Author Topic: The Tea Party thread  (Read 12380 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Tea Party thread
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2014, 07:01:40 PM »
That's too cool man, congrats.

I'll have to think of some questions.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RedKlouD72

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2014, 09:59:53 AM »
I'm a huge The Tea Party fan.   One of my top 10 favorite bands ever, EASILY.

Like JamminDude, I recently listened to Transmission for the first time in years.   I've always been spinning their other records fairly often, but my copy of Transmission was scratched to Hell. I bought a new copy and man o man was that listening session overdue. It's either that or The Edges of Twilight as #1 for me.

I've been kind of mentally preparing myself for the new record. I think I'm ready. hahaha.  When the news came out that they were reuniting with the intent of possibly putting out an album, I ordered up a bunch of Jeff Martin solo stuff that had gone under my radar. I think it's all top notch. I don't have the Armada album yet though. Very interested.

I became a fan right between the release of TRIPtych and Tangents. I was young. 13 going on 14 years old. They have definitely made great music to grow up with. The songs age so damn well. Lots of songs make way more sense to me now in my mid-twenties (lyrically and musically).     They have LOTS of deep cuts that don't get played live so much (or don't get too much attention otherwise) that are incredible... Chimera, Aftermath, Dreams Of Reason, Walk With Me, Empty Glass, Must Must... That's one from each album except the new one.

I've never seen them live. They don't come down to The South, ya know: New York City & New Jersey.  Maybe that will change one day.
Ludicrously speedy or infectious with the slow-mo

Offline jammindude

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2014, 10:42:34 AM »
Well...here's your chance RK...

Can you think of any cool questions to ask Jeff?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2014, 10:55:10 AM »
jammindude,
                     If you weren't already planning-to, definitely ask Jeff about touring more of America. Do they have any plans in 2015? Also ask about why a lot of Canadian artists aren't able to per the cost of Work Visas (Vancouver's Bend Sinister never toured the States for many years due to the cost of  Work Visas, but finally are). Also maybe if The Tea Party would be playing at SXSW or another festival in the States next year.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2014, 11:02:14 AM »
jammindude,
                     If you weren't already planning-to, definitely ask Jeff about touring more of America. Do they have any plans in 2015? Also ask about why a lot of Canadian artists aren't able to per the cost of Work Visas (Vancouver's Bend Sinister never toured the States for many years due to the cost of  Work Visas, but finally are). Also maybe if The Tea Party would be playing at SXSW or another festival in the States next year.

Good ones....  Thank you!

Offline RedKlouD72

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2014, 04:16:34 PM »
I'd love to ask him (and about a hundred other bands) something like this: "What are your thoughts on diving deeper into the Tea Party catalog, and playing some songs that haven't ever been concert staples? So many of your fans are absolutely crazy about the music and would love to hear some songs from the first 6 albums that never got much play."

They did dig really deep into The Edges Of Twilight album with their Reformation Tour Blu-Ray  which was totally cool.  Maybe ask if they'll be doing that with other albums in the future (all the while playing lots of the newest songs I'm sure).

I guess we're kind of spoiled with Dream Theater.  They play every freakin' one of their songs if you give them a few years.

Maybe ask him if he's kept all the instruments he has used in recordings, and if he'd like to really re-inject some of that Mid-Eastern flavor into future compositions.

I'd also want to ask him "I've read in another interview that you like to record to analog tape. Which Tea Party albums, if any, were recorded that way?"   something to that effect.

Hope your interview goes really well. He seems pretty nice and chilll in interviews with him that I've seen or read.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2014, 03:44:04 PM »
Just finished the interview!   I feel like a kid in a candy store!   It REALLY went well!  I'm still in a dream land!!

I'll post it after I write it up and edit it a bit.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2014, 09:06:48 PM »
Here's the article I wrote about the interview with Jeff Martin!!!

I held back a few tidbits for the *full* interview which will be released as an episode of The Jammin Dude Show in a few days.

https://www.northwestmusicscene.com/2014/12/best-friends-creating-incredible-music-interview-jeff-martin-tea-party/

Offline RedKlouD72

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2014, 05:26:52 PM »
How do I watch that episode of your show?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2014, 07:03:53 PM »
When I post it....  :angel:  You can watch it on my channel which is linked in my signature. 

I'll probably post it tomorrow.

