Author Topic: The Official Android Thread  (Read 178317 times)

Offline adace

Re: The Official Android Thread
« Reply #1085 on: February 28, 2015, 07:31:35 AM »
Hey guys, just got an SD card for my phone but apparently there's no way to set it as the default download location for apps. As it is, I'm unable to download any more apps since my internal storage has insufficient memory. Would appreciate some help.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1086 on: February 28, 2015, 07:39:04 AM »
It's been a while since I did this, so I've no idea if Google removed it from Android as part of their war against SD cards or not. However, you used to be able to move apps from internal memory to SD cards by going into settings and using the Application Manager. Not exactly what you asked, but you could manually move a bunch of apps to the card to make space for new ones.

Offline adace

« Reply #1087 on: February 28, 2015, 07:42:35 AM »
It's been a while since I did this, so I've no idea if Google removed it from Android as part of their war against SD cards or not. However, you used to be able to move apps from internal memory to SD cards by going into settings and using the Application Manager. Not exactly what you asked, but you could manually move a bunch of apps to the card to make space for new ones.
That's the thing though. I can't download the apps in the first place because there's not enough space. Is there any thing I can do besides just deleting a bunch of apps I already have?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1088 on: February 28, 2015, 01:13:29 PM »
The ability to specifically move an app onto SD card went away at some point I think. I used to do it in the 2.x days, but since 4.x on I haven't done so. And since 5.x the SD card has even been merged into the general "phone memory" as I understand it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline adace

« Reply #1089 on: February 28, 2015, 03:00:09 PM »
So you're saying that if I upgrade to Lollipop it shouldn't be a problem?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1090 on: February 28, 2015, 03:07:59 PM »
I just haven't had the problem in a looong time. It may be attributable to Lollipop automatically putting them there, yeah.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1091 on: February 28, 2015, 05:32:06 PM »
Holy crap I am loving this Note 4 more and more.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1092 on: March 01, 2015, 12:59:08 AM »

Better than the Galaxy phones?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1093 on: March 01, 2015, 01:00:27 AM »

Yeah. I mean, it basically is a galaxy phone, but bigger, with a stylus, and a 4K display. Probably some other features I haven't gotten around to yet.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1094 on: March 01, 2015, 01:05:36 AM »

Yeah. I mean, it basically is a galaxy phone, but bigger, with a stylus, and a 4K display. Probably some other features I haven't gotten around to yet.

Then that is something for me to consider when I get my upgrade.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1096 on: March 02, 2015, 05:48:57 AM »
April 10th

https://www.networkworld.com/article/2890794/android/samsung-hopes-better-looks-more-power-will-make-the-galaxy-s6-a-winner.html

However, this new level of luxury also comes with a few drawbacks: neither of the models are water resistant, have a microSD card slot or a user-replaceable battery.

Wow, that is extremely disappointing.  I hope they bring that back for the S7 when it is time for me to upgrade from my s5 because dropping the SD and batterys will make me consider a different phone.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1097 on: March 02, 2015, 06:56:25 AM »
I feel you on the SD card and removable battery. The Droid line lost those features this time around as well. They must wan't people streaming rather than storing.

Ugh. I don't know why so many people care how sexy or cool their phone looks. It's a communication/life capturing device, not a fashion accessory. They are the ugliest phones out there, but I'm now on my third Droid phone. The two prior to my current one both made it the full two years without a case. They fell in water, hit the ground dozens of time, and neither of them skipped a beat. The only reason I got rid of them was because their CPU didn't have enough snuff to keep up with newer apps. If I'm carrying around a $300 item in my pocket, I need it to take a beating. I would never trade durability for looks, at least not with a smartphone.

This was my girlfriend's third iPhone in 15 months. She dropped it while walking down our front steps. They're concrete steps, but still. What the actual fuck? I feel like I could confidently huck my phone at a wall and not worry about the screen breaking, let alone the entire body deforming.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 07:39:29 AM by Chino »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1098 on: March 02, 2015, 07:29:15 AM »
Wow, I can get the cracked screen but the damage to the actual phone itself is disturbing.  I've already destroyed two sceens on my S5 in the one year Ive had the phone, but with all the dropping and broken screens, never did damage to the actual base of the phone.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1099 on: March 02, 2015, 07:52:54 AM »
It might be time for me to consider a different phone.  I like the Galaxy phones but maybe I should take a look at a different Samsung model.

Offline adace

« Reply #1100 on: March 05, 2015, 12:53:34 AM »
So has anyone else played Monument Valley? It's such a gorgeous, incredibly well thought-out game. Seriously, the box level is one of the most creative video game levels I've ever seen.

