Author Topic: The Official Android Thread  (Read 177746 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: The Official Android Thread
« Reply #1190 on: December 08, 2015, 06:53:17 AM »
That's not completely unusual actually. Check your Google Sync settings. There is always something that appears to be harmless but could actually create this problem. All it takes is you logging in one time to create that link. Google is sneaky like that.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1191 on: December 08, 2015, 06:57:06 AM »
Really, Coz? Those are some of the best comedy sites on the intertubes.

It's one of those vices that people have that create problems in their lives, that they try to extricate themselves from.  For some, it's alcohol, for some, it's cocaine.  For some, it's that.

That's not completely unusual actually. Check your Google Sync settings. There is always something that appears to be harmless but could actually create this problem. All it takes is you logging in one time to create that link. Google is sneaky like that.

I thought I'd been pretty thorough about my sync settings, but I'm sure something just slipped by.  I am almost 100% positive that I haven't signed into Google on my computer lately, but it found some way.  Oh well, no biggie, I guess.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1192 on: December 08, 2015, 07:04:19 AM »

I thought I'd been pretty thorough about my sync settings, but I'm sure something just slipped by.  I am almost 100% positive that I haven't signed into Google on my computer lately, but it found some way.  Oh well, no biggie, I guess.

Log into your Google account on your computer and go through all of the settings to make sure.

https://www.ehow.com/how_8519870_unsync-google-android.html
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2390059?hl=en

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1193 on: December 08, 2015, 07:04:58 AM »
Excellent.  Thanks for the info.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1194 on: December 15, 2015, 06:14:53 AM »
The days of $600+ phones will soon be over.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/15-day-smartphone-battery-life-oukitel-says-its-android-k10000-just-keeps-on-keeping-on/

Need a phone with supreme battery life? Chinese smartphone maker Oukitel has released an Android handset with a 10,000mAh battery.

Oukitel, a Chinese smartphone company, promises to blitz the competition with a 10,000mAh battery said to last around 15 days on a single charge. And just in case the headline feature wasn't obvious, Oukitel has dubbed its device 'the K10000' after the battery's specs.

As noted by NDTV, the device is available for pre-order for $240, though the online retailer indicates deliveries are delayed and won't arrive until January 30.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1195 on: December 15, 2015, 06:33:37 AM »
The build quality could be complete shite though. I've never even heard of Oukitel.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1196 on: December 15, 2015, 06:37:36 AM »
It looks like the processor will be slow and use minimal power, and probably a dim cheap screen too. The battery life will probably be offset by how long it will take to do anything, plus the lack of ability to run much, and I doubt the build quality would be good. You get what you pay for.
And for how long will the battery manage 15 day runs before it turns to crap? That's the only thing it has going for it.

I have wondered why there haven't been a lot of attempts at a bare basics smartphone with ridiculous battery life though, so hopefully it can push the better manufacturers to find that niche.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1197 on: December 15, 2015, 06:45:16 AM »
It looks like the processor will be slow and use minimal power, and probably a dim cheap screen too. The battery life will probably be offset by how long it will take to do anything, plus the lack of ability to run much, and I doubt the build quality would be good. You get what you pay for.
And for how long will the battery manage 15 day runs before it turns to crap? That's the only thing it has going for it.

I have wondered why there haven't been a lot of attempts at a bare basics smartphone with ridiculous battery life though, so hopefully it can push the better manufacturers to find that niche.

I have to agree with this. The Chinese make lots of battery chargers that aren't built with the proper specs. They usually do a half-assed job of charging your phone and the charger itself craps out quickly. I would be extremely hesitant to put much hope into this, especially if the specs are inferior.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1198 on: December 15, 2015, 06:47:48 AM »
I'm not expecting this phone to be that good, but I think it's definitely a sign of things to come.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1199 on: December 15, 2015, 06:48:50 AM »

I have to agree with this. The Chinese make lots of battery chargers that aren't built with the proper specs. They usually do a half-assed job of charging your phone and the charger itself craps out quickly. I would be extremely hesitant to put much hope into this, especially if the specs are inferior.

They're also notorious for bypassing basic safety protection to cut costs on their rechargeable batteries.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1200 on: December 15, 2015, 06:52:43 AM »
I'm not expecting this phone to be that good, but I think it's definitely a sign of things to come.

We can hope someone will build off the mistakes of this device. I'm sure it's possible.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1201 on: December 15, 2015, 06:56:28 AM »

We can hope someone will build off the mistakes of this device. I'm sure it's possible.

I'm still holding out for modular cell phones. I know it's probably a pipe dream, but I'd love to see those come into fruition.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1202 on: December 15, 2015, 06:58:36 AM »

I'm still holding out for modular cell phones. I know it's probably a pipe dream, but I'd love to see those come into fruition.

https://www.projectara.com/

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1203 on: December 15, 2015, 11:02:33 AM »
I heard that Samsung's S7 will put back the replaceable battery.  Just heard that by word of mouth so no idea if its true, but if so that's a huge plus.

I love my S6 but the battery is easily the worst part.  I can't go a full day without charging.  Replaceable battery is the best option until there are batteries that can really last although I got a free USB backup charger which is good and compact, but that is just a band aid.

Online faizoff

« Reply #1204 on: December 15, 2015, 10:51:01 PM »
I got a Verizon Moto E 2nd Gen for $10 at Best Buy during the black Friday sale and is my first foray into the Android system. It came with Android 5.1 Lollipop and apparently isn't going to get Marshmallow from what I read. Sometimes I marvel at the time we live in where I can get a device that has so much technology in the palm of my hand that allows so many possibilities.

I'm almost made my mind up that I'll be switching to an Android phone once my iphone 6 plus dies.  What's holding me back is my new found love for the windows mobile platform, I managed to snag an unlocked Lumia 640 for $10 as well at Best Buy. Between the two alternate OSes there isn't a reason to take the WMP other that being a fan boy, as everyone knows the advantages of being part of a mature app system is plenty. However I love the aesthetics of the 640 and find myself constantly going back to it over the Moto E.

That said I think the android eco-system is extremely well built and vast and I like having several choices when buying a phone. I love the notification system and drawer compared to iOS. I just love having so many options compared to the very bland and safe iOS.  It's unfortunate I can't root this particular Moto E due to carrier restrictions, I'd have loved to experiment and customize even more from what the base system offers.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1205 on: December 17, 2015, 10:55:34 AM »
Just got a galaxy core prime, looking for an accurate weather app.  So many apps I have tried have the wrong conditions.  For example, the app says it's sunny when I look out the window and clearly see that it's not.  I'm not concerned with forecasts, mainly what the current weather is in different locations.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #1206 on: December 17, 2015, 12:31:38 PM »
I use the weather underground app.  The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't always update time or location.  Sometimes I will get home, and it shows my location somewhere between my departure and arrival locations, so I have to go into the app and refresh the location.  I don't know when it decides to actually pick up the current location, which it apparently does during my trip.  I guess this isn't exactly selling you on this app, but I still use it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1207 on: December 17, 2015, 02:08:06 PM »
I think that a lot of weather apps are like that, you need to change the settings to refresh automatically more often to avoid forcing a refresh (since you see something that is not right such as location).  Might be the same problem dparrott is seeing where it says it's sunny outside but its not, maybe you just need to refresh?

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1208 on: December 17, 2015, 04:27:51 PM »
Yea I tried that.  Last weekend, it was raining outside, weather underground just said it was cloudy.   Seems like these weather apps are more concerned with presentation than accuracy.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1209 on: December 22, 2015, 10:18:21 AM »
Hey...here's a thread that I started!

I recently got the LG G4. Really liking it so far...hoping it gets the Marshmallow update soon though. 

Offline adace

« Reply #1210 on: January 06, 2016, 03:55:39 AM »
2 questions I have:

Anyone use Google Cardboard and get motion sickness? I just ordered a super cheap kit from ebay and I'm excited to get it but at the same time nervous because I'm very prone to motion sickness.

Also, I'm interested in trying out Android Pay but my phone doesn't have built-in NFC. Would it be possible to do it with NFC tags?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1211 on: January 06, 2016, 05:41:08 AM »
My brother got google cardboard for christmas.  I only played with it for a few minutes and honestly do not understand the point of it.  It didn't seem to work so well with the youtube videos I tried, I mean it worked, I just wasn't impressed.  I couldn't see myself actually using this, but it's just the beginning of commercial products like this and it's a cheap product.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1212 on: January 06, 2016, 05:44:16 AM »
Hey...here's a thread that I started!

I recently got the LG G4. Really liking it so far...hoping it gets the Marshmallow update soon though.

I heard either January or February.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #1213 on: January 06, 2016, 07:02:08 AM »
Anyone use One Plus phones?  My wife is itching for a new phone and the one plus two seems like a good value*.  She is mostly concerned with the camera quality, which is pretty lacking on the Moto G we both have.  It's hard to gauge camera quality on phones, since pixel count is not an indicator.

*I remember it was $250 around black friday, but it's now $329.   :angry:

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1214 on: January 26, 2016, 03:03:27 PM »
Just getting started with Google Play Music, but hate the look of the app.  Anyone know of an app that can stream google music's library?  I tried BubbleUPnP, but it's slow and expensive.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1215 on: June 11, 2016, 08:54:59 AM »
So while on vacation my Samsung Galaxy S6's USB port broke. I freaked out since the next day I was going to drive 5 hours to the Grand Canyon.  Made it quickly to the Verizon store with 10% of my battery left. The guy sold me a wireless charger to last the week and that I could try to get a warranty replacement when I get gome. Anyway, the wireless charging is clutch and if you use the fast charge kit it comes with then it charges just as fast as any other method.

Well I had a couple other issues arise with my phone since getting back and apparently my warranty is not going to get me a new phone for these problems and I ended up just buying a S7.  I'm really loving this phone. Practically the same as the S6 but faster, nicer, and has the microSD slot again!

Also setting it up was a breeze, put my s6 and s7 back to back and they synced everything.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1216 on: June 11, 2016, 09:30:28 AM »
I upgraded from my old S4 to an S7 a few days ago, and I'm really satisfied with it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1217 on: June 11, 2016, 09:53:47 AM »
I still have the S6.  I'd love to try the S7 Edge.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1218 on: June 21, 2016, 07:58:40 PM »
Just wanted to pop in and say way to go google. I've been using the Nexus 6P since November, after previously using the S2, S3, HTC One, and S5.

While I liked those phones, and each had some nice features, nothing has been all around as great as the 6P. Great build, great camera, pure Android, and no major issues to report. I've never been so happy with a phone. And it's nice having updates and new OS as soon as it's actually out.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jasc15

« Reply #1219 on: June 22, 2016, 06:51:20 AM »
Just getting started with Google Play Music, but hate the look of the app.  Anyone know of an app that can stream google music's library?  I tried BubbleUPnP, but it's slow and expensive.
What don't you like about the look?  I never considered a third party app to stream google music, but it would be interesting to see some of them.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1220 on: June 23, 2016, 11:04:16 AM »
My S5 finally took a shit (battery port and headphone port down), and I didn't want to dump $600+ on the S7, so I went with the LG stylo2, very pleased so far, especially for $150.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1221 on: June 23, 2016, 02:34:16 PM »
Got tired of waiting for the Marshmallow OTA for my Note 5 so I manually installed the official build. Works great, and I love it.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online faizoff

« Reply #1222 on: October 01, 2016, 12:21:15 PM »

So not sure where to ask this but I'll post it here and the Apple thread. Anyone know why the forum looks so shitty on an Android Chrome? Not going to embed it link's here
https://i.imgur.com/mtXaTXH.png

I have two android devices and looks equally shitty on both. The screenshot above is from a ZTE Zmax 2 using Chrome on 5.1 lollipop and it looks the same on my LG 8.3" VK815 tablet marshmallow 6.0

Compare that to the chrome browser on iOS on my iPhone 6 plus, this is legible.
https://i.imgur.com/CgiHOke.jpg

Any thoughts? ideas? What do android users do for this forum?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1223 on: October 01, 2016, 03:31:50 PM »
Actually, my phone is the one place I don't use chrome for this exact reason. I use Dolphin browser instead and it looks just peachy.

Of course then Dolphin went and fucked up with a forced update a bit back that involved some language thingy you had to get. I protested and went to chrome lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1224 on: October 01, 2016, 06:46:02 PM »
Faizoff, I've used both Chrome and Firefox on my phone to access the forum and I've never had a problem.

Actually, my phone is the one place I don't use chrome for this exact reason. I use Dolphin browser instead and it looks just peachy.

Of course then Dolphin went and fucked up with a forced update a bit back that involved some language thingy you had to get. I protested and went to chrome lol

Why not the Firefox browser?