Author Topic: The Official Android Thread  (Read 177820 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: The Official Android Thread
« Reply #1120 on: April 22, 2015, 12:37:39 PM »
Except for the fact that one still looks like a shitty iPhone
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1121 on: April 22, 2015, 12:40:46 PM »
Except for the fact that one still looks like a shitty iPhone

Keep your apple fanboism out of the android thread!

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1122 on: April 22, 2015, 12:47:04 PM »
Wait... I'm saying the iPhone looks like shit.

I can look at a GS6 and an iPhone 6 and tell the difference.  :D
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1123 on: April 22, 2015, 12:58:01 PM »
Oh ok lol the way that was worded made me think you were calling the S6 a shitty looking iphone. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1124 on: April 22, 2015, 01:01:33 PM »
No.

The iphone 6 looks like a shitty iphone.

The GS6 looks like a piece of art.

Ok not really but I prefer it.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1125 on: April 22, 2015, 02:25:03 PM »
They look very similar to my eyes, but I have not held two right next to each other to get a good comparison.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1126 on: April 22, 2015, 02:28:29 PM »
I went from the Galaxy S5 to the I-Phone 4 (not sure which model) to the Galaxy S6 (ARE YOU HAPPY RUMBO?!) :lol

I find the Android set up much more user friendly myself.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1127 on: April 22, 2015, 03:20:41 PM »
I went from the Galaxy S5 to the I-Phone 4 (not sure which model) to the Galaxy S6 (ARE YOU HAPPY RUMBO?!) :lol

I find the Android set up much more user friendly myself.

Interesting, I always thought the one advantage the iphone had was it was more user friendly since its environment is so contained to the apple ecosystem.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1128 on: April 22, 2015, 03:23:01 PM »
I think it's a preference. I love my I-Pod but was not pleased with the I-Phone except for the music. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1129 on: April 22, 2015, 03:46:12 PM »
Yea personal preference, im similar to you, I love my ipad but hated my iphone.  I now have two galaxy S5s.  My job allowed me to upgrade my iphone 5 to either a galaxyy s5 or an iphone 6 so I went with the phone i love, the S5.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1130 on: April 22, 2015, 05:03:09 PM »
The battery life on yours is amazing.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1131 on: April 24, 2015, 03:51:57 PM »
Speaking of battery life, my iPhone 5 battery life is getting worse (purchased on release more than 2.5 years ago) so I'm looking at the S5 to upgrade. I still have unlimited data with Verizon, but supposedly I can have a phone shipped through Best Buy to my house and simply switch the SIM cards (with a nano to micro SIM adapter) and keep my existing plan!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:46:31 AM by Fiery Winds »

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1132 on: April 28, 2015, 09:47:01 AM »
I'm getting a bonus at work this Friday so I splurged and my new S6 Edge will be delivered today! :caffeine:

EDIT: Fixed small text, no idea how that happened...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 11:03:44 AM by Fiery Winds »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1133 on: April 28, 2015, 09:49:24 AM »
lol awesome, but why the small text?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1134 on: April 28, 2015, 09:51:55 AM »
I have my upgrade next week and I'm not sure what I'm going for yet.  Do I want to go with another Galaxy or do I want to change it up a bit this time?

Get the Droid Turbo. Mine is fantastic. My last two Droids were fantastic. I promise you won't be disappointed.

According to the website, it's only with Verizon.  I have Sprint still. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1135 on: April 29, 2015, 01:28:56 PM »
I have my upgrade next week and I'm not sure what I'm going for yet.  Do I want to go with another Galaxy or do I want to change it up a bit this time?

Get the Droid Turbo. Mine is fantastic. My last two Droids were fantastic. I promise you won't be disappointed.

According to the website, it's only with Verizon.  I have Sprint still.

That's a bummer.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1136 on: June 10, 2015, 11:39:12 AM »
Alright. Looks like I've hit that age where newfangled technology is confusing and frightening to me. Guess I'll be looking to the youngins to help me out from here on.

Just bought an S4 (it's what I could afford and it's replacing an S-nothin so it's still a solid upgrade). It's an unlocked AT&T phone, which I gather means it's got a fucked up bootloader meant to hamper things. Anyhoo, I want to update it to Lollipop and then get rid of all of the AT&T stuff as well as some of the Samsung stuff. I reckon this means update and then root, right? If I root it does that just get me better access which will allow me to uninstall crap, or will I have to load up a new rom or something? Wouldn't the latter negate updating to Lollipop?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #1137 on: July 07, 2015, 07:00:11 AM »
Android 5.1 update just became available for my Moto G (XT1045).  A friend reverted back to 4.4.4 on his Nexus 5 citing slower performance and higher battery consumption.  I'm going to take the wait and see approach here.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1138 on: July 07, 2015, 07:06:35 AM »
Android 5.1 update just became available for my Moto G (XT1045).  A friend reverted back to 4.4.4 on his Nexus 5 citing slower performance and higher battery consumption.  I'm going to take the wait and see approach here.

Downloading now on my Droid Turbo.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1139 on: July 09, 2015, 12:15:52 PM »

Downloading now on my Droid Turbo.

