Author Topic: The Official Android Thread  (Read 178914 times)

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Android Thread
« Reply #455 on: December 11, 2010, 12:55:08 PM »
https://www.engadget.com/2010/12/11/android-market-update-streamlines-content-nukes-tabs-dismantle/

Android Market update streamlines content, nukes tabs, dismantles 24-hour return policy to appease devs

Updates have been coming fast and furious to Google's Android Market for a couple weeks now, but this is the biggest shift yet -- that rusty tab-based interface is out, replaced with a rotating carousel of downloadable content, and a single scrolling pane of info for each and every app. What's more, it seems that Mountain View has heard the cries of game companies in particular, as it's got a couple of very special changes largely targeted at them -- the size cap on individual apps has been upped to 50MB, and Android Market's famous 24-hour return policy is no more. You'll still have 15 minutes to decide whether you want a piece of software or prefer a refund, perhaps long enough to give it a basic test, but there's no longer enough time to finish a game in one sitting before slyly giving it a pass. There's also a number of behind-the-scenes changes that should help make sure you only see apps your device can actually run, based on screen size, pixel density and OpenGL support. Google's pushing the update to every Android 1.6-and-above device over the next couple of weeks, so you can expect your app purchasing world to turn upside-down in time for Christmas cheer.

Update: There are also two new categories being added: widgets and live wallpapers.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #456 on: December 11, 2010, 04:31:51 PM »
I rooted my DX a couple of days ago...and I have no idea why I waited so long.  Freezing the bloatware and killing the ads has greatly improved the experience of using it.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #457 on: December 11, 2010, 04:37:26 PM »
Gnah, I want Google to finally release Android 2.3 for the Nexus One!!!!

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #458 on: December 11, 2010, 10:08:58 PM »
FYI, .wmv files play for shit on the Droid.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #459 on: December 12, 2010, 02:19:19 PM »
Mobile carriers in the US, from what I've heard, are awful.

Sigz told me recently that you have to pay to receive phone calls etc. :S

What the fuck?

Surely then pay-as-you-go can't work?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #460 on: December 21, 2010, 11:47:26 AM »
https://phandroid.com/2010/12/20/swpe-beta-re-opened-for-registration/

Those of you who keep missing the open beta registration for Swype, it’s time to get the lead out! Head over to beta.swype.com and get registered. Silly me, I never registered until just now; but I’ve already got it up and running on my device.

I download it to my phone last night, this is great!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #461 on: December 22, 2010, 03:46:13 AM »
https://phandroid.com/2010/12/20/swpe-beta-re-opened-for-registration/

Those of you who keep missing the open beta registration for Swype, it’s time to get the lead out! Head over to beta.swype.com and get registered. Silly me, I never registered until just now; but I’ve already got it up and running on my device.

I download it to my phone last night, this is great!

Just installed. Just finished the tutorial now and I'm really impressed

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #462 on: December 22, 2010, 09:03:07 AM »
Sprint just updated my ROM and it includes a new gingerbread keyboard and swype, by the time I get gingerbread, i'm not going to recognize a change with all the added features in patches. Hopefully it's going to rock the power consumption though.

edit: read up on it, i apparently received an htc update for the random stuff, but apparently will be getting a sense update with goodies designed for gingerbread, so it sounds like we are waiting on the new pastries :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 10:57:44 AM by zerogravityfat »
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: January 06, 2011, 07:01:49 PM »
For the Americans:

https://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/hulu-plus-headed-to-android-no-promises-about-when/

Well, here's a bit of welcome news from Samsung's press conference, though it's got little to do with Samsung itself -- Hulu Plus has finally been confirmed for the Android platform. There's been some friction between Hulu and Google as of late, but it seems preferred partner Samsung is helping to work those differences out, as Hulu CEO Jason Kilar demoed the code-complete app running on this Galaxy S smartphone. He didn't provide a release date, though. Drat.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #464 on: January 07, 2011, 08:29:06 AM »
So does anybody have any idea what kind of bandwidth usage we're talking about?  Since I don't really have any interest in the online aspect of it, I don't feel too compelled to spend $30 a month on unlimited data.  Is Android always sending/receiving, or is it really only active when you're watching videos of girls playing with themselves?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #465 on: January 07, 2011, 03:50:14 PM »
So does anybody have any idea what kind of bandwidth usage we're talking about?  Since I don't really have any interest in the online aspect of it, I don't feel too compelled to spend $30 a month on unlimited data.  Is Android always sending/receiving, or is it really only active when you're watching videos of girls playing with themselves?

