Author Topic: The Official Android Thread  (Read 179132 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The Official Android Thread
« Reply #980 on: September 27, 2012, 08:04:52 AM »
That sucks.  Why even bother with it then?  Seems like the only reason you'd want to use it is to avoid using your minutes.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #981 on: September 27, 2012, 08:07:30 AM »
Yea it is really useful, my apartment is like a bunker for example, absolutely zero reception but since I have wifi in my home I just turn on my wifi tunneling and get all my texts and calls like normal.

Most carriers won't allow you to use it without using minutes. There might be something with google that you could hook up but I haven't looked into it.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #982 on: October 08, 2012, 10:52:46 AM »
So i've finally decided to cave and get a smartphone.  I bought a used HTC Inspire and will be setting it up with straight talk using an "AT&T" sim card.  I'm pretty sure it has Android 2.3.3 on it, which I'll keep, but my friend is already trying to get me to use cyanogenmod.  I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time screwing with it over the next few weeks.

Offline FlamTap

« Reply #983 on: November 05, 2012, 09:45:14 PM »
I have an HTC Incredible. Lately, at almost 2:00am to the second, it will restart itself over and over again. It scared the shit outta me to wake up from a dead sleep to that robotic "DROID" voice. I searched the web and there are many instances of the same thing happening but no real cure. I asked the tech guys at Verizon and said they never heard of such a thing. Weird. Other than that, I love my Droid.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #984 on: November 09, 2012, 10:21:49 AM »
I just ordered me a Droid Razr Maxx HD. It should be here in a few days.  :metal I'm pretty excited seeing as my DroidX is a solid 25 months old at this point.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #985 on: November 09, 2012, 10:35:24 AM »
Whats different between the Razr Maxx and the Razr Maxx HD? I have the Razr Maxx and while I very much like it, and the battery life, I don't think I'll be another Motorola phone.  I will go back to Samsung on my next phone.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #986 on: November 09, 2012, 10:52:31 AM »
Whats different between the Razr Maxx and the Razr Maxx HD? I have the Razr Maxx and while I very much like it, and the battery life, I don't think I'll be another Motorola phone.  I will go back to Samsung on my next phone.

More storage, larger screen, faster processor, longer battery life, etc..
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 11:10:21 AM by Chino »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #987 on: November 15, 2012, 08:04:04 AM »
Razr Maxx HD comes in today  :metal

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #988 on: November 16, 2012, 08:18:14 AM »
First post using my new phone. This thing feels a decade ahead of my DroidX. I can believe the power in my hand right now. 4GLTE is fast as fuck!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #989 on: November 16, 2012, 08:30:21 AM »
Wow, I even read the post faster!!!!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #990 on: November 16, 2012, 09:45:39 AM »
Just got a rokform case for my GS3, liking it so far, great to mount on my motorcycle when I need my phone as a gps.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #991 on: January 12, 2013, 01:40:48 AM »
So my galaxy tab 2 just updatednto Jellybean.... I just got used to ICS. Lol first world problems
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #992 on: January 12, 2013, 02:14:04 AM »
So my galaxy tab 2 just updatednto Jellybean.... I just got used to ICS. Lol first world problems

Mega bump, lol!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #993 on: January 12, 2013, 03:13:00 AM »
Hey, a very timely bump too. Made me check my Toshiba 10 for the update, and there it was waiting for me. Downloading now :caffeine:

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #994 on: January 12, 2013, 06:07:27 AM »
Hrmm I need to check if Jellybean is out for my S3

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #995 on: February 13, 2013, 02:46:27 PM »
I dropped my phone in the snow over the weekend and since then it concluded it was charging all the time, without the cable in it :lol
Well, I have insurance so they just sent me a replacement Galaxy Nexus. Of course it's a fresh reinstall, so I figured I'd unlock+root the phone and install Cyanogen Mod 10.1, which is Android 4.2.
Pretty sweet, because Verizon (I think) just stopped development on the phone. I very much doubt they will ever go up to 4.2.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #996 on: February 13, 2013, 02:55:26 PM »
I think that's one area where Apple has a significant advantage over Android.  Apple still has its share of fragmentation, but not nearly on the level as Android.  When an iPhone needs an update, it's done through Apple directly, whereas Android updates need to filter through the carriers first. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #997 on: February 13, 2013, 02:59:46 PM »
In this particular case it's definitely Verizon's fault though. When you release a "Nexus" phone as a carrier, you essentially commit to releasing the newest Android release whenever Google releases it. Worked marvelously with T-Mobile, but Verizon managed to do one update, and by now they're 4 Android releases behind.
Once my contract is over I will switch carriers, that's for sure.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #998 on: February 13, 2013, 03:07:10 PM »
I agree, I had an HTC Thunderbolt from Verizon, which was the first 4G phone on the network.  Support dropped rather quickly on that as well.  I have an iPhone 5 now, but I still prefer Verizon over the other networks.  In my area, it really is the fastest and most consistent.  A 19% company discount and grandfathered unlimited internet are two things I really don't want to lose.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #999 on: April 11, 2013, 02:15:55 PM »
:bump:

Looking for  cheap (no more than $100) Android tablet for my mother. It doesn't need to be fast.. all she does is check facebook and play various puzzle games...  I know almost any cheap tablet would do... I just don't want something that will completely shit out on her in a month.

any ideas?

