Author Topic: Queue prog nerd rage in 3... 2... 1...  (Read 4563 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Queue prog nerd rage in 3... 2... 1...
« on: May 28, 2010, 03:47:25 PM »
KANYE

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/;kw=%5B36885,160416%5D

Kanye West has served up the surprise party jam for Memorial Day weekend as the rapper returned this morning with the explosive new track "Power." The song, reportedly the first single from his highly-anticipated fifth album Good Ass Job, reunites Kanye with Dwele, the soul singer who provided the hook to West's "Flashing Lights." Nah Right reports that Symbolyc One produced the cut, which carves an unexpected sample out of King Crimson's prog-rock classic "21st Century Schizoid Man." After taking a slight detour to drum machines and melancholy synths on 2008's 808s and Heartbreak, Kanye's latest finds the rapper returning to the sped-up samples and militaristic beats that helped his first three albums go platinum.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
Re: Queue prog nerd rage in 3... 2... 1...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 03:48:26 PM »
Awesome, I can't wait to hear it.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 03:50:10 PM »
I've heard it. I'll leave out criticism of the song cause I'm not a fan of him at all, but the sampled bits made no sense within the context of the rest of the song. It felt really forced.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 03:52:38 PM »
I don't know much about rap, but the few rappers I heard discussing sampling always said something along the lines of "it's because we respect it and couldn't do it better".  If that's Kanye's attitude, I'm ok with it even though I disregard rap as a whole.  It's not like complaining is going to stop him.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 03:59:05 PM »
I've heard it. I'll leave out criticism of the song cause I'm not a fan of him at all, but the sampled bits made no sense within the context of the rest of the song. It felt really forced.

Just listened to it.. You're right, the sampled section was at a different tempo than the rest of the song, completely destroying the continuity of it. Also, only that one line was sampled, and a little bit later on, but that just sounded ridiculous, hardly enough to even warrant a news article about it.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 04:03:40 PM »
Fripp would be disappoint.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 04:05:47 PM »
My rage is that, wouldn't rap sound better with a real band recording?  I am not a rap fan at all but I do remember watching the L.L Cool J Unplugged and it sounded great with a real band behind him.  I just hate samples when it's used for the whole song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 04:32:44 PM »
Yo Robert, i'm really happy for you ima let you finish, but beyonce had one of the best videos of all time. One of the best videos of all time!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 04:34:13 PM »
Kanye needs a rival so we can have another Biggie-Tupac incident.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 05:50:58 PM »

Wouldn't he have had to get permission from Fripp to sample the song?  I'm sure Fripp is rolling in it right now from the royalties.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 06:03:21 PM »
Wow, that didn't fit at all in terms of tempo. You would think they would at least speed it up to the tempo of the song.

The track itself isn't that bad really.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »

Wouldn't he have had to get permission from Fripp to sample the song?  I'm sure Fripp is rolling in it right now from the royalties.

Maybe, I have no idea who owns the rights to the KC stuff.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 06:36:04 PM »
I wonder what the guy who shot Tupac is doing this weekend.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 11:22:58 PM »
*listens to the song*

Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 03:54:45 AM »
*shrugs*

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline robwebster

Re: Cue prog nerd rage in 3... 2... 1...
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 06:19:18 AM »
It's literally just the bit where he says "21st Century Schizoid Man."

I was hoping he'd use the kickin' riff.

Gutted.

Online Mladen

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 07:45:45 AM »
I can't wait for all of my fancy friends to get into these songs, and then for me to come and teach them about the King Crimson section. Although I know they couldn't care less about it.  :biggrin:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 09:41:58 AM »
I heard discussing sampling always said something along the lines of "it's because we respect it and couldn't do it better". 

That's such a retarded justification. You couldn't do come up with anything better so you just use what has already been done?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 10:05:39 AM »
I heard discussing sampling always said something along the lines of "it's because we respect it and couldn't do it better". 

That's such a retarded justification. You couldn't do come up with anything better so you just use what has already been done?

Yea.. what's wrong with that? I find that to be a pretty cool way to show off your influences and to pay homage to older music that you still want to appreciate.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 10:24:14 AM »
So Quad, you actually think Kanye is influenced by and appreciates King Crimson? I have to respectfully disagree with you.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2010, 11:17:32 AM »
So Quad, you actually think Kanye is influenced by and appreciates King Crimson? I have to respectfully disagree with you.

Possibly not, but that doesn't exclude the fact that he found something he enjoyed musically about that song enough to use it in HIS OWN song. And why is it some outlandish idea for rap artists to find influence in prog or jazz or anything else? We're so wrapped up (no pun intended) in this idea that Rap is some kind of lesser talent oriented genre, and that's completely and utterly untrue.

Offline shreddies

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2010, 12:04:36 PM »
*Reads article, listens to song

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »

Possibly not, but that doesn't exclude the fact that he found something he enjoyed musically about that song enough to use it in HIS OWN song. And why is it some outlandish idea for rap artists to find influence in prog or jazz or anything else? We're so wrapped up (no pun intended) in this idea that Rap is some kind of lesser talent oriented genre, and that's completely and utterly untrue.

I agree that there are talented rap artists out there, but it's KANYE we are talking about.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2010, 01:04:41 PM »

Congratulations, you butched the quote to make it look like I was stating my opinion.  I was stating what I heard other rappers use as justification.  It makes sense to me, its just like quoting someone in a position defense paper rather than paraphrasing and citing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2010, 01:22:22 PM »
LOL What did I win?? Sorry I truncated your quote at the wrong spot, but I think it's intuitive that you were referring to what others had stated, not what your personal opinion was.

Art is about expressing one's self though, nothing akin to writing a scientific paper. I just think using another's work in your art is a little cheap. If you 'couldn't do it better,' just accept that and do the best you can on your own merits, don't jack another's work to augment your own.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2010, 01:26:01 PM »
Art is about expressing one's self though, nothing akin to writing a scientific paper. I just think using another's work in your art is a little cheap. If you 'couldn't do it better,' just accept that and do the best you can on your own merits, don't jack another's work to augment your own.

Are you a Dream Theater fan?

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2010, 04:04:58 PM »

ICWUTUDIDTHAR

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2010, 04:11:52 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2010, 04:46:18 PM »

lol

But that's still not the same.  I agree with Cool Chris.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2010, 03:57:27 PM »
Sampling is not the same as having a heavy influence from other bands in parts of one's songs.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2010, 04:04:21 PM »
Sampling is not the same as having a heavy influence from other bands in parts of one's songs.

Exactly! Imagine if DT had just simply SAMPLED Muse...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2010, 04:54:35 PM »
Or Michael Jackson.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2010, 07:54:54 PM »
That sounded crap, didn't fit at all and like already said the tempo of the song is faster.

Meh, I always have Paul's Boutique & Endtroducing..... for my sampling needs.