Author Topic: The Beatles Thread  (Read 43559 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: The Beatles Thread
« Reply #350 on: November 03, 2023, 08:05:11 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opxhh9Oh3rg

Official video for "Now And Then"

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #351 on: November 03, 2023, 08:18:38 AM »
Who is the other guitarist in the video? Looks familiar but I can’t place him.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #352 on: November 03, 2023, 08:23:45 AM »

You mean George? Or Paul? Time-stamp?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #353 on: November 03, 2023, 08:31:54 AM »
I've never been a big fan of the Beatles, though I've come to appreciate them more in recent years. But this song, and the accompanying video on Disney+ makes me really sad. Despite them breaking up, it sounds like there was a ton of love and respect amongst the guys, and I have little doubt they eventually would have gotten back together had John, and later George, not passed.

Offline HOF

« Reply #354 on: November 03, 2023, 08:32:10 AM »

-Marc.

24 seconds in. Is that old footage of George? That must be from back in the 90s when they originally worked on the song because Paul is obviously much younger too!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #355 on: November 03, 2023, 08:35:03 AM »

-Marc.

24 seconds in. Is that old footage of George?

That would be George when they worked on the "new" songs for the Anthology sessions in the mid-90s. They had originally tried working up "Now And Then" back then (one of four songs they had on a tape from Yoko, also including "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love"), but the tech just wasn't there yet to separate John's vocals from the piano on his cassette demo.

The 12-minute mini-documentary about the song goes into greater depth about how they went about that last year with Peter Jackson's software that was developed for the Get Back film, which eventually helped separate John's vocals and make the song viable for a fresh recording again.

-Marc.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #356 on: November 03, 2023, 08:44:50 AM »
When you watch the old Anthology multi part documentary from the mid 90s they obviously filmed the interviews over a long period of time because George in particular has wildly different looks.  Sometime long haired and bearded like the footage in the Now and Then video then very next segment short hair and clean shaven. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 01:26:15 PM by XeRocks81 »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #357 on: November 04, 2023, 03:41:30 AM »
They did a great job with this project. The song is wonderful, I was afraid it would be on a level of a disposable B side, but I was wrong. Gorgeous stuff.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #358 on: November 04, 2023, 08:18:55 AM »
I like how they took advantage of the theme "Now and Then" to include footage from the past, present, and all the different eras of the band's history.  We all know it's just a bit of fun, a collection of sound and imagery assembled by computers for our entertainment, so I figure just go with it and appreciate what they've put together.  I thought it was really well done.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #359 on: November 04, 2023, 11:43:21 AM »
Timmy Sean did a pretty sweet cover of "Now and Then"
I'm digging the more energetic nature of his.

https://timmysean.bandcamp.com/album/now-and-then-beatles-cover

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #360 on: November 04, 2023, 12:09:17 PM »
I like how they took advantage of the theme "Now and Then" to include footage from the past, present, and all the different eras of the band's history.  We all know it's just a bit of fun, a collection of sound and imagery assembled by computers for our entertainment, so I figure just go with it and appreciate what they've put together.  I thought it was really well done.

My favorite bit is where modern Ringo and Paul are playing their instruments, and the younger Beatles are all around them moving stuff, Ringo tapping the bass drum, Paul and John taking away equipment. It's just good fun and puts a smile on my face. Peter Jackson and his team really did wonders with this video.

EDIT - Also, I've made an EP on my phone titled "The Anthology Singles" and threw together the 2015 mixes of "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love" on there with "Now And Then" and I've been listening to it a *lot* in the past two days. There's just something about these three songs that just feels like a beautiful closing curtain for the band's legacy, and that we finally get "Now And Then" after nearly 30 years since the other two songs. Having just heard Lennon's demo of "Grow Old With Me", I can see why Paul and the others decided not to pursue that one in the 90s. It's a bit twee and even if they worked their magic on it, I don't think it really fits the vibe of the other three songs or The Beatles in general, though it's definitely a John song.

I've also ordered the "Now And Then" CD (which ships on the 17th) and the Marbled Vinyl single, which is shipping now, as a Christmas gift for my dad, who has been a Beatles fan all his life. I hope he didn't order himself the single yet!  :lol

-Marc.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 12:24:25 PM by The Letter M »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #361 on: November 04, 2023, 01:22:28 PM »
I guess I need to revisit the other two.  I remember not being impressed by "Free As A Bird" as a song.  Just a bit too simple, too basic, to take seriously.  I may not have given "Real Love" a fair chance because of that.  "Now and Then" is also pretty basic, but I like it as a song.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #362 on: November 06, 2023, 09:20:12 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opxhh9Oh3rg

Official video for "Now And Then"

-Marc.

I love this video. Emotional. A proper "goodbye." I can completely understand why some people are very much against what Paul and Ringo did by putting out this song and video. But for me, it just feels like closure, and a nice gift from the band that started much of the music I love today.

I'm not even a hardcore. I'm a "new" fan of The Beatles stemming from Get Back a couple years ago. (Obviously knew the band and the hits, but never delved into the catalog.) Stuff like this has caused me to dig deeper into their work, and I'm incredibly thankful for it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: November 10, 2023, 06:58:54 PM »
Casual fan at best here, I know like 8 Beatles songs total, but I had went through a few albums that fans recommended at various points in my life. And while I don't dislike their music, I truly never understood why it's a damn near consensus that this is the best band of all time.

However, I'm madly in love with this new song, the fucking vocal melody is so fucking good, especially in the verses. I was gonna single out the strings but honestly all instrumentation on this song have me hooked real hard.

