Author Topic: The Radiohead Thread v. Crushed Like a Bug in the Ground  (Read 13181 times)

Offline jag66

Re: The Radiohead Thread v. Crushed Like a Bug in the Ground
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2010, 02:15:56 PM »
You know I love Radiohead and OK Computer is my favourite album of the 90s, but I still haven't listened to In Rainbows.

you have something to majorly look forward to then, do it!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2010, 04:33:04 PM »
In Rainbows was so incredibly underwhelming I have a hard time talking about it especially since everyone seems to love it to tears. Probably their only album without a Grade A song.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2010, 05:28:27 PM »
In Rainbows was so incredibly underwhelming I have a hard time talking about it especially since everyone seems to love it to tears. Probably their only album without a Grade A song.
Jigsaw Falling Into Place, 15 Step, Videotape, Faust Arp, Nude, Weird Fishes etc. etc.
it has more grade A songs then Ok Computer and The Bends together. :P

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2010, 05:32:30 PM »
Eh they don't grip me the way the ones on those albums do. Videotape is pretty good though it's essentially a poor man's Pyramid Song.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2010, 05:39:10 PM »
In Rainbows rewards the assiduous listener.

Have patience, young padawan.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2010, 11:20:31 PM »

I think it has almost nothing but Grade A songs.  The only non-Grade A ones are probably "Bodysnatchers" and "Faust Arp," and those are still damn fine songs; really, they are just a hair below the rest of the songs.  I find In Rainbows to be staggering in its consistency.  :coolio

Videotape is pretty good though it's essentially a poor man's Pyramid Song.

Aside from both featuring the piano as the lead instrument, I don't see much of a similarity between those two songs, relatively speaking.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2010, 11:36:05 PM »
It definitely is consistent but it's barely a notch above background music, and I've given it a lot of listens. It just lacks the excitement of The Bends and OK Computer I suppose.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2010, 11:40:08 PM »
To each his own. :)

Honestly, even though I think it is terrific, aside from several songs which get major rotation with me when going through a heavy Radiohead phase, I almost never listen to The Bends.  I listen to every album they have done since a ton more than it. *shrugs*

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2010, 04:28:44 AM »
Personally i think The Bends is a bit too repetitive sound-wise, and OK Computer took the good stuff, and made it better together with a more varied sound.
Still, i prefer Kid A/Amnesiac over OK C and The Bends any day.

Offline jag66

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2010, 12:22:29 PM »
37. Talk Show Host - Radiohead's most established b-side. Talk show host even features on the film "Romeo and Juliet". Features the classic lyrics "i'll be waiting with a gun and a pack of sandwiches".

36. Arpeggi/Weird Fishes - Another great track from a surprisingly great record (my expectations weren't so high). The song much improved over it's original live version, with the addition of a catchy drum beat.

35. A Wolf at the Door - This song features Thom Yorke in rap mode, but don't let that put you off. One of Hail to the thief's highlights.

34. Subterranian Homesick Alien - A really dreamy song, which fits perfectly on OK Computer after the frenetic ending of Paranoid Android.

33. Just - A classic, and probably the only Radiohead song you'll ever hear at a club. There was a jazzified version from Mark Ronson's album. Maybe that's why it isn't higer for me: too much exposure. Great song though..

32. Jigsaw Falling Into Place - The lead single from their latest album took a while to hit me, but this is a seriously tight, catchy piece of work, and one of the highlights of the album.

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2010, 12:25:16 PM »
HOW CAN TALK SHOW HOST BE THAT LOW!!!???!!!???!!!???

:omg:
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2010, 10:36:25 PM »
You know I love Radiohead and OK Computer is my favourite album of the 90s, but I still haven't listened to In Rainbows.

There's no excuse for this, seeing as it was on sale for *whatever you wanted to pay from 0 to whatever* on their site for a long time.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline jag66

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2010, 12:46:32 PM »
31. Morning Bell - I love how Idioteque merges into this song, orgasmic. This is much better than the amnesiac rehash.. I particly enjoy Thom's spoken vocals towards the end amidst the chaos of the piano.

30. Last Flowers in the Hospital - Minimalistic but beautiful track from In Rainbows disc 2, Thom Yorke sure knows how to write a piano lead track.

29  15 Step - Catchy as hell. A great track to introduce someone to the band, due to its perfect mix of crazy electronica and guitars. I liiike.

28. No Surprises - This is one of their most mainstream releases, and its darn good too. This has been used for kiddies adverts, but without the rather depressing lyrics (no surprise there, no pun intended).

