Author Topic: The Deep Purple Appreciation Thread v. All I Hear Is "Burn!"  (Read 21402 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Deep Purple Appreciation Thread v. All I Hear Is "Burn!"
« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2020, 09:25:24 AM »
That spirit of really pushing boundaries was always the province of Blackmore and Lord.   It lingered in the Morse era due to Lord, but his passing REALLY changed the vibe of the group.   Not necessarily saying for the worse, and Airey is an AMAZING player, but he's the quintessential sideman.   Lord was first and foremost a composer, and Glover had this to say about Ritchie

"Working with Ritchie… It's obviously… He's probably the most important musician I've ever worked with, alongside Jon Lord and Ian Gillan and Ian Paice and so on. And very influential, and certainly I wouldn't be here today without his input, and he was a brilliant guitarist — still is a brilliant guitarist. But more than that, he was an auteur, if you know what I mean. He wrote things in ways that people hadn't, and he attacked the guitar… He doesn't get his due, really, as an iconic guitar player."

Only tangentially related:  this is a very good interview and a nice insight to his dry, drier, driest sense of humor.  I love this line (when asked how he felt about his music being called heavy metal):  “It’s better than punk, which means inferior. It suits us fine. I know I can play a bloody concerto any day, so it doesn’t bother me at all. It would bother someone who was sensitive and knew their limitations.”  Bear in mind that not five paragraphs before he called himself "sensitive" and declared himself "one who knew his limitations".   

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2020, 01:14:41 PM »
It's true. But to be fair, Blackmore hasn't pushed anything in the past 20 years.

But I have no complaints about these gentlemen. None of them.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #142 on: July 31, 2020, 01:52:13 PM »

Only tangentially related:  this is a very good interview and a nice insight to his dry, drier, driest sense of humor.  I love this line (when asked how he felt about his music being called heavy metal):  “It’s better than punk, which means inferior. It suits us fine. I know I can play a bloody concerto any day, so it doesn’t bother me at all. It would bother someone who was sensitive and knew their limitations.”  Bear in mind that not five paragraphs before he called himself "sensitive" and declared himself "one who knew his limitations".   

Cool interview. Blackmore is a nutty character.  I loved his take on the differences between Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: August 03, 2020, 08:09:47 AM »
It's true. But to be fair, Blackmore hasn't pushed anything in the past 20 years.

But I have no complaints about these gentlemen. None of them.

I don't think that's true at all.  He hasn't pushed ROCK boundaries, but some of his playing on the Renaissance material is technically pretty good.  Many of the covers they do - of his material and that of others, like Jethro Tull - bring the material to a new place.   I dragged my daughter to a Blackmore's Night show (kicking and screaming) and at one point during the extended version of "Soldier of Fortune", she turned to me and said something to the effect of "that guy is really good".  (She also asked me "why don't you play like that" and I told her to shut the hell up.)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #144 on: August 03, 2020, 09:47:17 AM »
I'm going back through the Deep Purple discography for the second time in the last ten years in order to prepare for the new album. I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying Purpendicular at the moment.  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2020, 09:48:05 AM »
Someone really needs to do a Deep Purple Discography Thread.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #146 on: August 03, 2020, 11:00:40 AM »
Earlier this year I listened to the complete discography of Purple and Sabbath in parallel, but I did Sabbath from first t last, and Purple from last to first. I'm happy to do it again for a thread.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: August 03, 2020, 11:25:19 AM »
I'd do one too, if need be.  I'd need a couple weeks to get shit in order.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #148 on: August 07, 2020, 02:59:58 PM »
That's fair. Not trying to sound like a dick. :lol

I think I get frustrated because I keep expecting more from them. I guess the same could be said for my favorite band, UFO, where I have found the Vinnie Moore Era extremely disappointing. But I love them, and I get over it.

I think they earned their right to be predictable at this stage. The guys from the classic lineup are well into their seventies, and they have 21 albums under their belts. If they want to still be productive, more power to them!!! But I don't think you came across as a dick in your post, you don't HAVE to like what they do musically these days, to respect the fact that they're still carrying on.

So based on this exchange last week, I felt like I owed this album more than just a "drop the needle" treatment. I committed myself to a full length listen.

I liken them to UFO in that they've continued to make albums , and I like them, but I think that stems from me being a fan.

Anyway with an open mind in that regard I just finished my listen.

I must say, this album is very good to excellent! Really strong material and a couple of songs really got me head bobbing big time. I've never been a huge Gillan guy, but he really sounds good on this. Bob Ezrin has really worked his magic on this one. He really has an impact.

Steve Morse is really good on this, but Don Airey really stands out as the star of this album to me.

