Author Topic: So I have just started to commute to work for the first time, DT really helps  (Read 2255 times)

Offline perfectchaos180

It makes the trip go by so much faster when I can just be like "I'll listen to A Change of Seasons and a couple of other songs and then I will be there!"

Thank you DT for making my car trips seem shorter

Offline The Letter M

DT does make long car trips go by pretty well. I also use DT's epics to my advantage when sunbathing on the beach. I play one or two songs that add up to about 40 minutes, and when they are done, I know when to turn over  :rollin

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yea DT makes great commute music.  I commute 100 miles round trip and lately Ive listenef to every IM album in order, started BNW today, and was planning on starting DT when Im done in preperation for seeing them in one month.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
My car is my sanctuary, always decked out with tunes.  I couldn't stand commuting otherwise.  My commute is only 25-30 minutes nowadays, but it used to be 45-60 depending on traffic, and it's amazing how much listening to tunes helps.

"I'll listen to A Change of Seasons and a couple of other songs and then I will be there!"

Exactly.  I'm not wasting time in my car going from Point A to Point B; I'm just listening to some tunes for a half an hour or so.  When they're done, I'll be at work.  After work, I'll do the same thing and will end up at home.  My commute is my best listening time, because I have total control over what I hear, how loud, etc.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
My car is my sanctuary, always decked out with tunes.  I couldn't stand commuting otherwise.  My commute is only 25-30 minutes nowadays, but it used to be 45-60 depending on traffic, and it's amazing how much listening to tunes helps.

"I'll listen to A Change of Seasons and a couple of other songs and then I will be there!"

Exactly.  I'm not wasting time in my car going from Point A to Point B; I'm just listening to some tunes for a half an hour or so.  When they're done, I'll be at work.  After work, I'll do the same thing and will end up at home.  My commute is my best listening time, because I have total control over what I hear, how loud, etc.

Agree completely. Driving is one of my favorite things to do for these reasons.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
it makes it great, too, when doing family trips.  I make the deal that they can listen to one song they like (avg 3-5min) and I will listen to one song I like  :)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
it makes it great, too, when doing family trips.  I make the deal that they can listen to one song they like (avg 3-5min) and I will listen to one song I like  :)

Haha did this with someone on a trip upstate once with SDOIT :lol
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
I find I appreciate new music even more in the car. When I'm home, I'm easily distracted... but when I'm in my car, driving for 45 minutes at a time, I can really focus on the music being played.

I know that makes me sound like a careless driver.  :lol But around here, a lot of the driving is just one road/deserted back roads with very few stops, so it doesn't take that much attention.

Offline nemesiskoen

I think Dream Theater and Transatlantic are both great bands that make time go fast. I take the airplane frequently (trips ranging from 2 hours to 10 hours) and they help making it less boring. One way trip Brussels-Stockholm takes about 1 Whirlwind listen.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
I've always measured a journey between Allentown and Scranton as 1 SFAM. :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
llol'd

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
:lol :rollin :lol
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Concept albums and longer tunes in general are great for when you have extended time in the car.  It's not time wasted in transport; it's quality listening time.

Offline jackbauer114

• I DO COCAINE!
You know whats good to listen to on car trips? Arriving Somewhere But Not Here. When the band kicks in, and its just the open road, its awesome. Great driving music, same thing with Deadwing.