Author Topic: The Official Android Thread  (Read 179112 times)

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
Re: The Official Android Thread
« Reply #945 on: March 15, 2012, 05:45:26 PM »
Is it anything I can help with? I have had my share of sd problems when using android phones, but in almost every case it was something I was doing wrong or a cheap sd card causing problems.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #946 on: March 15, 2012, 07:21:03 PM »
Do you have an sd card reader? It might mount that way and then you can either perform a repair or reformat.

I had two occasions where I deleted music from my sd card on my Droid X via Astro File Manager and it fragmented the card. Made the phone slow, unresponsive and almost unusable. The solution was to use a card reader to copy all the data to my computer, reformat the card and recopy all the data back. Worked like a charm twice.

Now, with my Nexus, there is no sd card, it's all internal memory. Read/write speeds are much faster.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Cable

« Reply #947 on: March 16, 2012, 06:23:41 AM »
Do you have an sd card reader? It might mount that way and then you can either perform a repair or reformat.

I had two occasions where I deleted music from my sd card on my Droid X via Astro File Manager and it fragmented the card. Made the phone slow, unresponsive and almost unusable. The solution was to use a card reader to copy all the data to my computer, reformat the card and recopy all the data back. Worked like a charm twice.

Now, with my Nexus, there is no sd card, it's all internal memory. Read/write speeds are much faster.

Nope, no SD card reader...although not exactly sure what one would be. I did see this mentioned as a help topic. I do use Astro to access it.

What happens exactly is when I plug the phone via USB into a PC, Windows says there is a problem with the device. On the phone, no longer does the selection pop up to chose the connection type, nor does the USB icon. On a Mac, nothing happens on the computer end.

I have tried two factory resets through settings, and another via the phone buttons. That gives me the icon at first, but no choice. And once I clear the notifications, the icon vanishes, and I'm back to square one with the problem.

The issue is beyond me, and really seems to be a fault with the phone hardware (and or jack). At least the thing charges, and I can remove the SD cards to use them with a USB reader, or use Bluetooth.

So that kind of rules out your theory too Nigerius. With two SD cards, one of which was formatted clean, the same problem occurred.

The other bitch of this is apparently PdaNet is no longer on the Market. I haven't looked hard, but no luck finding it yet. So right there, one of the things to keep me on Android is gone. I did use USB tether though, so cannot really use it now (bluetooth never seemed to work)

*it should be noted that PdaNet via USB tether was the last connection I did with a computer before this problem started*

Thanks though guys!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:30:09 AM by CableX 1814 »
---

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #948 on: March 16, 2012, 06:36:13 AM »
Search Pdanet.apk into Google and use that file to install it on your phone.

No idea about the sd card though as I've never had a problem with any HTC phones and my current one is all internal storage.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #949 on: March 31, 2012, 08:30:05 PM »
So I finally upgraded to a smart phone and got myself a Droid Razr Maxx.  This is my first Droid experience (I have an Ipod Touch so Im familiar with the Apple IOS, but never used a Droid).  So far so good, I read this is one of the best droids out there so Im excited to get it working to its full potential.  Any tips or apps that are noteworthy?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #950 on: April 01, 2012, 04:12:45 AM »
Browsing the app market is a lot easier on here:

https://play.google.com/store

And it downloads over-the-air to your phone.

Some of my favourite apps:

Swiftkey - keyboard that's way better than stock Android/iOS keyboard:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey&feature=search_result

GO Launcher EX - let's you customise the look of your phone:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gau.go.launcherex&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5nYXUuZ28ubGF1bmNoZXJleCJd

Handcent SMS - SMS application that lets you customise how it looks etc:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.handcent.nextsms&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5oYW5kY2VudC5uZXh0c21zIl0.

Tweetcaster - best Twitter app for Android (IMO) :

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.handmark.tweetcaster&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5oYW5kbWFyay50d2VldGNhc3RlciJd

Netflix:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netflix.mediaclient&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5uZXRmbGl4Lm1lZGlhY2xpZW50Il0.

Whatsapp - lets you chat to friends via data instead of SMS. It uses the contacts in your phone to find friends who also have the app. It is also multiplatform:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.whatsapp&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS53aGF0c2FwcCJd

Tiny Flashlight - lets you use your phone's flash LED(s) as a flashlight:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.devuni.flashlight&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5kZXZ1bmkuZmxhc2hsaWdodCJd

IMDB:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.imdb.mobile&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5pbWRiLm1vYmlsZSJd

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #951 on: April 02, 2012, 07:38:36 AM »
Thanks, the Go Launcher does make more sense for the home screen. 

