Author Topic: Tension Between North Korea and South Korea  (Read 20564 times)

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
Re: Tension Between North Korea and South Korea
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2010, 05:58:56 AM »
so much sexual tension, they should just do it and get it over with. i hate sitcom relationships.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2010, 07:10:31 AM »
What are the chances this actually escalates into war?
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2010, 07:11:15 AM »
Let the war start already! I mean, what kind of aggression is the one that determines "OK, now you've crossed it?". Kim Jong Il sending naked Christmas pictures?

I think the world got fed up with this shit and are starting to look like the kids at the lunch break shouting "FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!".

Edit: As a leader of a Nation, what would you do if this were an island of yours?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 07:21:38 AM by emindead »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2010, 07:21:20 AM »
Time has come to invade North Korea and wipe out the Korean Workers Party regime there. Kim Jong Il should be captured and executed. North Korea can then disappear as a separate country. It should be unified with the southern part of Korea.

I'd agree, but unfortunately foreign relations are a little bit more complicated than waving your big stick around.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2010, 07:23:27 AM »
Just saw on the news that the South Korean President said that S.K. "will unleash an enormous retaliation" if S.K. is attacked by N.K. again.

I just saw this on the news, so I don't have a link right now. Is this South Korea's usual threat that follows a North Korean attack? Or is it a legitimate South Korean warning?

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2010, 07:27:10 AM »
Just saw on the news that the South Korean President said that S.K. "will unleash an enormous retaliation" if S.K. is attacked by N.K. again.

I just saw this on the news, so I don't have a link right now. Is this South Korea's usual threat that follows a North Korean attack? Or is it a legitimate South Korean warning?
I think this is a legitimate warning. Although, how many times have we heard the old "OK, do this again and I will punch you" line?

China has already stated that they don't want any more attacks; they don't want escalation. So I guess that's it.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2010, 07:34:23 AM »
We shall see. The ball is in N.K.'s court.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2010, 08:15:59 AM »
Time has come to invade North Korea and wipe out the Korean Workers Party regime there. Kim Jong Il should be captured and executed. North Korea can then disappear as a separate country. It should be unified with the southern part of Korea.

I'd agree, but unfortunately foreign relations are a little bit more complicated than waving your big stick around.

Not according to NK

https://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov/23/north-korea-condemned-south-korea

An unofficial spokesman for North Korea told the Guardian that firing artillery was a "totally justifiable act of self-defence" in response to the sea drills and warned that nuclear war could follow "at any point" unless the exercises stop. Pyongyang has repeatedly issued such threats in the past.

BIG NUCLEAR WINGWANG IN YOUR FACE, CAPITALISTS

wtf is the internet?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2010, 09:07:06 AM »
I imagine Diego Garcia is fairly busy right now.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2010, 09:17:02 AM »
Where we came in?

Isn't this
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2010, 09:19:10 AM »

wtf is the internet?

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2010, 10:35:25 AM »
:rollin

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2010, 11:28:01 AM »
 :rollin

:hefdaddy

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2010, 11:49:08 AM »
Something brilliant just happened here.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2010, 01:40:08 AM »
 :lol

But yeah to sum up what the rest of the world probably thinks, picture the voice of the rest of the world saying, "What the hell man?  What the hell?" and NK is saying, "THEY STARTED IT!" followed by the rest of the world saying, "ugh. I'm getting tired of your shit man."

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2010, 09:23:27 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/11/24/nkorea.skorea.military.fire/index.html?hpt=T1

Basically, North Korea said South Korea pushed them to fire on them.

Bullshit, as usual, but still... This can go one of two ways: China supports North Korea, or China stays neutral. If they support the North, then it's probably bye-bye South Korea...

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2010, 09:30:56 AM »
No.  South Korea could wipe the floor with North Korea and take on a significant part of the Chinese army by themselves.  With U.S. support, SK would come out on top in any conventional war.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2010, 09:43:42 AM »
The United States is sending an aircraft carrier group to the region, to be followed by military drills.

I think the U.S. is getting in position to counter-attack effectively, if needed.

Offline Summers

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2010, 12:38:37 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/11/24/nkorea.skorea.military.fire/index.html?hpt=T1

Basically, North Korea said South Korea pushed them to fire on them.

Bullshit, as usual, but still... This can go one of two ways: China supports North Korea, or China stays neutral. If they support the North, then it's probably bye-bye South Korea...

If China supported the North militarily in a war with SK then I'd be more worried about WW3 starting...   
Getting awful crowded in my sky.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2010, 12:43:34 PM »
No.  South Korea could wipe the floor with North Korea and take on a significant part of the Chinese army by themselves.  With U.S. support, SK would come out on top in any conventional war.

I'm thinking more that the US would want to stay out of this conflict only because we're currently worried about Afghanistan.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2010, 03:38:44 PM »

I'm thinking more that the US would want to stay out of this conflict only because we're currently worried about Afghanistan.