The only criteria is it has to be at least 7inch... wifi (fuck 3g)... and be able to run GooglePlay... and preferably run 3.0 +
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jasc15

« Reply #1000 on: April 12, 2013, 12:30:08 PM »
I downloaded the Talkatone app in anticipation of a trip to Mexico.  I will attempt to send and recieve calls with my SIM card removed and see how well it works (assuming the hotel has wifi).  I tried it at home, and wasn't able to recieve calls, but I could send them.  We'll see how it goes.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1001 on: May 08, 2013, 08:47:56 PM »
I just ported my Verizon number over to Google Voice, which also means that I'm cancelling my contract with VZ. Good riddance, what a sucky provider they are.
My plan now is to get a T-Mobile data-only plan (no voice) for $40/mo, and then use the data connection to make calls with my Google Voice number. Should be interesting.
Regarding cost, of course I get hit with an early termination fee by VZ, but because I'm currently shelling out $100/mo to Verizon, I actually end up saving money because the new thing will be so cheap.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1002 on: May 09, 2013, 08:57:21 AM »
Let me know how that goes rumborak. Google voice has dropped service a few times while trying make a call or during calls.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1003 on: May 09, 2013, 09:11:20 AM »
Hmmm that sounds really interesting. Definitely let us know how it works. I have no problems with my Verizon service byat 78 a month... if it dropped to 40, that would be big savings.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #1004 on: May 09, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
What app will you be using for the data calling?  I've used free apps for that purpose (talkatone and GrooveIP), and the call quality was pretty shoddy.  I would imagine (or hope) the paid apps are better.

Also, I wasn't aware of data-only plans.  I suppose this is the same as what is used in tablets.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1005 on: May 09, 2013, 06:43:34 PM »
I've used GrooveIP (paid) over Wifi, and the voice quality and latency were pretty good, better than cellphone calls. So, that's at least my plan.
So, now I'm sitting here with my shiny HTC 1 (which is pretty awesome) and am waiting for Google Voice to finish porting. Exciting!

Offline jasc15

« Reply #1006 on: May 10, 2013, 08:40:24 AM »
Can you integrate that with the native dialer, or do you have to go through the grooveIP app for all calls?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1007 on: May 10, 2013, 08:46:06 AM »
It integrates with the native dialer, to the extent that once you hit the "call" button it asks you whether you want to use GrooveIP or the cellphone network.
BTW, configured it yesterday, and it works pretty awesome so far. I can receive calls to my regular number as if I was connected to a regular cell network. $40/mo, with a company discount of 15%.  :metal

Offline jasc15

« Reply #1008 on: May 10, 2013, 09:41:25 AM »
Not bad.  Is there a contract?  I use Straight Talk with mine.  Pretty good price for unlimited* everything.  I pay $46.20 a month with taxes, etc.

* I hear a lot about ST unlimited not really being limited, but I rarely exceed 1GB/month, and I havent had any nastygrams or throttling of service from them.  I suppose the real heavy users might actually push ST's capricious terms and limits, but it's been fine for me.  Their customer service is atrocious, however.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1009 on: May 11, 2013, 07:37:42 PM »
Wow, I even read the post faster!!!!
That's because he left a couple of letters out.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1010 on: June 08, 2013, 12:13:37 PM »
Skype apparently has been bought by Microsoft, with the effect that their Android app is in complete shambles. So, next experiment, Talkatone + Google Voice. Talked to my mom in Germany today, voice quality was pretty good and latency too.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: June 09, 2013, 03:59:18 PM »
Have you tried out Vibr? It worked pretty well for me the few times I've used it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1012 on: June 10, 2013, 08:08:11 AM »
I had Viber installed before I went for Talkatone. Problem with Viber is, you can't call landline or cellphone numbers, can you?

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1013 on: June 10, 2013, 05:52:42 PM »
Had a factory reset done on my phone today because the camera stopped working. It worked after that for a short while. I will take it back later this week for a replacement.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: June 11, 2013, 06:41:26 AM »
I had Viber installed before I went for Talkatone. Problem with Viber is, you can't call landline or cellphone numbers, can you?

Ohh that's right, I completely forgot, sorry about that.

Side note: I just got my galaxy s4!