I've seen a few bugs already and have had to force reset my phone three times.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1140 on: July 11, 2015, 02:19:27 AM »
Alright. Looks like I've hit that age where newfangled technology is confusing and frightening to me. Guess I'll be looking to the youngins to help me out from here on.

Just bought an S4 (it's what I could afford and it's replacing an S-nothin so it's still a solid upgrade). It's an unlocked AT&T phone, which I gather means it's got a fucked up bootloader meant to hamper things. Anyhoo, I want to update it to Lollipop and then get rid of all of the AT&T stuff as well as some of the Samsung stuff. I reckon this means update and then root, right? If I root it does that just get me better access which will allow me to uninstall crap, or will I have to load up a new rom or something? Wouldn't the latter negate updating to Lollipop?
Once you've rooted there are various uninstallers you can download to get rid of bloatware. I have an app simply called "Uninstall" that will let me uninstall, well... anything. It lists all the apps on my phone and tells me how vital they are. Here's a screenshot.

As far as your bootloader goes, it shouldn't be too much of an issue - just more steps to work around. You can still flash Touchwiz based roms, but that does mean no CyanogenMod.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 02:24:35 AM by MetalJunkie »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline jasc15

« Reply #1141 on: July 16, 2015, 09:00:53 AM »

https://www.theverge.com/2015/7/16/8976519/marshall-london-android-smartphone

Although it wouldn't make sense since I never use my phone for music, I would buy this if it were reasonably priced.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1142 on: July 16, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
Why dont you use your phone for music?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1143 on: July 16, 2015, 09:53:50 AM »
Not a good price for those specs, even if the audio turns out to be better than the typical phone output. It does look nice though.

But yeah, I don't use my phone for music either. I have an iPod classic for that, and it does a much better job.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1144 on: July 16, 2015, 10:05:14 AM »
How does an Ipod classic do a better job than an Iphone? Im curious.  I never knew there were people against using a phone for music.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1145 on: July 16, 2015, 10:12:42 AM »
Yeah, in this day and age, the idea that a phone would do a bad job at playing music is pretty anachronistic. There've been several years of "arms race" in the phone market who can produce the best sound.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1146 on: July 16, 2015, 10:16:45 AM »
How does an Ipod classic do a better job than an Iphone? Im curious.  I never knew there were people against using a phone for music.

I think the sound sucks on all iPhones/iPods I've had or heard, but the iPhones didn't sound any worse than than the iPods for sound quality. The sound chips are probably the same or very similar. Get some decent earbuds/headphones to replace the stock ones, and it's all the same.

I think the Marshall smartphone will be extremely niche. I'm sure it sounds better than most smartphones, but the average person doesn't care for sound quality these days, enough to buy a specialized phone for it. People use their phones for music simply for convenience.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1147 on: July 16, 2015, 10:21:11 AM »
The phone itself will just be a stock phone with a different skin on it. Marshall creates headphones, not smartphones.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1148 on: July 16, 2015, 10:25:39 AM »
The phone itself will just be a stock phone with a different skin on it. Marshall creates headphones, not smartphones.

They won't be creating a bit of the hardware themselves, but it's possible that whoever is manufacturing it is using a better sound chip, as it does claim higher quality audio processing. For all I know a bunch of Android phones also have the same chip though. Don't know.
Meh, I'll stick to my PC for better audio quality than any portable device.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1149 on: July 16, 2015, 10:27:41 AM »
I use my S5 and have it loaded with 40GB of music.  I've never had sound quality issues.  Are there better ways to listen to music? sure if you aren't mobile, but I am not so sure of what hand held music player is better than the top smart phones (without doing any research, I had just never heard of this concept that a phone's audio isn't good).

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1150 on: July 16, 2015, 10:37:47 AM »
It's 95% about the headphones anyway.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #1151 on: July 16, 2015, 10:48:50 AM »
Why dont you use your phone for music?
Almost all my music listening was in the car, at which time I used an mp3 player, but I have not commuted by car in about 3 or 4 years, so I almost never listen to music these days anyway.

The specs are a bit sub par at that price point, however I think the cool factor makes up for a bit of it.  I might buy it at $200, but not at its asking price.  I don't care too much for specs anyway; as long as it handles my rather basic needs adequately.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1152 on: July 16, 2015, 10:58:55 AM »

I use Bose QC15 headphones.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1153 on: July 16, 2015, 12:47:53 PM »

Agreed. Until the headphone jack doesn't work anymore,like on my S5. Bluetooth headphones just don't have it man.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1154 on: July 16, 2015, 01:12:26 PM »

I use Bose QC15 headphones.

I used to have a pair of those. QC15's are the best over-ear heaphones for travelling. Their noise cancelling is so great, and they are very comfortable to wear. With mp3's and such, they'll more than get the job done.

However, if you're a hardcore audiophile who wants crazy fidelity from your music, QC15's just won't cut it. They are very bass heavy and the songs can get muddled. For listening at home on my computer, I use Sennheiser HD598's. They open headphones, so definitely not something to take on the road or use with other people around. But for private listening, they are excellent for what they cost. Much better high end and clearer sound than the QC15's, a bit cheaper to boot.