Author Topic: Have some forgotten what acting is?  (Read 1887 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Have some forgotten what acting is?
« on: March 29, 2023, 09:42:58 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/guy-pearce-apologizes-questioning-trans-145052389.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Can someone please point to me where Pearce said anything wrong?

It's like some have forgotten that the whole point of acting is to pretend to be someone and/or something you are not in real life.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Have some forgotten what acting is?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 09:48:34 AM »
It's like people are starting to think what they see on TV is reality, and that what is on TV should match reality.

Why not just make books be more like reality.

What is the point of writing Fiction anymore when you can't be creative and do some out of the ordinary, non-realistic story with characters that are not real.

I just think of this Simpsons scene.

https://youtu.be/yGsHq-mZI8U
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 10:02:00 AM »
He's right in his original tweet that if they follow that rule than only trans actors can only play trans roles.  That is so limiting and it goes against everything an actor/actress is.  people need to realize it's "Acting."

"Temporarily doing the duties of another person." 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online pg1067

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 10:03:53 AM »
This is all just crap to the nth degree.  I'll buy into it when someone expresses outrage that Denzel Washington, a black man, was cast to play Gray Grantham in The Pelican Brief when Grantham is expressly described in the book as a white man.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 10:05:06 AM »
This has come up before, and it's weird.  I don't see how he did or said anything wrong, especially after his clarifying follow up tweet (although I don't think it was necessary).

People conflate two different issues: who gets certain roles and LGBTQ+ actors getting hired for anything.  They aren't the same thing.  The answer for who should play a gay or trans character is "an actor".  At the same time, LGBTQ+ actors should be considered for any role for which they try out as much as anyone else, and if they are the right actor for the part, then great.  And if not, then oh well, try out for the next part.  Like every other actor who didn't get that part.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023, 10:08:36 AM »
Is it just me or was he advocating for trans actors?   WTF?  Don't let's pretend that there's any room for debate here.  If you can't even ADVOCATE without being cancelled (here, meaning, forced to apologize) the narrative is out of whack.

(This is something being discussed right now in the P/R section).

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2023, 11:02:27 AM »
I mean, Neil Patrick Harris and many other Gay men were playing the roles of Straight men for a long time.

What needs to be done is having writers write in more characters who are gay. That way, gay actors won't have to necessarily act, just like straight men don't have to act straight when playing their roles.

A great show I saw is with Neil Patrick Harris, it's a Rom-Com that means more to the comedic side. It represents the gay lifestyle in a comedic light, and it's hilarious.

Theres others i have seen that were really good story wise and weren't being forced the Group Mentality into the movie. Single All The Way, is a christmas show that deals with a gay man struggling to find a date to bring home for his Christmas family gathering (since they always ask), so he brings his friend and then that's where the heartfelt situation occurs.

I wish there were more LGBTQ+ movies in this vein rather than just shoving all of the Group Mentality ideology in our faces.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2023, 11:35:19 AM »
LGBT persons (and historically, persons of colour) have typically been overlooked when it comes to casting in favour of the more marketable options in the actor pool. The problem with Pearce's initial argument is it mischaracterises what is actually being advocated, which is not that Cis/straight actors are incapable of playing the these roles, or that actors should only act roles that match their life experience, but instead that actors/casting agencies should choose to allow people from these subgroups the opportunity (which they have historically lacked) to tell their own stories. His later reply was a much more nuanced take on the subject.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2023, 11:43:03 AM »
I mean, Neil Patrick Harris and many other Gay men were playing the roles of Straight men for a long time.

What needs to be done is having writers write in more characters who are gay. That way, gay actors won't have to necessarily act, just like straight men don't have to act straight when playing their roles.

A great show I saw is with Neil Patrick Harris, it's a Rom-Com that means more to the comedic side. It represents the gay lifestyle in a comedic light, and it's hilarious.

Theres others i have seen that were really good story wise and weren't being forced the Group Mentality into the movie. Single All The Way, is a christmas show that deals with a gay man struggling to find a date to bring home for his Christmas family gathering (since they always ask), so he brings his friend and then that's where the heartfelt situation occurs.

I wish there were more LGBTQ+ movies in this vein rather than just shoving all of the Group Mentality ideology in our faces.

This is correct. I just googled trans actors who have played cis characters and couldn't find anything, while you can easily find a lengthy list of cis actors who have played trans characters. The most I can think (off the top of my head) is Elliot Page playing a female character after coming out as trans in Umbrella Academy who then turns out to be trans in the end.

So if we had a lot of examples of trans people playing non-trans roles, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Instead you have trans characters played by non-trans actors, and trans-actors either only being cast as trans characters or not being cast at all. So the idea of letting trans people play trans characters isn't an end goal, it's to help give them work in general.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 12:12:24 PM »
Maybe the question should be are there trans actors who want to play straight roles?  I think that we are just on the precipice of trans feeling comfortable coming out publicly.   Maybe they feel better in their new freedom of who they feel or want to be.

Maybe it's looked as a step back to them to play what they left behind.  I don't know.  Just spit balling here.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2023, 12:33:04 PM »

This is correct. I just googled trans actors who have played cis characters and couldn't find anything, while you can easily find a lengthy list of cis actors who have played trans characters. The most I can think (off the top of my head) is Elliot Page playing a female character after coming out as trans in Umbrella Academy who then turns out to be trans in the end.

So if we had a lot of examples of trans people playing non-trans roles, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Instead you have trans characters played by non-trans actors, and trans-actors either only being cast as trans characters or not being cast at all. So the idea of letting trans people play trans characters isn't an end goal, it's to help give them work in general.

I hope this doesn't sound harsh (and I am sure it won't except to the usual suspects), but if certain trans actors are only capable of playing roles that are just like they are in real life, couldn't the argument be made that they aren't very good at acting?  So, maybe their inability to find work is more about their lack of acting skills rather than reasons x, y or z.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2023, 12:43:09 PM »

Wasn't there an example in SNW?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2023, 12:43:57 PM »

What about the many comedians who did act in "Men in Drag" roles such as...Juwanna Man, Madea, Big Mommas House, The Nutty Professor, Norbit, Ms. Doubtfire, Jack and Jill?

Are these movies involved in Trans-People not getting roles in movies? If a Trans-Person does play a straight role, which sex would they portray? Would it be based on which they most can pass off as, that will make the audience/the viewer be able to see the character as a women or man.

This is why I suggested writers need to incorporate more diverse people within their stories, if they want more diversity. But there are some stories that are only meant for the people of that culture. It's why I say, it's a lot more than just this sort of issue, and it all comes down to culture and how that culture perceives and wants it's society to be.

If the writers are not doing it, then shouldn't it be up to the one least represented to take it upon themselves to write their own. Maybe they have, but the executives in charge of producing these TV programs and Movies did not see it as something that would sell. An example taking upon yourself to represent your people is the show "Reservation Dogs", it's a show written by an Indigenous person that stars Indigenous people, mainly Native Americans, and is filmed in a Reservation in Oklahoma.

RuPaul's Drag Race is such a show that has done as much for the Trans community as Reservation Dogs has done for the Native American community.

Offline Adami

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2023, 12:46:35 PM »

I know there's a non-binary actor on Discovery playing a non-binary character (who is too scared to come out as non-binary in the year 3000 whatever) and according to google there's a trans actor playing a non-binary character in a guest role. I couldn't find anything else but I may be missing something obvious.

I'm sure it has happened on an occasion, but the fact that it's this hard to come up with one is telling.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2023, 12:48:51 PM »

I hope this doesn't sound harsh (and I am sure it won't except to the usual suspects), but if certain trans actors are only capable of playing roles that are just like they are in real life, couldn't the argument be made that they aren't very good at acting?  So, maybe their inability to find work is more about their lack of acting skills rather than reasons x, y or z.

It did sound harsh, but I get your point. Though it assumes the sole reason trans people aren't being cast is because of their talent. I would say that is highly questionable. I would say it's likely WAY more common than a trans person isn't considered "passing" enough to play a cis person and are likely rejected on principle or appearance alone.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2023, 12:53:29 PM »

It did sound harsh, but I get your point. Though it assumes the sole reason trans people aren't being cast is because of their talent. I would say that is highly questionable. I would say it's likely WAY more common than a trans person isn't considered "passing" enough to play a cis person and are likely rejected on principle or appearance alone.
And that's terrible, especially being rejected on some kind of sick "principle".  But actors get rejected for roles based on appearance alone all the time.  That is part of the gig.

Which is why this can be a tough subject to discuss. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2023, 12:57:04 PM »
I agree with both of you. It is definitely a tough subject to discuss. And it's not like fairness is the norm when it comes to getting an acting gig, otherwise an explanation for how Gwyneth Paltrow and Ralph Macchio still have careers is in order. ;)

Offline Adami

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2023, 12:57:37 PM »
Indeed, but ugly people get jobs.

Non-passing trans actors don't unless it's to play a non-passing trans actor.

Which is the point. If you're a non-passing trans actor and can't get a role as a cis person because of that, then roles of non-passing trans characters go almost exclusively to cis actors, it's a bit messed up.

If you tell me that for all of these trans roles, they auditioned a BUNCH of trans actors who just did not have the acting chops, then it is what it is, but I have a feeling that's not what happens.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2023, 01:03:23 PM »

"Passing" or not shouldn't matter at all. Men have portrayed women in every culture when it comes to these "shows" or "plays". Television/Movies are an evolved form the of the Play Theatre. Television/Movies allows the audience to be even more immersed in the setting/the world of the story. Since women weren't allowed to take part in these "plays", due to the how that culture viewed a women's role in their society, the men would be the one's to portray these roles.

Once women were allowed, women began acting as males. It actually was quite common.

https://www.writerstheatre.org/blog/gender-shakespeares-stage-history/

Perhaps one of the most famous examples of a woman portraying a man is Sarah Bernhardt’s 1899 performance as Hamlet. In fact, by the turn of the 20th century it had become increasingly common for women to portray men in what was termed “breeches” roles.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2023, 01:08:16 PM »

I know there's a non-binary actor on Discovery playing a non-binary character (who is too scared to come out as non-binary in the year 3000 whatever) and according to google there's a trans actor playing a non-binary character in a guest role. I couldn't find anything else but I may be missing something obvious.

I'm sure it has happened on an occasion, but the fact that it's this hard to come up with one is telling.
This is the person I was thinking of. However, I honestly have no clue what the character she portrayed was supposed to be, so I don't know if it fits your example. Honestly, I didn't much care for the episode. Partly because the Spock/Chapel/T'Pring thing just didn't work for me, and partly because androgynous people creep me out. Yes, I know I'm an awful person.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Jesse_James_Keitel
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2023, 01:13:39 PM »
Yup! Totally forgot about it. And still can't even remember the details.

And I agree with you in general. They need to stop giving Spock love interests.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2023, 01:29:23 PM »

Friggin' Matt Bomer.  The man is a walking God and was AWESOME on both Chuck and White Collar, with two characters who were both predicated on the fact that he could sleep with almost any woman, no matter how hot, at will. 

I think those characters are being written in, it's just that there's always - ALWAYS - a message attached.  Law and Order: Organized Crime.   You only know Eliot Stadler's wife because of Law and Order:SVU, and the fact she dies as a premise to the entire series.  Fair enough.   You do not meet ANY of the other main characters' significant others except for one:  the African American woman's wife, and there's an entire story line of their being parents and then their marriage failing.   And there's not a scene that goes by where we're not reminded "everyday problems!  Lesbians have them too!"   Sure.  Got it.  But the entire premise of Law and Order is that we DON'T get all the backstories.  We DON'T meet the fams. 

I don't have "gay friends". I have "friends".  A certain number just might actually be gay.   Just like me "bangin' broads!" rarely (I'm kidding; NEVER) comes up in conversation, and I'm well past the "look at the titties on her!" stage of my friendships, so too their sexuality.  It's just a given, no message.   I like/love them for the totality of what and who they are.  It'd be nice to have some gay characters written in like that; you know, like real life.  Carson Cressly is annoying AF; not because he's gay, but because he's a lech. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2023, 01:41:39 PM »
I don't really have any issues with gays playing straights, trans playing cis, or any other combination of the sort. I do say "hmmmm" when it comes to races though. I'm not really sure why. Just one of those things.

I can't help but think of Fisher Stevens in Short Circuit:

I understand that was like 35 years ago, and maybe there weren't enough Indian actors in Hollywood or something, but I'd question why if such a casting choice was made today. I wouldn't be outraged or anything, but it would just seem weird and kind of inappropriate I guess. 

« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 04:50:02 AM by Chino »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2023, 06:32:11 AM »

I understand that was like 35 years ago, and maybe there weren't enough Indian actors in Hollywood or something, but I'd question why if such a casting choice was made today. I wouldn't be outraged or anything, but it would just seem weird and kind of inappropriate I guess.

I feel that with films and stuff like that, you always have to suspend a bit of a belief. Take Al Pacino. He is Italian, but I never batted an eye at seeing him play a Cuban in Scarface. Heck, I am Irish, and if a non-Irish actor can pull off an Irish accent and play a character living in Dublin, I say bravo.  Granted, it is apples and oranges with someone from one region playing someone from another of similar-looking skin color (for example), like how Australians like Mel Gibson and Rachel Griffiths can totally lose their accents and sound American, but I think it all goes back to the core of acting which is pretending to be someone or something you or not. 

Offline Harmony

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2023, 06:55:14 PM »
We can't forget how bad it is for an actor to put on a fat suit now too.  Just ask Brendan Fraser.

Shallow Hal might not be able to be made today - at least not with Paltrow in a fat suit.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2023, 08:13:41 PM »
Aw man, when I opened the link I saw Guy Pearce's name I thought NOOOOOO! He is a boss in everything I've seen him in, and I've never heard anything bad said about his character. Fortunately(?) this looks like this will blow over and not cause irreparable harm, as he was able to reasonably address the concerns others expressed with his post. XJ seems to have summed it up well.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2023, 01:05:51 AM »
Shallow Hal might not be able to be made today - at least not with Paltrow in a fat suit.

We can be thankful for small mercies.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2023, 06:12:49 AM »
I am in favor of anything that results in less Gwyneth Paltrow, except Se7en (where she was replaceable anyway).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2023, 06:21:45 AM »
In fairness, that film is terrible.  It should never have been made in the first place.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2023, 06:23:35 AM »
In fairness, that film is terrible.  It should never have been made in the first place.

I'm no fan of her acting (or her, for that matter; she's annoyingly pretentious and looks like a frog) but she was great for that role.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2023, 06:25:23 AM »

I'm no fan of her acting (or her, for that matter; she's annoyingly pretentious and looks like a frog) but she was great for that role.
I don't give her all the blame for that turd of a movie.  There is plenty to go around.