My only two gripes would be...I wish the guitar was a bit higher in the mix, and at 13 tracks (though one is an awesome minute and a half instrumental), they could've easily cut a 2 or 3 lesser tracks. But again, it's all gravy innit?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #149 on: August 07, 2020, 03:35:41 PM »
Just pulled out Come Taste the Band for a listen and I must say, this album kicks ass. A much underrated DP album that’s better than Stormbringer and stands up quite well to Burn, but not much talked about.

I figured I'd follow up Whoosh with this, and yes, you are correct on all counts. Tommy Bolin really rips on this album. Would've loved to have heard more from him.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #150 on: August 07, 2020, 03:54:03 PM »
I just put Perfect Strangers, Purpendicular, Abandon, Bananas, and Rapture of the Deep in a playlist (all of my "later" DP), and played through all of them.  Well, I didn't "just" do it; this took place over the past couple of hours.  Anyway, it was solid.  All of it.

I'm not sure why, but I didn't expect the newer stuff (and by that, I mean anything after the 70's) to hold up, but it did.  Good old-fashioned hard rock.  Not heavy metal, no screaming, just solid rock and roll.  It's been a good day. :)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #151 on: August 07, 2020, 05:31:51 PM »
To me, the 70's Deep Purple is superior to what they did from Perfect Strangers onwards. I consider the Coverdale phase as good as the Gillan phase. And Come Taste the Band is amazing: Bolin, without guitar riffs, made a great work on it. But, after that, I also think they did a lot of very very good albums like Perfect Strangers, The House of Blue Light (yes, I think so... only Call of the Wild is the weak spot), Purpendicular (this one maybe at 70's level of quality, I LOVE it), Abandon, Bananas (yes, I also think so.... IMO that non-sense cover and Lord's absence didn't help to people take it seriously), What Now and Whooosh. Even the "worst" albums have a lot of good songs.
From my first impression, Whoosh is really good, I think it has an even more relaxed/rock 'n' roll vibe than its 2 predecessors and it is very inspired. The album starts very consistent, but from The Long Way Round (great pairing with The Power of the Moon) to its end is really great! If they released Remission Possible/Man Alive together together as a single, it would be way better! And The Adress is so cool as instrumental, another great standout.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #152 on: August 08, 2020, 03:50:24 AM »
I'm a person who likes all their albums, seriously. This was posted today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVsD2FQXCBA&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0kNkLKF5SMbEMrqulbe1AtbjuE7MJmpq3KWshPAUjIp9Eywwc9mTeiMqk , a nice series of interviews, them being their typical intellectual selves as ever. (particularly Gilly). Paicey even hints at Purple 22 in the end. (given their lack of live shows now) Great.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Mladen

« Reply #153 on: August 08, 2020, 07:29:56 AM »
It would be odd if they had another album in them, because they closed Whoosh! with a new version of the instrumental that opens their debut. I thought that was supposed to be some sort of a "full circle" thing, but maybe they're trolling us.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2020, 07:33:56 AM »
Gilly is known for playing tricks I'm sure :D

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #155 on: August 08, 2020, 08:10:11 AM »
It would be odd if they had another album in them, because they closed Whoosh! with a new version of the instrumental that opens their debut. I thought that was supposed to be some sort of a "full circle" thing, but maybe they're trolling us.

Wow, that TOTALLY slipped my radar, but it's true!! "And the Address" was on their first album!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #156 on: August 08, 2020, 01:38:25 PM »

That was exactly my thought when I got the album, barring that bonus track. "Is this the final album? The last song on here is the first song on the first album." Not to mention Mr. Spaceman getting Thanos'd on the cover with the title making me thing "and just like that, whoosh, they're gone". Plus the band's logo on this album is pretty reminiscent of their first one.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #157 on: August 08, 2020, 02:42:13 PM »
Just pulled out Come Taste the Band for a listen and I must say, this album kicks ass. A much underrated DP album that’s better than Stormbringer and stands up quite well to Burn, but not much talked about.

I figured I'd follow up Whoosh with this, and yes, you are correct on all counts. Tommy Bolin really rips on this album. Would've loved to have heard more from him.

Yah it’s too bad there wasn’t a real Tommy Bolin era for DP. I suspect this album gets overlooked since it was basically a one and done before Bolin’s death, leading to the departure of Coverdale and Hughes. Not to mention the shock and awe of this being the first DP album without Ritchie Blackmore.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #158 on: August 08, 2020, 02:45:49 PM »
Tommy actually died after the first incarnation of Purple disbanded.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #159 on: August 08, 2020, 02:55:37 PM »
Tommy actually died after the first incarnation of Purple disbanded.

I see. So the band had already broken up before Tommy Bolin’s death.
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #160 on: August 08, 2020, 03:27:00 PM »
They broke up a few months before, due to Tommy and Glenn's drug abuse, the incident in Jakarta where the band was forced to play, arrested and barred from leaving the country for a few days, and many shortcomings at the time. I think there was a show in England where they finished the main set and Coverdale said to Jon Lord "you know what? After this show, I'm out of the band!". And Jon replied "what band? There's no band anymore..."

