Author Topic: Your Five Favorite Albums of All Time  (Read 30246 times)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Re: Your Five Favorite Albums of All Time
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2010, 03:07:57 PM »
Released under my favourite music year of all time, it was an attempt to top The Beatles’ Rubber Soul album.
Was it not Revolver they were trying to one-up with Pet Sounds? Cos then McCarteney heard Pet Sounds and went "damn, we have to one-up that" and they made Sgt Peppers.

Or am I one album ahead of myself?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2010, 03:13:44 PM »
My apologies bosk. But why was I singled out in that? I was in three of the posts you quoted, one of which was related to the topic at hand (however casual it may have been) and one of which was IN my top 5 list.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2010, 03:15:04 PM »
Not to mention, why were Marvellous G/AntiGoon singled out for congratulating each other on their taste in music, that's where I was confused.  We've had more off-topic threads than this  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »
My apologies bosk. But why was I singled out in that? I was in three of the posts you quoted, one of which was related to the topic at hand (however casual it may have been) and one of which was IN my top 5 list.

I quoted all the posts at issue.  You weren't singled out.  It was just too many people for me to bother listing everyone, and you happened to be the first post, hence mentioning you by name and the rest by "& co."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2010, 06:21:33 PM »
Wow, bosk what an incredible top 5! Those are all in my favorites as well. :tup
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2010, 06:59:35 PM »
1. Rush - Power Windows
2. Dream Theater - Awake
3. Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic
4. Opeth - Still Life
5. Genesis - Selling England by the Pound

Honorable Mention: Yes - Fragile

Trying to choose number 5 was difficult. Yes and Genesis could switch at any given moment...

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2010, 07:34:51 PM »
 :heart

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2010, 07:52:08 PM »
1. Agalloch - The Mantle

Although it often changes whether I prefer Ashes or The Mantle, As I am writing this I will probably say The Mantle is the best album of all time. The songs aren't as strong as on Ashes but the flow and progression of the whole album is such that it evoked so many emotions in me when I first heard it. At the end of those 68 minutes, when the dear skull is struck ominously, I was left with a feeling of undiluted awe and euphoria. There is no objective reasoning to this love, I could tell you about the complex acoustic layering, the song structures, the haunting atmosphere, but it makes no difference. This album will never move far from this position for the rest of my life

2. Ulver - Perdition City
Amazing mix of electronic & ambient music, with elements of jazz and triphop.
This album is very dark, and listening to it in headphones in a dark room at night is truly one of the best listening-experiences i've ever had.

3. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven

What can I say that has not already been said about this album. Although it's already considered the best post-rock album and perhaps the best album of the 00's I will expand a little further. On my first listen, it was like nothing I had ever heard before. An 80 minute album with four tracks of around 20 minutes. The way each tracks swells up to climax and then realeases and then builds creates so much tension, drama and emotion. As this is one of those bands whose (four) works are nearly all as good as each other, I could easily list F#A# at this position, but I heard LYSF first so it gets the spot. I have this album on vinyl (2000) and perhaps one day, I will give it to my son who is normally listening to his future robotic tunes and I'm sure he will be just as amazed as I was when he hears it.

4. Chroma Key - Graveyard Mountain Home

A somewhat strange choice, as this album is nowhere near as popular or even as highly rated by others, as are the rest on this list. I can't exactly explain why, but this is the 4th greatest album of all time. It's a quite unassuming record, a sort of art-rock/ambient/electronic album. Never has a opening track been so contrary to the majority of the album, it opens with a happy sounding track, but form then on it's actually very dark, with a constant "rainy" feel throughout. Easily the most relaxing album I have listened to, and I go back to it every time after a long shitty day. The samples, the Kevin Moore vocals and the minimalist keyboard work all combine to create something much greater than the sum of their parts. I would recommend this album to most people, and most people wouldn't like it that much. But the once who do, will love it  :)