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #952 on: April 02, 2012, 08:22:02 AM »
Thanks for the links. I'm checking out GO Launcher EX now.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #953 on: April 02, 2012, 08:26:31 AM »
Go Launcher is great. It fixed the only thing I didn't like about my phone - the ugly/annoying UI that Motorola had put on the homescreen.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #954 on: April 04, 2012, 05:16:01 PM »
Latest version of Swiftkey (isn't actually out yet) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKVYhv8MO9Y

THEY'RE FINALLY INCREASING THE SIZE OF THE SPACEBAR.

Also, holy shit - auto space correction :o

Edit: It's also going to provide a backup service so it remembers everything it's learned when you get a new phone or what ever

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #955 on: April 05, 2012, 02:24:04 AM »
Schweet!

Also today my Nexus S upgraded itself to Ice Cream Sandwich, finally! :D

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #956 on: April 05, 2012, 08:46:58 AM »
Schweet!

I hate Samsung sometimes, I didn't even get a Gingerbread update for my vibrant.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #957 on: April 05, 2012, 08:49:52 AM »
I haven't gotten a Gingerbread update for my Wildfire since I bought it a year ago. I guess it won't be released for them anyway.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #958 on: April 05, 2012, 08:55:31 AM »
I haven't gotten a Gingerbread update for my Wildfire since I bought it a year ago. I guess it won't be released for them anyway.
Cool,another Wildfire owner,thought I was the only one. Were you able to overcome the memory issues?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #959 on: April 05, 2012, 09:00:10 AM »
Schweet!

I hate Samsung sometimes, I didn't even get a Gingerbread update for my vibrant.
Nexus S is a Samsung. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #960 on: April 05, 2012, 09:03:42 AM »
Schweet!

I believe most of their updates are not over-the-air but done through the Kies (or whatever it's called) software they have.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: April 05, 2012, 09:55:11 AM »
Schweet!

Nexus S is a Samsung. :P

Yea I know that but google does the development for the nexus line where as with the Galaxy S phones that are shipped to cell providers (ATT, T-Mobile, Verizon) for the states, those updates are provided via Samsung.

Schweet!

I believe most of their updates are not over-the-air but done through the Kies (or whatever it's called) software they have.

Yes I know, Samsung still never updated there phones, they promise an update and then failed to deliver, froyo was late 6 or 7 months from the time I purchased my Galaxy S, then came the promises for gingerbread which never materialized, now you can only get gingerbread if you have a 4g Galaxy S. In fact by the time froyo was fianlly released gingerbread had been out for a few months.

It's why I'm so hesitant buying a Galaxy II, even though they are great phones Samsung's support is complete shit, so if I do get a GSII it'll be a nexus phone from canada (since Verzion is the only provider that sells the nexus in the states at the time and I'm a T-Mobile customer so I can't use a CDMA network phone) since it'll have ICS already on it and google always does a great job updating.

Sorry for my Samsung rant :(

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #962 on: April 05, 2012, 10:10:35 AM »
Well, Galaxy S II is definitely getting ICS.

I'd personally wait for the S III though which is rumoured to have some insanely good specs.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #963 on: April 05, 2012, 11:01:19 AM »
Cool,another Wildfire owner,thought I was the only one. Were you able to overcome the memory issues?

What memory issues are you talkin about Willis?

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #964 on: April 05, 2012, 05:17:21 PM »
Well, Galaxy S II is definitely getting ICS.

I'd personally wait for the S III though which is rumoured to have some insanely good specs.

I don't really think my current Galaxy can make it :( but I probably will wait until it finally start becoming inoperable.

Offline Cable

« Reply #965 on: April 22, 2012, 03:27:43 PM »
If you don't have it already, go download Music Volume EQ now!

It has made anything I listen to come alive, even through bad headphones or ones that are not EQ'ed to my liking.