Offline RedKlouD72

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2014, 04:27:11 PM »
...eagerly waiting for that Jeff Martin interview video!    ;D :eek :biggrin: ;D

Offline mrrct

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2015, 09:58:52 AM »
Once again I save a thread from its pending banishment to the archives section.

I was a really big fan of this band in the late nineties and early 2000s.  I have just about everything they ever released, save for their really low-volume EPs and the like.  I even have their video collection that came out at the same time as their greatest hits album, Tangents.  I used to watch Much Music a lot when I was in college, instead of MTV and VH1, and grew to like several Canadian acts that didn't do much in the U.S.

I had moved out of range of my favorite radio station, so I was not really keeping up with music at the time, when my friend gave me a dubbed cassette of The Edges of Twilight.  He had bought the disc after hearing Fire in the Head on the radio, and thought that I would like them.  Needless to say, he was right.  I had never heard a blend of hard rock and world music like theirs before, and it opened up my eyes to different genres.  Previously, I had mostly listened to hair metal (which is really pop disguised as rock/metal) and from there moved on to progressive metal (DT is the only other band that made such a similar first impression on me, only more so), with a little thrash and classic rock thrown in.

Over the years, I continued to follow The Tea Party's career, buying all of their albums, some of them online because they had no proper American release.  Although none of them were as good as The Edges of Twilight, I liked all of them.  I was even lucky enough to see them in March of 1998 at The Paradise in Boston.  For a venue of about 900 people, there might have been a dozen people there, which was truly disheartening for me, let alone them.  I don't believe they ever toured the U.S. again, playing only a few one-offs in places like Buffalo, Detroit, and Seattle.

When they broke up in 2004, I wasn't torn up that much, because their albums I felt were slightly diminishing in quality with each successive release, and it was getting to be a pain in the ass to purchase them.  I had to go online to get Seven Circles, and while I did surprisingly find Jeff Martin's Exile in the Kingdom at Newbury (probably the only copy shipped to New England), even that was only decent, maybe comparable to a poor man's Splendor Solis.  I heard Jeff Martin's next band, The Armada, on Martin's website, but it didn't grab me enough to purchase the album.

My friend alerted me around 2010 that they were reuniting and going to tour Australia and maybe record another album, but I didn't really care.  A year or two later, he burned me a copy of Live From Australia, which I found to be good but not great.  Then, last fall, I heard The Water's on Fire online and, while I dismissed it as the mandatory sell-out ballad to get radio airplay (in Canada and Australia, anyway), it sparked my interest enough to buy it when it came out on iTunes.  I found it to be good but not great, which is my same opinion of everything they've released since Triptych.  Still, I hope they have enough success to keep going and putting out more music, because I've never heard any other band like them before and I still find them to be a great change of pace to what I normally listen to.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2015, 04:15:30 PM »
Yeah, I wasn't fan of the last one at all.  The live album wasn't the best performance either.  I hope they keep going but agree that their stuff did decline in quality as time went on.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2015, 09:57:31 AM »
Well said, mrrct.  Your interest in the band mirrors mine in many ways and I agree with your evaluation of the band's catalog as time went on.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2015, 02:52:29 PM »
They're one of those bands I've always liked what I heard on the radio but never fully ventured into. I should probably change that sometime, they're pretty cool.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2015, 03:50:30 PM »
I did always comended their variety though and I'd probably say Seven Circles was a small step up, for me at least.  I think I just liked what they did there, but putting it next to Twilight is quite scary.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 04:56:17 PM by wolfking »

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2015, 03:53:08 PM »
i've been a pretty big Tea Party fan since the '90s. i find their bizarre style changes have often lined up with what was popular at the time: they were playing The Doors-style psychedelic rock at the beginning, much the way The Smashing Pumpkins got noticed (and then honed more of a Zeppelin style for TEOT); by the time 1997 rolled around, it was the heyday of Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson, which is also when TTP did more of an industrial rock approach for Transmission; they adopted more of a U2 stadium rock approach for TRIPtych in 1999; and then sorta reverted to the old style in combination with the mainstream approach left intact from the U2 phase and also some I Mother Earth influence on The Interzone Mantras (which is also quite proto-Mars Volta in places, i might add). i have no idea if the band has ever denied this or acknowledged it.

they've kept consistencies across all the changes, though, so it's hard to call it a "sellout" rather than following the times!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2018, 10:51:26 PM »
bump.

New Single "Black River"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0Qn8O2knMQ

new album it sounds like may be coming in the near future...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2018, 04:27:21 AM »
bump.

