Author Topic: The Official Android Thread  (Read 180870 times)

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
Re: The Official Android Thread
« Reply #560 on: February 25, 2011, 03:34:26 AM »
Hey guys, looks like I'm going to get an Android mobile phone soon.

So, what would you recommend: HTC Desire or HTC Desire Z? At the moment, the Desire is about € 50 cheaper (which is a good thing because I don't want to spend more than € 350 (+/- 5%), but I really dig the physical keyboard of the Z and I don't think that the extra weight would be that much of a downer for me. But still, I'm torn.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #561 on: February 25, 2011, 03:48:34 AM »
I have the Desire and I love it. The on screen keyboard initially put me off as well, but I've had no issues with it and I'm glad I decided to go with it. It's so sleek, stylish, and goddamn awesome.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #562 on: February 25, 2011, 05:25:51 AM »
Interesting.
I was told to hunt down an e-reader for my inlaws. So I bought a pair of Pandigital Novel readers. They seem to do nearly everythign..but none of it particularly well. But, because they run Android 1.5 hackers have gone crazy trying to open them and have basically turned a mediocre reader into a mediocre tablet. There's only about a dozen or so apps that will run on it.

anyone else have one of these things?
Pandigital has even put one of the software hacks up on their site and endorsed it for people wanting to crack these things into an full~ish android device.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #563 on: February 26, 2011, 04:17:48 AM »
@tri.ad I had a quick demo on a desire z in a shop and the keyboard mechanism felt like it would break very easily!
I initially hated touch screen keyboards but when a friend showed me swype I was instantly converted. I was so impressed that I went out and got myself an android phone! In short, I think you ought to save the money as I think a slidey typing app is actually better than a physical keyboard.
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: February 26, 2011, 04:37:13 AM »
@tri.ad I had a quick demo on a desire z in a shop and the keyboard mechanism felt like it would break very easily!
I initially hated touch screen keyboards but when a friend showed me swype I was instantly converted. I was so impressed that I went out and got myself an android phone! In short, I think you ought to save the money as I think a slidey typing app is actually better than a physical keyboard.

I wouldn't trust a display model for durability.  I have the original Motorola Droid with slide-out keyboard, and the display model felt horrible, but mine was perfect. 

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
« Reply #565 on: February 26, 2011, 10:01:33 AM »
well no, but that's the good majority, the starbucks dwellers who buy iphone because they are told it's the best phone.

It's quite amazing really. You can go into a Starbuck's, and far more than 50% of the people there have an Apple.

rumborak

The last time I was in Starbucks, all I saw was Dells... I hate stereotypes.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #566 on: February 26, 2011, 10:32:05 AM »
I think I'm gonna get the Nexus S once my contract is up.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: February 26, 2011, 10:59:07 AM »
well no, but that's the good majority, the starbucks dwellers who buy iphone because they are told it's the best phone.

It's quite amazing really. You can go into a Starbuck's, and far more than 50% of the people there have an Apple.

rumborak

Na, you just hate stereotypes that you fall under.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #568 on: February 26, 2011, 11:01:39 AM »
ZING!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: February 26, 2011, 02:48:32 PM »
I think I'm gonna get the Nexus S once my contract is up.

Do it, I <3 my galaxy S

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #570 on: February 26, 2011, 02:50:35 PM »
Yeah, I've played around with a Galaxy S, it really is amazing!

Though if that rumored HTC Pyramid becomes a reality... well I might just go with that one.

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
« Reply #571 on: February 26, 2011, 07:51:36 PM »

rumborak

Na, you just hate stereotypes that you fall under.

How do you know?  What phone do I have?  What desktops do I have?  Don't pretend to know me.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: February 26, 2011, 07:56:04 PM »
Shit's getting serious up in here.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: February 26, 2011, 08:37:40 PM »
:lol

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: February 27, 2011, 09:55:31 AM »
Looks like all the versions of the HTC Desire (Desire, Desire HD, Desire Z) and the Incredible S will be getting Android 2.3.3 by the end of June.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #575 on: February 27, 2011, 09:59:09 AM »
I hope they don't get the screen discoloration that Nexus S owners are reporting after receiving that update.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: February 27, 2011, 10:00:01 AM »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #577 on: February 27, 2011, 10:04:16 AM »

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: February 27, 2011, 10:07:05 AM »
Jesus Christ, that's bad.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #579 on: March 02, 2011, 10:51:24 AM »
make sure you don't download the wrong app.. (btw this isn't flaming but i haven't seen this posted anywhere. Don't want any fellow DT fans to get a virus or trojan.

https://venturebeat.com/2011/03/02/dozens-of-android-apps-pulled-from-market-due-to-malware-infections/

Dozens of apps have been pulled from the Android Market because they have been infected with malware. The infection is one of the worst to hit the mobile market, which has been relatively safe from malware attacks compared to the constant barrage of infections on PCs.

