Author Topic: The Biscuit Merchant Thread (THE GRAND DESIGN RELEASED)  (Read 7334 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
The Biscuit Merchant Thread (THE GRAND DESIGN RELEASED)
« on: May 22, 2010, 07:50:53 AM »
Inspired by rumborak, I got to thinking. No one goes in the Musicians sub-forum. Plus, if Krotchraut can have a thread in here, so can I.  :P

OFFICIAL GUIDE TO THE BISCUIT MERCHANT: Personally, I feel all the albums I've released are awesome. Then again, I made them. However, for the listener who stumbles upon this thread thinking "Damn...6 albums now? Where the hell to begin?" Well, to you I say, go with A Dream of Sheep first. It's the most concise, fully realized, metallic offering I've done. That, and it's the shortest, so you won't be wasting too much time if you hate it. If you need more metal, hit up The Grand Design next, and then go in reverse order up to Journey to Arrhythmia. Journey is only for my die-hard fans (lol) who want to hear how it all began, awful (even worse than my good stuff) production and all. If you're up for a more mellow trip, go with my latest release, Harvest the Wind.

One can download all of my music right here.

Journey to Arrhythmia (December 2009)

1. Our Lady of Perpetual Motion (1:59)
2. City in the Sky (4:15)
3. Vanilla Soup (3:34)
4. Life Cycle: I. The Color of Childhood (5:35)
5. Life Cycle: II. The Shock of Reality (9:15)
6. Life Cycle: III. The Will To Survive (3:54)
7. Through the Mist (3:37)
8. Journey to Arrhythmia (2:24)
9. Denim Obsession (4:12)
10. Rivers of Red (10:05)

https://www.megaupload.com/?d=SIEPQBB3

Alternate Universe (March 2010)

1. Sunrise (2:46)
2. The Death of Peace (6:14)
3. Enraged (5:39)
4. Alternate Universe (5:53)
5. Office of Superficial Indulgence (4:43)
6. Afterlife (24:00)

https://www.mediafire.com/?zn2hjiiqwtw

Chaos & Discord (May 2010)

1. Ladybug's Final Moments (7:24)
2. Pharaoh's Rising (7:03)
3. Soothing Winds (3:30)
4. The Crimson Dance (6:45)
5. Hookline (4:52)
6. Chaos & Discord (4:26)
7. Electric Wasteland (6:18)
8. Spider's Ultimate Triumph (6:23)

https://www.mediafire.com/?mumkugnzdyy

A Dream of Sheep (October 2010)

1. Death Machine (4:28)
2. Breakfast of Champions (3:58)
3. Laser Tissue Eradication (4:48)
4. The Machine Never Sleeps (6:05)
5. Absence of Light (5:06)
6. Vehicles of Self-Loathing (4:17)
7. Zombie Sheep Apocalypse (9:09)
         I. Of Wool and Man (0:00)
         II. Sheep Revolt! (2:07)
         III. The Final Battle For Ewemanity (3:58)
         IV. A Dream of Sheep (The New Age) (7:13)

https://www.mediafire.com/?5oln16cuuc24c6j (Awesome art by Hyperplex)

Harvest the Wind (March 2011)

1. Miracle (6:57)
2. Refresh (4:59)
3. Shadows (4:34)
4. Solar (4:39)
5. Lunar (6:11)
6. Snow Maiden (6:23)
7. Void (5:42)
8. Harvest the Wind (6:26)

Artwork by Rafael Guerra.
https://www.mediafire.com/?76tf6uphz4913dx

The Grand Design (April 2011)

1. Bite the Bullet (3:43)
2. Sink Rate (9:04)
3. Pharaoh's Revenge (7:09)
4. Souls on Board (10:03)
5. Cyclone of Stupidity (Riversong) (4:00)
6. The Grand Design (22:51)
      I. Birth of the Creator (0:00)
      II. Dawn of the Possessor (5:04)
      III. Peaceful Coexistence (10:35)
      IV. Descent Into Chaos (11:33)
      V. Everlasting Conflict (18:07)

https://www.mediafire.com/?rkcvtpso12pyqgp

Artwork by Rafael Guerra.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 05:13:34 PM by Ultimetalhead »
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: THE BISCUIT MERCHANT Thread (My solo project)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 05:44:46 AM »
I strongly support you and rumborak's decisions to post in non-Musician's subforums. That thing was an ailing dinosaur less than a month after its debut and it defeats its own purpose through its lack of activity. PLEASE guys let's get a movement going to allow members to post their creative works in General Discussion(all non-music, lyrics optional) and General Music Discussion(all music, once again lyrics optional.)

Not trying to be a dissenter but if we really wanna give members a fair shot at exposure at least give them the option to post as indicated in the above paragraph and keep the Musician's subforum open as well as a compromise.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 07:55:49 AM »
I downloaded the first album.  Posting an individual song or two on youtube or the service Rumby used would be helpful so that we can check out your best work (at least what you think it is) instead of having to get an entire album.

