Author Topic: The Deep Purple Appreciation Thread v. All I Hear Is "Burn!"  (Read 21483 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: The Deep Purple Appreciation Thread v. All I Hear Is "Burn!"
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2018, 08:23:17 PM »
Interesting that there is a setlist.fm entry for them on that date. 4 people on setlist.fm say they were there.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/queensryche/1987/the-spectrum-philadelphia-pa-63d1a6d3.html

That's literally the only thing I can find about it. I must really be bored tonight if I am doing this.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2018, 06:35:11 AM »
Interesting that there is a setlist.fm entry for them on that date. 4 people on setlist.fm say they were there.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/queensryche/1987/the-spectrum-philadelphia-pa-63d1a6d3.html

That's literally the only thing I can find about it. I must really be bored tonight if I am doing this.

Yeah. Setlist.fm is wrong (a lot), but the date makes sense given the other factors. QR may have been a last minute addition. I wish I could find some more info.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2018, 08:31:46 AM »
Late to this thread, but HUGE Deep Purple fan (even the Morse years) and as some of you know, Blackmore is my favorite musician ever.  I have, alas, never seen the Blackmore Deep Purple; I had tickets to the reunion show in '85 (fuck you guys that went) and had a hockey tournament game that same night.   There were four defensemen on the team and two got benched for having weed, so I didn't really have a choice.  We didn't even win.  :(   I have seen Blackmore's Night twice (and actually shook Ritchie's hand after the last show) and Morse Purple twice, so...

I have no insight into the '87 tour question, specifically, though TAC:  Was Joan Jett there?   Purple didn't play Connecticut that tour (one of the reasons I didn't see them) but I remember them playing Worcester, and I thought I saw that Joan Jett opened that show.  https://www.purple.de/dirk/purple/mark5.php#1987

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2018, 02:01:09 PM »
I also spent about a half hour on this online last night. :lol

Stadler, on that link you posted, there is a Hartford date (4/17). Was that cancelled?

On the 23rd, I'm 99.99% positive Joan Jett didn't perform. Triton definitely did. I made no note in my "book" about any other opening band.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2018, 02:17:29 PM »
Sorry I sent you boys down the rabbit hole.

Basically, the QR date thing was spurred by:

1. A stub someone was claiming QR was opening for Purple and Bad Co, even though only Purple was on the stub (4/24/87).
2. That person's email to me saying "the QR date is on setlist.fm." (which, again, given the spotty accuracy of that, is suspect.)
3. But remembering that QR was likely IN Philadelphia during that time, at the initial Mindcrime sessions.
4. Also recalling that dates during the Rage years are not always complete, since the band was between management and booking agents, and DeGarmo was doing bookings.

all those factors sent me on a mission to figure it out. And I still haven't. I do think the likelihood of it is there, as other acts (some local, some national that were in the area) were being added as the first band on the bill ahead of Bad Co. and Purple. So if Queensryche was in town, and had their touring rig (again, very possible), I could see them doing a show, particularly for a quick pay check while in the studio. But this was the first I heard of any post-February 1987, but pre-Mindcrime touring gig from them.

At some point I will figure it out.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2018, 02:33:47 PM »
SetlistFM lists 4 people that were there. Have you tried to contact them?

I just feel like this would be more well known if it were true, no?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2018, 02:50:17 PM »
SetlistFM lists 4 people that were there. Have you tried to contact them?

I just feel like this would be more well known if it were true, no?

I was going to over the weekend. I don't have an account there, and wasn't sure if it would give me their contact info. I agree with you, it should have been more widely known for sure. But it is feasible for sure. Hopefully setlist.fm has a function so I can contact those folks and ask.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2018, 03:35:01 PM »
So I dug out some pics from the Perfect Strangers Tour. They are rather primitive. My concert shots would get much better, but we were in the balcony using an old camera. They are enlarged/cropped a bit.

Deep Purple
March 4, 1985
Providence Civic Center

In the bottom pic, Blackmore (in the black) was jumped by some chick from the audience and the band is in the process of pulling her away. I have always thought this was a plant.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2018, 05:05:01 PM »
So I dug out some pics from the Perfect Strangers Tour. They are rather primitive. My concert shots would get much better, but we were in the balcony using an old camera. They are enlarged/cropped a bit.

Deep Purple
March 4, 1985
Providence Civic Center

In the bottom pic, Blackmore (in the black) was jumped by some chick from the audience and the band is in the process of pulling her away. I have always thought this was a plant.

I saw them in Vancouver on that tour and we didn't get an encore because Blackmore had a tantrum about something. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I think it was because someone threw a frisbee at him.  :-\

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2018, 06:40:59 AM »
Grew up a DP fiend!  Saw them front row at Long Beach Arena for the Perfect Strangers tour.  Standing 10" from Ritchie!  EPIC experience.  Purple has some great tunes!  With all line ups!  But Mk II is the best line up fo sho!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2018, 08:42:18 AM »
I also spent about a half hour on this online last night. :lol

Stadler, on that link you posted, there is a Hartford date (4/17). Was that cancelled?

On the 23rd, I'm 99.99% positive Joan Jett didn't perform. Triton definitely did. I made no note in my "book" about any other opening band.

There's a date on Setlist in April, with 9 users there.   Hard to argue with that, but I would have bet my car that there wasn't a date then.  I worked at the Civic Center for about a year, and was at UConn then, so if there really was a date, that would be an egregious error on my part.  Not saying that's not possible, but with 30 years of hindsight, I find it unfathomable that I wouldn't have driven the 20 minutes into Hartford to have 100 beers at the Russian Lady (an awesome bar that used to be literally right across the street from the Civic Center) and see my favorite musician of all time.  I saw Genesis there a month or so before the show, and I saw U2 there about a month after, so...   there were probably women involved is all I can say (which probably isn't true either.  :) ).

They also played Hartford in '91 on the Slaves and Masters tour, in a smaller theater, but I was out of state at the time for work.  That one I know I missed due to circumstances.    That entire show is on youtube. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2018, 01:04:25 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4S3RSQSt5w

Ritchie Blackmore wouldn't mind at all to play one final show with the band, as a one-off for the fans, just to make fans of the Mark II happy and to prove they're not (all) hating each other. He's up for it but managements and promoters and lawyers get involved and it becomes a mess, he says. He even compliments Steve Morse. I never thought he'd be so chill and level headed while talking about his former band (but he still humorously says that he'd be fighting with Ian Gillian)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2018, 01:26:50 PM »
That's one side of the story.

Morse has - with class and grace - made it clear that he wouldn't stand in the way of that legendary event, but Ian Gillan has not been... shall we say, enthusiastic about the idea, and Ian Paice has been even more decisive on that point.   I put the odds of it happening at less than 20%. 

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2018, 09:29:58 PM »
Have you checked with these guys?

Maybe someone there can help.

:biggrin:

Hahahahahahahahaha.

WARNING!

Hey Brian, sorry but I can't help you. I saw Deep Purple on 4/23/87 in Providence and I can assure you Queensryche did not play that night.

They did have a local band, Triton, open the show. I have no recollection of any other band playing, nor did I note it. There is no other band on Setlist FM posted either. the first BC show for that tour IS listed as the 24th.

For some reason, I thought Triton was supposed to be a third slot. They may have ended up being the only opener. Again, I have no recollection of another opening band.

T,

I know. But QR was recording in Philly right then, and that date has recently come to light. I have a few emails out to Purple fans...see if someone waa there.

Actually I can help with this one. It never happened. For one being a major Queensryche fan myself I would not have missed a Philly show in 1987 that paired that lineup together, secondly I was at the House of Blue Light tour in 1987, it was at The Spectrum in Philadelphia on April 25th, Bad Company was the opener, No Queensryche, and that tour only had one night at the Spectrum I'm 99% certain. They may have done multiple nights on the Perfect Strangers tour but I don't believe they did on the House of Blue Light tour. Queensryche opened for Ozzy at the Spectrum in September of 86 I was at that show.   
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 08:10:30 PM by admin2 »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2018, 09:43:44 PM »
I can almost guarantee you there weren't multiple nights on the HoBL tour. 

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2018, 12:28:07 PM »
Don't want to disturb You Guys but I want You to know that Deep Purple survivor is running, if You want to participate it would be a honor :) Thank You :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2018, 01:07:22 PM »
How does one participate in that?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2018, 01:20:58 PM »
This is awesome!

https://bravewords.com/news/deep-purple-rare-1975-burn-tour-student-documentary-surfaces-video

This is really good.
Side note... I really like Glenn Hughes as a singer, but fuck I hate when he does those silly screams in Burn live. STFU!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2018, 12:10:57 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2018, 02:20:46 PM »
That was fantastic!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: July 16, 2018, 06:57:11 AM »
This is awesome!

https://bravewords.com/news/deep-purple-rare-1975-burn-tour-student-documentary-surfaces-video

This is really good.
Side note... I really like Glenn Hughes as a singer, but fuck I hate when he does those silly screams in Burn live. STFU!

As a huge Deep Purple fan, I HATED Glenn Hughes for the longest time.   That funky melismatic (that's what that's called when you stretch one word out for 3,294 notes) crap he brought I couldn't stand.   Then I heard him sing with Iommi on Seventh Star and couldn't believe it was the same guy.   He seems to have toned that shit down now and for my money, he's got one of the best voices in rock now.  He just needs to remember he's not Stevie Wonder.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2020, 08:21:47 PM »
The new album Whoosh! is killer!!! My review is coming soon.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #129 on: July 24, 2020, 08:23:58 PM »
This is awesome!

This is really good.

As a huge Deep Purple fan, I HATED Glenn Hughes for the longest time.   That funky melismatic (that's what that's called when you stretch one word out for 3,294 notes) crap he brought I couldn't stand.   Then I heard him sing with Iommi on Seventh Star and couldn't believe it was the same guy.   He seems to have toned that shit down now and for my money, he's got one of the best voices in rock now.  He just needs to remember he's not Stevie Wonder.

I'm the exact opposite. I highly prefer early Glen Hughes over current Glen Hughes.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2020, 07:58:28 AM »
I've been on a moderate Purple kick lately; I bought the "Live In Japan" three disk set (that basically gives you all three shows in Japan, whereas Made In Japan is just a compilation of the setlist across the three nights) as well as going back and watching the DVDs - Denmark in '72, New York in '73 (color!), the Concerto, and California Jam. 

Man, what a powerful group.  I STILL don't like Hughes (his screaming on Burn! at Cal Jam ruins what is otherwise an INCENDIARY track.  If you watch the video, Blackmore is actually breathless at the end of it) but they were solid as a rock.   It's amazing to watch the '73 tracks; it's at a college - Hofstra - and the audience is bopping and clapping like it was something other than a loud, heavy, rock show. 

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2020, 04:47:19 PM »
Just pulled out Come Taste the Band for a listen and I must say, this album kicks ass. A much underrated DP album that’s better than Stormbringer and stands up quite well to Burn, but not much talked about.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2020, 07:49:31 PM »
Rodrigo, I'll drop the needle on this as I've done with every new Deep Purple album, but I gotta be honest. I'm expecting the same uninteresting uninspired shlock that I always get from them.

Are you really saying this one is different?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2020, 08:09:38 PM »
Rodrigo, I'll drop the needle on this as I've done with every new Deep Purple album, but I gotta be honest. I'm expecting the same uninteresting uninspired shlock that I always get from them.

Are you really saying this one is different?

No. If you didn't like their latest efforts, you won't like this one. I like later day Purple, and think their last three are way better than the three that came before.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #137 on: July 30, 2020, 08:11:32 PM »
That's fair. Not trying to sound like a dick. :lol

I think I get frustrated because I keep expecting more from them. I guess the same could be said for my favorite band, UFO, where I have found the Vinnie Moore Era extremely disappointing. But I love them, and I get over it.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #138 on: July 30, 2020, 08:27:38 PM »

I think I get frustrated because I keep expecting more from them. I guess the same could be said for my favorite band, UFO, where I have found the Vinnie Moore Era extremely disappointing. But I love them, and I get over it.

I think they earned their right to be predictable at this stage. The guys from the classic lineup are well into their seventies, and they have 21 albums under their belts. If they want to still be productive, more power to them!!! But I don't think you came across as a dick in your post, you don't HAVE to like what they do musically these days, to respect the fact that they're still carrying on.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #139 on: July 30, 2020, 08:38:58 PM »

I think they earned their right to be predictable at this stage. The guys from the classic lineup are well into their seventies, and they have 21 albums under their belts. If they want to still be productive, more power to them!!! But I don't think you came across as a dick in your post, you don't HAVE to like what they do musically these days, to respect the fact that they're still carrying on.

I totally get that whatever they do is gravy at this point. And like I said, I point towards UFO for the same thing.