Well if you sync it up with your google accounts, maps, etc.; then it will be transferring pretty much all the time.  Many, many apps will use the connection as well.

I recommend getting the unlimited, and use a tethering program.  Cancel your hi-speed internet connection to save.  Thats what I did and I never regretted it.  Works amazingly (though downloads of large programs/movies/games takes much longer).  However streaming content and dynamic websites load the same.

Also, 4G is quickly coming to the market; lead by Verizon.  Expect it to become standard to Droids soon.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #466 on: January 07, 2011, 04:24:52 PM »
Well, I won't be syncing it to my google stuff (not even sure what that would be), and I'll definitely install maps offline as needed.  Really, the only online stuff I could envision is some football stuff during NFL season, and occasionally checking something online whilst out and about.  I can (and would prefer) do most of my online stuff from home.  I just don't want to wake up and find that it's used 100 meg of bandwidth doing stuff I didn't even know about.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: January 08, 2011, 01:17:45 PM »
https://www.engadget.com/2011/01/08/htc-evos-battery-deflects-a-bullet-earns-life-saver-badge-v/

We knew the HTC EVO 4G was a pretty super phone, but we didn't know it was an actual superhero. A nightclub valet in Atlanta was recently the victim of two disgruntled patrons' wrath, falling in the middle of a five-shot bullet volley, but luckily for him, he had his EVO in his chest pocket. While the phone's glass shattered on impact, its battery did not and absorbed much of the impact of the one bullet intent on ridding him from this mortal coil. The fortunate chap is still with us, uninjured but stupefied by the event, and he promises he'll never buy another brand's phone again. See the video report after the break.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU3TLIrqLRI&feature=player_embedded#!

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #468 on: January 08, 2011, 01:59:42 PM »
https://www.engadget.com/2011/01/08/htc-evos-battery-deflects-a-bullet-earns-life-saver-badge-v/

We knew the HTC EVO 4G was a pretty super phone, but we didn't know it was an actual superhero. A nightclub valet in Atlanta was recently the victim of two disgruntled patrons' wrath, falling in the middle of a five-shot bullet volley, but luckily for him, he had his EVO in his chest pocket. While the phone's glass shattered on impact, its battery did not and absorbed much of the impact of the one bullet intent on ridding him from this mortal coil. The fortunate chap is still with us, uninjured but stupefied by the event, and he promises he'll never buy another brand's phone again. See the video report after the break.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU3TLIrqLRI&feature=player_embedded#!
Fuckin' miracles
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #469 on: January 08, 2011, 04:07:53 PM »
well i'm glad i have an evo lol. on a related note, i had a bright spot on my screen when the screen was white, aka highest use of backlight and i guess it faulted, so i took it to sprint, they replaced my phone no questions asked. i had evo 0003 and they gave me a 0004, not sure if it makes any difference but the most up to date hardware.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #470 on: January 09, 2011, 02:59:43 AM »
well i'm glad i have an evo lol. on a related note, i had a bright spot on my screen when the screen was white, aka highest use of backlight and i guess it faulted, so i took it to sprint, they replaced my phone no questions asked. i had evo 0003 and they gave me a 0004, not sure if it makes any difference but the most up to date hardware.

yea sprint is pretty helpful.. just today I took my week old Optimus S in because I had no data connection (calls were fine, no interwebz though)... they tried reseting it, and when that didnt work, they just gave me a new Optimus :metal:

Editz: they didn't even check the name on the account...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #471 on: January 09, 2011, 10:22:20 AM »
So here's where I find myself.  My hitch with T-Mobile is up, and while I love their service, I have to consider all my options.  The two options are:  Great phone with expensive monthly payments or adequate phone with dirt cheap bills.  I can get a Galaxy S or MyTouch through T-Mobile, both of which appear to be great phones, but voice+data (which they'll make me get) will run $50-$80/month for 200mb or unlimited.  Or, I could get a Samsung Intercept through Virgin and only pay $25 for unlimited data.  The tradeoffs on the phone that matter to me are 3.2 vs 4" screen size, 3 vs 5 mp on the camera, slide out keyboards annoy me,  and Virgin's coverage is less than spectacular.

As I've pointed out, I don't see myself using much internet from my phone, but I suppose that could change if I have unlimited access.

Anybody have any insight into any of these considerations? 
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #472 on: January 11, 2011, 12:05:27 PM »
BTW, a guy called Steven Lin ported the Gingerbread keyboard to 2.2. Search for Steven Lin in the market, it's much better than the default keyboard.

rumborak

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #473 on: January 24, 2011, 03:00:42 PM »
Currently considering going android as I reckon I could save money.
Currently on £10/month sim only deal, but it costs me a bit more (~£2.50) due to texting my dad (who is in Aus), and going smartphone will mean I could email him instead. Talk mobile offer a Samsung Galaxy europa or HTC Wildfire with more texts, mins and data than I will use for £12/month. Anyone tried either of these/Talk Mobile?
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #474 on: January 24, 2011, 03:31:01 PM »
Got the 2.2.2 update today on my Nexus One. Nothing new though, just bug fixes.

rumborak

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #475 on: January 24, 2011, 08:34:24 PM »
Can anyone shed some light on verizon going to a GSM network?  I was in a store about a month ago, and the salesman said this was happening with the introduction of their 4G network.  Will Verizon phones have sim cards soon?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #476 on: January 24, 2011, 09:22:01 PM »
So apparently a new Sidekick is coming out, powered by Android.

I'm slightly interested, since I think the Sidekick's QWERTY keyboard there is on mobile phones and I enjoyed it when I had one, until that data crash that happened...
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #477 on: January 25, 2011, 01:09:01 PM »
android phone ordered. Such a day of contracts for me! Cancelled old phone contract, car insurance, booked car sale (@Harry: Ian really does buy any car) and had to convince a Sky salesperson I don't want it cos I genuinely don't watch TV!!!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #478 on: January 25, 2011, 02:05:51 PM »
Any of you seen that Motorola Atrix 4G?

Tegra 2 dual-core, 1 GB of RAM, the first qHD display, 1930 mAh battery, a docking accessory so the phone can double as a netbook. HOLY SHIT!!!!

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: January 25, 2011, 02:17:27 PM »
Yeah, it's DDR2 RAM as well.

There's a good video of it being shown off here:

https://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/motorola-atrix-4g-hd-multimedia-dock-and-laptop-dock-hands-on/

Absolutely insane!

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #480 on: January 26, 2011, 07:48:17 AM »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: January 26, 2011, 07:57:38 AM »
bleghh

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #482 on: January 26, 2011, 08:14:37 AM »
:neverusethis:

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #483 on: January 26, 2011, 08:16:34 AM »
hahaha good effort.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #484 on: January 26, 2011, 08:31:35 AM »
https://asciiqr.com/

Type the text you want to encode.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: January 26, 2011, 07:52:51 PM »
Ah, gotta love a rooted Android phone.  I'm currently sitting in my car in a parking lot surfing on my netbook that's wirelessly tethered to my phone.   :metal

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #486 on: January 27, 2011, 01:58:23 AM »
You needed to root your phone to do that? With the Desire, setting up a Wireless Hotspot comes as a standard option.
Really helped out when I was moving house and had no internet connection set up.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: January 27, 2011, 02:04:01 AM »
In the US on Verizon, you have to pay for mobile hotspot, but if you root, you can download an app from the market and do it for free.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #488 on: January 27, 2011, 06:24:10 AM »
Apart from that reason then, is rooting really worth it? I'm looking to root my Desire but haven't made my mind up yet.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #489 on: January 27, 2011, 07:45:24 AM »
Apart from that reason then, is rooting really worth it? I'm looking to root my Desire but haven't made my mind up yet.

AdFree (removes ads) and QuickReboot (does a "hot" reboot) are both very useful.  But the biggest thing is Titanium Backup...you can back up you phone (and individual apps and their data) and you can freeze unwanted apps...so I was able to nullify all of that bloatware that came on my X.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol