Author Topic: Stone Temple Pilots  (Read 3860 times)

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Re: Stone Temple Pilots
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2013, 10:21:30 PM »
RIP STP:

1986-2013

Fuck this Chester Bennington shit. His voice is way too trebly and unmanly to convincingly pull off anything remotely resembling Scott's voice. Beyond that, STP has an extremely large fan base and there were obviously hundreds of other better options out there. It's pretty obvious they took the "make money, put asses in the seats, and sell albums" route. Considering that Weiland cost them a ludicrous amount of money during their prime, I won't really hold it against them but I definitely won't be buying any STP albums with CB singing. It was enough of a charity act buying Talk Show's album back in '97.

I totally understand most people's sentiment on CB fitting in with the group but I can see how he'd end up in the group other than just an opportunity for a cash grab. They apparently have a fairly long friendship and Bennington has idolized the band for a long time. Now I know that still doesn't mean he'll fit musically however I kind of like the aggressiveness and uptempo of the song they put together in a months time and put out. The vocal melodies sound a lot like Scott (that's good in that it works singing in that style but could be negative if they stay too similar to that throughout). They need to find a medium ground that sounds familiar but doing something new too if it's going to work.

I do admit wondering how Bennington will sound in the lower register songs if (hopefully) STP chooses to play some deeper cuts (not all greatest hits tours Scott!). I am also hesitant to get too excited about their material  considering I have no idea how they will go about a new album with CB (although I feel like the music will be pretty stellar as always).

For me it's simply time that STP the band (Deleo's and Kretz) are afforded the opportunity to go forth without always being handcuffed to someone incapable of performing live half the time or unwilling/incapable of recording new material. I'm also fed up with waiting on Weiland to ever get straight long enough to put out decent music again or make it worth the risk to spend money to go see him go on stage an hour late and slurring through the wrong lyrics to a song they've played a million times before.

I have no clue whether I'll enjoy whats to come but I think they deserve the chance to get it out there under the umbrella of STP type music.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2013, 10:28:46 PM »
Holy fuck, I actually am really liking the song. If they do a whole album like this I wouldn't mind at all.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2013, 10:57:32 PM »
Holy fuck, I actually am really liking the song. If they do a whole album like this I wouldn't mind at all.

I was seriously surprised at how much I liked it too. I was shocked at how his voice fit a fairly by the numbers sounding STP tune and this was put together over the course of a month or so. The challenge will come I think in the slower paced and lower register tunes. Who knows how they'll approach all that and hell maybe they'll surprise me with that as well. I am just happy for the band to be able to put their foot forward again... I'll give it a shot for sure based on what I've heard so far anyhow...

STP - Out Of Time: https://soundcloud.com/stpsoundcloud/out-of-time/s-troYY

Offline Index

• I Can Float Here Forever
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2013, 07:54:19 AM »
In regards to the new song, it's actually pretty good.

Now in regards to carrying on with the STP name... eh I don't know. Not too sure about that one. Why not just start a new band with Bennington and avoid loads of shit? Oh, wait I know, to sell tickets. But I digress.

Personally,  I think Bennington is a great fit for the band. He has a dynamic vocal range like Weiland and on some of those songs if it was just audio not video I could have sworn that sounded like a younger, more energized Weiland.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2013, 08:07:37 AM »
ew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZHiEYrJJlZY

Some of that wasn't horrible.  I was surprised how good "Dead and Bloated" sounded, although it did sound like he was forcing himself into a deeper register.  I'm not familiar with him at all, but based on comments, he normally doesn't sound like that.  I wonder what singing like that all night for a few months will do to his voice.  I had to stop it about halfway through, though.  They did an uptempo song (I forget which) and he was butchering it.

As for the new song, it's okay.  I guess we'll have to see what the new material sounds like.  If it sounds like STP to my ears, I'm in.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2013, 05:44:59 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2013, 05:52:23 PM »
At some point a band cannot be held prisoners buy other band members.  Like Journey and Styx, both back had to move on.  Were both popular after?!  No.  But they are happier.

The song is cool.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2013, 08:00:46 PM »
I'm not all that big of a fan of Linkin Park, and I'm a pretty casual STP fan to be honest, but I won't lie. This actually sounds great. I'd definitely be interested in hearing an album from this lineup. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2013, 03:30:29 PM »
He isn't actually that bad of a fit. Good for the band to finally axe Scott, i'm amazed how long they put up with his crap. Honestly, if you want to blame someone its him for not getting his act together for the fans and the band.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2013, 04:09:37 PM »
Not a huge STP fan but maybe they could've tried to get Richard Patrick in, they did that Army Of Anyone album and it was really really good.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2013, 07:36:53 PM »
Filter are pretty cool but I very rarely listen to them.

I played The Amalgamut album and Title Of Record to death back in the day.

So I Quit is like a much better version of Fuel by Metallica and Welcome To The Fold is a cracking song.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2013, 10:07:54 PM »
So the band (the remaining three original members, that is) released a statement on the official STP website.  Apparently Scott has been a bad boy.  Again.

https://stonetemplepilots.com/news/2013/05/stp-statement/

You may have read we recently filed suit against our former singer, Scott Weiland.  We wanted to clarify a few things:

Our purpose in taking this action is not to hurt Scott.   We want to move forward productively, and Scott’s choices and actions have prevented us from doing that.  We were in the process of putting our 20th anniversary tour together to celebrate the release of our first album, Core.  The plan was for a big tour where we’d perform the album in its entirety, along with some other favorite STP songs.  So, you might imagine our shock and disappointment when, without any notice, we learned that Scott had seized this tour for himself as his solo tour, and decided to do exactly what we as a group had planned. We found out about it the same way you did—we saw an ad for it.

Without getting into legal details, the band has a binding agreement that clearly states what each of us can and cannot do outside of STP.  Unfortunately many of the decisions Scott made violate this agreement, have been harmful to the band, and prevented us from moving forward.  When our requests to Scott and his representatives that they abide by the agreement were ignored, we finally had enough.  So now, we’ve made our choice.  It was beyond time we made some new music, which was impossible in the dysfunctional environment we were in.  We’ve lived in it long enough and have decided to move forward with STP. We wish Scott well. We’re really excited about the new music we’ve been making with Chester, including the song we just released, “Out of Time.”

We love this band and respect everything it means to you. We want to always give you our best and the choice we made is completely in that spirit.

Dean, Eric & Robert

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2013, 08:21:07 PM »
I've loved this band since I first saw the video for Plush on MTV. I wish them the best moving forward. I'm not a huge CB fan, but he sounds just fine singing with this band.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2013, 12:32:33 PM »
Been a huge STP fan for years, tremendous amounts of respect for Scott and his voice, but his time had come. He can no longer put out the goods live on a consistent basis, and the rest of the band is way too good to sit by idly while Scott screws them over.

As for Chester being hired, I really like it. The new song sounds like classic STP, and at times Chester even has sound similar to Scott's, but it is fresh and he can pull it off live. If STP was to release an album with songs like Out of Time I would absolutely love it. People need to back off on the criticism for STP for hiring Chester, they did what they want, they got rid of the frontman of their band and replaced him, and extremely bold move. How many of you originally thought DT wouldn't be good anymore when Portnoy left? How many expected Alice in Chains to return without Layne - even though the material they are putting out now is just as good if not better than the old stuff, IMO. STP is going in a new direction, like hundreds of huge bands have done before, at least give them a chance.