Author Topic: Rank the movements of SDOIT  (Read 8927 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Rank the movements of SDOIT
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2010, 10:37:35 AM »
Overture
Goodnight kiss
The test that stumped them all
War inside my head
Loosing time
About to crash reprise
About to crash
Solitary shell

This guy has the right idea.  Why is everyone else ranking Overture so low when it is the basis for the entire song?  Not only that but it's the best movement of the entire song.

1.  Overture
2.  Solitary Shell
3.  Goodnight Kiss
4.  War Inside My Head
5.  The Test That Stumped Them All
6.  Losing Time/Grande Finale
7.  About To Crash
8.  About To Crash (Reprise)
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2010, 10:39:51 AM »
6.  Solitary Shell - DT does Green Day a lot better than Green Day does Green Day.

wat
:lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2010, 10:45:14 AM »
Why is everyone else ranking Overture so low when it is the basis for the entire song? 

7.  Overture - Very nice, but alas, just an overture.  Despite it being a good piece of music, I just can't rank an overture above the greatness of some of the other movements.

And it is not the "basis for the entire song."  As an overture is supposed to, it merely introduces the major themes of the entire song and weaves them together as an instrumental introduction.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2010, 10:56:06 AM »
Overture lays the musical foundation for the song.  That's what I meant by "basis".  I'm not sure how that fact can be denied.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2010, 11:02:32 AM »
The fact can't be denied, +, Overture is very underrated! it's alot better than I remembered

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2010, 11:45:47 AM »
Overture lays the musical foundation for the song.  That's what I meant by "basis". 

Yes, but that's all it does.  Again, it does it well, but it is just an overture.  Conceptually, I personally find it difficult to rank something that, by its very nature, only introduces themes ahead of something that more fully expounds on and develops those themes.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2010, 11:56:51 AM »
  Why is everyone else ranking Overture so low when it is the basis for the entire song? 

Because, for me, it is the least interesting of the eight tracks.  Just because it might be the basis for the whole song doesn't mean it can't be the least best part of the song.  To make a comparison, I think the "Overture" of Transatlantic's "The Whirlwind" is by far the least best track on that CD, and that essentially serves the same purpose that "Six Degrees..."'s "Overture" does.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2010, 12:02:45 PM »
hehe, I think the Overture on Whirlwind, DEFINITELY! is the best one, that's just...I get chills, so awesome! all teh way through, love that song. better than the SDOIT overture imo
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 01:47:54 PM by BRGM »

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2010, 02:52:26 PM »

Because, for me, it is the least interesting of the eight tracks.  Just because it might be the basis for the whole song doesn't mean it can't be the least best part of the song.  To make a comparison, I think the "Overture" of Transatlantic's "The Whirlwind" is by far the least best track on that CD, and that essentially serves the same purpose that "Six Degrees..."'s "Overture" does.

Overture lays the musical foundation for the song.  That's what I meant by "basis". 

Yes, but that's all it does.  Again, it does it well, but it is just an overture.  Conceptually, I personally find it difficult to rank something that, by its very nature, only introduces themes ahead of something that more fully expounds on and develops those themes.

If Blob were here, he might like to have a word with you both.  :biggrin:

On a more serious note, I don't think the fact that it's an "overture" should diminish its greatness.  "just an overture" or "serves the same purpose" seems kind of stereotypical.  For me, it's a combination of laying the groundwork for the rest of the song as well as being a brilliant passage of music.  It really doesn't need to be anything more than that.  I look at the whole song like a tree and its branches.  Overture is the trunk and the other movements are the branches.  As BRGM said, Overture is very underrated and I think the reason is mainly because if its label.  I think people look at it mostly as just an intro and it limits the bounds of their appreciation for it.  I gotta tell ya, I didn't like it much at first but now it's my favorite part of the song.  Maybe that's all it comes down to is preference.  :)

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2010, 02:56:45 PM »
It's good, but kind of just there. It loses its novelty after a while. And to prove I'm not "teh bias" against overtures, I think Overture 1928 is in the top half of tracks on SFAM :D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2010, 02:59:40 PM »

Yes, it really is a shame that he is not here. :lol :lol

:biggrin: :biggrin:

On a more serious note, I don't think the fact that it's an "overture" should diminish its greatness.  "just an overture" or "serves the same purpose" seems kind of stereotypical.  For me, it's a combination of laying the groundwork for the rest of the song as well as being a brilliant passage of music.  It really doesn't need to be anything more than that.  I look at the whole song like a tree and its branches.  Overture is the trunk and the other movements are the branches.  As BRGM said, Overture is very underrated and I think the reason is mainly because if its label.  I think people look at it mostly as just an intro and it limits the bounds of their appreciation for it.  I gotta tell ya, I didn't like it much at first but now it's my favorite part of the song.  Maybe that's all it comes down to is preference.  :)

Sure, it does come to preference, but, while I get your trunk and branches analogy, I have said for a long time that I don't feel that 6DOIT works well as a whole song.  As a suite, it does, but as a single song, it is rather choppy and doesn't flow well at all.  So, for me, the parts are better than the sum, and the "Overture" is simply my least favorite part. 

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2010, 03:24:44 PM »
Without any real ideology behind it, I rank Overture the lowest simply because it impresses me the least. It's very good without doubt and the suite can't work without it, but just every one of the remaining seven parts manage to grab me more.

It's not that I don't like overtures or anything - after all, I almost worship Regression and also love Overture 1928. It's a matter of the song/section/whatever itself, not the label.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2010, 03:50:10 PM »
I find the Overture objectively impressive from a purely compositional perspective, but to be honest while I'll happily listen to the full 4 minutes of the Octavarium intro, I often skip some of this and go straight into ABC. The Score version with the orchestra helped, but it just seems a little... maudlin, in the studio, I can't really describe it.

It suffers more when it's compared, as people have done, to Overture 1928, which is engaging and a good standalone instrumental piece (well, maybe with SDV) and The Whirlwind's Overture, which is the closest I've come to wanting to describe ANYTHING as 'glorious' lest I question my sexuality.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2010, 04:03:21 PM »

Yes, it really is a shame that he is not here. :lol :lol

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Sure, it does come to preference, but, while I get your trunk and branches analogy, I have said for a long time that I don't feel that 6DOIT works well as a whole song.  As a suite, it does, but as a single song, it is rather choppy and doesn't flow well at all.  So, for me, the parts are better than the sum, and the "Overture" is simply my least favorite part. 

Fair enough.   :tup

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2010, 04:29:18 PM »
1.) Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence

I will illustrate graphically.

I like to think of the song as a whole.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2010, 06:31:37 PM »

So do I.

BUT IT STILL HAS MOVEMENTS

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2010, 08:21:12 PM »
The Great Overture Debate

Offline wasp2020

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2010, 09:29:50 PM »
1. About to Crash
2. Solitary Shell
3. Overture
4. War Inside My Head
5. About to Crash (Reprise)
6. Goodnight Kiss
7. Losing Time/Grand Finale
8. The Test That Stumped Them All

About to Crash is one of my favourite DT songs. Lots of catchy melodies, tons of Jordan piano playing, interesting rhythm guitar, very well structured, goes through a lot of different emotions. Solitary Shell is really great, some more good piano playing, some of the best pop melodies they'e written, and an impressive solo section. Overture is one of my favourites, I just love it. War Inside my Head is a really great, short, catchy metal song. Reprise is real kickass, but as a theme reprisal section I think it has less to offer than the first Overture. Goodnight Kiss isn't one of their better ballads, but still has a great solo. LTGF simply isn't dynamic enough, it sort of all sounds the same throughout. Test That Stumped Them All is a bit of a real drag thanks to that solo section, but the rest of the song is pretty solid.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2010, 12:00:59 AM »

Hence the thread title

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2010, 12:27:02 AM »
About To Crash (Reprise) is with no doubt one of the best DT song ever. It has the happiest instrumental DT has ever done. It's much better than the original ATC IMO. So my rank goes;

1. About To Crash (Reprise)
2. Solitary Shell
3. Goodnight Kiss
4. Overture
5. War Inside My Head
6. Losing Time
7. The Test That Stumped Them All
8. About To Crash
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2010, 12:32:30 PM »

OK, then your posting in this thread is moot.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2010, 12:35:48 PM »

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2010, 02:25:31 PM »

OK, then your posting in this thread is moot.

Just voicing my opinion. Didn't think you get so mad.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2010, 02:39:39 PM »
I don't think anyone is mad.  He is just saying that your post has nothing to do with the question the thread is asking.  Of course you view it as one song.  It is one song.  The point of the thread is to have people compare the movements of the song agaist one another.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2010, 04:41:17 PM »
Oh, I am raging right now. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( ??? >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2010, 05:06:36 PM »
I like my left knee more than my right elbow.

Just seems kinda silly...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2010, 05:07:37 PM »

You are making zero sense now.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2010, 05:09:57 PM »

Then don't post in the thread dude.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2010, 05:10:10 PM »
Oh, I am raging right now. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( ??? >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

CALM DOWN JIMMY!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2010, 05:21:05 PM »
1. War Inside My Head
2. The Test That Stumped Them All
3. Losing Time/Grand Finale
4. About to Crash
5. Solitary Shell
6. Goodnight Kiss