Author Topic: PROGPOWER USA XXIII  (Read 31268 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: PROGPOWER USA XXIII
« Reply #630 on: April 12, 2024, 07:32:33 AM »
Maybe something to put on the radar for next year...

I commented on the new Evergrey music video on youtube asking them to come back to progpower next year and the singer responded from his personal account saying "sounds like a plan"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #631 on: April 12, 2024, 07:48:05 AM »
Maybe something to put on the radar for next year...

I commented on the new Evergrey music video on youtube asking them to come back to progpower next year and the singer responded from his personal account saying "sounds like a plan"

They'd certainly be an ideal act for the 25th (and possibly last?*) PPUSA. 

*Though, I'm working under the assumption that Milton and/or Nathan will carry the torch.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #632 on: April 22, 2024, 08:02:33 AM »
*Day 2 Roster Update*
Northtale has canceled their appearance at ProgPower USA XXIII. The band will issue their statement at their own time. This decision comes with disappointment, but with my full support given the circumstances.
I am elated to announce, however, that TEMPERANCE has been confirmed as the replacement and will now be performing on Day 2. It’s worth noting that they’ve gone above and beyond to make this performance happen and this will not go unnoticed. Please join me in welcoming them to the ProgPower USA family!
-Milton

I'm actually quite fine with this.  Temperance is more up my sonic alley.

Spotify: This is Temperance
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #633 on: April 22, 2024, 08:14:57 AM »
This is an upgrade for me.  Very happy with this.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #634 on: April 22, 2024, 08:24:59 AM »
I don't know either band. *shrugs*

*deletes Northtale from listening list, replaces with Temperance*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #635 on: April 23, 2024, 01:23:05 PM »
OK, I think I've heard all of Dark Tranquility I need to hear lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #636 on: April 23, 2024, 01:24:20 PM »
Sounds like it's time for the glory that is Lovebites...just listen to Electric Pentagram, that album is fucking flawless.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #637 on: April 23, 2024, 01:35:14 PM »
Sounds like it's time for the glory that is Lovebites...just listen to Electric Pentagram, that album is fucking flawless.
I'm on my third LB album right now, which happens to be Electric Pentagram!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #638 on: April 23, 2024, 01:59:58 PM »
I'm on my third LB album right now, which happens to be Electric Pentagram!

:metal :metal :metal :metal

They're gonna fucking slay so hard man...I've been blasting them for a week straight, and that run from Awakening from Abyss to Electric Pentagram is so killer....so many notes...so much shred...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #639 on: April 23, 2024, 02:03:00 PM »
I thought the first two albums were OK, not my normal cup of tea but not bad, but so far this is my favorite from them.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #640 on: April 23, 2024, 02:05:14 PM »
I thought the first two albums were OK, not my normal cup of tea but not bad, but so far this is my favorite from them.

Yeah, I think it's their strongest as well. You can hear a difference between this and their last release Judgement day, that's because bassist and band founder Miho left. New bassist Fami is solid, but there's a drop in the songwriting for sure.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #641 on: April 23, 2024, 02:13:11 PM »
I've been listening to their latest album lately.  They are incredible musicians.  Musically they are really good and right up my ally.  I've struggled a bit to really love the vocals.  They aren't bad, but they are holding me back from saying this band is really great to this band is really good.  I think they'll probably slay live for sure.  I'll eventually listen to more of their music.  I've got maybe 10 listens of the new album so I've got a good feel for this one now.

Yesterday I made a playlist of all the progpower bands for 2024 that I have on my phone . 242 songs across the following bands: Angra, Circus Maximus, Frozen Crown, Lovebites, Leprous. Eleine, Winger, Darkwater, Temperance, Twilight Force, and Pagans Mind  :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #642 on: April 23, 2024, 02:20:32 PM »
I've been listening to their latest album lately.  They are incredible musicians.  Musically they are really good and right up my ally.  I've struggled a bit to really love the vocals.  They aren't bad, but they are holding me back from saying this band is really great to this band is really good.
That's kind of where I'm at right now.  I don't love the lead singer.

