Author Topic: The Official Android Thread  (Read 180903 times)

Offline tjanuranus

Re: The Official Android Thread
« Reply #805 on: November 02, 2011, 02:43:32 PM »
I'm not ignoring anything. Even my professor who has been writing Java since the beginning of java told the entire class this on my first day. And he isn't a fan of Apple at all. He was the leader of a software team for IBM for years. I'm sure i'll be writing java for a while, I don't have anything against it. It's a good language that is used in many different applications all over the world.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #806 on: November 03, 2011, 07:29:49 AM »
You hate Java because you know it's what I'm going to be doing for the rest of my life and you want to make me feel even more miserable about it than I already do.

Why do you do this to me?

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #807 on: November 03, 2011, 01:04:54 PM »
You hate Java because you know it's what I'm going to be doing for the rest of my life and you want to make me feel even more miserable about it than I already do.

Why do you do this to me?

Only cause I care.  ;)

Anyway, this debate is useless. Gotta go write some java code.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #808 on: November 12, 2011, 12:31:19 PM »
So... my Optimus S has been having charging issues... (as in it hasnt been charging)... after a some research I found out that it has been a common none physical problem. Found a patch on LG's website and am installing now. Praying that it works
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #809 on: November 12, 2011, 02:22:52 PM »
Newest Google Maps update constantly freezes my phone. Is there a way to roll back updates instead of just removing them all?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #810 on: November 12, 2011, 02:24:30 PM »
Hmmm, the only way I can think of is just to find the .apk file for the particular version of Google Maps you want.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #811 on: November 12, 2011, 08:42:54 PM »
Is there anyway to remove preinstalled apps on the Droid 3? I got mine from verizon and there is a ton of useless shit on it... NFL scoreboards, VZW music, maps, videos, etc etc. I don't need any of that shit and it's just taking up a ton of room on my phone.

(and yes, I tried the normal way to remove applications, but it won't let you)

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #812 on: November 13, 2011, 06:27:01 AM »
Rooting it.

I'm doing that to my phone today because Orange suck dick and taking forever to update it.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #813 on: November 13, 2011, 11:17:43 AM »
Anyone who has an android and doesnt have cyanogen mod on it is just stupid

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #814 on: November 13, 2011, 12:24:52 PM »
I've been waiting for the one on my phone to come out of Alpha.

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
« Reply #815 on: November 14, 2011, 07:43:40 PM »
Ice cream sandwich source code was released today.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #816 on: November 14, 2011, 07:44:58 PM »
Fuck I want to have Ice Cream Sandwich so badly on my phone (Galaxy S) but I won't see it it until I get a Galaxy Nexus probably :(

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #817 on: November 15, 2011, 06:06:58 AM »
Ice cream sandwich source code was released today.
Yup yup. Sony's Xperia range has been confirmed to get Ice Cream Sandwich at some point as well.

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #818 on: November 15, 2011, 07:36:26 AM »
Last week I got the HTC Inspire 4G. Loving it so far.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #819 on: November 21, 2011, 01:19:39 PM »
how much extra useful functionality do you actually again? I don't feel particularly limited by my stock rom...
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #820 on: November 21, 2011, 02:23:59 PM »
Thanks for calling me stupid.  :tup
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #821 on: November 21, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
Thanks for calling me stupid.  :tup

same

lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #822 on: November 21, 2011, 04:31:53 PM »
I don't even know what cyanogen mod is. Guess I'm an idiot.

By the way, when will Nexus S owners be able to upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich? :caffeine:

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #823 on: November 21, 2011, 05:56:15 PM »
All of the time.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #824 on: November 21, 2011, 06:03:04 PM »
I also don't have Cyanogen Mod on mine, guess I'm part of the idiots.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Cable

« Reply #825 on: November 21, 2011, 09:09:24 PM »
I also don't have Cyanogen Mod on mine, guess I'm part of the idiots.

Alright, I found out I am an idiot today!
---

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #826 on: November 21, 2011, 09:16:23 PM »
Droid X unfortunately doesn't accomodate a stable build for CM, due to locked bootloader.

I'm writing this from my nook tablet...sideloaded a bunch of apps already, and will root tomorrow.  Can't wait to put a real keyboard on this thing.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #827 on: November 21, 2011, 10:33:31 PM »
Personally, I think it's stupid to risk rolling the dice for more features that could potentially brick a very expensive phone.

Offline Cable

« Reply #828 on: November 22, 2011, 06:19:31 AM »
Personally, I think it's stupid to risk rolling the dice for more features that could potentially brick a very expensive phone.

That has always been my fear, whether it is real and possible or not. I do not believe in the phone carriers expensive insurance, and buying another phone would be what, $450?

That, and I really do not have the time to customize this phone, or spend more time fixing things should they go wrong.

I may consider rooting closer to the end of my phones life, but that is still 18 months away probably. I didn't root the HTC Hero because nothing could of helped that snail!
---

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #829 on: November 22, 2011, 04:56:26 PM »
I do not believe in the phone carriers expensive insurance, and buying
This part of the post I do not understand. I pay 8 bucks a month for insurance on two smartphones. If something were to happen to it, I'd rather pay a 150 dollar deductible (though I do think that is outrageous) than 600 dollars for a new phone.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #830 on: November 22, 2011, 05:33:52 PM »
Man, my Nexus One is one tough cookie. During my whole trip I've dropped it numerous times, it's gotten wet etc. etc., and it still holds up.
There is the temptation of getting a better phone when I get back to the US, but somehow I don't see what I would need better than the N1.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #831 on: November 22, 2011, 06:48:01 PM »
Ok officially on my 3rd Optimus S now...

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #832 on: November 22, 2011, 07:21:55 PM »
I bricked my galaxy S and managed to fix it a while back. Will never try rooting and flashing a rom ever again.

Offline Cable

« Reply #833 on: November 22, 2011, 09:33:17 PM »
This part of the post I do not understand. I pay 8 bucks a month for insurance on two smartphones. If something were to happen to it, I'd rather pay a 150 dollar deductible (though I do think that is outrageous) than 600 dollars for a new phone.

They are like any other product replacement plans, or insurance on a rental car. They offer piece of mind, and are good if something does go wrong. So far with the phones i have had, nothing has. If something did, I would bide my time on a phone I can obtain cheaply until my next upgrade.

But like a lot of insurance, it is there to make money. The high deductible is what keeps me away personally
---

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #834 on: November 22, 2011, 09:39:44 PM »

They are like any other product replacement plans, or insurance on a rental car. They offer piece of mind, and are good if something does go wrong. So far with the phones i have had, nothing has. If something did, I would bide my time on a phone I can obtain cheaply until my next upgrade.

But like a lot of insurance, it is there to make money. The high deductible is what keeps me away personally
Insurance was a life-saver when my phone was stolen a while back.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #835 on: November 24, 2011, 07:56:28 AM »
The official retail version of Gingerbread came out the other day so instead of waiting a few days for Orange to get off their lazy asses and release their version, I'm installing this one.

Really simple...it uses Motorola's own software to do it. It also means I get rid of all of Orange's bloatware :D

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #836 on: November 24, 2011, 09:44:23 AM »
Finished installing it earlier. YAY! IT WORKS!

I can use Swiftkey again AND OH MY GOD, IT LETS YOU TYPE SO FAST! So much better than the stock Android and iPhone keyboard.

You can try it for a month for free:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey.phone.trial&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLnRvdWNodHlwZS5zd2lmdGtleS5waG9uZS50cmlhbCJd

Offline Millais

« Reply #837 on: November 24, 2011, 09:57:15 AM »

I can use Swiftkey again AND OH MY GOD, IT LETS YOU TYPE SO FAST! So much better than the stock Android and iPhone keyboard.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey.phone.trial&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLnRvdWNodHlwZS5zd2lmdGtleS5waG9uZS50cmlhbCJd

+1

Swiftkey is absolutely awesome. You can type so much more faster and make a million mistakes and it doesn't matter. Tried it for a month and then made it my first purchase from the market! Some awesome stats:
Keystrokes Saved: 28,968
Efficiency: 42%
Typos Corrected: 2,801
Words Predicted: 58 (don't use this a lot because i'm typing so fast so i don't bother with all the predictive stuff)

themes are great too. you can customise how long it takes to hold down a certain letter, such as G, before it goes to a difference character. for me, about 180ms is about right ;)

definitely worth a try!

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: November 24, 2011, 11:12:28 AM »
So, the Galaxy Nexus got a really good review on Engaget:

https://www.engadget.com/2011/11/24/galaxy-nexus-hspa-review/

Offline Cable

« Reply #839 on: November 24, 2011, 11:55:52 AM »

+1

Swiftkey is absolutely awesome. You can type so much more faster and make a million mistakes and it doesn't matter. Tried it for a month and then made it my first purchase from the market! Some awesome stats:
Keystrokes Saved: 28,968
Efficiency: 42%
Typos Corrected: 2,801
Words Predicted: 58 (don't use this a lot because i'm typing so fast so i don't bother with all the predictive stuff)

themes are great too. you can customise how long it takes to hold down a certain letter, such as G, before it goes to a difference character. for me, about 180ms is about right ;)

definitely worth a try!

I downloaded SwiftKey when the Amazon Store had it for free. However, I prefer the HTC Sense keyboard... I cannot compare it to the stock Android keyboard. SwiftKey predicted too many wrong words for me.
---