Author Topic: The Official Android Thread  (Read 180865 times)

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
Re: The Official Android Thread
« Reply #525 on: February 02, 2011, 12:44:15 PM »
market.android.com

no music yet, but this helps with online shopping/ota download.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #526 on: February 02, 2011, 01:13:08 PM »
So I've been playing around with voice commands, and I haven't been able to find any control for the built in music player.  If I tell it to play something, it'll try to stream it even though it's saved local.  Anybody know of a way to voice control the silly thing?  Since I use it to play music through my car stereo, I'd really like to be able to just tell it what to play. 

Honestly, the voice command functions seem to be fairly limited.  Aside from all sorts of Google related stuff, there's really only a couple of Android related things that'll work with it. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #527 on: February 02, 2011, 01:34:38 PM »
Developers have to integrate it into their apps, I think.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #528 on: February 02, 2011, 04:00:35 PM »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #529 on: February 02, 2011, 05:10:56 PM »
Finally got froyo on my vibrant, I thought it was never coming.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: February 02, 2011, 05:11:20 PM »
we're going to get a big update today, i think android will be releasing their new music player which allows you to stream your own music down to your phones making mp3 players void.

Any news or links on this?

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #531 on: February 02, 2011, 07:02:54 PM »
didn't happen today, they were speculating it would release. it is actually part of honeycomb and there are some news on it. i'll find something.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: February 03, 2011, 10:55:09 AM »

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #533 on: February 05, 2011, 07:30:27 AM »
So has anyone built an app yet?
I was thinking of having a go at making a DTF one, as I have become one of those people that has an app for almost everything as going through the web browser means you have to do a LOT of zooming!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #534 on: February 05, 2011, 07:49:50 AM »
I was thinking of having a go at making a DTF one, as I have become one of those people that has an app for almost everything as going through the web browser means you have to do a LOT of zooming!

I've played around with putting an app together then I found an app that did exactly what I wanted to do and more.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #535 on: February 05, 2011, 07:52:18 AM »

That would be terrific if you could make a specific DTF browsing app :tup

Still waiting for my Android phone to arrive, hopefully it will come in the beginning of next week.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #536 on: February 05, 2011, 07:56:30 AM »
I will look into it more another time, I just started and it looks like I will need to fiddle with stuff to get the emulator working, and the phone cable is elsewhere in my house!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #537 on: February 05, 2011, 08:12:58 AM »
we're going to get a big update today, i think android will be releasing their new music player which allows you to stream your own music down to your phones making mp3 players void.

Any news or links on this?

Audiogalaxy does this already.

Also, it's doesn't ender mp3 players useless, as streaming requires a 3G or WiFi connection...so it's useless on planes or in areas with less than optimal signal.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #538 on: February 05, 2011, 08:53:29 AM »

I've been working on Android apps for the whole last year essentially. Problem with your idea is, you would have to integrate directly with the SQL server behind the web server to get any benefit to browsing. I don't think bosky will be too hot on that :lol

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #539 on: February 05, 2011, 08:58:32 AM »
Ha no I don't think he would be too keen at all!
I did have a bit of a search and there are some pre-made forum browsing apps. I had a look at forumrunner but there was no DTF on the list.
If one of the mods was up for installing this:
https://www.forumrunner.net/?p=register
Then I would be most happy indeed.
<br />

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #540 on: February 05, 2011, 10:22:27 PM »
Tank Hero.... go download it.

