Author Topic: Krautrock thread  (Read 4723 times)

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
Krautrock thread
« on: June 01, 2010, 10:04:26 PM »
Krautrock is a generic name for the experimental music scene that appeared in Germany in the late 1960s and gained popularity throughout the 1970s, especially in Britain. BBC DJ John Peel in particular is largely credited with spreading the reputation of krautrock outside of the German-speaking world
ITT: We discuss/appricate this superb genre of music. I don't really know how many fans there are on this site, but I'm sure I've seen a few. But alas there was no thread dedicated to it, so I feel obliged to create one.

I just love the experimentation and originality of many of these bands. My favourite band of all being Neu! but I also greatly enjoy Can, Kraftwerk, Faust and La Düsseldorf. There are many more though I have yet to discover!

If you are a fan or thinking of getting into this genre, post your thoughts!  :smiley:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 11:15:59 PM by Portrucci »
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
Re: Krautrock thread
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
There's already a KrotchRaut thread.

:neverusethis:

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 10:16:30 PM »
For those not sure where to start, here are three albums to check out. The bands approaches are quite different from each other, but they all fall under the banner of krautrock. The common theme you could say is sonic experimentation. So if you don't like one song, you might still like the next  :laugh:

Can - Tago Mago (1972)

The poster-boys of krautrock, and for good reason. This rock double-album is regarded as (one of) the quintessential experimental rock albums. Though the drumming and guitar are mesmorizing and catchy, the real sonic gambles come from from Damo Suzuki's bizarre but intriguing vocal style, and the heavy use of cut and paste editing. This band requires an open mind to get into, but the rewards are well worth it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBVdqjPEZqs

Neu! - Neu! '75 (1975)

The best example of a reunion done properly. And it has the all hallmarks of two people with quite different opinions on music. You can almost sense the struggle and compromise. The first half is (Micheal) Rother-dominated ambient/rock and the second half full of (Klaus) Dingers proto-punk freak outs. And it works. The juxtaposition of these two diverging styles works amazingly well...like opposite colors on a color wheel. This is the first track on the album; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKGvKLBx9q8

Faust - Faust IV (1973)

While Can loved to experiment with sonic stlyes, Faust loved to experiment with sound. With noise. The eclectic group is known for their radical approach to what constitues an instrument. Fond of cement mixers and chainsaws...their sound retained enough convention about it to be catchy and it never quite crossed that line (which many do) of turning music into noise for the sake of experimentation. There is an extremely diverse range of styles displayed on this LP from drone to jazz. This is one of the more straightforward tracks (which is still completely out there, even compared to prog): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MyxC76M5B4
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 11:15:35 PM by Portrucci »
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 02:13:23 AM »
I think the Porcupine Tree-cover of "Hallogallo" by Neu! is pretty interesting, though i haven't really began to dig deeper in the krautrock-genre.
You did mention Kraftwerk, but would you coun't them as Krautrock?
I do enjoy them however. :P

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 03:41:16 AM »
I think the Porcupine Tree-cover of "Hallogallo" by Neu! is pretty interesting, though i haven't really began to dig deeper in the krautrock-genre.
You did mention Kraftwerk, but would you coun't them as Krautrock?
I do enjoy them however. :P
Their early few albums are considered krautrock, but they became progressively more electronic with time.  :) You are right though, they are indeed more renound as an "electronic band" and consequently, probably not where I'd start with krautrock.

Yeah I never even thought to check out this genre for a long time...but it's always intrigued me. When one day I got a hold of Neu! '75 it just really clicked. If you were thinking of digging deeper, that's the band I'd begin with. That Hallogallo song is on their self-titled debut Neu! which is just as good as '75. I think you will find this style of music has really aged well, compared with say some of the more complex prog rock bands.  :tup

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 04:35:03 AM »
The only Krautrock I've heard is Amon Duul II's album "Phallus Dei", which is a pretty wacky album... I enjoy it when I'm in the right mood though.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 04:42:54 AM »
The only Krautrock I've heard is Amon Duul II's album "Phallus Dei", which is a pretty wacky album... I enjoy it when I'm in the right mood though.
Ah I've heard of them, but haven't listened to any of their stuff. Will see if I can find that album

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 06:21:24 AM »
I have albums of Can and Neu!, got Kraftwerk last week too.

Can - Tago Mago
      - Future Days
Neu! - Neu!
       - Neu! 75
Kraftwerk - Trans-Europa Express

Very different to the average rock scene back in the 70s, and it's all good stuff worth checking out imo :tup

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 09:24:06 AM »
I've heard one Kraftwerk song (Autobahn), and it was alright. I think I'd want something more exciting, though.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 03:42:58 AM »
Ah I've heard of them, but haven't listened to any of their stuff. Will see if I can find that album
Listening to Phallus Dei right now, it's terrific! Love all the different sounds and stlyes their using...and I'm only on the first track so far  :laugh:

I have albums of Can and Neu!, got Kraftwerk last week too.

Can - Tago Mago
      - Future Days
Neu! - Neu!
       - Neu! 75
Kraftwerk - Trans-Europa Express

Very different to the average rock scene back in the 70s, and it's all good stuff worth checking out imo :tup
I gave you all those albums!  :justjen   Haha, but you did say you pretty much enjoyed them. And those are some of the best  :tup

I've heard one Kraftwerk song (Autobahn), and it was alright. I think I'd want something more exciting, though.
Yeah...that's a bit of a strange song. And not really indicative of the type of music most other krautrock bands play IMO. I like that song (and album) though. So if you want to get a better idea of the genre, try out some of the links in my 2nd post  :)

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 05:42:59 PM »
I got some Popul Vol, will report back with my findings :tup

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 05:30:00 AM »
Not letting this thread slip to the second page!

Ok so Popul Vol was pretty cool, need more listens obviously. I just listened to La Düsseldorf's S-T debut and it's amazing, I love stuff like that. Onto the second album, Viva, and there's some more proto-punk. Klaus Dinger definitely kept his roots from Neu! in La Düsseldorf.
I also listened to Kraftwerk's Autobahn last night, some catchy but fun stuff nonetheless. Can's Ege Bamyasi was pretty cool too, I like what they did on that record.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 04:49:37 AM »

Ok so Popul Vol was pretty cool, need more listens obviously. I just listened to La Düsseldorf's S-T debut and it's amazing, I love stuff like that. Onto the second album, Viva, and there's some more proto-punk. Klaus Dinger definitely kept his roots from Neu! in La Düsseldorf.
I also listened to Kraftwerk's Autobahn last night, some catchy but fun stuff nonetheless. Can's Ege Bamyasi was pretty cool too, I like what they did on that record.
:tup :tup Lotta cool stuff there

Just finished listening to Ash Ra Tempel's self-titled debut, and holy fuck! This is one terrific album. A lot of improv and ambient, but mostly psychedelic. Any fans of psychedelic music owe it to themselves to check out this band!

1. Amboss - 19:57
2. Traummaschine - 25:36

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzUnGUtKl5U

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 04:58:02 AM »
*stops as if frozen in time*

YOU KNOW I HAVE A THING FOR EGYPTIAN THEMED MUSIC

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 05:08:58 AM »
*stops as if frozen in time*

YOU KNOW I HAVE A THING FOR EGYPTIAN THEMED MUSIC
errm, well the music isn't actually Egyptian themed at all. Only the name of the band and this album cover are, as far as I can tell. Either way you will still probably enjoy it  :smiley:

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 05:10:56 AM »
Heh, all I need is a mental image like an album cover and a name and it works just as well.

Checking out the link.
Edit: cool stuff, I'll get it sometime soon I think. Time for some Faust!

Btw one day a bypasser of this thread might come across all this mentioned music and think to themselves WOW.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 05:18:45 AM by SPNKr »

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 04:33:08 AM »

:tup :tup Lotta cool stuff there

Just finished listening to Ash Ra Tempel's self-titled debut, and holy fuck! This is one terrific album. A lot of improv and ambient, but mostly psychedelic. Any fans of psychedelic music owe it to themselves to check out this band!

1. Amboss - 19:57
2. Traummaschine - 25:36

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzUnGUtKl5U

Listening!! Sounds :hat so far.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 12:16:22 PM »
I'm getting into the Incredible Expanding Mindfuck, which is SW's homage to Krautrock. Where else should I go as far as the real stuff from the 60s and 70s?
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Online PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 05:28:44 PM »
Just listening to the Can youtube link. Awesome sounding drums, I really like that dry, powerful 70's sound.

I've been meaning to check out Krautrock some more, after listening to bands that have been influenced by it. Ozric Tentacles (most psychedelic instrumental rock ever) are highly influenced by it, and now I hear it. Awesome dude!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 07:25:11 PM »
I'm getting into the Incredible Expanding Mindfuck, which is SW's homage to Krautrock. Where else should I go as far as the real stuff from the 60s and 70s?
Well I posted the 'essentials' in my 2nd post, which are Can - Tago Mago, Neu - Neu '75 and Faust - Faust IV. I have heard Wilson mention those numberable times as well as a few others. The albums aren't particularly similar in any way except that they are all pretty experimental. They all have that great 70's sound though. If you want more ambient psychedelic stuff, try Tangerine Dream - Phaedra, Popol Vuh - In den Gärten Pharaos or Ash Ra Tempel - Ash Ra Tempel, which are all fantastic. If you like any of those albums, most of the bands put out at least 2 or more great albums so it's then worth checking out the rest of that bands discography.  :)

Just listening to the Can youtube link. Awesome sounding drums, I really like that dry, powerful 70's sound.