Also been playing Color Zen. Such a neat, relaxing puzzle game. And the soundtrack is pure bliss.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #1101 on: March 05, 2015, 07:12:00 AM »
What weather apps do you people use?  My last phone was HTC so it had its own weather/clock widget, but now I have a Moto G and I am using Weather Underground.  Its pretty good, but sometimes doesn't update the location properly.  For example, I was taking the train from Virginia to New Jersey and it was picking up the various places I traveled through, but for several days after I got home it kept thinking I was in Philadelphia.  Other times, the notification tray icon doesn't match the widget, and it sometimes requires manual refresh.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #1102 on: March 05, 2015, 01:56:43 PM »
What weather apps do you people use?  My last phone was HTC so it had its own weather/clock widget, but now I have a Moto G and I am using Weather Underground.  Its pretty good, but sometimes doesn't update the location properly.  For example, I was taking the train from Virginia to New Jersey and it was picking up the various places I traveled through, but for several days after I got home it kept thinking I was in Philadelphia.  Other times, the notification tray icon doesn't match the widget, and it sometimes requires manual refresh.

I started using Weather Timeline. It's really nice. Can't comment on changing locations, though.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1103 on: March 05, 2015, 10:13:01 PM »
I used Accu-Weather for a while but I think I'm going to give Weather Underground a try.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1104 on: March 24, 2015, 11:01:24 AM »
Got another S4 finally. This time I have a life proof case on it. It's the one that like seals around your screen so you can still use your touch screen directly. I wonder how effective this really is...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jimbosile

« Reply #1105 on: March 24, 2015, 04:30:58 PM »
Got the HTC One M9 yesterday. My first android phone. Big fan so far.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1106 on: March 26, 2015, 06:46:18 AM »
I'm seriously considering changing my HTC One M7 for an M9. :lol
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1107 on: March 26, 2015, 08:08:52 AM »
I have my upgrade next week and I'm not sure what I'm going for yet.  Do I want to go with another Galaxy or do I want to change it up a bit this time? 

Offline Tiko

• Keyboardist for The Storyline
« Reply #1108 on: April 10, 2015, 03:12:14 PM »
I recently got a Sony Z3 compact. I really didn't want a DVD case sized phone which all the flagships seem to be... the Sony is small and still packs the same punch. And has arguably the best SQ for music (and flac playback) which is huge as I love music (and also do it for a living).

So far I love it!

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1109 on: April 10, 2015, 10:06:04 PM »
Got another S4 finally. This time I have a life proof case on it. It's the one that like seals around your screen so you can still use your touch screen directly. I wonder how effective this really is...
As someone who works in retail, I've heard quite a few complaints about sounding muffled to other callers.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1110 on: April 10, 2015, 10:07:24 PM »
It does. That is the only drawback to this case. I usually have my headset with me... and if not... whoever is talking with me can just deal with it.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1111 on: April 22, 2015, 09:04:48 AM »
I have my upgrade next week and I'm not sure what I'm going for yet.  Do I want to go with another Galaxy or do I want to change it up a bit this time?

Get the Droid Turbo. Mine is fantastic. My last two Droids were fantastic. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1112 on: April 22, 2015, 09:42:42 AM »

Get the Droid Turbo. Mine is fantastic. My last two Droids were fantastic. I promise you won't be disappointed.

I'll look into it.  I tried searching out other phones that could be better than the Galaxy 6S but it seems like nothing is really comparing to it.  I'll look into the Droid Turbo though.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1113 on: April 22, 2015, 10:19:58 AM »

I'll look into it.  I tried searching out other phones that could be better than the Galaxy 6S but it seems like nothing is really comparing to it.  I'll look into the Droid Turbo though.

I heard the new HTC droid is very good and comparable.  My co-worker just got the S6 Edge, I personally don't like it at all.  The curved screen kind of messes with my eyes.  The quality of the phone is superb though, I would think the normal S6 is really nice, but I really dislike they took away the SD card and removable battery.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1114 on: April 22, 2015, 10:32:50 AM »

I heard the new HTC droid is very good and comparable.  My co-worker just got the S6 Edge, I personally don't like it at all.  The curved screen kind of messes with my eyes.  The quality of the phone is superb though, I would think the normal S6 is really nice, but I really dislike they took away the SD card and removable battery.

I read that about the SD card and removable battery. I'm not sure if that's enough to sway me from it though.  I did want to do something different than a Galaxy phone this time so I'll look into Chino's recommendation and the HTC. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1115 on: April 22, 2015, 10:38:15 AM »
Just got my upgrade for work.  A Galaxy 6S.  I love it. The only downfall is that compared to the 5S, the battery life is not as good.  I could go almost 2 days without charging.  Now one.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1116 on: April 22, 2015, 10:51:35 AM »
King! :rollin

Galaxy S6.

iPhone 6S.

;D

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1117 on: April 22, 2015, 10:53:43 AM »
Just don't leave it in the bathroom....

*runs away*

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1118 on: April 22, 2015, 10:54:22 AM »
 :lol

Oops!  Dyslexic I guess.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1119 on: April 22, 2015, 12:37:01 PM »
King! :rollin

Galaxy S6.

iPhone 6S.

;D

lol it can be confusing, they even look similar now!