Author Topic: How is it possible for two separate bands to get the same musical idea?  (Read 3877 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Thread title doesn't really explain what I mean, but there is a character limit, so...  Anyway, the full question is:  How is it possible for two completely separate bands to come up with almost the same identical music at the same time without hearing one another?  Obviously, it happens all the time that a band hears something and is inspired by it, and it sits in their subconscious and comes right out when they are writing.  That isn't the case here.  Let me show you what I mean.  Go here and listen to track #10, specifically the stop/start riff toward the end of the sample:  https://www.amazon.com/UnEarthed-Vol-2/dp/B000QQVK1Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1275345407&sr=8-1

Listening to that, anyone who has ever heard Whitesnake would inevitably say "Hey, the stole the riff from Slow An' Easy note for note!"

But here's the thing:  They were in the studio writing that song at the same time Whitesnake were halfway around the world writing the songs for Slide It In.  That's what boggles the mind.  How can this be?  I leave it for you all to ponder.  Needless to say, when Whitesnake's album came out, Y&T's song ended up on the cutting room floor.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
Thread title doesn't really explain what I mean, but there is a character limit, so...  Anyway, the full question is:  How is it possible for two completely separate bands to come up with almost the same identical music at the same time without hearing one another?  Obviously, it happens all the time that a band hears something and is inspired by it, and it sits in their subconscious and comes right out when they are writing.  That isn't the case here.  Let me show you what I mean.  Go here and listen to track #10, specifically the stop/start riff toward the end of the sample:  https://www.amazon.com/UnEarthed-Vol-2/dp/B000QQVK1Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1275345407&sr=8-1

Listening to that, anyone who has ever heard Whitesnake would inevitably say "Hey, the stole the riff from Slow An' Easy note for note!"

But here's the thing:  They were in the studio writing that song at the same time Whitesnake were halfway around the world writing the songs for Slide It In.  That's what boggles the mind.  How can this be?  I leave it for you all to ponder.  Needless to say, when Whitesnake's album came out, Y&T's song ended up on the cutting room floor.
I don't see how else I can answer it without saying the word coincidence, unless you believe it's some telepathic or supernatural connection...

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
Maybe since both bands play a similar form of hard rock/heavy metal, and were probably inspired by the same music scene at the time, they both coincidentally came up with the same riff just because they had the same ideas about what would sound good.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
A Witch!
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
Fuckin music, how does it work?
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Fuckin music, how does it work?

The only acceptable answer.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
I can hold music, and I know how it works.

Magnets too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member

Magnets too.

You be lyin' an' gettin' me pissed.

Offline kirbywelch92

I would say that the musical ideas that Whitesnake come up with, are not exactly difficult musical ideas to replicate. Not that 80's rock isn't great or enjoyable, it's just not that hard to figure out.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: I be gettin' pissed
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 11:55:43 PM »

Magnets too.

You be lyin' an' gettin' me pissed.

If y'all muthafuckas lyin', then we are not a match.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I say coincidence, think of all the music that is being constantly created every single day, bound to happen.

Offline OperantChamber

What about Septic Flesh's Communion and the Meow Mix jingle?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV70IKozSbY

Most of their music is pretty serious so I doubt it was done on purpose.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I would categorize this one into the "instrument-driven" coincidences. What happens is that due to how a certain instrument is set up, people will come up with similar ideas because of that. The said musical figure is an octave jump that invites itself on a guitar since it's very easy to play on it.
This figure appears in slightly different versions in My Sharona, at the end of 2112 etc. etc.

rumborak
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 02:59:10 PM by Jabba the rak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline dedSurroun

• Words To Clear Your Mind
  • Walking Out Of The Machinery
If you exist within the same musical world, this is bound to happen. There are no infinite musical possibilities, at least if you only live, move, and have your being in the Western musical sphere. Most chord progressions, etc. have probably already been used. Repeats and coincidences like these are to be expected, and are probably very common.
And now I've only habits left
to break

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Wow, that is uncanny, but rumbo is right.  I've got to say that if your in the music buisness a long time, it's only common to hear a riff somewjere that you've heard before, though bosk1's point is that this came out at the same time.  Certain styles in cetain era's of music are similar and this is just 3 planets lining up to the sun once in a millions years.

How the hell did you know this bosk1?  Did you by both albums at the time?  It's just sooooo similar!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
The more simple and basic riff is, the more probable it is that it happens like that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I realize it is only a coincidence.  I just marvel at how uncanny it is, as Shmeg said.

...bosk1's point is that this came out at the same time...

How the hell did you know this bosk1?  Did you by both albums at the time?  It's just sooooo similar!!

It came up on my iTunes yesterday, and I was reminded.  The song is on Y&T's equivalent of DT's "official bootlegs."  A few years back, they released two volumes of 35 unreleased songs spanning their entire career, from before their first album up to the present.  Like what Mike does for the Ytsejam releases, there were detailed liner notes explaining whatever details the band could remember about each song.  I remember them saying for that one that they had finished recording and were making the final selection for the album tracks when somebody brought in the "brand new" Whitesnake album and played it, and the reaction was, "well, I guess that eliminates this song from consideration."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wow Bosk, that's pretty exact..

and also how do 3 songs, all released in 1983 by seperate bands all have the same opening riff?
Dio's Stand Up And Shout
Saxon's Power And The Glory
Accept's Flash Rockin' Man

Actually the same riff was done a couple of years earlier on Riot's Swords And Tequila..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
Venom's "Welcome to Hell"
Mercyful Fate's "Curse of the Pharaohs"
Iron Maiden's "2 Minutes to Midnight"

Notice anything similar in that opening riff?
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Venom's "Welcome to Hell"
Mercyful Fate's "Curse of the Pharaohs"
Iron Maiden's "2 Minutes to Midnight"

Notice anything similar in that opening riff?
Yup, same as the ones in my post!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I realize it is only a coincidence.  I just marvel at how uncanny it is, as Shmeg said.

...bosk1's point is that this came out at the same time...

How the hell did you know this bosk1?  Did you by both albums at the time?  It's just sooooo similar!!

It came up on my iTunes yesterday, and I was reminded.  The song is on Y&T's equivalent of DT's "official bootlegs."  A few years back, they released two volumes of 35 unreleased songs spanning their entire career, from before their first album up to the present.  Like what Mike does for the Ytsejam releases, there were detailed liner notes explaining whatever details the band could remember about each song.  I remember them saying for that one that they had finished recording and were making the final selection for the album tracks when somebody brought in the "brand new" Whitesnake album and played it, and the reaction was, "well, I guess that eliminates this song from consideration."

That's a neat story.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 02:12:09 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
No matter how big or how small, little similarities will pop up.  They even in quick little pieces.  I was reminded of this in a recent Kiss Survivor:

There's a riff in Under the Rose (ed. - Kiss - Music from the Elder) that's almost exactly the same as the pre-solo riff in "Jaded Heart" by Dokken.  I'll see if I can find the two and post the comparison.

EDIT:  Here they are.  Not exact, but fairly close - How the hell do I notice these things?

Under the Rose Link

Jaded Heart Link