5. Pink Floyd - Animals

My fifth choice often changes and there are about 10 albums which could be interchangeable in this position, but I keep coming back to Animals. Although Wish You Were Here is Pink Floyd's best album, something about Animals just really gets me. Although the actual music is superb with all members typically on fire, what really creates this experience is the album cover and the lyrics. I know that may sound stupid, but when I listen to this album on vinyl, looking at that big factory and reading those fantastic Waters' lyrics...It just became a 'top 5' album  somewhere in the back of my mind. I love albums which reprise themselves towards the end (such as The Mantle) and with Pigs on The Wing this album does it in excellent style.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 09:48:33 PM by Portrucci »
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2010, 08:01:09 PM »
Yanqui UXO > LYSF

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2010, 08:05:27 PM »
Honorable Mention: John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
In my opinion this is the best album by one of the best sax players ever.

5. Dream Theater - Train of Thought
The first Dream Theater I ever heard. My mom borrowed it from a friend and when I heard I knew I was in love.

4. Andrew W.K. - I Get Wet
Who doesn't love a concept album about partying?

3. Avenged Sevenfold - Waking the Fallen
Not many times do I turn down listening to a track off this album. I just love everything about it.

2. Brand New - Deja Entendu
My favorite album of my favorite band. This record has gotten me through some pretty tough times in the past few years.

1. Say Anything - ...Is a Real Boy
I don't what it is about this album, but I love every single song, and listen to at least one of them every day.

prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2010, 08:18:39 PM »
Yanqui UXO > LYSF
F#A# + Yanqui UXO x  Slow Riot  =  ??? profit
         LYSF
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2010, 08:20:31 PM »
Never could decide on something like this so I'll list my favorite album from my favorite bands in their respective order for the first few.

1. Liebe ist fuer alle da - Rammstein

This is my favorite album by my favorite band. It has such a great blend of melodies and styles, just with every other Rammstein record but this one is noticeably more epic, dark, heavier.

2. Metropolis Pt. 2 Scenes From A Memory - Dream Theater

Perfect.

3. Moving Pictures - Rush

The best Progressive Rock album ever. Nothing else to say.

4. Black Gives Way To Blue - Alice in Chains

Not a bad song on here, amazing live.

5. ...And Justice For All - Metallica

Last solid, angry Metallica album.

Honorable Mentions - Periphery's Self Titled album. Their first album came out this year (on my birthday, ironically) and it is amazing. I suggest everyone to check it out.

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence - Dream Theater
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 08:50:47 PM by DarkEternalNight »

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2010, 08:31:26 PM »
It took me a really long time to come up with five, but I think I have what I believe to be my personal top 5. (As long as I haven't forgotten anything)

Honorable Mention: The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

This album is the crowning achievement of the 1960s. I would also argue that one could say that Progressive Rock started here. This album has nothing but great tunes, and it culminates with one of the greatest songs ever written. The world will never fully realize how much it owes to this album.

5. Devin Townsend - Terria

Devin Townsend's masterpiece. I have be an active listener of Devin's for about five or six years now, and this album has been my favorite of his since the first time I heard it. There is not a single flaw in it, and it's flow and pacing is nothing short of musical bliss. The entire album for me represents a road, with all the bumps along the way, that all of us must face.

4. Yes - Close to the Edge

The three songs on this album are so jam packed with so many emotions that it is almost impossible to receive everything this album has to offer from one listen. The title track contains some of the most insane riffs ever thought up, "And You And I" takes the prize for the most beautiful song ever written, and "Siberian Khatru" is one of the most rockin' songs to come out of the classic Yes lineup.

3. Pink Floyd - Animals

This album will never, ever age. It has one of the most pragmatic sounding bookended songs ever, and it's middle songs contain some of the most experimental music that the band ever wrote. "Dogs" just reeks of pure raw Gilmour awesomeness, while the other two songs contain some of the most memorable riffs in music history. The personal highlight for me is "Pigs (Three Different Ones)", but my favorite thing about the album is how Waters' voice fades into the synthesizer at the end of each verse line of "Sheep".

2. Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans

Words cannot describe what this album has done for me at various parts of my life, so I have decided to just quote lonestar on this one.
The most beautiful of albums.  Four epic twenty minute songs, spanning the whole of human evolution, from us crawling out of the primordial oceans to a utopian future of eternal love. I think it's because it describes a path that all of us, are following.  There are spiritual moments in life that are required for a complete trancendence to a higher plane, and this album is the guidebook.

1. Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory

The best album ever recorded. There is absolutely nothing about this album that I would change, as from my perspective, it is flawless and there is not a single bad thing about it. The conceptual story is the most interesting thing ever written about for an album, the musical themes are the most intriguing pieces of music ever written, the use of samples is the most clever, and the musicianship is the strongest. The emotional intensity of "The Spirit Carries On" has left me feeling both inexplicable euphoria and unyielding misery, depending on my frame of mind whenever I listen to it. "Finally Free" is the greatest album closer to ever be written. In short, this album has defined my musical life, and I have written on DTF in the past that it is the crux of the two halves of it.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2010, 08:45:05 PM »
There was a period when I was 15 where I pretty much only listened to SFAM for several months straight. I'm just now, 4 years later, starting to listen to it again because I had burned myself out so badly.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2010, 08:49:07 PM »
There was a period when I was 15 where I pretty much only listened to SFAM for several months straight. I'm just now, 4 years later, starting to listen to it again because I had burned myself out so badly.

I had the same thing back in the day. Good times

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2010, 08:53:34 PM »
*nostalgia*

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2010, 09:04:35 PM »
1. Dream Theater - SDOIT
This album is the most diverse of all their discography. On the same album, you have their heaviest song, their best ballad and their longest epic. It was a very experimental album and blew my mind the first time I heard it. I still recall when I heard the instrumental section in The Glass Prison for the first time. I had never heard such a heavy and technical sound of my life, and I was absolutely blown away to see four guys playing their instrument at a level I had never seen before. That was definately a turning point in my musical tastes. Misunderstood, SDOIT and The Glass Prison are all top 10 songs for me, with Blind Faith not too far behind.
Favorite songs : The Glass Prison, Misunderstood, SDOIT

2. Metallica - Master of Puppets
It was the first Metallica album I bought. They haven't done anything better since the beginning of their carrer, and it will most likely never be topped.
Favorite songs : The Thing That Should Not Be, Master of Puppets, Battery

3. Transatlantic - SMPT:e
All of the Above, My New World, We All Need Some Light and Mystery Train. Nuff said.
Favorite songs : My New World, All of The Above, We All Need Some Light

4. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
This album is just mindblowing. Such simple songs, yet so powerful. I get chills everytime I listen to Wish You Were Here and Shine On You Crazy Diamond. The latter is one of the best songs ever written.
Favorite songs : Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Wish You Were Here, Wlecome To The Machine

5. The Dear Hunter - Act III : Life and Death
I have to say, I didn't know this band 6 months ago. I gave this album a listen after hearing about them on the forum, and it instantly blew my mind. I really like this kind of music and somewhat been seeking it but never found a band I liked. But TDH does it perfectly : short songs, catchy vocals and a mix between prog and radio friendly music (at least in my case, because it's the most radio friendly music I listen to). In whatever mood I am, I can listen to this album and finding myself enjoying it a lot.
Favorite songs : What It Means To Me Alone, Father, The Tank

Honorable mentions to :
Dream Theater - Images and Words, Awake, Scenes From A Memory
Pink Floyd - Animals
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Meshuggah - obZen
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 09:18:15 PM by Nic35 »
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2010, 09:07:44 PM »
Hell yeah The Dear Hunter! Glad to see more fans.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2010, 09:09:48 PM »
Hell yeah The Dear Hunter! Glad to see more fans.
It wouldn't make my all time top 10, but Act III is a unbelievably enjoyable album.  :heart it

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2010, 09:40:26 PM »
1. Agalloch - The Mantle

Although it often changes whether I prefer Ashes or The Mantle, As I am writing this I will probably say The Mantle is the best album of all time. The songs aren't as strong as on Ashes but the flow and progression of the whole album is such that it evoked so many emotions in me when I first heard it. At the end of those 68 minutes, when the dear skull is struck ominously, I was left with a feeling of undiluted awe and euphoria. There is no objective reasoning to this love, I could tell you about the complex acoustic layering, the song structures, the haunting atmosphere, but it makes no difference. This album will never move far from this position for the rest of my life

2. Ulver - Perdition City
Amazing mix of electronic & ambient music, with elements of jazz and triphop.
This album is very dark, and listening to it in headphones in a dark room at night is truly one of the best listening-experiences i've ever had.

3. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven

What can I say that has not already been said about this album. Although it's already considered the best post-rock album and perhaps the best album of the 00's I will expand a little further. On my first listen, it was like nothing I had ever heard before. An 80 minute album with four tracks of around 20 minutes. The way each tracks swells up to climax and then realeases and then builds creates so much tension, drama and emotion. As this is one of those bands whose (four) works are nearly all as good as each other, I could easily list F#A# at this position, but I heard LYSF first so it gets the spot. I have this album on vinyl (2000) and perhaps one day, I will give it to my son who is normally listening to his future robotic tunes and I'm sure he will be just as amazed as I was when he hears it.

4. Chroma Key - Graveyard Mountain Home

A somewhat strange choice, as this album is nowhere near as popular or even as highly rated by others, as are the rest on this list. I can't exactly explain why, but this is the 4th greatest album of all time. It's a quite unassuming record, a sort of art-rock/ambient/electronic album. Never has a opening track been so contrary to the majority of the album, it opens with a happy sounding track, but form then on it's actually very dark, with a constant "rainy" feel throughout. Easily the most relaxing album I have listened to, and I go back to it every time after a long shitty day. The samples, the Kevin Moore vocals and the minimalist keyboard work all combine to great something much greater than the sum of their parts. I would recommend this to most people, and most people wouldn't like it that much. But the once who do, will love it  :)

5. Pink Floyd - Animals

My fifth choice often changes and there are about 10 albums which could be interchangeable in this position, but I keep coming back to Animals. Although Wish You Were Here is Pink Floyd's best album, something about Animals just really gets me. Although the actual music is superb with all members typically on fire, what really creates this experience is the album cover and the lyrics. I know that may sound stupid, but when I listen to this album on vinyl, looking at that big factory and reading those fantastic Waters' lyrics...It just became a 'top 5' album  somewhere in the back of my mind. I love albums which reprise themselves towards the end (such as The Mantle) and with Pigs on The Wing this album does it in excellent style.[/size]

I only stopped to read this as I was scrolling past everything. Gets some :tup :tup from me.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2010, 10:29:13 PM »
1.) Avenged Sevenfold - City Of Evil

Been listening To it pretty much nonstop since it was released in 05. The relentless metal assault of the first 5 songs smack you in the face and force you to pay attention. Then you get, for my money the best power ballad with Seize The Day. The next 3 songs see progressive experimental touches by fusing full orchestra, flamenco guitar, and western guitars. Followed up by 2 powerhouse songs full of intensity and emotion to close the album up. I have a hard time seeing any other album being able to take this out of my number one.

2.) Between The Buried & Me - The Great Misdirect

Most people would say their best work is Colors. They are wrong. The Great Misdirect takes the technical wall of sound madness from Colors and focuses into prog-metal perfection. Be it the head bobbingly awesome riffs in Disease, Injury, Madness, the awesome wank fest from Swim To The Moon or the relaxing yet powerful Desert Of Song or anything else from it, you can't help but want more of it.

3.) Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory

There is not much that I can say that you have not heard before. But the parts that make this stick out to me the most are the the end of Fatal Tragedy, all of Home, the insanity of The Dance Of Eternity and The Spirit Carries On.

4.) Coheed & Cambria - In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3

This whole album is solid start to finish. A perfect fusion of pop and prog rock. If Opeth and My Chemical Romance made an album together it would probably sound like this.

5.) Metallica - Death Magnetic

This entire album is a punch in the face musically. But that's not why I chose it. I chose it because it just goes to show that after roughly a decade and a half of mediocre releases they could still do a straight forward metal album because they wanted to. Just like they wanted to release The Black Album, Load/Reload and St. Anger. They are a band that does what they want to. And if you don't like it... so fucking what.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2010, 11:05:56 PM »

5. The Flower Kings - Unfold The Future: Picking a favorite album by this band is REALLY tough, because it often circulates between Unfold The Future, Stardust We Are, and Paradox Hotel! However, when I was first discovering the wonderful music of Roine Stolt and company, UTF and SWA were instant favorites. SWA has classic epics and awesome catchy tunes, but UTF took that a step further and with newcomer Zoltan behind the drums, their music took a new twist and their longest album became something more than just a nod to classic prog with modern production. The symphonic sounds melding with jazz and fusion, as well as some harder-edged moments created and album that, while is daunting to sit and listen to all the way through, is a roller-coaster ride that gets my musical mind spinning!

4. Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence: Arguably my favorite DT album, it sits fairly in the middle of DT's career and marks a transitional period for the band and introduces more of their then-relatively new band member, Jordan, who, in my opinion, breathed new life into the band with his classically trained ears and hands! His touch is ALL over this album and even beyond the keyboard sounds themselves, his compositional work on here is just amazing. The title track sits in my top 5 DT tracks of all time, and the other five rank fairly high as well, especially "The Glass Prison", "The Great Debate" and "Disappear". This album sits just above (and sometimes with) Octavarium and Scenes From A Memory for favorite DT album.

3. Marillion - Marbles: Even though it's taken me a couple of years to really *get* Marillion and their music, one of the albums that I really loved initially was Marbles. The structure, the sound, the song variety, the powerful vocal moments, the smooth guitar work, the atmospheric keys... ALL of that and more made this album for me. The opening and closing tracks rank among my highest Marillion songs ever, as well as "Ocean Cloud". But beyond the epics, the shorter songs are all gems as well, from the more straight-rock sounds of "Genie" and "The Damage", to the ballads like "The Only Unforgivable Thing" and "Don't Hurt Yourself", the band really put out their strongest effort since Hogarth joined the band (although Seasons End and Brave are amazing, this album slightly edges it for me).

2. Spock's Beard - Snow: Noticing a pattern yet?  ;) The Beard's only double-album has some of the band's best-written songs, and that's hard for some prog bands to do these days - write SONGS, rather than sprawling epics. Now don't get me wrong, I love a rocking good 25 minute epic as much as the next person, but Neal and crew pumped out amazing performances over the course of 26 tracks which, for me, produced some great hooks and melodies. Some will say the second disc is full of filler, but I've come to see and understand the album as a whole, rather than a collection of tracks - it is, after all, a concept album. You can't really judge a book by one chapter on it's own, but rather try to understand each chapter as it relates to the entirety of the work. With Snow, there's always more to understand and feel, and the emotional changes that run through this album are so great that they make this album one of the best in recent years.

1. Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever: After the discovery of Dream Theater, I sought out more related projects, and about the time I discovered DT, I found out about Transatlantic (this was around 03-04)... only to find out they had disbanded after Neal's departure from secular prog. At any rate, when I bought SMPT:e and Bridge Across Forever, I was blown away, especially not having heard of Roine Stolt, Neal Morse or Pete Trewavas before Mike Portnoy and Dream Theater, so this music was quite different than the bands I had started with when breaking into prog rock (Rush and DT).
This album has since become a favorite of mine, because of this album, I have grown to love and enjoy the works by the band's individual members as well (thus the reasoning behind my previous 4 choices!), but this album... the bookending epics, the Beatles-esque sounds, and the powerfully beautiful (or beautifully powerful) title-track ballad just all blow me out of the water. "Stranger In Your Soul" still moves me every time I hear it, especially at the end. Hands down, one of the best prog albums in the last 20 years, and probably of the last decade!
The image posted is the Limited Edition because I have that one (in addition to the regular release), which has the bonus disc with a superb cover of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", as well as a couple of in-the-studio jams (I particularly enjoy their jam on "And I Love Her") and demos.

Honorable Mentions

The Beatles - The Beatles: Ahh yeah, I know, another double album, but hey, with many of them, you get more for your money, and this is another great example of another great double album! Classic after classic, and even many great obscure ones, this album comes after a rough period for the band, which, I think really helped them put out some of the band's best songs ever! Even though it's not like many prog/prog-related double-albums (which tend to be conceptual or thematic), it's SO easy for me to listen to this album from front to back, and hear each song in sequence because it just sounds SO good that way. I have favorite tracks like everyone else, but it's really hard for me to just hit play for ONE song on this album and not want to listen to the other 29 songs! (Yes, even "Revolution 9").

Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways: This is an album that really hooked me into early PT. I disocered PT when they released In Absentia but shortly after that album's release, I quickly bought the band's back catalog and of their prior 6 albums, this was (and still is) my favorite. It's a great balance between their earlier psychedlia and atmospheric sounds with a bit of what was to come (on albums like Signify and Stupid Dream). However, I do not listen to the album as it is on any of the 3 releases it's seen, but rather a combination of those track lists to create a comprehensive version of TSMS - TSMS Phase 1, Dislocated Day, Stars Die, Moonloop (Improvisation), Moonloop (Coda), The Moon Touches Your Shoulder, Prepare Yourself, TSMS Phase 2
(Fortunately enough, this mix fits onto one CD-r, but if it were vinyl, it'd totally be a double, or even triple album :lol - I did, however, make a companion disc to this mix that includes the Alternate Version of TSMS and the full 40:07 version of "Moonloop" from Transmission IV)

More Honorable Mentions (because I can't help myself...):

-Marc.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:52:36 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2010, 11:10:53 PM »

I had the same thing back in the day. Good times

When I transferred to a new high school I lost a credit so I had to make it up in four weeks of summer school. Each class was 6 hours long for a single subject. SFAM was my first DT album and I listened to it three times a day every single day for those four weeks. It saved my life, but I hardly ever listened to it since. Man, that was four years ago.

As for my top five, that will take a lot of standing at my CD shelf to figure out.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: Are you actually reading this? Seriously?
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2010, 11:55:58 PM »
Honorable mentions: Queens of the Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf, Coheed & Cambria - No World For Tomorrow, Dog Fashion Disco - Adultery, Shpongle - Nothing Lasts... But Nothing Is Lost, BT - This Binary Universe

When it comes to Nine Inch Nails, I guess I have two favorites. Musically, it's easily The Fragile, but for personal and emotional response, it's gotta be Year Zero here. After the disappointing With Teeth, Trent Reznor came out with guns blazing, creating this entire album on his laptop by himself whenever he wasn't physically onstage during the WT tour. Quite noisy, highly conceptual, fucking cool. Personal favorite moments? The electronic freakout of "The Great Destroyer", the overall beat of "Capital G", the bassline in "The Good Soldier", everything about "Survivalism", and the last 30 or so seconds of "The Beginning Of The End". This is just fun music.

That's right. Barenaked Ladies. Hands down my choice for greatest lyricists of the past 20 years, they can also craft an amazing song every now and then. There's the straight-ahead alt. rock of "Too Little, Too Late", the frantic wordplay of "Go Home", the unrestrained joy of "Humour Of The Situation", the aching self-loathing of "Helicopters"... Good God, why am I not listening to this as we speak? Anyway, this is my favorite BNL for the quality of songs, their overall cohesiveness, and the subtle touches of an overall story through this one (Yes, before you ask, every album on here is a concept album). It didn't have a "One Week", but Stunt didn't have "Pinch Me", either. Fuck it, I'm putting this on right now.

Anybody who's been on this board for a while knows of my undying love for Poe's Haunted, the tragically unknown album that changes layers of its story almost as much as it changes genres. In my mind, this was the pinnacle of the 90's chick rock trend. For some one-off listening, try out "Control", "Hey Pretty" or "Not A Virgin". Then, get into the album as a whole and prepare to be blown away by the folk/electronica "Wild", the creepy ballad "5 1/2 Minute Hallway", and the standout title track. This album blows my mind every time I play it.

