Author Topic: The Official Android Thread  (Read 180863 times)

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Android Thread
« Reply #665 on: June 24, 2011, 07:03:05 PM »
I wonder if they're finally jumping over to a capacitive touchscreen.  No mention of that on their website, but I can't imagine it running honeycomb and having the entire Android Market at its disposal while being hindered by a resistive screen.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #666 on: June 24, 2011, 08:33:04 PM »
i am in the club...got an incredible II and loving it

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #667 on: June 24, 2011, 08:50:27 PM »
Came across some news on the android tablet front this evening:

https://www.pocket-lint.com/news/40702/archos-dual-core-g9-tablets
archos G9 tabs, going to retail from $240. Going to have 1.5GHz dual core and come in a 10.1" and 8" variants both running honeycomb.
 I haven't "got" tablets yet, cos based on what I have seen they should be cheaper than netbooks. This could be the first one I fully "get", it is going to be full-featured yet cheap. I can see myself saving up for one of these!

Do want. I used my friend's tablet the other day and it was such an experience.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #668 on: June 26, 2011, 02:53:30 PM »
I wonder if they're finally jumping over to a capacitive touchscreen.  No mention of that on their website, but I can't imagine it running honeycomb and having the entire Android Market at its disposal while being hindered by a resistive screen.
https://www.androidtablets.net/forum/android-tablet-discussions/17722-new-archos-gen9-android-3-1-tablets.html
yes they are (watch the promo vid)
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
« Reply #669 on: June 26, 2011, 06:04:29 PM »
Bought an Aria two weeks ago, was able to root it recently thanks to some very recent updates at the XDA forum and got cyanogen and netflix. Fuck yeah.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #670 on: July 17, 2011, 11:52:51 AM »
So kinda bumping this thread. To lazy to read through all 20 pages but does anyone here have the Asus Eee pad Transformer? im looking around for a tablet. i really wanted to play around with morph wiz and like bebot but im to stubborn to get an ipad. so i figure id just grab and android tablet to kinda use around the house. (dont have a laptop)

im not looking at getting any plan with it, just use wireless.. anyone have one of these? or recommend me one? i like the bigger screens so the 10.1" is nice. Memory isnt an issue if it has SD slots.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #671 on: July 17, 2011, 02:46:05 PM »
Funny I saw this thread come up today, I was just messing around with a transformer earlier today. I loved it, and I certainly loved the price of it. It's a great alternative to the iPad and if you can do wireless tethering on your phone you shouldn't need a 3g enabled device.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #672 on: August 01, 2011, 05:09:09 PM »
Posting from my first ever smartphone, the G2x

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #673 on: August 01, 2011, 07:11:07 PM »
just upgraded to my new evo3d, it's fuckin sexy
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #674 on: August 03, 2011, 10:57:54 PM »
My friend (ex-blackberry user) just got an android phone. Are there any special features between people with android phones? Blackberry has bbm and stuff.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #675 on: August 04, 2011, 04:21:24 AM »
You could get Whatsapp which is the same thing but it's cross platform (works on iOS too).

Edit: Looks like Skype has just been updated so it supports video calling now. FINALLY!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 04:26:44 AM by AcidRainLTE »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #676 on: August 04, 2011, 02:34:16 PM »
You could get Whatsapp which is the same thing but it's cross platform (works on iOS too).

Edit: Looks like Skype has just been updated so it supports video calling now. FINALLY!

Yea go with Whatsapp, it's a great program. I have a lot of friends who are overseas who have blackberries and we communicate through whatsapp.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: August 15, 2011, 07:13:47 AM »
So, Google is acquiring Motorola's mobile division

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #678 on: August 15, 2011, 04:26:29 PM »

I'm still trying to figure out why they would pay a 60 percent premium for this unless they really want to control the use of Android. 12.5 billion is a lot of money! Who knows.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #679 on: August 15, 2011, 04:45:15 PM »
I love my android.  :heart

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #680 on: August 15, 2011, 05:20:11 PM »
I have a Xperia X8 since 3 months ago (Can't afford high-end smartphones) and it's amazing. I love Android.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #681 on: August 15, 2011, 06:21:26 PM »

I'm still trying to figure out why they would pay a 60 percent premium for this unless they really want to control the use of Android. 12.5 billion is a lot of money! Who knows.
Patent portfolio. Google's patent portfolio is nearly non-existent right now. This makes it easier for them to defend Android from people attempting to sue them.

Offline Cable

« Reply #682 on: August 15, 2011, 06:37:40 PM »
just upgraded to my new evo3d, it's fuckin sexy

Aye, I have been using the 3VO since June 22nd. Despite this being my second one (the first bricked,) I am glad I bided my time for the fastest phone on the market at the time it was released. I had a HTC Hero since the end of 2009, and it was basically too slow as soon as I got it. So the 3VO will have a more solid longevity.

Patent portfolio. Google's patent portfolio is nearly non-existent right now. This makes it easier for them to defend Android from people attempting to sue them.

That, and it will not hurt to have their own hardware maker in house. The Nexus line, should it stay named that, will no doubt be the premier model once Motorola makes it.
---

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #683 on: August 15, 2011, 06:40:54 PM »
Not only that, but Motorola already makes about a million different Android phones, and their Droid line helped put Android where it is. I see this as Google fortifying Android.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: August 15, 2011, 09:43:30 PM »
And what about Samsung, LG and the other guys? Is this a some kind of... betrayal?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #685 on: August 15, 2011, 09:51:29 PM »

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #686 on: August 15, 2011, 10:33:43 PM »
And what about Samsung, LG and the other guys? Is this a some kind of... betrayal?

I guess it depends on if they are going to go Motorola exclusive which is possible but probably not likely but what could happen is the MOTO phones get the best and most recent version of Android before others, etc... Who knows. MAybe other companies will adopt WP7. Microsoft could gain in this acquisition.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #687 on: August 16, 2011, 02:42:25 PM »
S and P just downgraded Google from Buy to Sell because of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjMxiHj3vPk&feature=player_embedded

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #688 on: August 16, 2011, 02:56:17 PM »
The best thing that could happen with this buy is the quick and painful death of MOTOBLUR.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #689 on: August 20, 2011, 03:44:28 PM »
I read this article and it makes sense out of the Moto deal which seems odd at first.

Is Google’s Motorola buy the only way to save Android?
By: Zach Epstein | Aug 16th, 2011 at 11:11AM View Comments Filed Under: Featured, Mobile

It’s only Tuesday, but the big news this week is already behind us: Google intends to shell out $12.5 billion to acquire Motorola Mobility and its portfolio of roughly 25,000 patents. The deal was covered far and wide, but some of the most interesting thoughts surrounding the news came late Monday night from Apple pundit John Gruber. The initial intent of Gruber’s piece was to point out the irony of reporter Dan Lyons’ repeated use of baseless speculation in an effort to discredit “Apple fanboy MG Siegler” of TechCrunch, but it evolved into an interesting commentary on the acquisition itself. Moreover, it brings a few interesting observations to light that went widely overlooked in yesterday’s coverage of the deal. BGR noted yesterday that it was curious Google chose to spend a fortune — nearly two times its 2010 profits, as Gruber points out — to acquire Motorola rather than licensing its patents. The answer might just be that Google, despite its size, was not in a position of power with this deal, and saving Android in the face of unending patent complaints became its top priority. Read on for more.

With Apple and Microsoft using patents as a weapon in an effort to slow competition from Android vendors and even block the sale of their products, Google had to act. The company’s odd public patent spat ended up being a prelude to something more — something much more: a massive $12.5 billion acquisition. Of course this purchase will give Google the ability to create an end-to-end Android experience across smartphones, tablets and Google TV boxes that represent its vision more precisely, but many experts agree that this was not the driving force behind the deal. Instead, it was Motorola’s massive patent portfolio, which will arm Google with the means to defend Android and its partners. With this in mind, it now makes sense that Google was willing to part with $12.5 billion to buy a struggling smartphone vendor that reported an operating loss of $85 million last quarter. It also might explain how Motorola Mobility managed to work out a sale rather than a licensing deal.

“I think Motorola knew they had Google by the balls,” Gruber wrote on Daring Fireball. “Google needed Motorola’s patent library to defend Android as a whole, Motorola knew it, and they made Google pay and pay handsomely.” He also notes that during the company’s negotiations with Google — which only took place over the past five weeks according to a report from GigaOm — CEO Sanjay Jha publicly spoke of Motorola’s interest in Microsoft’s Windows Phone platform, and even openly threatened to use Motorola’s IP to wage war on other Android vendors. In this context, Jha was asserting power and giving Google ultimatums. Gruber continued, ”I don’t think it’s curious at all why Google didn’t simply license Motorola’s patents. Motorola held out for a full acquisition at a premium far above the company’s actual value, and threatened to go after its sibling Android partners if Google didn’t acquiesce. Thus the public threats from Jha and Icahn. Thus the high price. Thus the lack of a simpler, cheaper licensing agreement. Thus the unusual $2.5 billion reverse breakup fee.”

In the end, Motorola may have just played an incredible game of chess with Google, a company that identified Motorola’s patent war chest as its best line of defense against Apple, Microsoft and even a patent battle that was brewing within the ranks of its Android partners. Motorola has been behind some of the most popular smartphones in Android’s short history, and yet it is still unable to turn a profit. Now that Samsung and HTC have emerged as clear leaders in the Android space, Motorola might have seen a potential acquisition as its best chance to create a return for investors. And so by denying Google the ability to license its patents and forcing Google’s hand, an acquisition of Motorola Mobility might have become the only way for Google to ultimately save Android from patent predators like Apple.

Tags: acquisition, Android, Apple, google, HTC, IP, microsoft, Motorola, patent portfolio, patents, Samsung
  Email This Post

https://www.bgr.com/2011/08/16/is-googles-motorola-buy-the-only-way-to-save-android/

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #690 on: September 06, 2011, 09:33:52 AM »
So I'm due for an upgrade and was considering upgrading to 4G.  Verizon offers the HTC Thunderbolt, the LG Revolution, and the Samsung Droid Charge.  From what I've read so far, doing much beyond normal phone calls will drain your battery pretty fast.  I play around on my phone a lot, browsing the web, looking at Twitter and Facebook, etc.  So I'm torn, really, as to whether or not 4G is worth it.  Anybody using a 4G phone?

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: September 06, 2011, 12:37:39 PM »
I have the HTC Thunderbolt, and I don't use it to make calls hardly at all, but I use the data services all the time.  As far as 4G, the speed is noticeable when I download files and apps.  It's SO much faster than 3G.  However, basic things like browsing or using internet-enabled apps don't use enough bandwidth to notice a substantial increase in speed.

Basically, medium to heavy use of the phone will AT LEAST require charging every night, though you'll probably burn through it faster.  I'm not familiar with the other two phones, but they'll probably have similar battery life. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #692 on: September 06, 2011, 04:57:21 PM »
So I'm due for an upgrade and was considering upgrading to 4G.  Verizon offers the HTC Thunderbolt, the LG Revolution, and the Samsung Droid Charge.  From what I've read so far, doing much beyond normal phone calls will drain your battery pretty fast.  I play around on my phone a lot, browsing the web, looking at Twitter and Facebook, etc.  So I'm torn, really, as to whether or not 4G is worth it.  Anybody using a 4G phone?

The best thing to do is just turn off the 4g when you're not using it then click it on when you need it to download a file or do some web browsing, easy as hell and it saves a bunch of battery life.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #693 on: September 10, 2011, 04:28:45 AM »
Netflix is available on all Android devices with 2.2 or 2.3.

I miss Netflix :(

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #694 on: September 10, 2011, 07:24:04 AM »

As in you can't use the app anymore? Didn't the Nexus One receive 2.2 and 2.3?

Also, goddamn it T-Mobile would you push the fucking 2.3 OTA for the MyTouch 4G already!!!

Offline Millais

« Reply #695 on: September 10, 2011, 07:50:05 AM »
bought my Samsung Galaxy Sii 5 weeks ago. loving it  :heart :heart :heart

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: September 10, 2011, 05:45:17 PM »

As in you can't use the app anymore? Didn't the Nexus One receive 2.2 and 2.3?

Also, goddamn it T-Mobile would you push the fucking 2.3 OTA for the MyTouch 4G already!!!
Nope, I got to use it when I was in America and when I've missed it ever since.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #697 on: September 10, 2011, 06:28:24 PM »
Ah! I keep forgetting that Netflix's streaming is limited to the US.

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
« Reply #698 on: September 27, 2011, 12:54:28 PM »
Somebody explain "multi-tasking"... should I not be able to listen to an audio stream in the browser and send/receive text messages at the same time?  My Evo can't.  When a text message comes in, the audio stops.  I have experienced this with listening to music, etc, using the WinAmp app...

So, can Android multi-task or not?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #699 on: September 27, 2011, 12:59:47 PM »
You mean the audio stops as in the text sounds comes in, the music stops and then continues or it completely stops?