Author Topic: The Official Android Thread  (Read 180876 times)

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Re: The Official Android Thread
« Reply #630 on: April 17, 2011, 11:24:35 AM »
Well, Reaper, the MyTouch 4G is totally awesome! Calls sound good (speakerphone is a little low even on the highest volume though), battery life is good as long as you don't have 100 apps running in the background, the touch screen is very responsive the display is vibrant and alive. I'm very happy with it right now, haven't tried the Qik facetime chat yet, but I will this week.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #631 on: April 19, 2011, 04:12:16 AM »
I guess I'm in the Android club now :P
I'm also getting the Atrix next month as an upgrade :caffeine:

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #632 on: April 19, 2011, 04:20:34 AM »
I guess I'm in the Android club now :P

I guess I am too!

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #633 on: April 19, 2011, 11:37:57 AM »
RAGE: I HATE DELETING MESSAGES FROM MY PHONE... it is the biggest pain in the ASS! ugh

that is ass

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: April 22, 2011, 10:18:09 PM »
My original Motorola Droid died today.  Most likely due to extensive rooting, ROMing and theming.  HTC Thunderbolt, here I come!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 06:30:17 PM by Fiery Winds »

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #635 on: April 23, 2011, 06:31:46 PM »
What a nightmare!  First of all, I'm 6 months away from my eligibility for early upgrade.  Then I realized on my account that I could transfer my early upgrade from my Xoom to the Droid.  Sweet! 

*Drives to Verizon Store*

Turns out that transferring the upgrade adds a two year contract on my Xoom, not my new phone, which is not something I want to do.  So I cancel my $20/month service on the Xoom (which I was planning to do soon anyways) and leave, feeling dejected at not being able to get my phone.

*Calls Verizon Support*

Explain my predicament, and after talking with the CSR and his supervisor, they give me the following options:

1.  Buy at Full Retail Price
2.  Buy a "Certified Pre-owned Phone"  (less than full retail, but not as low as upgrade, and only the Droid or Droid X)

*Call Verizon Support again*

Same as before, though this time I threaten to cancel my contract.  They say an Early Termination Fee of $220 would be charged.  I dispute the charge citing a clause in the Customer Agreement regarding an increase in Verizon Surcharges and the "material adverse effect" it has on me, not to mention I had not received written notice as the agreement says I should.  They say since I signed my contract at Best Buy, I would need to dispute that claim with them.

*Drives to Best Buy*

Mobile representative: "I don't know what they told you, but we can't do anything like that here.  We only upgrade and activate phones."  He calls his special Verizon number while I'm there and they say, "You need to call Verizon Support to handle claims like that."  I explain everything that's happened, and both of them reiterate everything again. Mobile representative suggests going to the Verizon Store across the street.

They say they can't do anything about the early upgrade or ETF.  They just don't have the authority to change it or waive it in store, and that I would need to call Verizon.  He also says that Best Buy has their own contract since they are a third party reseller, and that I should check with them before cancelling.

*Drives to Best Buy*

Mobile representative: "Yeah, Verizon doesn't know what they're talking about, we don't have a separate contract.  They just don't like us because we take their business by selling phones cheaper."  They produce a sample contract stating specifically that I'm agreeing to the Verizon Customer Agreement. 

Explain to them what Best Buy said, and ask to use their phone to call Verizon Customer Support with them there.  I explain everything including the threat to cancel based on the Customer Agreement they breached.  She asks what phone I want, I tell her the Thunderbolt.  End up on hold for 10-15 minutes while the CSR reviews the notes on my account and speaks with a supervisor.  Comes back and says "We'll be shipping you your Thunderbolt and you'll have it on Tuesday".  I verify it's the upgrade price, and there are no other activation fees or shipping charges. 

*Drives home*

I now have spent 5 hours bouncing around different places, but I finally get the phone I wanted at the price I wanted it.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #636 on: April 23, 2011, 07:50:44 PM »
congrats
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #637 on: April 24, 2011, 02:26:36 AM »
Customer service at its finest.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #638 on: April 24, 2011, 05:04:09 PM »
if you bought that phone this might be of interest to you then..

https://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-20046412-251.html

seems like a good tip.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #641 on: May 02, 2011, 03:42:57 AM »
I had a pretty big scare today with my Galaxy S Fascinate. I decided I was going to try rooting and installing a mod. Needless to see, I ended up with a soft brick and spent almost 8 hours trying different things to get it to work. I couldn't access recovery mode, which was a big problem. Anyway I couldn't sleep tonight so I got up and decided to try one more time before bringing it into the store tomorrow. I tried a fresh idea and it worked!

Moral of the story: even if you follow directions step by step without messing up, you still could end up with a brick.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: May 02, 2011, 07:09:09 AM »
I had a pretty big scare today with my Galaxy S Fascinate. I decided I was going to try rooting and installing a mod. Needless to see, I ended up with a soft brick and spent almost 8 hours trying different things to get it to work. I couldn't access recovery mode, which was a big problem. Anyway I couldn't sleep tonight so I got up and decided to try one more time before bringing it into the store tomorrow. I tried a fresh idea and it worked!

Moral of the story: even if you follow directions step by step without messing up, you still could end up with a brick.

What guide did you use?

The one touch rooting was pretty easy but installing mods can be tricky.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #644 on: May 02, 2011, 10:46:02 AM »

What guide did you use?

The one touch rooting was pretty easy but installing mods can be tricky.

I didn't use the 1 touch, I was using some command prompts and stuff, I'm not sure. The main thing is that after I rooted, I was using clockwork to install a rom (I wanted cyanogen, but it wasn't available, so I settled on Elements Zinc) and it went downhill from there. I think maybe it was voodoo kernel problems.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #645 on: May 10, 2011, 10:33:11 AM »
google music just went online, go get yours.

also, ass cream is now official, it will power everything; phones, tablets, pcs.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: May 10, 2011, 10:35:48 AM »
That's Android 3.1 announced and it's rolling out to Xoom users right now. Holy fuck, it supports Xbox 360 controllers (along with a "ridiculous" amount of other USB devices).

Movie rental service launched.

"Ice cream sandwich" announced for quarter 4 this year.

Info about Ice Cream Sandwich:

"One OS that runs everywhere." There you have it, folks! Google intends to meld its Honeycomb tablet wares and Gingerbread smartphone software into one delicious Ice Cream Sandwich. Maybe that's why the "sandwich" bit is in the name? Either way, it'll be a universal OS that runs on everything from teeny tiny Android phones to 10-inch tablets and will intelligently adapt to each form factor with things like a resizable status bar. Some other fancy new additions are being demonstrated right now, including face-tracking and camera focus shifting based on voice recognition.

"Google partners with OEMs and carriers to guarantee Android updates":

https://www.engadget.com/2011/05/10/google-partners-with-oems-and-carriers-to-guarantee-android-upda/

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #647 on: May 10, 2011, 11:17:24 AM »
sweet
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #648 on: May 10, 2011, 07:28:32 PM »
3.1 is ice cream? And it's already out on the Xoom?! DAMN!

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #649 on: May 10, 2011, 07:45:14 PM »
3.1 is not cream, 4.0 is cream; will be out in q4. sounds like they will have a dedicated android phone or tablet to launch it with; nexus 2 and nexus tablet simultaneously?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: May 11, 2011, 12:41:10 AM »
3.1 is probably just a few bug fixes and gives support for hardware acceleration on Flash (Adobe said that their latest version of Flash for Android supported hardware acceleration but it would only work with a new version of Android which was coming out very soon).

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #651 on: May 11, 2011, 11:04:22 AM »
So how does the Google Music invite work? You just download the app and Google lets you know?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: May 11, 2011, 11:09:37 AM »
No idea since it's only Ameruka that can get it.

