Author Topic: Burning My Soul (Demo) -- Appreciation  (Read 7176 times)

Offline pietro123

• The Silent Man
  • |eruditio.vivo|
Burning My Soul (Demo) -- Appreciation
« on: May 29, 2010, 03:03:45 PM »
This song is so much better with the Hell's Kitchen instrumental in the middle of it. When listening to FII, I always seem to skip BMS, as it doesn't do much for me. It does have cool and catchy riffs, but I'm never drawn to it. The demo has that amazing instrumental section that gives it a ANTR-ish groovy middle section. Kinda heavy to start, then throw in some melodic licks...just sounds so much better if they left in the HK instrumental part.

Your thoughts?
Through Nature's inflexible grace, I'm learning to live.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Re: Burning My Soul (Demo) -- Appreciation
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 03:08:24 PM »
I like the way the whole song is constructed better than the album version, even excluding the Hell's Kitchen interlude. The demo is far superior to the one that made the cut :-\

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 04:24:39 PM »
I prefer the album version of Burning My Soul, because otherwise there wouldn't be the awesomeness that is the ending to Hell's Kitchen.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 04:25:53 PM »
I think the decision to remove the instrumental from Burning My Soul and fashion Hell's Kitchen from it was by far the best decision Kevin Shirley made as producer of Falling Into Infinity.  BMS just isn't very good, with or without HK, but HK is definitely the best part of it, and by a wide enough margin that it deserved to be its own song.

If only Shirley had been around to save "Beautiful Agony" from ANTR.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 04:30:41 PM »
I prefer the album version of Burning My Soul, because otherwise there wouldn't be the awesomeness that is the ending to Hell's Kitchen.

Pretty much this.  I don't want Hell's Kitchen associated with anything REMOTELY close to Burning My Soul.  It deserves to stand on its own; Shirley made a great call there, that's for damn sure.  Plus the ending of HK is godly.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 04:35:22 PM »

Baah, strop wining! It's a part of ANTR! u can't just cut it out that part to one song :S that'd be wrong

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 04:38:09 PM »

Baah, strop wining! It's a part of ANTR! u can't just cut it out that part to one song :S that'd be wrong
??? How old are you?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 04:48:36 PM »

I'm gonna go with a resounding 'Amen' on this one.  ANTR isn't bad persay, it's just that Beautiful Agony is sooooo much better and could easily have been an incredible stand alone piece.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 05:33:15 PM »

I'm gonna go with a resounding 'Amen' on this one.  ANTR isn't bad persay, it's just that Beautiful Agony is sooooo much better and could easily have been an incredible stand alone piece.

YES!  ANTR is by FAR my least favorite song on the album, but the "Beautiful Agony" part is one of my favorite parts of the album.  That would've been incredible by itself as a standalone song.

As for Hell's Kitchen, I'm glad it's not part of BMS anymore.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 05:52:14 PM »
The transition out of "Beautiful Agony" is enough to make me wish it was its own song.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 06:07:42 PM »
I agree with the OP. After listening to the demo, if i listen to the album version i now always think it's gonna go "Burning my..." which is pretty cool i think then Hells kitchen is there and makes it majestic. Sure the album ending is good, but i think it works better within Burning My Soul
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 06:10:55 PM »

??? How old are you?

Vegas has set the Over/Under at 17.  I am taking the Under.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 06:13:33 PM »
Personally I think the HK part works both within the song and as a standalone.

Offline TL

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 07:26:39 PM »
I think the "Beautiful Agony" section of ANTR, while really good on its own, is even better with the contrast in mood between it and the parts that book-end it. Just my two cents.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 10:17:36 PM »
I think the decision to remove the instrumental from Burning My Soul and fashion Hell's Kitchen from it was by far the best decision Kevin Shirley made as producer of Falling Into Infinity.  BMS just isn't very good, with or without HK, but HK is definitely the best part of it, and by a wide enough margin that it deserved to be its own song.

Amen.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 10:29:51 PM »

Amen.

Preach on Brother Hef!

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 02:04:35 AM »
I just like ANTR as it is
oh and HK without BMS is better than the BMS demo, but the BMS demo is better than the boring BMS

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 06:22:38 AM »
Let's attempt to keep the discussion from here on out with BMS & HK.  I was just using ANTR as a point of comparison.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 01:56:23 PM »
I just listened to this song again, and my God, what an utter trainwreck the demo is.  It totally sounds like two songs randomly throw together, with transitions seemingly happening for no reason and whatnot. I once echo hef's comments that the best decision ever made was pulling those two songs apart, and giving us the awesomeness of Hell's Kitchen, and leaving Burning My Soul to fester in its own mediocrity.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 02:04:59 PM »
Honestly, I can't think of ANY scenario where adding Hell's Kitchen to a song would make the song better.  But whatever.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 02:06:36 PM »
I just listened to this song again, and my God, what an utter trainwreck the demo is.  It totally sounds like two songs randomly throw together, with transitions seemingly happening for no reason and whatnot. I once echo hef's comments that the best decision ever made was pulling those two songs apart, and giving us the awesomeness of Hell's Kitchen, and leaving Burning My Soul to fester in its own mediocrity.

Exactly my thoughts after listening to the demo again. Hell's Kitchen is one of my favourites by DT and Burning My Soul is probably my least favourite DT song, so there. When I heard that at first they were one song once got interested at first, since it might make the song better. Turned out it didn't really.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 02:07:45 PM »
The middle section of TCOT  :lol

I only say that because I know how much you dislike the middle section of TCOT
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 02:12:03 PM »
The middle section of TCOT  :lol

I only say that because I know how much you dislike the middle section of TCOT

Was that aimed at me?  I LOVE the middle section of TCOT.  I just don't like it in the song because it kills the momentum.  But inserting a boring, repetitive instrumental section there is not the cure the song needs.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 02:14:25 PM »
I always thought you hated it. Someone on this board really hates it
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 02:21:19 PM »
Could be me, though I never explicitly said so.
'Hate' is too strong though, I just think it drags the song down, by a lot.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 03:11:57 PM »
Just wondering; is it a known fact that it was Kevin Shirley that suggested making Hell's Kitchen its own song?

Because if so, I just can't fathom how anyone in the band thought the original version of Burning My Soul was a good idea. The demo is so clumsy sounding, and the solution so obvious, that it kinda boggles my mind it took an outside producer to point it out.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2012, 03:28:15 PM »
Honestly, I can't think of ANY scenario where adding Hell's Kitchen to a song would make the song better.  But whatever.

Honestly, I can't think of ANY scenario where adding anything to Burning my Soul would make the song better.  But whatever.  :yarr
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 03:38:32 PM »
I actually enjoy BMS. I love the aggression in MP's drumming and for some odd reason really like the lyric: "So I hurt your feelings, well I'm really sorry, but I don't give a shit."
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2012, 05:01:48 PM »
I think Burning My Soul could have been a good song. It reminds me a bit of Another Dimension, and I love Another Dimension.

A Nightmare To Remember is such a weird bloated awkward thrown-together mess of a song. I don't even know how you would fix it.

But yes, Burning My Soul. I dunno. On paper, there's nothing really "bad" about it, it's just sorta mediocre. I think that it probably shouldn't have made it onto Falling Into Infinity, but only because Raise The Knife is sitting right there.

This post was certainly on topic the entire time.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 05:44:57 PM »
I love the main riffs in Burning My Soul, and the chorus. The verses... Well, let's just say they're not MP's best lyrics. Even if I kind of enjoy, "But I don't give a shit... NOOooOO!!!"

Hell's kitchen, by itself, I think is DT's least interesting instrumental. I rarely ever listen to it (although it served well as the ending to the Instrumedley). But when integrated into Burning My Soul, I think it added an interesting little break within the song. I enjoyed it quite a bit.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2012, 06:05:47 PM »
Yeah, the lyrics and the robot voice are the only things that really bug me about it.  Otherwise, I think that with the changes they made, it is actually a decent song, and one that I bet is pretty good live.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2012, 06:24:48 PM »
They actually played this at the Chicago show I saw in 2002 (the MOP show), and it was okay, but having not heard the demo yet at that point in time, every time I was getting into the Hell's Kitchen bits, they suddenly dove back into Burning My Soul, which was annoying as hell, so I can't say I enjoyed it that much.

I still remember about falling over amazement when I got the 5 Years in a Livetime VHS (yes, I had it on VHS first) and Burning My Soul was the first song on it. :eek :eek But that feeling was short-lived as soon as the acoustic version of Cover My Eyes, which I had never before, came on and absolutely floored me. :tup :tup

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2012, 07:17:53 PM »
Just wondering; is it a known fact that it was Kevin Shirley that suggested making Hell's Kitchen its own song?

Because if so, I just can't fathom how anyone in the band thought the original version of Burning My Soul was a good idea. The demo is so clumsy sounding, and the solution so obvious, that it kinda boggles my mind it took an outside producer to point it out.  :lol

Like they wouldn't have polished it. Guaranteed they'd keep the intro but leave Hells Kitchen at the end as it is on the album, only it'd be one track.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2012, 11:09:57 PM »
The song works much better without Hell's Kitchen tacked in. And I actually like BMS. But Hell's Kitchen works so beautifully as an instrumental, and it doesn't fit BMS at all.
I think pretty much every single change made to the demos of FII was definitely for the better, with this probably being top of the list.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2012, 12:26:52 AM »

Definitely my thoughts as well. I like both songs but separated. BMS's intro is one of the highlights of the album, the demo version just confuse me every time.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E