Say what you will, but considering this was the first true heavy metal album I ever listened to after 18 years of Christian worship music, it holds a special place in my heart just for that. What propels it to #2 is how damn GOOD it is. Listen to "The Beautiful People", "Little Horn", "1996" or "The Reflecting God" and see if your ass isn't skewed to your chair, and then contrast that with the ballad-like "Man That You Fear" to close the album out. This is dark, angry, asskicking music which ALSO tells a great story, set up as the third and final part of a concept album that encompassed the two albums released after this (Yeah, you read that right. The first album FINISHES the story). Just awesome.

What can I say that hasn't already been said?
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2010, 12:21:12 AM »
1. Björk - Debut

Creativity in its freshest form. This albums is filled to the brim with energy and genius.

2. Chroma Key - Graveyard Mountain Home

No album has ever sounded, nor will ever sound anything like this. Wide and spacious, with plenty to pay attention to, or just to have on while working.

3. Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane

One of the most powerful, heartfelt albums in existence. Daniel Gildenlöw's vocal performance is legendary. Creativity and passion abound.

4. Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News

Simply fantastic. The track "Bukowski" very well may have changed my life.

5. Porcupine Tree - Signify

The bright, bleak, shining, and melancholy definition of british underground art music.

Offline Fnejk

« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2010, 01:24:57 AM »

'nuf said!

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2010, 01:52:39 AM »
4. Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News

Really? Even over Lonesome Crowded West?

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2010, 02:11:29 AM »
1. Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element
2. Jeff Buckley - Grace
3. CunninLynguists - A Piece of Strange
4. 65daysofstatic - The Fall of Math
5. Tool - Lateralus

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2010, 02:29:57 AM »

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2010, 04:53:18 AM »

5.) Metallica - Death Magnetic

This entire album is a punch in the face musically. But that's not why I chose it. I chose it because it just goes to show that after roughly a decade and a half of mediocre releases they could still do a straight forward metal album because they wanted to. Just like they wanted to release The Black Album, Load/Reload and St. Anger. They are a band that does what they want to. And if you don't like it... so fucking what.

I completely agree with this, it's my 2nd/3rd favourite Metallica album.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2010, 05:24:19 AM »
They are a band that does what they want to.

Wow I didn't know this.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2010, 05:34:43 AM »
Released under my favourite music year of all time, it was an attempt to top The Beatles’ Rubber Soul album.
Was it not Revolver they were trying to one-up with Pet Sounds? Cos then McCarteney heard Pet Sounds and went "damn, we have to one-up that" and they made Sgt Peppers.

Or am I one album ahead of myself?

No I am pretty sure I've heard/read in interviews that it was Rubber Soul that blew Brian Wilson's mind and he wanted to top it with Pet Sounds. And then, as you said, Paul McCartney heard Pet Sounds and wanted to top that one with Sgt Pepper.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2010, 06:27:04 AM »
Ooooo....tough tough tough.

5. Sepultura - Arise
4. DreamTheater - Images & Words
3. AC~DC - Back In Black
2. Joe Satriani - Surfing With the Alien
1. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2010, 06:30:41 AM »
Edit: gross
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 01:58:13 PM by AcidLameLTE »

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2010, 06:54:21 AM »
Dream Theater - Octavarium - I Personally love every song on it, but the main reason why it is numero uno is because of ofc, the title track. Musical Perfection.
Metallica - ...And Justice for All - Their best album, 10 times better than MoP imo. Better lyrics, more agression, more progressive, better drumming, better everything
Mastodon - Crack the Skye - This release was a step above all the previous ones as they went very progressive while still remaing very heavy. Every track is a masterpiece.
Opeth - Watershed - The album that got me into Opeth gives it a little boost. But i think this album is the best work they have done. Blackwater Park nearly made the spot but i just like this one alot more. I love the whole victorian feel to the album.
Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory - As if you had to ask, second DT album in top 5, but hey they are my favourite band.