A Change of Seasons
A Mind Beside Itself
Trial of Tears
Six Degress of Inner Turbulence
In The Name of God
Octavarium
In The Presence of Enemies
The Count of Tuscany

Author Topic: Favourite Epic  (Read 22686 times)

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Favourite Epic
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2010, 02:50:02 PM »
I agree that those songs are epic. But that doesnt make them epics. Now were talking noun vs adjective. Just because a song is epic (descriptive) doesnt make it AN epic (noun). I would not say those songs are epics (nouns)

This, my friends, is semantics at its finest. ;)

Seriously, "Metropolis" is not an epic?  That's a new one.

Also, and this is directed towards everyone, length does not dictate whether something is an epic or not.  I can name you songs under 5 minutes that are epic, and I can name you really long songs that are not epics.

"Metropolis" is NOT an epic and never will be, just a normal 10 min DT song like Honor thy father, Blind Faith, Sacrificed sons, Home and so on, except that it's not as good as any of'em
Fair enough.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2010, 02:51:38 PM »
I agree that those songs are epic. But that doesnt make them epics. Now were talking noun vs adjective. Just because a song is epic (descriptive) doesnt make it AN epic (noun). I would not say those songs are epics (nouns)

Also, and this is directed towards everyone, length does not dictate whether something is an epic or not.  I can name you songs under 5 minutes that are epic, and I can name you really long songs that are not epics.

"Metropolis" is NOT an epic and never will be, just a normal 10 min DT song like Honor thy father, Blind Faith, Sacrificed sons, Home and so on, except that it's not as good as any of'em
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2010, 02:55:27 PM »

Fair enough.
Maybe i need to simplify what i was getting at.

Metropolis Pt1 + Metropolis Pt2 = Epic?

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2010, 02:56:38 PM »

lol
Everyone has his own conception of what an epic is. I don't see what's wrong with his statement.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2010, 02:57:17 PM »
I think he was loling at the statement that Metropolis was't as good as the other songs he listed.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2010, 02:57:37 PM »
Bingo!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2010, 02:58:19 PM »
Oops, my bad :P

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2010, 03:02:27 PM »

This post is wrong. DT disagrees with you. Gonna go make dinner now. kbye

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2010, 03:07:01 PM »
As far as what is or is not an epic, I totally understand the argument that songs like Metropolis or Learning To Live are epics.  But to me, being a fan from 1992 (and yes, I know that Kev is as well), those were always among my favorite songs, but there was something different about A Change of Seasons - it was set apart, it was unique.  It was an epic.  And it was all alone, for years and years.

Then came Six Degrees, which was 40+ minutes long.  I thought it definitely occupied the same territory as ACOS, so now there were two epics.

Then eventually came Octavarium.  By anyone's definition, this is certainly an epic.

Of course, then came In The Presence of Enemies, which I guess belongs as well, though it isn't in the same league as the the other 3.

And I also understand why some people accept The Count of Tuscany as an epic.  I'm still of two minds about that one.

But I will say that look back fondly on the time when ACOS stood alone, and there wasn't a new epic on every album.  Now people expect them, and will probably be disappointed if there isn't a new one on the next album.

But anyway, opinions vary.

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2010, 03:41:34 PM »
Some good discussion going on in this thread, I like it :). Its hard to do polls like this, to choose what songs should or should not qualify. If I redid the poll it would look like this:

A Change of Seasons
Octavarium
In The Presence of Enemies
The Count of Tuscany

These songs feels for me like they are the four big epics. On the other hand songs like LTL, Metropolis pt. 1, AMBI, Scarred, ITNOG, 6D, OAMOT, TKH, TOWHTSTS, TOT, LITS (and probably some more song or songs I forgot) also feels like epics, its hard to make these polls :lol.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2010, 03:44:41 PM »
I'd like to see the 'for' argument for Count of Tuscany being an epic. Yeah it's a long song but to me it just doesn't feel like what I'd call an epic.