I've been meaning to check out Krautrock some more, after listening to bands that have been influenced by it. Ozric Tentacles (most psychedelic instrumental rock ever) are highly influenced by it, and now I hear it. Awesome dude!
Keep exploring! It's pretty much a gold mine of great music. And for so long I had no idea this genre even existed. But at the moment I even prefer it to 70's prog rock. The sound is still fresh and interesting. And you can see where a lot of bands got some of their inspiration.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 06:23:36 PM »
EPIC BUMP. Not sure why there aren't more fans of these bands, they are easily as good as Yes, Genesis etc.
anyway, here are some more album recommendations! Though I'm not sure anyone checks em out  :lol

Ton Steine Scherben - Keine Macht für Niemand

If you like great 70s guitar players, you will love this album. Although nearly unspoken of in the English-speaking world, this is one of the great guitarists albums. Not technically 'krautrock', just rock made in the same time period and location as krautrock, but make no mistake, this is one of the greatest albums of all time. The lyrics are all German, but let the music do the talking; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnOZbIkcxXk

Popol Vuh - Hosianna Mantra

Much more on the ambient & experimental side of rock, this masterpiece features stunning female vocals and beautiful piano accompaniment, along with a multitude of other instruments and experimentations. Enjoy; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDjWtN4djvs

Amon Düül II

This band was literally introduced to me by Dr. Sea Wolf in this thread as you might see above, and has fast become one of my favourite rock bands. Perfect bland of good ol' 70s rock and wild experimentation in sounds and vocals. But the sound should be familiar to 70s rock fans! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDcvKyZqdyw

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 06:25:13 PM »
Amon Duul II is my second favourite Krautrock band next to Can. Phallus Dei and Yeti are just amazing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 06:27:23 PM »
Also, Portrucci, have you heard Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree's side project, Incredible Expanding Mindfuck? There is some definite Krautrock influence in the music.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 06:30:26 PM »
Also, Portrucci, have you heard Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree's side project, Incredible Expanding Mindfuck? There is some definite Krautrock influence in the music.
I have heard of it, and I always forget to check it out. One of my favourite modern musicians trying his hand at one of my favourite genres. So thanks for reminding me   :tup

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 06:32:14 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiOqHrPI12s

Try that. It's a pretty neat song.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2010, 06:40:54 PM »

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2010, 06:43:50 PM »
I'm a big fan of Incredible Expanding Mindfuck, which I think fits into krautrock.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2010, 10:55:35 PM »
DAMN! I wish I had that Keine Nacht für Niemand album instead of Wen Die Nacht Am Tiefsten...
I remember Portrucci showed me this cool blues riff that had some groove to it, like Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple and it was a song off Keine Nacht. Now I wanna sniff some glue hear some Kraut Rock like Neu! and Blue Cheer.

(even though Blue Cheer ain't kraut rock, they were in the vein of Black Sabbath crossed with Hendrix and maybe early Rod Evans Deep Purple era. They still had that "bland sound" of the 60s like many kraut bands had; classic, dry, fuzzy, nostalgic)

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 04:33:14 AM »
Just listening to some Neu! now....this might be my favourite music of all time. As Iggy Pop put it, Neu!'s music just allows your thoughts to flow....there's nothing like it really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FbmTmCnwEk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldJ4DZkwHIs

the free spirited nature of it just pushes all my buttons I guess. Maybe not for everyone, but it's god damn worth a try!

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2011, 05:06:16 AM »
^ Man speaks. Man delivers truth.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2011, 11:06:04 AM »
Love Neu! :biggrin:

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2011, 05:47:42 AM »
Going to see Faust on the 10th of June! Wow, I can't believe I'll get to see a krautrock band  :lol In this country of all places. Decided to spin Faust IV to celebrate. Great LP.  :hat

edit: and not a single fuck was given that day  :lol
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:27:46 AM by Portrucci »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2011, 03:08:45 PM »
Nice! :o I envy you.

Been addicted to Ash Ra Tempel lately. Amboss is so amazing.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2011, 05:55:51 AM »
Friend wanted music from me, heard of Krautrock, gave him NEU! 75, success.

Going to see Faust on the 10th of June! Wow, I can't believe I'll get to see a krautrock band  :lol In this country of all places. Decided to spin Faust IV to celebrate. Great LP.  :hat

edit: and not a single fuck was given that day  :lol

;)

Offline Iarwain

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2011, 12:58:32 PM »
The bands I'm most familiar with are Can and Kraftwerk. I also enjoy Faust, Neu!, Harmonia, Cluster, Guru Guru and Amon Düül II, but I've only heard one or two albums from each band.

I really should look more into that whole scene.