases new album ‘=1’, on July 19th via earMUSIC.
The first single will be unveiled on April 30th at midnight, a taster for the full 13 tracks of pioneering and rip-roaring rock ‘n’ roll. Deep Purple continue their charge of recent years, releasing hit albums and filling arenas around the world, adding yet more layers to their 100 million album selling legacy.

The band are credited as one of the key originators of heavy rock and have constantly progressed their boundaries of music. They are fronted by the legendary Ian Gillan, whose vocals have defined generations, accompanied by the masterful bassist Roger Glover, the powerhouse drummer Ian Paice, and the maestro on keyboards Don Airey. This is the band’s first album with sensational guitarist Simon McBride, who seamlessly slotted in when longtime member Steve Morse left due to personal circumstances. Since 2022, Simon has already played to Deep Purple audiences totaling more than half a million people.

But Deep Purple is more than just their members and ‘=1’ embodies the essence and attitude of their 1970s incarnation possibly more than any other album in recent memory. With the legendary Bob Ezrin once again producing, the record evokes the pioneering band’s classic sound, without relying on nostalgia.

The enigmatic title ‘=1’ symbolises the idea that in a world growing ever more complex, everything eventually simplifies down to a single, unified essence. Everything equals one.

Its full meaning will be revealed in the coming weeks, with the artwork also playing its part. Fans have already been speculating after mysterious equations and depictions of multiverses appeared in London, Paris, and Berlin in recent days.

With three consecutive No.1 albums in their back pocket and a resurgent new energy powering them forward, this is Deep Purple at their pinnacle.

Oh they can just fuck off with that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #197 on: April 24, 2024, 09:11:31 AM »
Did they blow all the budget for the album on the cover art?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #198 on: April 24, 2024, 09:18:51 AM »
I've really enjoyed their last couple of albums, and I will definitely check this one out.

I don't know how to pronounce the album title though  :P  "Equals one"?
Exactly.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Mladen

« Reply #199 on: April 24, 2024, 11:36:46 AM »
Wow, these guys aren't messing around, are they?  :metal

I thought Whoosh! was the last thing we'd hear from them, but turns out, they're still at it. I'll gladly check out the album, as I thought Whoosh! was the best one since Purpendicular.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #200 on: April 24, 2024, 11:46:52 AM »
I listened to Whoosh when it came out and thought it was decent.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol