Author Topic: The Official Android Thread  (Read 178351 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: The Official Android Thread
« Reply #1295 on: August 07, 2018, 12:42:12 PM »
Bixby is only annoying because theres a dedicated physical button for it but otherwise it's not in the way at all. Sometimes I accidentally hit the button and then it's annoying. The only notification I have for the Samsung apps is when they get updated. I dont use them and they dont bother me at all.

I have an S8, and I love Bixby. I have it set up to only accept long presses for voice commands (or the Hot Words)... so if I accidentally hit the button, nothing happens. I use Bixby for basic voice commands (Turn on Flashlight, Mute Phone, etc). Annnnd I use Nova Launcher, so I don't have to deal with accidentally swiping to the Bixby screen.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #1296 on: August 07, 2018, 01:35:44 PM »
I don't think i will ever justify spending $600+ on a phone.  What are some recommendations on sub $300 phones?  My research seems to point to the Moto G and X phones.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1297 on: August 11, 2018, 10:35:18 AM »
Yeah I'm in that camp as well, while I paid about $400 for my new LG V30, I'm going to sell my iphone 6 Plus 64 GB, even if I get above $200 for it, it's good enough.

I don't think I'm ever spending over a max of $500 for a phone outright unless it's something I really really want and cannot wait.

I do  like how there are several choices in the different categories of phones you can choose for Android phones and you can plan according to your price point..

I think the Moto G6 sounds like a great option.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1298 on: August 11, 2018, 10:44:43 AM »
With regards to the new Note 9. I like how the base version is now 128 GB. With all this 4k footage now possible, I'm glad larger storage options are becoming common. Just the thought of a phone with 1TB phone storage is beyond excellent.

The Pixel 3 XL leaks show an obnoxiously large notch, I'm not a fan at all of the notches though I do like how some phones like the LG G7 and OnePlus allow it to be used creatively.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1299 on: August 11, 2018, 01:48:26 PM »
If they'd just give an option to use the Bixby button for something else I'd be cool.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1300 on: September 05, 2018, 10:17:53 AM »
So I caved in and traded my v30 for the note 8. Dang this phone is amazing. The display is outright gorgeous. Very vibrant and sharp. The V30 already had a great OLED screen but the Galaxy ones are on a whole new level.

Love the s-pen stylus. So useful for me at work especially.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1301 on: October 17, 2018, 10:04:08 AM »
My Pixel 3 should be arriving in the mail tomorrow. Really looking forward to a fresh start.  :smiley:

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1302 on: August 19, 2019, 06:38:32 PM »
The Note 10/10+ is out this week with many people already getting their units early. I like how the base storage starts with 256 GB. That's an enormous amount of space, to begin with.
I'm still mulling on pulling the trigger for it. It's way too expensive and would be the most I would've ever spent on a smartphone. And would be just a year after I got my Note 8.

The display for the 10+ is huge with a 6.8" screen all the while being just a tad taller than the previous models. I really don't like the fact they removed the headphone jack, Samsung was the one last hope in the Android world for me to maintain the jack and offer really high-end devices.

Everything else looks good about it apart from the jack. I don't mind the pinhole camera right in the middle of the top bar, doesn't bother me as much.

I'm a huge fan of the S-pen. I use it every day for not just note-taking and doodling, but for browsing and just about every other task and has become a very integral part of my phone experience. I can't imagine having a phone without a pen now.

Still.. the cost is way too much to justify.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1303 on: August 20, 2019, 05:29:18 AM »
I haven't had a Note since the Note 4 and I wasn't impressed with that phone.

I am, however, in love with my s10+. I can't believe how much android has changed while I went on a 5 year trip to iphone land. It seems like such a solid OS now and is so capable.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #1304 on: August 20, 2019, 07:39:35 AM »
If they'd just give an option to use the Bixby button for something else I'd be cool.

Way late to the party here, but there are apps you can use to re-map it to any number of other functions.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1305 on: August 20, 2019, 08:32:33 AM »
Same here, I didn't even install any 3rd party app but I remapped the single key press to open my messages app. It's in the settings on Android pie.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1306 on: August 20, 2019, 09:21:15 AM »
I have no idea how to do any of that.  Truth be told, I don't even know how to use Bixby.  I'm probably WAY underutilizing my phone and wish I know how to use it more optimally.  Any suggestions?

On a different note, but also tech-related, I am also looking for a budget-friendly (i.e., CHEAP) small notebook or 2-in-1.  Primary usage will just be for routine Internet browsing, MS office products (Word and PowerPoint, and use with a projector for those functions), email, and access to Google docs and calendar.  So great performance is not a huge issue (other than perhaps being able to multi-task without huge lag if I have more than one of the aforementioned functions open).  I just want something compact that will run those functions. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1307 on: August 21, 2019, 07:35:07 AM »
Are you asking about Bixby or the phone
I have no idea how to do any of that.  Truth be told, I don't even know how to use Bixby.
I don't use Bixby either. To remap the Bixby key for single press, go to settings->Advanced Features-> Bixby Key-> select 'Double press to open Bixby' and underneath that will be an option for single press, you just go and select the apps listed there.
That's all and though technically Bixby is activated, you never need to see it or interact with it unless you double press the Bixby key.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1308 on: August 22, 2019, 09:27:46 PM »
I never use the Bixby key either, but I do use Bixby routines.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1309 on: January 26, 2020, 10:28:37 AM »
So i'm thinking of getting a new phone and retire my old S6. I can honestly say i'm so uninterested in phones these days. I used to be into the latest and greatest but not anymore, nowdays I just want a phone I can use for everyday needs like calling, sms, calender, photos, surfing and that's about it. I couldn't care less about pixeldensity or whatever.

Without much research, anyone know if the A50 is a good enough phone? The S10 just feels too much of everything and i'm sure you get so much more but still the price is just....ugh.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1310 on: January 27, 2020, 06:13:30 AM »
If I remember correctly the A50 was one of the highest-selling Samsung phones last year along with the A10. I was looking at those phones for someone in my family as a budget phone.

Nowadays the everyday uses you mention are easily done by any mid-range phone, so the choices you get are ridiculous. I don't think you can go wrong with the A50.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1311 on: January 27, 2020, 10:04:27 AM »
Nice, will look into the A50 some more but it sounds it could be something for me.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: January 27, 2020, 10:22:21 AM »
I'm currently holding an a50 (one of my work phones). I don't use it much (mainly to tether my laptop for data) but I will say it doesn't feel like a mid range phone. It feels way more premium than one would expect.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1313 on: January 28, 2020, 07:12:33 AM »
Truth be told, I wouldn't mind moving to one of several of the mid-budget phones after my Note8 dies. But I've become so used to the S-pen that I cannot imagine a phone without it. I use it daily at work and at home so to me it's become an essential part of my daily phone usage and not just a gimmick.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1314 on: January 28, 2020, 07:36:42 AM »
I'd consider going to a more budget phone myself but I like having a top of the line camera on my phone.  However, I recently cancelled my personal verizon phone and just running off my work provided S9.  I was not a fan of having two phones on me all the time and I'm even less of a fan of paying bills so that's one less bill a month I am saving. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1315 on: January 28, 2020, 11:45:02 AM »
Truth be told, I wouldn't mind moving to one of several of the mid-budget phones after my Note8 dies. But I've become so used to the S-pen that I cannot imagine a phone without it. I use it daily at work and at home so to me it's become an essential part of my daily phone usage and not just a gimmick.

Do a search on the Note 10 Lite

It's a midrange phone that makes no sense (as there is an S10 lite as well that is placed higher than the note 10 lite spec wise) but has decent specs and the S-Pen

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1316 on: January 28, 2020, 08:42:24 PM »
I'd forgotten about the Note 10 Lite is definitely great and looks like it almost fits the bill, I'd lose Samsung Dex which I've become very used to as well. That's definitely something I'd consider though.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1317 on: January 28, 2020, 09:49:21 PM »
Then try to find a new or slightly used Note 9. I LOVE my N9

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1318 on: June 19, 2021, 09:29:39 AM »
So on a whim yesterday I headed to ATT to talk upgrades. I only owed a smidgen on my S10e, and was itching for something new. Turns out they had a deal in the works which involved a 700 credit on my phone, so I dumped that sucker and picked up a shiny new S21+ for basically the tax, and probably cut off 15 dollars from my monthly bill. :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1319 on: June 19, 2021, 09:48:05 AM »
Nice, I upgraded to a s21+ a few months ago and love it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1320 on: June 19, 2021, 11:17:33 AM »
Gotta dig into some tutorials on this camera, this thing is dope.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1321 on: June 19, 2021, 02:22:54 PM »
Nice! I'm still using my note 8 and it runs ok for now. Waiting to see what they announce for the new Note 21. The lines have pretty much blurred between the two models now with the s-pen being the only difference.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1322 on: June 19, 2021, 02:50:40 PM »
The guy told me yesterday that the s pen works on the ultra as well. Nothing I'm intrigued by, and it was a bit too big for my taste. The 21+ has just the right size, and the video quality is fucking amazing. I watched Nemophila's livestream this morning on it, and even that looked tight af.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1323 on: June 19, 2021, 02:56:02 PM »

The director mode is pretty cool, you can take a video that records both the main and selfie camera.  I also used it for my first concert in awhile to get some pretty solid footage.  And the wide lense is great (although I wasn't used to it for the concert and you can occassionally see my fingers in the way lol I need to get used to holding it for video).  The ultra phone is even better, but I didn't go that far.  Got mine on an Amazon sale so saved $250 off retail price. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1324 on: June 19, 2021, 04:52:05 PM »

The director mode is pretty cool, you can take a video that records both the main and selfie camera.  I also used it for my first concert in awhile to get some pretty solid footage.  And the wide lense is great (although I wasn't used to it for the concert and you can occassionally see my fingers in the way lol I need to get used to holding it for video).  The ultra phone is even better, but I didn't go that far.  Got mine on an Amazon sale so saved $250 off retail price.

I only got it cause of the fat trade in deal. I do hope it performs well for concert stills, I'd love to have better consistency in my show pics

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1325 on: June 19, 2021, 06:14:03 PM »
The cameras on those phones are insane right now. A friend has the Note 20 and the pictures just amaze me. The S21+ is probably a step above that.

Speaking of the Note, rumors indicate Samsung has unofficially put the Note line on hold which is a big bummer personally. I love the S-pen and use it daily and not just for writing or taking notes. When the time comes to upgrade guess I'll just have to grab one of the older ones.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1326 on: June 19, 2021, 07:11:11 PM »
I bet that's why the s21 ultra is pen compatible, and huge

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1327 on: June 20, 2021, 08:23:47 AM »
So on a whim yesterday I headed to ATT to talk upgrades. I only owed a smidgen on my S10e, and was itching for something new. Turns out they had a deal in the works which involved a 700 credit on my phone, so I dumped that sucker and picked up a shiny new S21+ for basically the tax, and probably cut off 15 dollars from my monthly bill. :metal

Nice :tup I got the s21+ a little bit ago and I love it. It's a fantastic phone.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1328 on: June 20, 2021, 09:59:33 AM »

Nice :tup I got the s21+ a little bit ago and I love it. It's a fantastic phone.

I watched a 20 minute 'tips and tricks' video on YT yesterday, goddamn this thing is loaded.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1329 on: August 17, 2022, 02:12:29 PM »
Wife is getting a Galaxy Z flip phone plus a watch too.  Her old phone if 4 years old.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC