Author Topic: The Official Android Thread  (Read 178884 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: The Official Android Thread
« Reply #1050 on: October 15, 2014, 08:16:19 AM »
Looking forward to seeing the official name for Android L

Lemon Drop?

Lollipop?

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1051 on: October 15, 2014, 04:35:05 PM »
Wow, didn't expect the Android TV/gaming thing.
And yeah, Lollipop! I wonder how long it will take for my M7 to be updated.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #1052 on: October 16, 2014, 06:54:38 AM »
Motorola announced that its 1st and 2nd gen Moto G and and Moto X, Moto G LTE and Moto E are getting the update.  I have the Moto G w/ LTE, which has fantastic battery life, but I'm wondering if upgrading to 5.0 would end up using more resources and depleting my battery more quickly.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1053 on: October 16, 2014, 07:31:55 AM »
Exactly the opposite actually. For Lollipop they had a sub project called "Project Volta", which looked at reducing battery consumption wherever possible.
So, supposedly with the new update you will get more battery life, not less.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #1054 on: October 16, 2014, 07:34:49 AM »
I read something about that, but thought it might have been designed for the new hardware being shipped with 5.0.  I understand there is always some compromise when writing software for numerous platforms, and thought "project volta" might have been designed with new hardware in mind.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1055 on: October 16, 2014, 07:35:06 AM »
Exactly the opposite actually. For Lollipop they had a sub project called "Project Volta", which looked at reducing battery consumption wherever possible.
So, supposedly with the new update you will get more battery life, not less.

My Razr HD Maxx had amazing battery. It'd go two days with moderately heavy use before needing a charge. Ever since the last Android update, I need a charge after about 12 hours. The phone almost gets too hot to hold and the battery will tank even if I don't use it. Something is running in the background and I have no idea what.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1056 on: October 16, 2014, 08:40:05 AM »
Have you looked in Settings under Battery? Android actually tells you what consumes the most battery.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1057 on: October 16, 2014, 08:46:18 AM »
Have you looked in Settings under Battery? Android actually tells you what consumes the most battery.

Yeah. It just says Android OS 65%

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1058 on: October 16, 2014, 10:06:12 AM »
Oh, wow. There's definitely something off. For me the screen is the biggest offender, with Android itself just using 8%.

Offline jasc15

« Reply #1059 on: October 16, 2014, 11:05:23 AM »
I noticed a similar thing on a coworker's phone when he was complaining about poor battery life.  I showed him my battery utility, which displays what is using power, and his only showed Android OS at ~85%.  Mine is 6%.

Here is what mine looks like:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1060 on: October 29, 2014, 02:07:57 PM »
Just had a red Turbo put on hold for me tomorrow  :metal

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1061 on: October 29, 2014, 08:04:30 PM »
So anyone else have an S4 with the 4.4.4 update? My battery life started to decrease dramatically when I updated a few weeks ago. It's annoying.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1062 on: October 29, 2014, 09:07:21 PM »
What does your battery stats say?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1063 on: October 30, 2014, 03:48:51 AM »
So anyone else have an S4 with the 4.4.4 update? My battery life started to decrease dramatically when I updated a few weeks ago. It's annoying.

Mine did. I discovered that location services were now turned on under the settings even though my widget didn't reflect them being on (sneaky bastards). Facebook, Google, and a bunch of other things were tracking me full time. I manually turned that off and my battery life went back to normal.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 05:40:07 AM by Chino »

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1064 on: October 30, 2014, 01:58:00 PM »
What does your battery stats say?

Funny because it doesn't look like much is being used. My screen is usually set to half brightness and I haven't used my phone much this this morning. (ignore bluetooth being on. I accidentally it it as I was trying to remember how to screen cap. lol fat fingers...)

Mine did. I discovered that location services were now turned on under the settings even though my widget didn't reflect them being on (sneaky bastards). Facebook, Google, and a bunch of other things were tracking me full time. I manually turned that off and my battery life went back to normal.

I noticed that when it updated and turned it all off manually. I just turn it on once in a while now (Usually "powersaving") when I need to use my GPS.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1065 on: October 30, 2014, 02:02:11 PM »
Check what apps are currently running.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1066 on: November 11, 2014, 11:51:06 PM »
Lollipop for the Nexus 7 leaked, just installed it. Sweet!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1067 on: November 12, 2014, 06:01:06 AM »
Nice!

I'm loving this new Droid Turbo. This thing is a freaking monster.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1068 on: November 20, 2014, 08:00:01 AM »
Ooh, supposedly they will start pushing Lollipop for the HTC One (Google Play Edition) devices tomorrow!

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1069 on: November 20, 2014, 05:11:29 PM »
So....

Any of you have water damage experience? My phone (s4) was 8 feet down in the marina for like 40 minutes. It spend 24 hours in rice. When I put the battery in or plug it in w/out battery, the green "fully charged, please unplug" led light comes on. I am going to attempt to pull it apart and clean the boards and what not.

I've watch videos... so now I am a pro.

Ugh

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1070 on: December 22, 2014, 06:21:48 AM »
Alright, DTF. My dad is getting a cheapo Android tablet for Christmas, and I need to set it up for him before he gets it, because he's technologically retarded, but I've never owned an Android device. So far I've done a quick run through of the settings, and disabled a bunch of the preloaded apps.

Any quick tips? Things I need to know, good apps for browser, media player, maximizing battery, I don't know. It's only going to be used for basic stuff, but I want it set up simple enough for a technological toddler to use.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1071 on: December 22, 2014, 06:33:07 AM »
Alright, DTF. My dad is getting a cheapo Android tablet for Christmas, and I need to set it up for him before he gets it, because he's technologically retarded, but I've never owned an Android device. So far I've done a quick run through of the settings, and disabled a bunch of the preloaded apps.

