Author Topic: The Official Android Thread  (Read 177758 times)

Offline faizoff

Re: The Official Android Thread
« Reply #1225 on: October 01, 2016, 09:19:08 PM »
No matter what browser I use on android it looks the same, I'm referring to that extra padding in each cell specially noticeable in the thread title. I have to pinch zoom in to read anything whereas on iOS I don't need to. I tried different scaling option and none of it helps.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1226 on: October 02, 2016, 08:39:44 AM »
Faizoff, I've used both Chrome and Firefox on my phone to access the forum and I've never had a problem.

Actually, my phone is the one place I don't use chrome for this exact reason. I use Dolphin browser instead and it looks just peachy.

Of course then Dolphin went and fucked up with a forced update a bit back that involved some language thingy you had to get. I protested and went to chrome lol

Why not the Firefox browser?

Firefox still did weird things with the text, where the font size would vary from line to line. Dolphin was the only one that didn't do it.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1227 on: October 02, 2016, 03:46:09 PM »
I haven't experienced that. Which Android phone do you have? Which OS does it have? It could be a number of things. I think I tried Dolphin once or twice. I use Orfox these days, more for security purposes and it's fast enough that I don't notice the difference.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1228 on: October 02, 2016, 09:13:10 PM »
I currently have the LG Stylo2 with lollipop, and just recently I had the G5

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1229 on: October 02, 2016, 10:30:31 PM »
Is everything updated to the most recent version?

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1230 on: October 04, 2016, 10:43:16 AM »
Google Pixel is looking pretty sweet. I've been a long time fan of Verizon's Droid line. I had the original Droid, the Droid Razor, and now the Droid Turbo. All three have made it a full two years without a case. It might be time to change it up though.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1231 on: October 04, 2016, 10:56:45 AM »
That does look nice.  The best part about the google phones is getting the new OS as soon as it's released and not having the bloatware most android phones come with.

On a personal note, I don't see myself going away from the Samsung Galaxy line.  I'm just way too obsessed with these phones to use something else unless it truly is a huge step ahead.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1232 on: October 04, 2016, 12:12:39 PM »
The silicon valley bit was great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZB2s3-Q15s
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1233 on: October 04, 2016, 12:15:01 PM »
The silicon valley bit was great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZB2s3-Q15s

I watched this earlier and really liked it, but didn't realize it was referencing the phone.  I didn't make that connection, now it's so much better.  I also absolutely love that show.

Offline adace

« Reply #1234 on: October 07, 2016, 03:10:35 AM »
Just downloaded the Allo app and it's great. The only thing is I'd like to hear what Google Assistant says instead of just reading it but I can't find the option for this. Does anyone know if this is possible or if it's planned for the final release?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1235 on: October 14, 2016, 12:28:25 AM »
Work in an AT&T store. I will be perfectly fine if I never see a damned Note 7 again. Our system makes returns/exchanges a pain in the ass.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1236 on: March 30, 2017, 01:00:11 AM »
Well this thread really died.

So at my job, being an Android fanboy, I'm the de facto "Android guy" when someone has a problem with an Android phone. When a customer brings one in for troubleshooting, everyone's response is automatically to turn their head around and see if I'm nearby.

Well apparently it's a legitimate thing now. They're making me what's called a Samsung SME, which stands for "subject matter expert." They're sending me to training in April and there's a good chance I'll get the S8 early for my work phone.

I am excite.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1237 on: March 30, 2017, 02:13:23 AM »
I forgot about this thread. I've always been an Android guy. As far as people's privacy concerns with Google syncing everything but the CPU heatsink (see what I did there), if you know what you're doing you can alleviate that, too.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1238 on: March 30, 2017, 06:22:47 AM »
Google Pixel is looking pretty sweet. I've been a long time fan of Verizon's Droid line. I had the original Droid, the Droid Razor, and now the Droid Turbo. All three have made it a full two years without a case. It might be time to change it up though.

I have been using the Nexus 6P since Oct. 2015. Definitely the best all around phone I've ever owned. I was excited to hopefully get the Pixel, but was disappointed with the price for the XL + max storage. With that all and the protection it ends up being like $900. I've been waiting for a price drop but it never came. So now I look forward to the Pixel 2. The three things that would make it a strong buy, even at a slightly higher base price would be water resistance/proofing, expandable storage, and stereo speakers. Rumor has it that the stereo jack is being removed in 2 however, and that's a strike against if true.