Offline devieira73

« Reply #161 on: August 08, 2020, 07:47:13 PM »

Wow, that TOTALLY slipped my radar, but it's true!! "And the Address" was on their first album!
Very interesting live performance of this song. What a party!
https://youtu.be/YV7UyeJzPng

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #162 on: August 08, 2020, 07:53:57 PM »

Very interesting live performance of this song. What a party!
https://youtu.be/YV7UyeJzPng

I've actually seen that before. Man, to be Hugh Hefner for a day back then..

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: August 10, 2020, 06:46:22 AM »
I just put Perfect Strangers, Purpendicular, Abandon, Bananas, and Rapture of the Deep in a playlist (all of my "later" DP), and played through all of them.  Well, I didn't "just" do it; this took place over the past couple of hours.  Anyway, it was solid.  All of it.

I'm not sure why, but I didn't expect the newer stuff (and by that, I mean anything after the 70's) to hold up, but it did.  Good old-fashioned hard rock.  Not heavy metal, no screaming, just solid rock and roll.  It's been a good day. :)

The Battle Rages On.  The last "Blackmore/Gillan" album.  One of the best "riff" albums I own, meaning, it may not be the best album in terms of songs or performances, but there are more cool little "riffs" from Blackmore on that album than almost any in the catalogue.  He was pissed off - having Gillan "forced" on him by the record company - and an angry Blackmore is an incendiary Blackmore (no surprise he quit the tour midway, after a petulant, childish in Birmingham, well documented on the "Come Hell Or High Water" DVD set).

I'm personally a big fan of "Abandon"; it's up there among my favorite Morse-era albums.

TAC, though I haven't heard "Whoosh!" yet, if you like that you might want to check out "Now What?!"; it's a solid record all around, and the first after the passing of Jon Lord (though not the first one without him playing) and the first one produced by Bob Ezrin (he's done the last three).     

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #164 on: August 10, 2020, 07:04:36 AM »

TAC, though I haven't heard "Whoosh!" yet, if you like that you might want to check out "Now What?!"; it's a solid record all around, and the first after the passing of Jon Lord (though not the first one without him playing) and the first one produced by Bob Ezrin (he's done the last three).   

I'm going to plan on going through all of the Moore albums. I started with Pupendicular the other night, which was really good. It started off great, but started to tail off towards the end. But that was only one listen.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #165 on: August 15, 2020, 07:47:39 AM »
The new album is more consistent than their last several releases. I like that the songs are for the most part short and to the point, and then there are the more out-there tracks at the very end, like Man alive, The Power of the moon and The Long way round. Those are actually the highlights for me.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #166 on: August 21, 2020, 10:55:43 AM »
I'm in Heaven...I just spoke for 40 minutes with Steve Morse!!! We spoke about the new album a lot, but also about Dixie Dregs, Flying Colors, and even football...and John Petrucci too!!! He was really cool, and complimented me on my questions. It's great when an artist feel grateful that you're promoting their work, and don't act like primadonnas...

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #167 on: August 21, 2020, 01:46:02 PM »
I'm in Heaven...I just spoke for 40 minutes with Steve Morse!!! We spoke about the new album a lot, but also about Dixie Dregs, Flying Colors, and even football...and John Petrucci too!!! He was really cool, and complimented me on my questions. It's great when an artist feel grateful that you're promoting their work, and don't act like primadonnas...
Ian Paice is like that too. I had the enormous honour of attending one of his drum clinics when I was a child. Very friendly and very humble. (the latter of which I didn't expect at all) Very excited for the interview Rodrigo (that goes without saying, but I do anyway. Ha.)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: September 16, 2020, 09:44:01 AM »
For the record, I LOVE the new album.   Ian Gillan hasn't sounded this good in a while.    I think Bob Ezrin has been a godsend for this band.  The material is fresh, it's energetic, and it's engaging.  I'm not under any illusions that this is as transcendent as Smoke On The Water, but it's good, entertaining, relevant work. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #170 on: September 16, 2020, 11:41:23 AM »
For the record, I LOVE the new album.   Ian Gillan hasn't sounded this good in a while.    I think Bob Ezrin has been a godsend for this band.  The material is fresh, it's energetic, and it's engaging.  I'm not under any illusions that this is as transcendent as Smoke On The Water, but it's good, entertaining, relevant work.

I'm quite enjoying the output of both Deep Purple and Kansas. It shows they haven't aged musically and are still making great tunes. If these end up being their last albums, I wouldn't mind at all.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #171 on: September 02, 2021, 03:43:30 PM »
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #172 on: September 02, 2021, 03:53:11 PM »
WHAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!!? That's insane...but also freaking awesome!!!!!

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #173 on: September 02, 2021, 03:58:16 PM »
New year, new album! It's the 70's all over again!
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline devieira73