Author Topic: Creating your own DTS mixes?  (Read 1098 times)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Creating your own DTS mixes?
« on: May 22, 2010, 01:16:05 PM »
Does anyone know anything about creating your own DTS/5.1 surround sound mixes of albums you own? I've been seeing quite a few fan made DTS mixes by some bands I love (Elton John, Fleetwood Mac, etc) in additions to the ones that are sold at retail. I'd love to create some of my own so the sound can be optimized for my speaker setup, but I'm not quite sure where to begin, how long it will take, and if it is worth the effort. Anyone have any experience in this?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Creating your own DTS mixes?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 04:05:45 PM »
I've wanted to take the Black Clouds stems and make 5.1 mixes from them for a long time, but I've put the project on hold until I can get DVD-A technology available to me. As it is I could only do compressed 5.1, and frankly I'm not going to put that kind of work into something if it's going to sound like crap in the end.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 04:07:21 PM »
I've seen a 5.1 mix of Damnation around, I wondered how it was done too.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 05:33:42 PM »
I did see a 5.1 mix of A Nightmare to Remember on... a certain website... which was created from the stems. I didn't download it, but I'm curious as to how it sounds. Since the tracks were isolated, my guess is it probably sounds better than a lot of the other ones out there, or atleast has the potential to. The only downfall is that not everything in the song is present in the isolated tracks, IIRC.

And I guess there is a program called UpMix or something that helps with it, but when I downloaded it, it didn't open. I'm not even sure if its freeware or you need to purchase it, since it wouldn't even boot. :p