As someone who owned the Galaxy 2, 3, and 5, if I decide not to splurge on the Pixel 2 I may very well check out the Galaxy 8.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #1239 on: March 30, 2017, 06:42:19 AM »
I love my Pixel. Best phone I've ever used, and I love being off contract as well. Curious how the Pixel 2 will be. I've personally never been a fan of Samsungs, but again it's all about the preference.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1240 on: March 31, 2017, 09:00:48 AM »
The Galaxy S8 looks beautiful.  Im still paying off my S6 (even though I have an S7 which is paid off) but I can see myself upgrading to the S8 once my payments are done and then selling my S7 this summer. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1241 on: April 21, 2017, 02:37:02 PM »
Who got their Nougat update? I'm exploring it now and seeing what little hacks I can do with it. So far, I love it. Maybe I'll post some of them here. I love getting these updates. Last week there was an Ubuntu update, though it was rather tame. This week, Android.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1242 on: April 21, 2017, 08:10:24 PM »
I have a Nexus 6P and opted into the Beta program, so I'm getting close to Android O at this point :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1243 on: April 21, 2017, 10:34:46 PM »
I always wanted to check that out but I would just ignore it after a couple of weeks. Too much going on right now. I think I opted in for the beta for the Facebook app and never remember to actually pay attention to the glitches.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1244 on: April 22, 2017, 12:23:49 AM »
Nougat seems to have killed the fast charging on my Note 5. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1245 on: April 22, 2017, 07:57:06 AM »
Not necessarily saying this is happening in your case, but I'll make the comment that a lot of times people will blame the OS when it's actually some rogue apps that drain the battery. Successive Android releases have gotten better and better at not draining battery.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1246 on: April 22, 2017, 08:17:56 AM »
I'd reboot the phone, see what apps are using the most juice, and see if it's something that can be removed altogether or removed from automatically starting up.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1247 on: May 08, 2017, 07:54:17 PM »
I've tried all the obvious stuff and every other thing I can think of. I'm very careful and very knowledgeable when it comes to my phone. I troubleshoot/fix them for a living.

At this point it seems to be the cable itself.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #1248 on: May 18, 2017, 12:19:30 PM »
I like that when i get a new phone, there is almost no data that needs to be backed up/transfered.  The exception being SMS.  Can someone recommend a minimally invasive app for this that requires the least amount of permissions?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1249 on: May 19, 2017, 07:11:50 PM »
Samsung Smart Switch if it's a Samsung phone.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #1250 on: May 22, 2017, 08:50:29 AM »
No, it's a Motorola.  Their Migrate app has been discontinued for android 6.0.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1251 on: June 29, 2017, 05:37:47 PM »
So it seems there's some serious bullshit coming from my carrier Virgin Mobile, which will have pretty much every US based android user bailing from them. They have a new business model, I guess you'd call it, the "Inner Circle", and the selling point is that they're giving anyone who buys a new iPhone for Virgin a year's worth of cell service for $1. For the android users, they pretty much told us to fuck off. The android links are already scratched from the website, and they're telling us that we'll be covered through 2017, and after that, we'll probably be shipped over to their sister company Boost.

Needless to say, I'm bagging on them. I prefer prepaid, so after some research I'm looking at ATT, mainly cause of their coverage here, Sprint is a deadspot where I recently moved to. Now, to the fun part, I need to buy an unlocked phone cause the one downfall to ATT is their prepaid phones are lame.

I was playing with the Sony Experia XA1, and it has all the tech things I want, plus it's a pretty sexy phone with a sweet camera to boot. Anyone have previous experience with this phone?

Offline DougMasters

« Reply #1252 on: July 04, 2017, 11:00:25 AM »
am i the only one who sees the bezeless display craze and thinks "that looks great but so obnoxious" im glad samsung and xiaomi make the option but i am also happy that the htc 11 has a bit of a bezel.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #1253 on: August 02, 2017, 07:02:51 AM »
I use both the Google Authenticator app and the Symantec VIP app for two factor authentication on various sites.  Both apps have 6 digit codes that refresh every 30 seconds, however they are slightly different.

The google auth app recycles on a 30 second interval that is apparently synced with google's servers (i.e., when I launch the app, it is somewhere in the middle of one of those intervals).

However the symantec app starts a new code each time i launch the app, which lasts for 30 seconds.  I'm not coincidentally launching the app at the beginning of the cycle each time.  I don't know how the server can be synced with this code.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1254 on: August 03, 2017, 04:58:53 PM »
The latest rumour about the Pixel 2 is that it doesn't have a headphone jack. I really hope that's not the case, otherwise it's a no-go for me.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #1255 on: October 06, 2017, 11:52:31 AM »
Something isn't right with google music.  Today, I only used it for about 15 minutes this morning, and about 10 minutes just before taking this screenshot.  The constant battery usage in between tells me that it's running all the time even when not playing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1256 on: October 06, 2017, 12:01:38 PM »
So I made the mistake of watching the Made By Google event and went stupid all in.

Trading up from my Nexus 6P (still the best phone I've ever owned), to a Pixel 2 XL 128 just black.

And since it comes with a Google Home Mini, I decided to check Facebook marketplace and someone had a brand new, never opened Google Home listed for $90 (retail $130), and I offered $70 and surprisingly they took it, so I'll be picking that up tomorrow. So we'll have the home downstairs and the mini upstairs and can begin any smart home projects we would like.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jasc15

« Reply #1257 on: October 06, 2017, 12:10:48 PM »
Holy crap, is the Pixel 2 XL really $849?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1258 on: October 06, 2017, 12:50:36 PM »
I thought high end smart phones have been $800+ for years now.

Also re: headphone jack going away in the pixel 2, I was super annoyed at first. But since I got wireless headphones for travel, I actually don't remember the last time I used my 3.5mm. So maybe it's not as much of a deal breaker for me as I thought. Bluetooth audio quality still sucks for some reason, but if I want quality, I'm going to be listening to my flacs on my PC and not my phone.

Also on the rare occasion I do need to use an audio jack, I guess the adapter is good enough. Idk. I'm still really annoyed by their decision to get rid of it, even if I don't use mine at all. Hahaha

Offline jasc15

« Reply #1259 on: October 06, 2017, 12:53:02 PM »
I thought high end smart phones have been $800+ for years now.
Guess I'm ignorant of that.  I live in the world of the $99 Moto G.