Author Topic: The Official Android Thread  (Read 180878 times)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Android Thread
« Reply #770 on: October 13, 2011, 11:26:48 AM »
Where do you get swype?  It's not coming up in an android marketplace search.

should be installed already (it is on my SGSII).
To access it, find aplace where you can insert text. Hold down on the text box -> Input Method -> Swype.

Holy crap, you're right!

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #771 on: October 13, 2011, 11:32:20 AM »
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Cable

« Reply #772 on: October 13, 2011, 02:35:04 PM »
The very first Motorola Droid. :lol

dinosaur

So true.

But having a nearly two year old phone will make your eventual upgrade Jay8V that much better.
---

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #773 on: October 14, 2011, 09:36:55 AM »
OMG you guys android sucks so bad and Apple is so much better. Plus I HATE google as a company but you know... respect the ceo's and all.  ;)
Haven't really understood why the fact that iOS is good makes Android sucks. To me, Android is the better Mobile OS (iOS seems more fluid though). But both are good. End of discussion.

Unless you're trolling. In that case, carry on.

It's a joke from the Apple thread. Basically i'm doing what others do in the apple thread. i could give a shit what mobile OS people use personally. I use what I like and I'm happy with it.
Fair enough then :tup

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #774 on: October 14, 2011, 03:57:31 PM »
Basically

He butthurt.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #775 on: October 14, 2011, 06:43:54 PM »
The only issue I've ever had with my droid (same one as mike) is that the headphone jack doesn't always work when listening to music. It fucking sucks, but I've dealt with it.

Yup, mine does this too. It's become unbearable for me now, anytime you move it comes undone and usually pauses/stops whatever is playing.

My droid kind of fell apart... kinda sucks and I'm actually considering buying an apple product for the first time in my life  :lol

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
« Reply #776 on: October 17, 2011, 12:49:43 PM »
Found this on XDA forums last night:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.speaktoit.assistant

Its like Siri for the Iphone, but since its early stage development and seeking funding its a little unrefined. Seems really useful though since it can do things in an instant that normally take several menus to do. Voices are fully customizable with an application called Svox, and you can create your own avatar for your assistant.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #777 on: October 17, 2011, 02:58:10 PM »
I want my Ice Cream Sandwich.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #778 on: October 19, 2011, 04:00:28 PM »
So, Ice Cream Sandwich was announced...

You can unlock your phone with face. That's pretty much all I need to know:

https://www.engadget.com/2011/10/19/ice-cream-sandwich-face-unlock-demo-video/

Of course, there's Android Beam:

https://www.engadget.com/2011/10/18/google-announces-nfc-based-android-beam-for-sharing-between-phon/

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #779 on: October 19, 2011, 04:33:35 PM »
when i watched the demo vid for the galaxy prime I just stared at it and thought "I want that", even though I would never be willing to pay that much for a phone...
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #780 on: October 24, 2011, 11:59:30 AM »
Rather than clutter things up with another thread:

iPhone or Evo 4g?

Some considerations:

- I dont really care about the customization potential of android.  I dont care to spend time customizing the interface, so the rigid and homogenous (so I hear) iphone OS is perfectly fine
- I use gmail exclusively for email, and like the idea of having all my contact info centralized here and integrated with the phonebook
- As a pilot, I like that there are a lot of aviation apps optimized for iphone
- I dont really feel like creating and managing an itunes account.
- The Evo is huge
- With Sprint, simultaneous voice and data only works with 4g (correct me if I'm wrong), however 4g is spotty around where I live

So fire away

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #781 on: October 24, 2011, 12:48:21 PM »
Why does it have to be the Evo 4G?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #782 on: October 24, 2011, 12:56:21 PM »
Rather than clutter things up with another thread:

iPhone or Evo 4g?

Some considerations:

- I dont really care about the customization potential of android.  I dont care to spend time customizing the interface, so the rigid and homogenous (so I hear) iphone OS is perfectly fine
1 - I use gmail exclusively for email, and like the idea of having all my contact info centralized here and integrated with the phonebook
2 - As a pilot, I like that there are a lot of aviation apps optimized for iphone
- I dont really feel like creating and managing an itunes account.
- The Evo is huge
- With Sprint, simultaneous voice and data only works with 4g (correct me if I'm wrong), however 4g is spotty around where I live

So fire away

1. Androids are optimized for G-Mail use. When I get an e-mail, my phone notification goes off and I just hit one "button" on my phone to read my new e-mail.
2. There are plenty of apps for Android. I would be surprised if a few of them weren't for Aviation.

Also, I'm a heavy internet user. I like Flash. :lol

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #783 on: October 24, 2011, 12:59:54 PM »
Was "the Evo is huge" a pro or a con to you? I love mine, the big screen makes it much easier to do everything.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #784 on: October 24, 2011, 01:44:30 PM »
Why does it have to be the Evo 4G?
I guess it doesn't, but the others just seem to be watered down versions.  Also, it's $20 on amazon.

2. There are plenty of apps for Android. I would be surprised if a few of them weren't for Aviation.
There are, but I post on a pilot forum and the iphone apps are generally regarded as being much superior.

Was "the Evo is huge" a pro or a con to you? I love mine, the big screen makes it much easier to do everything.
A con, but not a major one.  I dont want to have to wear a tool belt, I always keep my phone in my pocket.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #785 on: October 24, 2011, 03:03:44 PM »
I've never heard anyone say that iPhone apps are superior. In fact, many of the "big ones" are the same.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #786 on: October 24, 2011, 04:25:22 PM »
A con, but not a major one.  I dont want to have to wear a tool belt, I always keep my phone in my pocket.

