Author Topic: Stone Temple Pilots  (Read 3861 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Stone Temple Pilots
« on: May 25, 2010, 10:46:48 PM »
The new self-titled album, or the band in general.  I'm a big fan of both, as it turns out, although I did just pick up the new album today.  What I've heard so far is excellent.

I was watching the Palladia (MTV's HD music channel) concert of STP Live in Chicago the other night, and it was great.  It's why I knew I had to pick up the new album, today, which was release day.  My wife said she was surprised because I usually don't "waste my time" with straight-on rock or metal.  There has to be at least some prog to it.  They were playing "Plush" at the time, and I said "But listen to these chords.  Those are major ninths right there.  Listen to how the bass isn't just playing roots and fifths, he's providing motion and giving the chords even more color by playing all kinds of stuff."  STP are not a by-the-numbers grunge band.

True, Weiland has had some serious substance abuse problems in the past, and I've heard of some pretty bad STP shows because of it.  But man, when these guys are on, they are on.  Super tight and super sharp.  Weiland has one of my all-time favorite rock voices.  I love the way DeLeo chooses and voices his chords; it sounds so simple but it's not; he's got all kinds of crazy inversions going on.  And as mentioned, his bro just makes it sweeter with his choice of bass notes.  And Kretz always has that big, killer sound.

Appreciate.  :metal

Offline Jarlaxle

Re: Stone Temple Pilots
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 11:21:23 PM »
*appreciates*

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 02:52:43 AM »
Stone Temple Pilots

Are terrible.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 06:32:34 AM »
Couldn't agree with you more orby. STP is top-to-bottom one of the strongest creative units I've ever heard. Rob's use of fretless bass is brilliantly dynamic in its ability to steal the show in some songs while providing just the occasional ear-tickling fill in others all the while showing a sense of melodic maturity rare in mainstream rock. Eric Kretz is right on par with Martin Lopez in terms of fitting in excellently with their respective bands' sounds despite having styles so unique the average listener wouldn't associate their styles with the genres their bands play in.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 08:03:45 AM »
On of the last rock acts to care about solos. I  :heart STP.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 08:27:52 AM »
I pretty much despise all the radio singles and enjoy the the other songs.  Take away Vasoline, Interstate Love Song, Unglued and Big Empty, and the Purple album is seriously bad ass. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 09:43:58 AM »
Their first album had a bunch of good songs.  Didn't care for the second album as much then pretty much forgot about them.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 10:47:31 AM »
I loved the grunge-metal thing they had going on with the first album (that album has some seriously awesome riffs), but I wasn't too fond of the glam-rock direction they went in after that.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 11:33:08 AM »
So I finished my first full listen to the new album, and I have to say I'm a little disappointed.  Not a lot, and not overall.  Overall, it's still a great album, and I'm hoping it will keep growing.

I've always loved their variety, how they can deftly go from face-smashing heaviness to beautiful melodies and harmonies, and I kept waiting for another really good face smasher, but it never came.  Where's the next "Down" or "Wicked Garden"?  I don't want clones of those songs, no, but after completely exploring their melodic side, I was ready to get heavy again, and it didn't happen.  The opening track is the hardest-hitting it gets.

..all the while showing a sense of melodic maturity rare in mainstream rock.

This.  It's their sense of melody and harmony, which is accentuated when they hit you with dissonace and cacaphony, that I love.  But there must be balance.  I need that dark side of STP, too.  "Where the River Goes", "Lounge Fly", etc.  I miss that.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 02:33:16 PM »
Love the first 2 albums, after that is meh.

Just saw them and Weiland doesn't have the grunge bite in his voice anymore. Its sad.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 03:04:52 PM »
It's become a very nice, glorious voice for... I don't know, "easy listening"?  There were three or four songs in a row (starting with "Dare If You Dare") where I just thought Fuck, this sounds great!   But it ain't the ass-kicking STP I was expecting based on the first couple of songs.  It's still great stuff, but it just doesn't have the kick.

The concert vid was only an hour counting commercials, so obviously it wasn't the whole show, but it only included two new songs, and a lot of serious rockers from the first two albums.  They still rock the hell out of those older songs, so it seems weird that they don't come up with any of that in the studio anymore.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 04:19:23 PM »
Bands do go through different stages of style and I'd bet that STP will go heavy again.  The did with #4.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 11:37:35 PM »
I've been thinking of making a Stone Temple Pilots thread but looks like I was beat to it  :lol. I downloaded the deluxe version of the new album two days ago, and will probably listen to it later today. My favorite albums are No. 4 and Tiny Music...Songs From The Vatican Gift Shop.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 06:46:37 AM »
I'm slightly annoyed that I didn't know there was a deluxe version until yesterday.  I bought the regular version on Tuesday, and I'm not gonna double dip just for the four bonus tracks.

Listening to their older stuff yesterday, it's really a bit shocking how much their sound has changed over only five albums.  They started so heavy, but with a mellow melodic side.  Now that's been completely reversed.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 10:46:56 AM »
I'm slightly annoyed that I didn't know there was a deluxe version until yesterday.  I bought the regular version on Tuesday, and I'm not gonna double dip just for the four bonus tracks.
I thought someone had asked me about the deluxe version in the chat thread... I though I remembered it being you but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 11:58:57 AM »
I got the deluxe, really not knowing there was any other version

I like it so far, favorite track is 6 or 11

"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Neccy60

• Official Boards of Canada Fanperson
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 12:00:09 PM »
Never really liked Stone Temple Pilots except for one song.  And now I don't at all. :(

Quote from: axeman90210
Mr. Neccy, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 04:41:13 PM »
I thought someone had asked me about the deluxe version in the chat thread... I though I remembered it being you but perhaps I'm mistaken.