27. Planet Telex - A great way to start The Bends. Not all the tracks on this album have stood the test of time for me, but this one sure has. Everything is.. broken.

26. All I Need - Probably my favourite of the new live songs played before in Rainbows came out (when saw them at V festival). Was weird getting used to the changes, but I think they were for the better. Quite Boards of Canada, very atmospheric.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2010, 07:08:23 AM »
Hm. After not caring for OK Computer, I picked up Kid A and I'm really, really liking it :tup

Offline limnides

• DTF.org Member
  • Dum vita est, spes est.
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2010, 07:20:04 AM »
Everything In Its Right Place  :heart

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2010, 07:22:22 AM »
I made an "Everything in its Right Place" pandora station.  Added The Prize Fighter Inferno to the mix and now its one of my favorite stations when I do decide to use Pandora.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2010, 12:23:23 PM »
Hm. After not caring for OK Computer, I picked up Kid A and I'm really, really liking it :tup

Far out. :hat

Offline jag66

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2010, 12:23:45 PM »
25. Exit Music (for a film) - I begin indifferent to this sang, then it went into around the top 5, and these days its a top 20 song. Very powerful, particularly towards the end, culminating with the lyric "we hope that you choke".

24. Down Is The New Up - A fantastic song, found on the bonus disk of In Rainbows (the box set costing 40 quid wasn't quite as cheap as the "free" download. Features some of Phil Selways very best drumming.

23. There There - Hardcore fans might lynch me for having this so low, but hey, I love this song. Live this song features 3 band members contributing to the tribal-like drum intro.
A memorable lead single to Hail To The Thief.

22. The Tourist - A perfect closer for a perfect album. A similar vibe to subterranian homesick alien, this song glides effortlessly, whilst Yorke's souring vocals proclaim 'hey man, slow down. idiot, slow down'.

21. Climbing up the Walls - Yet another stunner from the great, great OK Computer. This is Radiohead's "scary" song, the ending of which could easily belong on a film score.

20. Fake Plastic Trees - Vintage Radiohead. To fans of their recent work, this may sound a little simple and dated, but FPT is a huge part of the band's history, and to me still sounds fresh 15(!) years on.

19. Like Spinning Plates - If I were rating this song live it would probably be in the top 10. The weird electronica of the album version is very different to the piano driven live version, but is nearly as memorable. This really does sound like the title of the song, and includes some juddery, backward sounding vocals.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2010, 01:46:09 AM »
Been spinning HttT lately, good stuff :tup

Offline jag66

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2010, 07:59:38 AM »
Not sure if many are following, but i'll continue anyhow.

18. Idioteque - A huge fan favourite, Idioteque is played live more regularly than anything from OK Computer and before. The Aphex Twin-esque really do sound lightyears awayfrom the alt-rock of The Bends.

17. My Iron Lung - Often overlooked after Just, I much prefer it. This was written in response to their hit from the previous album, Creep. 'This is our new song, just like the last one, a total waste of time, my iron lung', talks of their feelings towards their most famous song.

16. You and Whose Army - Some muted Yorke vocals are followed by a soaring piano lead. Another Radiohead track with a mesmerising ending.

15. Nude - Nude was around for ages before In Rainbows came out, and the (brief!) hype surrounding its release was huge amongst the hardcore fan base. The first time I heard the album version, I was blown away. They finally managed to get it right, and it really is one of the band's finest works.

14. Everything In Its Right Place - A classic from Kid A, which really comes into its own when played live. Like alot of Kid A's tracks, the live energy, along with the fact that they always tinker with it, makes it the best choice live set closer.

13. Where I End And You Begin - A brilliant moody piece from an album I consider one of their weaker (but it's still great).

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2010, 08:57:12 AM »
Some nice choices, though EIIRP would be a top10 song for me.  :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2010, 12:02:47 PM »
"My Iron Lung" is pretty popular with most Radiohead fans, it seems like, although I have never been that keen on it, so I am not sure I would call it overlooked. ;)  Good choices otherwise, though! :tup :tup

Oh, and it looks like Radiohead is gonna release a new album by the end of this year.  Can I have a "Hell yes!" from everyone? :biggrin:

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2010, 12:24:24 PM »
"My Iron Lung" is pretty popular with most Radiohead fans, it seems like, although I have never been that keen on it, so I am not sure I would call it overlooked. ;)  Good choices otherwise, though! :tup :tup

Oh, and it looks like Radiohead is gonna release a new album by the end of this year.  Can I have a "Hell yes!" from everyone? :biggrin:

HELL YES! o/

Offline jag66

« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2010, 02:27:32 PM »
Great news! as long as it's better than harry patch  :lol

"Guitarist Ed O’Brien was a guest on Adam Buxton’s show on BBC 6 Music today, saying he thinks the new Radiohead record ‘is the best record we’ve ever made’". People always say that, but still  :o

12. 2+2=5 - Radiohead's rockers have come on leaps and bounds imo, sounding alot more polished and layered. I'll take this over Just anyday, and it's probably my favourite song on HTTT.