The malware attack shows that Android’s big advantage — the openness that gives it an edge over Apple’s closed mobile ecosystem — is also Android’s biggest disadvantage when it comes to protecting users against cyberattacks.

While Apple screens its apps, Google allows just about anybody to upload apps into the Android Market. It hopes to head off bad stuff by putting power in the user’s own hands to grant permission for apps when they want to access sensitive things.

Apps released by developers under the names “Kingmall2010″, “we20090202″, and  “Myournet” contain the DroidDream malware and have been pulled from the Android Market. Google could remove infected apps as well using remote technology, but it has not yet done so. Lookout Mobile Security has a list of all of the apps that have been pulled. The apps reportedly could compromise a user’s personal data.

The malware was discovered by a user named Lompolo on the popular news aggregation site Reddit. The user noticed that the developer of one of the malicious apps had posted pirated versions of legitimate apps under the developer name Myournet. Lookout also said that it identified a large number of other apps that also contain the DroidDream malware and it is working with Google to get those apps removed.

Lompolo found that two suspicious apps had been created in a way that allows them to break out of an Android app’s security sandbox, which isolates code to prevent security breaches. A blogger at Android Police verified that they contain code that can steal a user’s sensitive information.

Users who have downloaded the infected apps may have had their data compromised. Lookout said it has pushed out an update to its users of its mobile security software that will protect them from DroidDream attacks.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #580 on: March 02, 2011, 10:55:38 AM »
I'm waiting for the day an app as popular as say Angry Birds comes out with a delayed cirus and bricks millions of phones all at once.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #581 on: March 03, 2011, 12:42:05 AM »
According to Jordan's Facebook (and twit), he is working on Morphwiz for Andriod...

this pleases me
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #582 on: March 03, 2011, 02:18:19 AM »
Morphwiz for android would also please me greatly. Especially if he makes a paid-for ad-free version and a free but ad-laden one so I could try it for free!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: March 03, 2011, 05:41:04 AM »
According to Jordan's Facebook (and twit), he is working on Morphwiz for Andriod...

this pleases me

yup, I'd have tons of fun on it with my galaxy s.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #584 on: March 03, 2011, 07:59:17 AM »

this pleases me

yup, I'd have tons of fun on it with my galaxy s.
So there's a version already out?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: March 03, 2011, 08:25:57 AM »
He said he WOULD have fun with it.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #586 on: March 03, 2011, 08:30:46 AM »
NO U!

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
« Reply #587 on: March 03, 2011, 09:52:58 PM »
Anybody else have Evo 4G?  How is your battery life?  Mine was horrid until I removed almost all of the widgets from my home screens.  This seems to have dramatically helped, but seems to have neutered one of the better features of Android.  Is Android its own worst enemy?  Or does HTC suck?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #588 on: March 03, 2011, 10:00:27 PM »
Do you get 4G?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: March 04, 2011, 04:49:49 AM »
The Evo 4G just has horrible battery life.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: March 04, 2011, 06:03:45 AM »
Anybody else have Evo 4G?  How is your battery life?  Mine was horrid until I removed almost all of the widgets from my home screens.  This seems to have dramatically helped, but seems to have neutered one of the better features of Android.  Is Android its own worst enemy?  Or does HTC suck?

Turning off the 4g may help if you're getting it, hell I run my vibrant with 3g off most of the time and I get great battery life.

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
« Reply #591 on: March 04, 2011, 06:59:03 AM »

Turning off the 4g may help if you're getting it, hell I run my vibrant with 3g off most of the time and I get great battery life.

I keep it off unless I need the speed. 

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #592 on: March 04, 2011, 09:58:55 AM »
i have evo and the battery sucks, it is what it is, big screen and lots of shit running. i hear the gingerbread will solve the battery issues a bit, so i'm hoping they release it soon. i am this close to rooting but too lazy/nervous to go down that road.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #593 on: March 04, 2011, 10:18:18 AM »
I have little to no battery issues with my Droid X. I think it's just the Evo.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #594 on: March 04, 2011, 12:18:27 PM »
Fun thing to do: Take your phone and dial "* # * # 4 6 3 6 # * # *". Hidden menu!

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."