It wasn't me.  I don't think I've ever gone into the chat threads.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 01:35:25 PM »
Resurrecting my own thread from a year and a half ago because I guess there aren't that many STP fans around here, but I just listened to the entire catalogue, in order, over the past two days and I still think these guys are awesome.

But man, I miss their really heavy side. I'm so conflicted. It went away when they all cleaned up their acts, or actually their personal affairs. I mean, read between the lines.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 01:38:44 PM »
I love Core, its one of my favorite albums from my childhood. Great from beginning to end.  :metal

Don't really care for any of the other albums though.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 01:55:43 PM »
I really dug the new album Orbert even though it wasn't as heavy as others.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 04:32:20 PM »
Man it sounds great, the melodies and harmonies; I've always loved that side of them too.  I just wish there was one good face-smasher on the latest one.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 03:21:53 PM »
Chester Bennington (Linkin Park) new singer for STP? Hard to feel bad for Scott Weiland (get your shit together already). Surprised they put this together so quickly and have released a song already. I have been a distant LP fan but the new STP song sounds like Bennington could fit and make some quality new music while not being too different than their past. Not sure how all of this will go forward but pretty interesting news regardless.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2013, 04:23:36 PM »
When I saw the news that he was singing for them now, "what the actual fuck?" crossed my mind. XD
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2013, 04:51:30 PM »
I hadn't heard about that.  I actually totally forgot about STP, or this thread.

If they get a new singer, they should call it a different band, like they did with Talk Show.

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2013, 05:01:29 PM »
I hadn't heard about that.  I actually totally forgot about STP, or this thread.

If they get a new singer, they should call it a different band, like they did with Talk Show.

Personally I don't think that's fair to the band. While I can agree they were at their best when Weiland was somewhat functional; the band is REALLY GOOD and deserve just as much respect as he does in regards to the name of the band. The Deleo's are great writers and musicians and are just as much responsible for what they were able to accomplish as a band. Its BS that they've had to put up with Scott's mess all these years and lost who knows how much time and musical material that could have been created waiting for his drugged out ass....

Sorry I used to be a big fan of Weiland as an artist but fed the F' up with the druggie mentality. It's old news and that BS is pretty much why you are likely to have forgotten about this band...

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2013, 05:51:15 PM »
Chester Bennington... in STP.

I guess I'd have to hear their older tracks with him singing to judge it.. but man that just doesn't sound like the right fit.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2013, 05:51:53 PM »
Chester Bennington... in STP.

I guess I'd have to hear their older tracks with him singing to judge it.. but man that just doesn't sound like the right fit.

It's not.

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2013, 06:23:38 PM »
Video with Chester and the band from KROQ further discussing the grouping....

https://cbsrla.cbsradio.com/global/video/popup/pop_playerLaunch.asp?vt1=v&clipFormat=flv&clipId1=8895899&at1=General010&h1=Bennington STP Interview&flvUri=&partnerclipid=

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 06:39:57 PM »

Personally I don't think that's fair to the band. While I can agree they were at their best when Weiland was somewhat functional; the band is REALLY GOOD and deserve just as much respect as he does in regards to the name of the band. The Deleo's are great writers and musicians and are just as much responsible for what they were able to accomplish as a band. Its BS that they've had to put up with Scott's mess all these years and lost who knows how much time and musical material that could have been created waiting for his drugged out ass....

Sorry I used to be a big fan of Weiland as an artist but fed the F' up with the druggie mentality. It's old news and that BS is pretty much why you are likely to have forgotten about this band...

Those are some good points.  I guess what it comes down to is whether or not it's any good, and if it still sounds like Stone Temple Pilots.  When you have a certain sound, it seems like you'd want to keep it, more or less, if possible.  I love Weiland's voice and consider it a big part of the STP sound, but it's not like he's the only one who can sing like that.  Why not get someone with the same kind of voice?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2013, 07:13:19 PM »
Core kicks ass and is one of my favorite albums :metal

and despite trying my best to get into the other albums, they just don't do it for me  :-\

• DT.net Member
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2013, 09:05:03 PM »
RIP STP:

1986-2013

Fuck this Chester Bennington shit. His voice is way too trebly and unmanly to convincingly pull off anything remotely resembling Scott's voice. Beyond that, STP has an extremely large fan base and there were obviously hundreds of other better options out there. It's pretty obvious they took the "make money, put asses in the seats, and sell albums" route. Considering that Weiland cost them a ludicrous amount of money during their prime, I won't really hold it against them but I definitely won't be buying any STP albums with CB singing. It was enough of a charity act buying Talk Show's album back in '97.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2013, 09:49:39 PM »
I never did check out Talk Show, like I meant to about a hundred times.  How was it?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2013, 09:58:42 PM »
If you're like me and considered Tiny Music to be a noticeable decline from Core/Purple, you'll likely consider it to be even worse than TM. If you're forgiving toward them making filler-heavy material, there may be a bone for you.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2013, 10:05:28 PM »
I didn't think Tiny Music was horrible, but I definitely don't listen to it as often as the first two albums.  Number 4 IMO went a bit too far the other way; I like the heavy, but again, it's the variety and balance that's cool.