The U.S. has plenty of manpower; they have a large amount located in Korea anyways.  But that's not even the point.  Not even one more U.S. boot has to touch Korean soil for the U.S. to wreck China/NK via air and naval power.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2010, 04:57:24 PM »

The U.S. has plenty of manpower; they have a large amount located in Korea anyways.  But that's not even the point.  Not even one more U.S. boot has to touch Korean soil for the U.S. to wreck China/NK via air and naval power.

I always thought that China kinda outranked us militarily. I must be mistaken then

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2010, 05:04:44 PM »
Manpower doesn't matter all that much in a war between two technologically advanced countries.  China could have a billion soldiers and it wouldn't make a difference.  The U.S. could beat them with one hand behind their back.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2010, 05:11:16 PM »
The carrier is a pretty standard show of force.  They won't come close to any action.  It's merely there to make the North Koreans nervous (and it will).  This will go the way it always does.

North Korea isn't Iraq.  Of course the U.S. could do some real damage,  but in the process we'd take some very real casualties.  A completely different sort of hurt than the occasional F-15 pilot getting shot down over the sandbox.  That's a risk that we're not even going to consider.  Anti-ship missiles are very nasty business. 

Manpower doesn't matter all that much in a war between two technologically advanced countries.  China could have a billion soldiers and it wouldn't make a difference.  The U.S. could beat them with one hand behind their back.
That's not a good way to look at it.  It might be true (but I doubt it), but the cost would be very ugly.  Plenty of people win fights but get the absolute living shit beat out of them in the process.  Kind of a crappy tradeoff. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2010, 05:21:09 PM »
The carrier is a pretty standard show of force.  They won't come close to any action.  It's merely there to make the North Koreans nervous (and it will).  This will go the way it always does.

North Korea isn't Iraq.  Of course the U.S. could do some real damage,  but in the process we'd take some very real casualties.  A completely different sort of hurt than the occasional F-15 pilot getting shot down over the sandbox.  That's a risk that we're not even going to consider.  Anti-ship missiles are very nasty business. 

That's not a good way to look at it.  It might be true (but I doubt it), but the cost would be very ugly.  Plenty of people win fights but get the absolute living shit beat out of them in the process.  Kind of a crappy tradeoff. 

North Korea isn't Iraq, I agree.  They've got a slightly superior air force (although probably not any better trained), but inferior equipment for the army (somehow).  The major difference would be will to fight I suppose, but that's an unknown.  Also, at least some of Saddam's forces were combat veterans, whereas none of NK's would be.  In a conventional war, I don't believe U.S. forces would take a high rate of casualties past the first week or so.  The air power factor is simply too massively on the U.S./South Korean side.

And manpower doesn't really matter in a modern war.  Aircraft are too powerful, satellites are too pervasive, and weaponry is too accurate for a nation like NK to overwhelm the U.S. through numbers.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2010, 06:53:17 PM »
Anyone think that the US should stay out of this? Maybe it's time to stop governing the world and trying to be in every single war.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2010, 07:21:40 PM »
Anyone think that the US should stay out of this? Maybe it's time to stop governing the world and trying to be in every single war.

You'll get no argument from me. Doesn't the rest of the world think this of us?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2010, 07:23:27 PM »
Obviously america should stay out of it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2010, 07:29:51 PM »

I'd say it's the general opinion over here.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2010, 07:33:32 PM »

Obviously, people over there were happy when America helped them with their dictator problems.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2010, 07:41:56 PM »

Obviously, people over there were happy when America helped them with their dictator problems.
With over there you mean where I live and with dictator problems you mean WWII?

Sure, it's great that we got some help during the second world war. That was 70 years ago and a totally different situation.

It's also not just that the general consensus seems to be that the US try to lessen it with the meddleing, it's also the fact that it seems to be unwise for the US itself to start/fight another war. It's not like the treasure chest is overflowing with money after the recent couple of invasions.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2010, 07:53:35 PM »
US itself to start/fight another war

The US wouldn't be starting anything. The US would be handling (yet another) extremely obvious problem that the rest of the world doesn't seem to want to do anything about.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2010, 08:09:12 PM »

That doesn't mean it's the correct thing to do.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2010, 08:24:22 PM »

That doesn't mean it's the correct thing to do.

Why not? A weak and ridiculous nation is showing signs of aggression against your allies. A nation where they're building a fence between themselves and their closest allies-- China-- because people actually flee North Korea to go to China and China perceives this as a problem.  A nation where people starve every time the government's "food distribution program" fails. My god, I feel bad for the people who've got the unlucky lot of being born in that country.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 08:37:18 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2010, 08:48:15 PM »
What's the point? The US help to start this war when it didn't have to. WWII was over... "we must prevent the Communism expansion". You idiots! Communist nations are proven to fail like a charm if you don't mess with them and let them do their mistakes over and over.

Also, why does the US always sends aid to NK? They are the enemy of your ally, right? PC, the US has only proven that they feed their enemies so one day they can confront them. We have a saying here: ustedes cazan peleas.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 09:01:13 PM by emindead »