Any quick tips? Things I need to know, good apps for browser, media player, maximizing battery, I don't know. It's only going to be used for basic stuff, but I want it set up simple enough for a technological toddler to use.

It probably comes with Chrome for a web browser. If not, I'd recommend throwing that on there. You might also want to make a bunch of organized folders for him. I'd try and organize some preloaded folders for him. For example, I have a Media folder with the apps for Youtube, Hulu, Netflix, Pandora, iHeartRadio, Amazon Music, etc. I have a News folder with the apps for Huffington Post, Fox News, CNN Money, CNN, etc. I have a utility folder with all my banking/bill stuff in it. Maybe you could preload a bunch of digital pictures and make him some galleries he can browse through.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1072 on: December 22, 2014, 06:38:23 AM »
It has a generic looking browser. I wasn't sure if the default Android browser was Chrome, but it's just called browser, in which case I'll add that manually.
I'll look into some folders, although I'm not sure if it would just confuse him. I'm not sure he'll have enough on there to warrant many (we don't have/use any of the paid services), but it might make it neater. I'll tinker with that.

I was going to stick some music and maybe a few episodes of TV shows on there for him, so something for that would be nice.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1073 on: December 22, 2014, 07:01:40 AM »
Folders probably aren't necessary if he isn't going to have a shit-ton of apps. Android devices have multiple desktops you can swipe between if he has enough to need more than one desktop (or he wants to add widgets). But I'm guessing that won't be necessary.

I'd say Chrome is required, much better than the barebones default browser (which IIRC is just Chrome stripped of a bunch of things). Then get him the apps for any popular sites he uses, such as Facebook and Youtube, as the apps are generally much better than using the browser to view them. Try and think of any websites he frequents and see if there's an app for it, or ask him.

There's probably a store app on there from the manufacturer, but make sure the Google Play store is on there and accessible if it isn't already. Google Play is the main Android store where all the good stuff is. It's not just for paid apps despite being a store, all the free stuff is on there too. If your dad wants to get apps or games himself, Google Play is where he goes to get them. Even if he doesn't, it's where you will want to go to get them for him. ;)

As far as music and movie players go, can't help you there. I've set up Android tablets for family members too, and they've all just used the default Android apps for those things even if I went and downloaded other apps. The default ones tend to be much simpler and lack a lot of the bells and whistles downloaded apps have - but the simplicity of the default apps makes them easier to use.

Edit: The battery indicator is kind of small, you might want to get a widget to put on the desktop that is more obvious. There's about a hundred or so of the things, just grab something that doesn't look like crap. :lol
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 07:08:28 AM by Bolsters »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1074 on: December 22, 2014, 07:08:04 AM »
Thanks, I knew most of that stuff. I'm just setting up a Google account now to get apps (don't want to use my own Google account on it, heaven knows what he'd manage to screw up for me :lol ).
It's already got Youtube and the streaming apps for all of the Aussie TV networks preloaded, which I'll leave on there. He doesn't use any social media stuff, just basic email. He also plays chess all the time, so I'll see which of those looks best for him.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1075 on: February 26, 2015, 12:30:17 PM »
Anyone have the LG G3? I have a Galaxy S4 now, but I'm thinking of switching over.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1076 on: February 26, 2015, 02:36:07 PM »
Got my lollipop update, enjoying the schemes a lot.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1077 on: February 26, 2015, 02:38:58 PM »
No experience with the LG G3 but I didn't just pick up the Note 4 and it's incredible. I love the new gorilla glass screen.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1078 on: February 26, 2015, 02:45:23 PM »
No experience with the LG G3 but I didn't just pick up the Note 4 and it's incredible. I love the new gorilla glass screen.
Well, the Note 4 is 300 bucks with a contract. The G3 is a dollar. They both have 4K displays and gorilla glass. Apparently the G3 has a phenomenal camera with its laser focus. I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to nab when I'm eligible in a few days.

I think I'm going to get the tempered glass protector. I just watched a video of a guy abusing the shit out of his phone. He cracked the protector with a hammer, dropped water on it, put a cigarette out on his phone's screen, among other things, and his screen was fine. Impressive stuff.

Offline Counselor of Prog

« Reply #1079 on: February 26, 2015, 06:59:08 PM »
Own a Samsung Galaxy S3.  Yeah, I know...it's a dinosaur.  Seriously contemplating getting an HTC when my contract expires in July.  Dual speakers FTW!
"The only closed systems in the universe are hardened hearts and darkened minds." Scott Becker, Valley of the Shadow

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1080 on: February 26, 2015, 09:56:38 PM »
So after getting my hands on the demos of both the G3 and Note 4, I decided to go with the Note 4. Love it.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1081 on: February 26, 2015, 10:24:10 PM »
I'm due for a free upgrade on April 1st. I have the Galaxy 4 right now, so I'm debating if I should go for the 5 or try something different.  I like to be able to mess with my phone and customize the fuck out of it so that is always a factor.  Of course, something that is easily rootable is another factor.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1082 on: February 27, 2015, 09:47:56 AM »
I'm due for a free upgrade on April 1st. I have the Galaxy 4 right now, so I'm debating if I should go for the 5 or try something different.  I like to be able to mess with my phone and customize the fuck out of it so that is always a factor.  Of course, something that is easily rootable is another factor.

Why dont you wait for the S6 which should be out soon?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1083 on: February 27, 2015, 10:48:33 PM »

How soon is soon?   ;D

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1084 on: February 27, 2015, 11:19:04 PM »

How soon is soon?   ;D
All we know right now is spring.