I watched the little documentary on how they made it happen, but what's unclear to me is whether or not fans knew this song from before? was that demo floating around on youtube and bootlegs before? I searched youtube and couldn't find any trace of this song existing before this release.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Dave_Manchester

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #365 on: February 07, 2024, 04:54:20 PM »
Nobody can touch the Fab 4
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #366 on: February 08, 2024, 08:23:21 AM »
As good a time as any to pimp the recent "50th Anniversary" (loosely, since not all were on the 50th anniversary) releases of Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, The White Album, Let It Be, and Abbey Road.   All (except maybe Sgt. Pepper) are a TREASURE TROVE of revelations about how good those guys really were. I never tire of watching McCartney and Lennon together; no matter what was going on outside of the studio, they were never really able to hide or cover their love of music and of each other.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #367 on: February 08, 2024, 09:42:50 AM »
As good a time as any to pimp the recent "50th Anniversary" (loosely, since not all were on the 50th anniversary) releases of Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, The White Album, Let It Be, and Abbey Road.   All (except maybe Sgt. Pepper) are a TREASURE TROVE of revelations about how good those guys really were. I never tire of watching McCartney and Lennon together; no matter what was going on outside of the studio, they were never really able to hide or cover their love of music and of each other.

I agree Stad
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #368 on: February 08, 2024, 10:59:35 AM »

I agree Stad

+1

As a newer fan of The Beatles (of course I knew of them and knew the hits prior) it's been a joy going through the latter end of the catalog, which is by far my favorite. So much great ear candy.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #369 on: February 08, 2024, 11:15:49 AM »

The most important (for the rest of the world) love story of the XX century.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #370 on: February 17, 2024, 11:41:47 AM »

Scary good.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: February 19, 2024, 09:00:39 AM »
Continuing my exploration of the extended Beatles canon, I have taken the dive into the Magical Mystery Tour blu-ray from 2012.   I am a Beatles music buff, and know of the filmography, but don't spend a lot of time on it (I've never seen any of the four feature films they produced, and until now I've never seen the MMT television show).   

The blu-ray is packed with extras, but I have to say, this is the first Beatles release that strikes me as dated in a negative way (as opposed to "dated in a way that speaks to the time in which it was made").  I mean, it DOES speak to the time, but you can clearly see this as vanity project as much as "declaration of art".   This was clearly McCartney's baby, and in some senses, this was his "Revolution No. 9" in the sense that it was a stream of consciousness collage, just in broader scope. 

One think that struck me was how SILLY John could be.  I don't know whether it was him actually just letting go and being silly, or if it was his subversive way of taking the piss.  I tend to the former, though there's a video piece for "Your Mother Should Know" of the band in white tuxedos and the smile on John's face was downright demonic.  But "Nat's Dream", an outtake that was directed by John, is just pure silliness.

Ringo made a comment though in the documentary that resonates: it was so open and many of the things they did couldn't be done today (the car racing scene for one).   

There's an unreleased version of the video for "Hello, Goodbye" that was aired by the BBC in response to the three rejected versions previously submitted for Top Of The Pops (which, long story short, couldn't air miming per Musician's Union rules).  It had footage of the Beatles editing MMT in the studio interspersed with a series of still photographs prepared by the BBC of four actors - two men, two women - standing in the snow, and getting in and out of a car (no, it makes no sense).   I confess I've spent far too much time in the couple days since I saw it obsessing over one of the actresses in those stills (but since they were included by the BBC and had nothing to do with the Beatles, her name - or any of the other three - are nowhere to be found).   HAHA!  The other one looks a LITTLE bit like Maureen Starkey (though I don't think it's her) but My Obsession doesn't look anything like any of the noted Beatles girlfriends.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #372 on: February 19, 2024, 09:12:25 AM »
I've never heard of the Magical Mystery Tour television show.  I've seen all four of the feature films, including Help! and Yellow Submarine several times (they are the two we have on DVD).  A Hard Day's Night is fun, and the music is great, but being black-and-white and focusing on only the early material (obviously, since that's all there was at the time) limits its rewatchability for me.  The middle two are each awesome.  Magical Mystery Tour suffers from no script and too much LSD, but it's fun if you're really wasted.

IMDb is failing me as I try to find out anything about the TV show.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #373 on: February 19, 2024, 09:17:40 AM »
Late last year, I picked up some  Beatles BD stuff after already owning the Get Back documentary. I picked up the Eight Days A Week doc, plus A Hard Day's Night, Help!, Magical Mystery Tour, and Yellow Submarine (the only one of those four films I'd ever seen). I've been meaning to watch those first three films now that I own them on BD, especially AHDN, which is the Criterion Collection version.

Are there any other "essential" Beatles videos I should be adding to my collection, especially anything officially released like the above six titles?

-Marc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: February 19, 2024, 09:22:35 AM »
Late last year, I picked up some  Beatles BD stuff after already owning the Get Back documentary. I picked up the Eight Days A Week doc, plus A Hard Day's Night, Help!, Magical Mystery Tour, and Yellow Submarine (the only one of those four films I'd ever seen). I've been meaning to watch those first three films now that I own them on BD, especially AHDN, which is the Criterion Collection version.

Are there any other "essential" Beatles videos I should be adding to my collection, especially anything officially released like the above six titles?

-Marc.

The Beatles 1 video package is pretty neat.  It's not "film" in the sense of the above, but it's fascinating to watch them perform.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #375 on: February 19, 2024, 06:39:18 PM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: February 20, 2024, 05:44:25 AM »

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #377 on: February 20, 2024, 09:01:39 AM »

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member