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2010, 03:48:31 PM »
I'd like to see the 'for' argument for Count of Tuscany being an epic. Yeah it's a long song but to me it just doesn't feel like what I'd call an epic.
Same with ITPOE

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2010, 04:33:40 PM »
Musically, it fits, to me.  The only thing holding it back are the lyrics.  They aren't about anything, well, epic (regardless of the quality of them); they are about a situation where JP was scared, but didn't really need to be.  Not weighty enough to be epic.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2010, 04:35:53 PM »
The only part that seems to fit musically is the intro, which is fantastic. The rest just doesn't seem to be on the same level for some reason.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2010, 04:39:01 PM »
The only part that seems to fit musically is the intro, which is fantastic. The rest just doesn't seem to be on the same level for some reason.
*shrugs*  I don't know, it works for me.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2010, 04:41:38 PM »
I'd call TCOT grand, but not AN epic.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2010, 04:50:15 PM »

IP: Logged
Address: Found
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2010, 05:25:57 PM »

:D

But seriously Honor thy father(the worst song on TOT) and sacrificed sons, better than metropolis? really
I guess being against the favorites andold stuff is still "edgy and kewl"
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2010, 05:30:15 PM »
Blind Faith and Home are great, but metropolis is where it all started.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2010, 05:37:37 PM »
Blind Faith and Home are great, but metropolis is where it all started.
Exactly that's why i didn't mention those 2 songs  ;)

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2010, 05:47:26 PM »
that wasn't directed negatively at you, but i'm glad we share opinions.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2010, 05:49:21 PM »
that wasn't directed negatively at you, but i'm glad we share opinions.
It wasn't a direct response also i just wanted to poited it out   :P

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2010, 09:55:50 AM »
My favorite epics are not on the list: "Only a Matter of Time" and "Voices"
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2010, 10:04:25 AM »
My favorite epics are not on the list: "Only a Matter of Time" and "Voices"
I've never heard those referred to as "epics."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2010, 10:29:42 AM »
KEVIN MOORE
"lolwut" needs to be the automatic reply to every post you make from this point forward.

Neither of these kinds of posts do anything to further the discussion in the thread. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2010, 10:37:57 AM »
I'd call TCOT grand, but not AN epic.

This is what I was looking for.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2010, 03:53:33 PM »

:D

But seriously Honor thy father(the worst song on TOT) and sacrificed sons, better than metropolis? really
I guess being against the favorites andold stuff is still "edgy and kewl"

Oh come on! It's just my opinion! :S the only thing I think is pretty cool about metropolis is the instrumental section :S  Honor thy father is in my opinion soooo much better, ToTs most powerfull song.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2010, 04:19:41 PM »
lolwut

I mean HtF is awesome but is nothing close to Metropolis IMO :P

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2010, 08:21:06 AM »
Well, for me it is :)

And I think Metropolis is a DT classic, but not an epic

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2010, 10:20:41 AM »
Six Degrees with Octavarium a very close second.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2010, 08:05:31 AM »
I don't understand how 8VM wins here, but loses to ACOS in the final of favourite DT song a few months back

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2010, 09:46:50 AM »
The Count Of Tuscany

*puts up shield*
I never really saw all the appeal of "Octavarium"

*13-year old girlie scream of sheer delight*

Yet again we see things quite similarly. I don't have any problem with 8VM except that I think it gets far more praise than it deserves. A fair amount of DT fans from the non-metal and prog factions were painfully disappointed in Train of Thought and probably were beyond delighted to hear what they considered a return to form even though the song(only in my own opinion so please don't get all flamey on me) is a half-hour hit and miss rollercoaster of riffs that lack flow and at times seems very forced as if they either overthought it to the point of killing the original spark that made them pursue it as the epic of the album or they rushed it a bit and threw caution to the wind when it came to arranging it.

Also I'm baffled by anyone not considering Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper an epic.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2010, 01:56:30 PM »
The Count Of Tuscany

*puts up shield*
I never really saw all the appeal of "Octavarium"

*13-year old girlie scream of sheer delight*

Yet again we see things quite similarly. I don't have any problem with 8VM except that I think it gets far more praise than it deserves. A fair amount of DT fans from the non-metal and prog factions were painfully disappointed in Train of Thought and probably were beyond delighted to hear what they considered a return to form even though the song(only in my own opinion so please don't get all flamey on me) is a half-hour hit and miss rollercoaster of riffs that lack flow and at times seems very forced as if they either overthought it to the point of killing the original spark that made them pursue it as the epic of the album or they rushed it a bit and threw caution to the wind when it came to arranging it.
I agree. The only part that I love is the "TRAPPED INSIDE THIS. OCTA-VAR-IUM." part, and the parts preceding it and following it. The rest is okay. If I ranked Octavarium, it'd probably be somewhere in the middle.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2010, 03:31:26 PM »
YOU! are somewhere in the middle

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2010, 04:08:29 PM »
Um ...

Birch, I belive you just got owned.