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #541 on: February 05, 2011, 11:37:34 PM »
Browsing on dolphin mini now. Dolphin hd was being very slow, even though I'm using a desire which should be able to handle it just fine. Mini is actually really nice, they should make this their flagship browser.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: February 06, 2011, 06:20:05 AM »
Tank Hero.... go download it.
I downloaded it yesterday but I haven't played it yet.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: February 06, 2011, 08:21:36 AM »
I'll download it now and check it out.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #544 on: February 07, 2011, 05:11:57 PM »
https://www.engadget.com/2011/02/07/sprints-kyocera-echo-dual-screen-android-phone-announced-we-go/

Sprint promised us an "industry first" at its event today, and it certainly delivered: check out the Kyocera Echo, the first dual-screen Android phone. That's right, dual-screen -- that's two 3.5-inch 480 x 800 displays which can be unfolded and used as a single 4.7-inch 960 x 800 surface. The screens are connected by a slick sliding liquid-metal hinge that Kyocera's filed several patents on -- the phone can be closed and used like a regular single-screen phone, unfolded all the way, or propped up into the faux-laptop configuration shown above. Under the hood there's a 1GHz second-gen Snapdragon running Android 2.2 -- we'll forgive the older software because Kyocera had to do extensive customization to add dual-screen support to seven core apps like the browser, email, and messaging. The seven optimized apps can be run on each screen individually so you can have the browser up top and email below, and several of them include useful full-dual-screen views as well. There's also a new dual-screen app manager, which is brought up by tapping the two screens simultaneously. Unfortunately, third party apps can't be run in any of the new modes and just fill the entire display for now -- Kyocera and Sprint say an SDK is coming shortly.

Interestingly, the Echo doesn't really run the optimized apps simultaneously when you have two of them open -- it quickly switches them in and out of hibernation, even though they're both displayed on screen. That means you can't do things like watch a video while writing an email, for example -- it's an odd limitation, but it seems like it'll only be an issue in limited circumstances. As for battery life, Kyocera and Sprint aren't giving definite numbers, but we were told things would last about a day with heavy use of both screens -- and the Echo is being sold in a bundle with a second battery in an external charging case, so you should have plenty of juice on the go. Downsides? Well, it's not the most attractive phone we've ever seen, and we'd be remiss if we didn't point out that there's just a lone rear-facing 5 megapixel camera with 720p video capture and that the Echo is 3G-only -- there's no WiMAX, which is a bit odd for a Sprint halo device. Still, it's definitely one of the most intriguing Android handsets we've ever seen, and at $189 when it launches sometime in the coming months, it's bound to pique some serious interest. Check a short hands-on video after the break.

There's some more pictures and a video in the source link.

It's a pretty horrible looking phone but it's a cool idea.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #545 on: February 07, 2011, 05:44:43 PM »
I like the idea of parallel screens being able to be used as a larger tablet type screen.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #546 on: February 12, 2011, 10:39:42 PM »

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 11:01:46 PM by JayOctavarium »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #547 on: February 12, 2011, 11:12:22 PM »
omg lol at that picture.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #548 on: February 12, 2011, 11:14:50 PM »
https://www.engadget.com/2011/02/07/sprints-kyocera-echo-dual-screen-android-phone-announced-we-go/

Sprint promised us an "industry first" at its event today, and it certainly delivered: check out the Kyocera Echo, the first dual-screen Android phone. That's right, dual-screen -- that's two 3.5-inch 480 x 800 displays which can be unfolded and used as a single 4.7-inch 960 x 800 surface. The screens are connected by a slick sliding liquid-metal hinge that Kyocera's filed several patents on -- the phone can be closed and used like a regular single-screen phone, unfolded all the way, or propped up into the faux-laptop configuration shown above. Under the hood there's a 1GHz second-gen Snapdragon running Android 2.2 -- we'll forgive the older software because Kyocera had to do extensive customization to add dual-screen support to seven core apps like the browser, email, and messaging. The seven optimized apps can be run on each screen individually so you can have the browser up top and email below, and several of them include useful full-dual-screen views as well. There's also a new dual-screen app manager, which is brought up by tapping the two screens simultaneously. Unfortunately, third party apps can't be run in any of the new modes and just fill the entire display for now -- Kyocera and Sprint say an SDK is coming shortly.