Yesterday I made a playlist of all the progpower bands for 2024 that I have on my phone . 242 songs across the following bands: Angra, Circus Maximus, Frozen Crown, Lovebites, Leprous. Eleine, Winger, Darkwater, Temperance, Twilight Force, and Pagans Mind  :metal
No Amorphis or Soen?  Or (gasp!) Winger?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: April 23, 2024, 02:23:37 PM »
That's kind of where I'm at right now.  I don't love the lead singer.
No Amorphis or Soen?  Or (gasp!) Winger?

Winger is on there, I bought the Pull album a few months ago.

Amorphis, I know I have an album of theirs (or two? I forget) but apparently it's not on my phone, I need to rectify that. 

Soen I do not have any music of.  I saw them at a previous progpower, thought they were OK.  I never really went back to check them out. I kind of keep forgetting about them too. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #644 on: April 23, 2024, 02:35:51 PM »
I'm the same way with Asami's vocals, initially they were borderline grating, though they are growing on me. She's got tremendous range, but there's a whiny-tingy edge to them that takes time to get used to. She was more tolerable in the early albums.

Whatever you do, don't express that opinion on a Lovebites fan page though...they're rather protective of her. :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #645 on: April 23, 2024, 02:38:15 PM »
Whatever you do, don't express that opinion on a Lovebites fan page though...they're rather protective of her. :lol

Won't find me near these fan pages so I'm good  :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #646 on: April 23, 2024, 02:52:41 PM »

There's been a great row going on there lately, there's one dude who's a hardcore fan of new bassist Fami, and anytime someone mentions old bassist Miho, he goes all on a rage that "SHE LEFT, AND TO TALK ABOUT HER DISRESPECTS FAMI!!!"

I told him no matter how much simping he did, Fami wasn't going to fuck him. I got an "lol warning" from the page admin  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #647 on: April 23, 2024, 02:53:26 PM »
I was rolling thru the This is Temperance playlist today.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #648 on: April 24, 2024, 07:37:11 AM »
Same

There's been a great row going on there lately, there's one dude who's a hardcore fan of new bassist Fami, and anytime someone mentions old bassist Miho, he goes all on a rage that "SHE LEFT, AND TO TALK ABOUT HER DISRESPECTS FAMI!!!"

I told him no matter how much simping he did, Fami wasn't going to fuck him. I got an "lol warning" from the page admin  :lol
lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #649 on: April 24, 2024, 07:53:40 AM »
Jmetal fans are a silly lot...they go from casuals to those with a healthy obsession (me) to those who should probably seek therapy. The Babymetal fan pages are especially disturbing, I left all of those.

On the other side though, the fan bases are also pretty amazing, I'd say the Band Maid fans are easily the best out there of any band... They line up early for shows, and it's a day long tailgate with drinks, food, people passing out fan made merchandise, and general comraderie of fans who know each other very well through the fan pages. They'll buy extra tickets and VIP passes and pass them out to those in need (one dude gave my brother a VIP upgrade no questions asked, $200).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: April 24, 2024, 08:36:02 AM »
Jmetal fans are a silly lot...they go from casuals to those with a healthy obsession (me) to those who should probably seek therapy. The Babymetal fan pages are especially disturbing, I left all of those.

On the other side though, the fan bases are also pretty amazing, I'd say the Band Maid fans are easily the best out there of any band... They line up early for shows, and it's a day long tailgate with drinks, food, people passing out fan made merchandise, and general comraderie of fans who know each other very well through the fan pages. They'll buy extra tickets and VIP passes and pass them out to those in need (one dude gave my brother a VIP upgrade no questions asked, $200).

I feel like this just describes every hardcore fan base really.  Have their ups and downs with people way overboard on their fandom but then generally most people are cool and friendly and enjoy being a fan with other fans.