New Single "Black River"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0Qn8O2knMQ

new album it sounds like may be coming in the near future...

Meh, pretty generic.  I didn't like the last album at all and I've loved everything up until that point.  I'll give the new one a chance though.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2018, 08:10:02 AM »
I didn't really like the new single, nor did I like the last record.

That said, they are playing by me next year (they don't do much U.S. touring), so I dropped the $22.06 for a ticket. They put on a great show from what I hear, so it'll be cool to see them. Hoping for a bunch of stuff from Triptych and Seven Circles.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2018, 03:37:19 PM »
I didn't really like the new single, nor did I like the last record.

That said, they are playing by me next year (they don't do much U.S. touring), so I dropped the $22.06 for a ticket. They put on a great show from what I hear, so it'll be cool to see them. Hoping for a bunch of stuff from Triptych and Seven Circles.

I'm glad it's not just me then in regards to the last album.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2018, 03:49:48 PM »
They lost their edge a bit to my ears. The Tea Party isn't a metal band, but it felt like they were neutered and just lounging listening to Led Zepp III.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2018, 03:56:02 PM »
They lost their edge a bit to my ears. The Tea Party isn't a metal band, but it felt like they were neutered and just lounging listening to Led Zepp III.

I can't even really tell you anything about it.  When they do the Zep thing, it just sounds like a waste, and a band with such a unique sound doing Zep style rip offs like this new song just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2018, 05:03:25 PM »
I still find The Ocean at the End quite good and one of the better records this decade.

Water's on Fire is among their best songs.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:57:22 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2019, 10:15:58 PM »
Saw a show on netflix called Bad Blood about the mafia in Montreal.  Great show. Good song plays so I look up the band. The song was called The River by The Tea Party. I order the album and listen to it and find out I like it. Looking forward to hearing more.

The show also featured the music of another Canadian band called The Sheepdogs. They're kinda folky/blues/rock. Been listening to them for a while.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2019, 12:30:02 AM »
Saw a show on netflix called Bad Blood about the mafia in Montreal.  Great show. Good song plays so I look up the band. The song was called The River by The Tea Party. I order the album and listen to it and find out I like it. Looking forward to hearing more.

The show also featured the music of another Canadian band called The Sheepdogs. They're kinda folky/blues/rock. Been listening to them for a while.

Get Edges of Twilight too.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2019, 09:44:18 AM »

Still their best album IMHO

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2019, 01:07:12 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion. Just ordered the deluxe edition

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2019, 03:33:24 AM »

Still their best album IMHO

Easily.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2019, 08:18:03 AM »
Been a HUGE fan from pretty much the beginning (The River was my Jam in the early '90s).

Like a lot of you, I found myself let down a bit by Seven Circles, which I suppose softened the blow of their hiatus. It was weird to see what appeared to be a really tight-knit group of musicians suddenly on the outs with each other.

I enjoyed the Jeff Martin solo albums but LOVED The Armada project. I was very disappointed there wasn't a second release. That is until The Tea Party reformed and released The Ocean At The End.

It was an amazing record that felt like a mix between Transmission, Triptych, and Interzone Mantras (which happen to be my favorite records).

As far as the new track. I dig it. Sounds cool. Can't wait to hear more!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2019, 02:25:08 PM »
The Armada album was indeed pretty good.  I for one really liked the straightforward approach of Seven Circles.  The title track is one of their best songs IMO.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2019, 09:13:15 AM »
Finally, 20 years after becoming a fan with TRIPtych, I get to see The Tea Party tonight. So excited.  :metal :metal

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2019, 01:32:37 PM »
Great show. Only about 100 people there, but it was a blast. I was dead center up front, and it was musical heaven for 100 minutes. You forget sometimes just how incredible it is for some of these progressive musicians to pull off everything they do so flawlessly. They played a couple from TRIPtych, which I appreciated, and then most of the stuff people knew (Transmission, etc.). Highly entertaining and just a great performance. They wrapped up the tour the next night in So Cal. I think they have a month off, and then are doing another leg. Europe, I think. Check em out if you have a chance. Well worth it.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2019, 03:16:09 PM »
I wish I could, but they never come close to my hometown of Minneapols/St.Paul (maybe Winnipeg?), and I can't justify traveling for concerts right now with a tight budget; I just bought a town house, etc.

but cool you finally got to see them after so long. I know how that is.