My Evo fits in my pocket just fine. It really isn't even thick enough that it's feels awkward at all. It is a little bit bigger than some phones, but the benefits of having a huge screen far outweigh the cons of it being a little bit bigger. Because I'm so used to the space I have a hard time using my mom's iPhone because everything on the screen is so compact.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline jasc15

« Reply #787 on: October 24, 2011, 04:56:19 PM »
I've never heard anyone say that iPhone apps are superior. In fact, many of the "big ones" are the same.
Some people report buggy interfaces with the hardware, like GPS, etc., as well as some apps being only available on one platform or another.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #788 on: October 24, 2011, 08:57:38 PM »
OK, fuck sprint.  I was all set to buy the EVO, and I get to the terms and conditions (that is after they ask for SS#, driver license # and run a credit check) and I see this:

If Sprint approves your application with a monthly Spending Limit, your new device will be automatically activated and shipped to you. Please note that this program carries an additional monthly fee of $4.99, which is waived if you contact Sprint and enroll in their monthly credit card billing program.

So the only way to avoid this fee is to set automatic bill pay.  I want to review my bill before they charge me, for which I must pay them an extra $5.  Scumbags

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #789 on: October 24, 2011, 09:02:45 PM »
I set my bill to pay automatically then then just pay it early so I can review it. :)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #790 on: October 27, 2011, 07:15:09 PM »
Does anyone have any music beta invites? i just got the Droid 3 and I WANT ME SOME CLOUDY MUSIC

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #791 on: October 27, 2011, 07:44:40 PM »
Does anyone have any music beta invites? i just got the Droid 3 and I WANT ME SOME CLOUDY MUSIC

What's your email?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #792 on: October 27, 2011, 07:49:02 PM »

What's your email?

Sent you a PM. :)

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #793 on: October 28, 2011, 04:46:56 PM »

It is true for a few reasons. One being the code that it's written in. Android is written java which is a slower running language than objective c because by its nature it's not optimized for one specific thing. So in generally ios will feel snappier and might perform better in some circumstances.

Also the design of ios apps is generally better. Part of it has to do with the fact that their are a million different screen sizes with android and there is ony one iPhone screen size. It's more consistent to design for and the graphics API's are fantastic in Xcode.

Also the app store makes a lot more money than the android store over all so iOS is more appealing to write for at the moment.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #794 on: October 28, 2011, 06:23:46 PM »
My counterargument:

C is for homos.

Seriously though, there's not a huge difference between the speed of Java and other languages these days. It's pretty negligible.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #795 on: October 28, 2011, 10:06:57 PM »
Ever used a Bly ray player? Perfect example of slow java! I know java more than any other language at the moment. So it's not like I'm making it up.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #796 on: October 28, 2011, 10:09:47 PM »
Oh God, another "everything's inferior to Apple" conversation.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #797 on: October 29, 2011, 12:01:35 AM »
Oh God, another "everything's inferior to Apple" conversation.

Hardly. You stated that you never heard about iOS having better apps. I was addressing the reasons why that is frequently stated. It's more like "Oh god someone said something positive about apple, must bash."

I don't say that about other products, for instance the new google tv. I think it's very cool. It was just announced today and it looks really awesome. In many ways it is superior to the current appleTv. In some ways it isn't but that's just one example showing you that i'm not like that.

Offline Cable

« Reply #798 on: October 29, 2011, 04:52:24 AM »

Also the app store makes a lot more money than the android store over all so iOS is more appealing to write for at the moment.

This is for a couple reasons, mostly obvious. The Apple App Store has more volume, so naturally makes more than the Android Market/Amazon App Store.

The other... Android applications are cheaper I think most of the time, or add supported vs. the ones in Apple's stores. For example, two games... Angry Birds is free on Android (w/ adds,) and for iOS is it paid. Game Dev Story was something like $10 I think in Apple's store; $2 on the Android Market.
---

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #799 on: October 29, 2011, 07:05:27 AM »
Ever used a Bly ray player? Perfect example of slow java! I know java more than any other language at the moment. So it's not like I'm making it up.
Yeah, I have but owning a PS3, I have no idea what you're talking about :P

Seriously though, it has to load in 50GB of data from an optical device and then crunch all of that data. Of course it's going to be slow compared to DVDs.

Also, maybe you should look at this article before you make any claims about Java's performance:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_performance

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #800 on: October 30, 2011, 11:58:17 AM »
WTF is a "bly ray player"?
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #801 on: November 02, 2011, 09:57:28 AM »
So my Droid is being a bitch.  The standard email client cannot "safely connect to the server" (email provider is Comcast).  Then I downloaded the K-9 email app.  Won't receive emails.  Says username or password are incorrect (they aren't incorrect).  The security type is set to SSL and the port is set correctly.  If I turn the security type to none, it lets my mail in just fine.  WTF??

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #802 on: November 02, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »

Seriously though, it has to load in 50GB of data from an optical device and then crunch all of that data. Of course it's going to be slow compared to DVDs.

Also, maybe you should look at this article before you make any claims about Java's performance:

I know all about that. It clearly states that java is slower on start up and uses more memory than other languages which will affect it's performance. I use a couple java applications and they are dreadfully slow compared to non java written apps. I can always tell when a program has been written in java. Like I said as of right now, I know java more than any other programming language. Trying to change that in the future.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #803 on: November 02, 2011, 01:42:49 PM »
WTF is a "bly ray player"?

It's one someone points out an obvious typo and acts like they don't know what it is just to be a dick.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #804 on: November 02, 2011, 02:31:20 PM »

I know all about that. It clearly states that java is slower on start up and uses more memory than other languages which will affect it's performance. I use a couple java applications and they are dreadfully slow compared to non java written apps. I can always tell when a program has been written in java. Like I said as of right now, I know java more than any other programming language. Trying to change that in the future.
It clearly states a lot of other things which you seem to be wilfully ignoring.