Engadget posted a video all about it yesterday so there might be something there in it:

https://www.engadget.com/2011/05/11/google-music-beta-walkthrough-what-it-is-and-how-it-works-vide/

Also, second day the Google I/O conference today!

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #653 on: May 11, 2011, 11:12:53 AM »
I just checked the Google Music site and it's only for continental US. Bitches.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #654 on: May 11, 2011, 02:16:30 PM »
requested an invite.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: May 11, 2011, 03:48:29 PM »
Android Market may have a lot going for it, but most would surely agree that it could use some improvement when it comes to discovering apps that you aren't specifically looking for. Thankfully, it seems Google has indeed been aware of those concerns, and it's now announced five new features that should go so some way towards improving things. Those include some newly revamped top app charts that promise to be "fresher" and country specific, a brand new Editors' Choice section that highlights apps chosen by Google, a new Top Developers feature that places a special icon next to the name of developers that make the grade (currently more than 150), improved related apps on individual app pages and, last but not least, a new trending apps section that shows the apps growing fastest in terms of daily installs. What's more, while all of those features are currently exclusive to the web-based version, Google says they're also "coming soon" to the Android Market on both phones and tablets.

In other Android Market news, Google has also announced that it will be adding support for larger apps -- up to 4GB -- in June, and it will be giving developers the ability to exclude specific devices to avoid compatibility problems, or make multiple versions of an app available under a single Market listing, complete with aggregated ratings and stats. All that, plus personalized recommendations based on your apps (details on it are still a bit light), and paid app support for an additional 99 countries (coming within the next week or so).

https://www.engadget.com/2011/05/11/google-announces-five-new-ways-to-discover-apps-on-android-marke/

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #656 on: May 12, 2011, 01:32:10 PM »
Anybody here got an HTC Incredible, Nexus One, Evo 4G, G2 or a Samsung Nexus S and is a US Citizen?

Well, you can get the Netflix app now.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #657 on: June 05, 2011, 08:28:13 PM »
Why the crap has the original Droid already been abandoned as far as firmware updates go? The thing's a year and a half old, it can't be that outdated.

And looking at all the new phones I can't help but hate how almost none of them have a keyboard anymore.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: June 05, 2011, 09:05:39 PM »
Got a Evo 4G a couple weeks ago. Loving it thus far!
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #659 on: June 22, 2011, 09:16:55 AM »
I finally received my invitation to Google Music Beta!!! A momentous day, this is!

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #660 on: June 22, 2011, 09:24:32 AM »
Just bought a Nexus S !!!! Fucking awesome :metal
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #661 on: June 22, 2011, 09:53:36 AM »
Several friends of mine are planning on getting a Samsung Galaxy S at the moment because of an interesting campaign of one of our network providers.
That said, I'm still very content with my HTC Desire Z. I ordered a 32 GB microSD card yesterday and have a functioning app with a Japanese keyboard now. Happy panda here. :laugh:
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #662 on: June 22, 2011, 10:07:20 AM »
Several friends of mine are planning on getting a Samsung Galaxy S at the moment because of an interesting campaign of one of our network providers.
Do you have any idea when the Galaxy S 2 is coming out over there? Because maybe they should wait for that.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #663 on: June 22, 2011, 12:50:22 PM »
It's already out here, but it's too expensive for them so they go with its predecessor.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #664 on: June 24, 2011, 05:07:28 PM »
Came across some news on the android tablet front this evening:

https://www.pocket-lint.com/news/40702/archos-dual-core-g9-tablets
archos G9 tabs, going to retail from $240. Going to have 1.5GHz dual core and come in a 10.1" and 8" variants both running honeycomb.
 I haven't "got" tablets yet, cos based on what I have seen they should be cheaper than netbooks. This could be the first one I fully "get", it is going to be full-featured yet cheap. I can see myself saving up for one of these!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />