Author Topic: If Dream Theater were to change their style COMPLETELY for one album  (Read 17488 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: If Dream Theater were to change their style COMPLETELY for one album
« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2010, 12:39:47 PM »
So like An Evening With with the whole band? I'd be down for something like that.

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2010, 12:41:12 PM »
I would love to hear a DT album with almost no or a very small amount of soloing (like in "Wither" where there is just one very short solo).  This would mean shorter instrumental sections and possibly shorter and more cohesive songs, which I think they could pull off.  And imagine if they did do some extended instrumental sections where the emphasis is on vibe and textures instead of trading solos.

This. And maybe some orchestral rock ala TSO (Trans-Siberian Orchestra) on the second disc.  :tup

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2010, 12:46:58 PM »
I would also like them to make a Buttrock Goa album. Mainly to see if they could.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2010, 12:59:31 PM »
I have never heard that POS album, XJD, but I agree that an acoustic/folky album from them could be sweet.  I think they could pull of a Damnation-type album really well: lots of acoustic, clean, non-metal guitars, piano, mellotron, etc.  I mean, just imagine a whole album of songs similar to the Rotterdam songs on the 5YIAL video.  That would be great.  Sure, some of the more metal fans of theirs wouldn't like it, but I think time has shown that making every DT fan happy is pretty much impossible. :p
Maybe an EP like that?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2010, 01:04:29 PM »
I'm afraid to ask MP about switching up their style on that music radar thing
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2010, 01:08:20 PM »

That what?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2010, 01:10:50 PM »

That what?
https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ask-musicradar-submit-your-questions-for-mike-portnoy-253368?page=2&max=10
You can submit a question to MP. A new internet article interview
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2010, 01:11:57 PM »
Ohhh coolness.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2010, 02:49:23 PM »
I have never heard that POS album, XJD, but I agree that an acoustic/folky album from them could be sweet.  I think they could pull of a Damnation-type album really well: lots of acoustic, clean, non-metal guitars, piano, mellotron, etc.  I mean, just imagine a whole album of songs similar to the Rotterdam songs on the 5YIAL video.  That would be great.  Sure, some of the more metal fans of theirs wouldn't like it,
I think this is something that pretty much everyone would be interested in, besides people who ONLY like metal and nothing else. I think they could do a really great job. I love Damnation, although I can understand why some people think it's quite narrow in scope, but 12:5 by PoS is incredibly varied considering that everything is entirely acoustic. It's a little different as it's a live album, where they rearranged (in some cases completely changed) existing songs, rather than writing new ones, but something with that kind of feel would be amazing.

but I think time has shown that making every DT fan happy is pretty much impossible. :p
You can say that again. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.