Alhough it uses compression with the Virtualizer setting it seems, this is the first time I can EQ music without distortion. This application will make it hard to switch to iOS when this phone dies...it's that good!
---

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
« Reply #966 on: June 12, 2012, 11:37:09 PM »
Soooooooo I think I'm going to take a trip to tablet town. I get the feeling that certain tabs have enough power/features now for me to get something out of it (ie its not just a portable multimedia player). Naturally, I'm going down the Android route (have an S2, and I can't stand the lack-of-customisation in iOS).

My question is this: I have my eye on an ASUS Transformer Pad TF300TG, largely because a) its well priced, b) its 3G-enabled and c) I like the idea of having the keyboard and ports. Do ye, android watchers, think its a good buy?
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #967 on: June 12, 2012, 11:56:11 PM »
I finally ditched my HTC Wildfire yesterday and bought a Samsung Galaxy Xcover. Bigger screen, better resolution, feels like a slightly faster phone overall.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: June 13, 2012, 06:29:50 AM »
Soooooooo I think I'm going to take a trip to tablet town. I get the feeling that certain tabs have enough power/features now for me to get something out of it (ie its not just a portable multimedia player). Naturally, I'm going down the Android route (have an S2, and I can't stand the lack-of-customisation in iOS).

My question is this: I have my eye on an ASUS Transformer Pad TF300TG, largely because a) its well priced, b) its 3G-enabled and c) I like the idea of having the keyboard and ports. Do ye, android watchers, think its a good buy?

I fully support the Transformer, I have both a Transformer and an iPad and when it comes to work related stuff I always go with my transformer.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #969 on: June 13, 2012, 07:42:53 AM »
I finally ditched my HTC Wildfire yesterday and bought a Samsung Galaxy Xcover. Bigger screen, better resolution, feels like a slightly faster phone overall.

Funny, I ditched my Wildfire last week for an LG Optimus Elite, love the thing. You didn't seem to hate your Wildfire like I did mine though.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #970 on: June 13, 2012, 07:52:12 AM »
No I didn't actually hate it, I just wanted to upgrade it to one with bigger screen.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #971 on: June 13, 2012, 08:41:53 AM »
Couldn't stand mine, so little on board memory.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #972 on: June 14, 2012, 02:02:15 AM »
Posting from my galaxy tab 7.0 2. Not the biggest or fastest tab but I effing love it

Couldn't stand mine, so little on board memory.

I know right?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: June 28, 2012, 10:42:30 AM »
Cool, id like a tablet but it would really just be a toy for me and since my phone performs all the same functions just at a smaller screen, I can't justify the spending of even 200 bucks.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #975 on: September 25, 2012, 02:24:39 PM »
I'm knocking around upgrading to unlimited data, and I have a couple of questions.  Is there a web browser that doesn't suck?  I can't stand using the internet on my phone, due mostly to the screen size.  What do people use for streaming music?  Cost?  Anybody got any intel on how bandwidth intensive streaming music is?  Same as DL'ing an mp3?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #976 on: September 25, 2012, 03:06:58 PM »
I use Chrome. The shared bookmarks/history between my PC and phone is nice. For music, I use Spotify Premium. $10 a month, which lets me store my Spotify playlists on my phone (even the ones locally stored on my PC) so I can listen to everything I want without having to stream anything. BeyondPod for my podcast manager.

My GSIII has more or less completely replaced my iPod.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #977 on: September 26, 2012, 09:04:26 AM »
Thanks.

Anybody here have any experience with wifi-calling?  What's the lowdown on that?  I'm considering a pre-paid plan that only includes 100 minutes.  Shouldn't be a problem, but if half my calls are via wifi, it's definitely not an issue.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #978 on: September 26, 2012, 05:49:38 PM »
I use Play Music for the music streaming, I don't know how bandwidth intensive it is but it works very well on T-Mobile's HSPA+
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: September 26, 2012, 06:21:39 PM »
Thanks.

Anybody here have any experience with wifi-calling?  What's the lowdown on that?  I'm considering a pre-paid plan that only includes 100 minutes.  Shouldn't be a problem, but if half my calls are via wifi, it's definitely not an issue.

Watch out for the provider tho, for example I have T-Mobile and if I had minutes (I don't I'm on unlimited) I'd still get minutes used while wi-fi calling against my account so if I'm tunneling through the T-Mobile network (not using Skype, Viber, or Google Voice) then I get minutes counted from my T-Mobile account.

wi-fi tunneling is cool though, going to europe I can put in my tmobile sim car and call home from my local us number if I'm connected to a wi-fi network, also free texts as well.