11. Polyethyline - A quiet into (pt 1) metamorpasizes into one of their greatest heavier rocks songs. Found as a b-side to Paranoid Android, this is well worth a listen for those with just the albums.

10. Karma Police - Probably their most famous song, and it's amazing too! Ask an average Joe about Radiohead, they'll probably say they're rubbish, apart from Creep, and this one. I may disagree with the first, but not with the second. Watch them at either of their Glastonbury Festival performances and you'll see how magic this song can be.

9. Let Down - This is another classic from their best album (although not everyone agrees of course). 2 guitars intertwine (much like weird fishes/arpeggi) to create a wonderful sound, but unfortunately it's difficultly has meant it has barely ever been played live.

Offline jag66

« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2010, 07:40:12 AM »
8. Paranoid Android - It's here, perhaps their most celebrated song, and with good reason. A long song at over 6 minutes (ok, pretty short around here), which in true prog style, splits nicely into 3 parts. A brilliant acoustic intro, a singalong chorus, crunching guitar work, the "rain down" bit (!) etc, this song has it all.

7. A Reminder - A second Paranoid Android b-side in the top 15! By no means a huge fan favourite, but I just love this song. A typical OK Computer era track, sprinkled with subtle electronica amidst it's beauty, check it out!

6. Airbag - Better than Paranoid android? Well maybe.. The first of the my favourite tracks 1-2 on an album (with only blackest eyes/trains coming close). Love the drums on this song.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2010, 08:18:11 AM »
Some great choices, i LOVE Airbag.
My favorite on OK Computer, i love the mix between amazing guitars and great singing etc. =)

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2010, 11:44:21 AM »
I certainly like Airbag, but I'd be surprised if it made it in my top 20 honestly. Definitely some good choices, I'm looking forward to what your final five are :tup

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2010, 11:47:36 AM »
Not much from OK Computer would reach my personal top20, but Airbag and Paranoid Android would prolly do it.
Maybe Lucky as well.

Offline jag66

« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2010, 06:30:47 PM »
OKC is my favourite album ever, although i think theres only 1 more from that album to come.. man i cant wait for new album to come out  :biggrin:

Offline jag66

« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2010, 01:15:27 PM »
5. Lucky - The first Radiohead song that I really liked, although I don't listen to it much any more. Historically speaking for me, the best moment on my favourite album of all time (even though they've written 3 better songs in their career imo, I wouldn't trade any of them). Another brilliant live singalong song/

4. How To Disappear Completely - The epic from Kid A. This outshines all the electronic pieces on the album, a truelly haunting experience. One of their most highly regarded songs with the hardcore of the fanbase, no real surprises there. Finally caught this song live on the 5th attempt a year or 2 ago  :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2010, 11:16:11 PM »
There are three better Radiohead songs than "How to Disappear Completely?"  Could have fooled me. :p Will be interesting to see what they are.

"A Reminder" being that high is a shocker.  Good song, but that good?  Hmmmmm.  But hey, it is your list, so there ya go. :)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2010, 05:56:35 AM »
Personally i don't think How to Disappear Completely would break my top5, but i agree it's a fantastic song.

Offline jag66

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2010, 06:11:37 AM »
There are three better Radiohead songs than "How to Disappear Completely?"  Could have fooled me. :p Will be interesting to see what they are.

"A Reminder" being that high is a shocker.  Good song, but that good?  Hmmmmm.  But hey, it is your list, so there ya go. :)

Indeed, I wouldnt expect it to be very high in many peoples lists, I just like it (although perhaps biasing it just because it's a b-side).
The top 3 are fairly obvious songs i'd say..

Offline limnides

• DTF.org Member
  • Dum vita est, spes est.
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2010, 07:38:08 AM »
Everything In Its Right Place, How To Disappear Completely, Street Spirit (Fade Out)

Probably, maybe, I d'know.  I've actually never really considered a Top (#) for them before.  Hmm.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2010, 09:36:09 AM »
I listened to a bit of HTTT a couple of days ago.  Punch Up/Myxomatosis is a killer combo.