Interestingly, the Echo doesn't really run the optimized apps simultaneously when you have two of them open -- it quickly switches them in and out of hibernation, even though they're both displayed on screen. That means you can't do things like watch a video while writing an email, for example -- it's an odd limitation, but it seems like it'll only be an issue in limited circumstances. As for battery life, Kyocera and Sprint aren't giving definite numbers, but we were told things would last about a day with heavy use of both screens -- and the Echo is being sold in a bundle with a second battery in an external charging case, so you should have plenty of juice on the go. Downsides? Well, it's not the most attractive phone we've ever seen, and we'd be remiss if we didn't point out that there's just a lone rear-facing 5 megapixel camera with 720p video capture and that the Echo is 3G-only -- there's no WiMAX, which is a bit odd for a Sprint halo device. Still, it's definitely one of the most intriguing Android handsets we've ever seen, and at $189 when it launches sometime in the coming months, it's bound to pique some serious interest. Check a short hands-on video after the break.

There's some more pictures and a video in the source link.

It's a pretty horrible looking phone but it's a cool idea.

omg is this 1992? who designs this shit?

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #549 on: February 15, 2011, 12:35:26 PM »
The biggest limitation of a smartphone is currently the screen size IMO, and that seems like a clever way of making a phone with double the screen size that can still fit in your pocket.
<br />

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #550 on: February 16, 2011, 08:45:39 AM »
I personally think that phone is going to suck. However, I think the idea is really promising. I wouldn't be surpirse if in 2-4 years that is the new standard.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #551 on: February 16, 2011, 08:48:54 AM »
Laptops are coming out with the dual touch screen set up so I'd be inclined to agree with you on that

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #552 on: February 16, 2011, 09:01:24 AM »
Laptops are coming out with the dual touch screen set up so I'd be inclined to agree with you on that

As in no keyboard at all? That's retarded. I can understand it on a phone, but on a laptop would just be a pain in the ass. A few years back I bought one of those laser projected keyboards, it was sweet and looked slick, but you have to look down the entire time you type, and my typing speed was cut in half.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #553 on: February 17, 2011, 08:48:23 AM »

As in no keyboard at all? That's retarded. I can understand it on a phone, but on a laptop would just be a pain in the ass. A few years back I bought one of those laser projected keyboards, it was sweet and looked slick, but you have to look down the entire time you type, and my typing speed was cut in half.

https://www.acer.com/iconia/

They look pretty cool, but yeh I'd always want a real keyboard over a touch screen.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: February 17, 2011, 09:29:56 AM »
I actually prefer using the touchscreen on my phone to my old blackberry keyboard. I don't have to press any buttons I just gently touch the keys so I type much faster.

I'm fine with the ipad touch interface.

A laptop though, I'd much rather have a keyboard. When typing on a larger area (as I would be with a dual keyboard) I need the feel of the keyboard if I'm going to use all my fingers to type as opposed to my thumbs on the phone.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: February 17, 2011, 03:34:24 PM »
For you American folk out there:

https://www.engadget.com/2011/02/17/playon-app-for-android-2-2-and-above-means-netflix-hulu-for-all/

There is another solution for Android owners disappointed that their phone or tablet may never support Netflix's official DRM specs, now that PlayOn has unleashed a version of its mobile app (already on iOS) for the platform. The free app uses Adobe Flash so it's limited to devices running Android 2.2. (Froyo) and above, but like Plex, coupled with a computer running the server software, it brings online video streams from almost any source including Watch Instantly, Hulu, ESPN3 and more over 3G or WiFi. Barring any kind of Roku-style bannination existing users should download the app and get going immediately, while new users can give the server a 14-day free trial before deciding whether or not to pay the $39.99 first year subscription fee

YouTube video in link.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #556 on: February 24, 2011, 04:45:20 PM »
Posting from my new Xoom!  :D

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #557 on: February 24, 2011, 04:46:26 PM »
Ohhh! What's it like?

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #558 on: February 24, 2011, 05:28:29 PM »
I like it.  It's a little rough around the edges and the screen gets fingerprints like nothing else, but it's a solid tablet.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #559 on: February 24, 2011, 05:32:43 PM »
Got a Hero200.