You can shred, but I think it's time you get with a real drummer and bass player.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 08:06:50 AM »
You can shred, but I think it's time you get with a real drummer and bass player.
Would if I could, man. I live in an area completely barren of musical talent.

Also, if you're really only up for one album, get Chaos & Discord. It has better drum sounds and the songwriting is MUCH better.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE BISCUIT MERCHANT Thread (NEW ARTWORK REVEALED)
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 09:37:03 PM »
So, Hyperplex made me some bitchin' artwork for the new album on the way before the end of the year. It's fucking sweet.  :tup

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 09:38:38 PM »
A DREAM OF SHEEP  :metal :metal :metal
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 11:29:53 PM »
Downloading Chaos & Discord right now. :tup

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE BISCUIT MERCHANT Thread (NEW ALBUM OCTOBER 15th)
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 03:14:48 PM »
So, album in about a week. Don't get too excited now.  :D

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Re: THE BISCUIT MERCHANT Thread (NEW ALBUM OCTOBER 15th)
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 03:58:04 PM »
Will definitely check out.  :tup

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE BISCUIT MERCHANT Thread (A DREAM OF SHEEP RELEASED)
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 05:55:35 PM »
Well, the time has finally come. A Dream of Sheep has been released to the general public. I don't want to fall into the artist's pitfall of saying that every new release is the best thing I've ever done, but I seriously believe it this time. I deliberately sat on this one a little bit longer to iron out some filler and make sure these songs are the best they can be. I believe this is a fully realized album that, while a little bit short, is extremely concise and consistent. I hope you enjoy it.

Death Machine: This song was the very first written for the album, full of thrashy riffs and a blistering solo. The song is about a giant mechanical behemoth which may or may not wield chainsaws.

Breakfast of Champions: A more experimental song. It's in D# locrian, which is a little bit out there (Nobody uses locrian very much, sadly) for some. Song's not really about anything, but I'm fond of the phrase.

Laser Tissue Eradication: Back to the full-on thrash attack. This song was written about a dental procedure my sister went through, where they incinerated her gums with lasers to let teeth through. I figured it was suitably brutal enough to write a song about.

The Machine Never Sleeps: Another experimental track. The intro is achieved using a very slow delay setting, allowing me to harmonize over myself. I love the way it sounds. The rest of the song is about a sentient machine bent on controlling humanity.

Absence of Light: This song was written after an extensive period of listening to Black Sabbath. The opening riff was the first thing I played, and the rest of the song followed. The ending tag was something written much later. The song alludes to the Black Sabbath influence. (Absence of light, black, get it?)

Vehicles of Self-Loathing: Ah yes, the odd times are strong in this one. Very Meshuggah inspired. Not really any specific theme for this one, but it sounded pretty angry and raging, so the title fits.

Zombie Sheep Apocalypse: This is, as they say, the one. The big epic that finishes off the album on the highest note possible. The title is a response to the horror-comedy film "Black Sheep". Watching it with DTF members, it was this night that I decided that my next album would be called A Dream of Sheep, and that the final song would be this one. It's about sheep taking over the world.

So, let me know what you think about this album. I'm sure as hell proud of it.  :metal

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 07:05:40 PM »
lol ewemanity :lol

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 06:41:25 AM »
There's totally an awesome Facebook page that you can like and shit. I'm going to work on getting some individual songs up on teh YouTubes soon.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Biscuit-Merchant/118683404873699

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 10:16:41 AM »
So, I've released a new album called Harvest the Wind. It's full of clean guitar music. Some of the songs are very happy sounding, but others have a bit of an ominous, dreary feeling to them. Check it out and give feedback if you're cool.  :tup

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
Re: The Biscuit Merchant Thread (HARVEST THE WIND RELEASED)
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 07:54:09 PM »
I just downloaded Harvest the Wind (I really like the title btw). I'm going to listen to it as I go out tonight as I drive out, and I'll try to finish it tonight.

(I'm going to release my album soon also so I fully support ya :tup)
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
Sweet. Feedback is excellent.  :metal

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 08:24:24 PM »
As I said in the last thread, I quite liked it. 

Offline Volk9

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 08:47:35 PM »
Sweet. Feedback is excellent.  :metal

Got through the first four songs so I'll give my brief feedback (I gotta study for finals, so it'll be quick)

First off, I absolutely love the sound, guitar tone, picking, soloing, everything about it. Its very melodic and soothing, while at the same time full of emotion. Technicality and emotion working together perfectly, as it should. I was listening to a lot of the riffs and thought of making a breakbeat remix of some :P

Miracle is, out of the four I listened to, my least favorite. I think that for too long it never went anywhere, although when the main stuff starts around 3:00 (i think), its really good. Also, I woud've preferred it if the rain effect wasnt in the whole way through. But dont worry, because Refresh quickly made realize I had found gold. As my second favorite song, I found it really relaxing, yet not boring. The guitar work here is excellent and very nice to listen too. This is really where I saw the "technicality + emotion" statement I made shine through. Shadow also took this course, but instead of being soothing and relaxing, it was much more aggressive. I'd be suprised if you said it wasnt inspired by some sort of metal (Metallica?). Funny, because it doesnt feel at all out of place after the relaxing sonds of Refresh; and its also a great song to boot :tup Finally, we come to my favorite song so far, Solar. I honestly give this song a 5 out of 5. An absolute beauty to listen to in every way. I can see myself listening to this on long drives on the moonlit highway  /poetry

Anyways, I'll give the rest a listen later, but I really like what you're doing. Definately keep it up :tup

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 08:53:04 PM »
Awesome stuff, Volk. I'm glad that you like it so much! I really love Miracle, but it's definitely the most self-indulgent on the album. I won't spoil anything about the rest of the album for you, but if you liked Solar and Refresh the most, I'm sure you'll find plenty to love.

Oh, and that's easily the most detailed review I've ever gotten of any of my material. You make me happy.  :D

Offline Volk9

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 08:55:56 PM »
Oh, and that's easily the most detailed review I've ever gotten of any of my material. You make me happy.  :D

No problem :tup And I've only gotten halfway through, haha

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 05:00:54 AM »
MOAR LISTENERS

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 07:28:24 PM »
Thoughts on the rest of the album, Volk?

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 07:47:08 PM »
I think I'll listen tonight.   :tup

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 08:16:41 PM »
Posting to remind myself to check this out later (just been way too busy lately)

Offline Volk9

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 08:21:50 PM »
Ah, my bad. I had listened to the rest (twice actually), but never got around to posting. Lets see where I left off...

Lunar- Opening reminds me of Metallica, until the soloing comes in. If I could describe the flavor, it would be a "Space-cowboy feelin' the blues". Yup, that sounds about right. I love the "twang" the solo has around 3:00. The song is very relaxing in its atmospere and melody, but it has "inner conflict" written all over it if im listening correctly. Oh, and I really like the backing riff that comes in around 4:15.

Snow Maiden- Dammit, now I have another favorite song  :) Its almost tropically-spaced out in how it sounds. Sounds like a bit like spanish-like picking. Heres the thing UMH; I've noticed you have a certain and distinct style and tone with your guitar. I could probably tell your sytle of playing blindfolded. I think that here, in this song (next to my favorite Refresh), you fully accomplish that sound, and it sounds, for lack of better word, perfect. I love it. Nothing more to say.

Void- At first I didnt think I would like this song, but I would rank it the last in my favorites (which still means its still a favorite!) See, by its title, I would assume it would be too ambient, disonant, with random sounds few and far between (I know, I need to stop listening to free improv and avant garde). I really liked it. It does sound like a person sitting alone with their thoughts, just kind of pondering and wondering to themselves. I like how the fast picking takes more of a background role, which accentuates the atmosphere rather than sound like a forefront technical solo. And 3:40 onwards is great.

Harvest the Wind- I like the opening. It undoubtedly screams "fun". The 2:00 riff and accompanying solo is nice and really sounds like an album closer to me. Greaet job on here ending the album on a happy, fun, and upbeat note. I think it really works for the cd. The album as a whole is black and/or white, dark nor light. It balances in between each without crossing either boundry. I think thats something that you can be proud of in your album. While its neutral for the most part, its not a gray and boring gray, but rather a gray that lets others fill in the gaps with their own personal perspective.

Favorites

Refresh
Solar
Snow Maiden
Void

Least Favorite

Miracles

Album Rating: 9/10

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 08:26:24 PM »
Great to hear, Volk. I'm glad you were able to grasp my artistic vision so well as to put it into words.  :D

Offline Volk9

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 08:58:05 PM »
Anytime bro :tup

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2011, 03:24:43 PM »
New song posted in the OP from the upcoming metal adventure, "The Grand Design". The song is called Sink Rate, and the album cover is up as well.

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2011, 03:29:50 PM »
Plus, if Krotchraut can have a thread in here, so can I.  :P
:caffeine: Yeah! We were mentioned by someone other than us, Zook!

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2011, 04:08:43 PM »
Harvest The Wind is really cool. I am not too great at analyzing music, but I appreciate the great ideas in the music and I am always surprised by the amount of different methods, sounds and mentalities that Biscuit Merchant albums have. This album is certainly not very metal, but it has a "metal mentality". The tunes have a lot of soul. I really like the sounds of water/rain in the first tracks. Also, artwork has improved a lot!  :)
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2011, 04:28:06 PM »
Harvest The Wind is really cool. I am not too great at analyzing music, but I appreciate the great ideas in the music and I am always surprised by the amount of different methods, sounds and mentalities that Biscuit Merchant albums have. This album is certainly not very metal, but it has a "metal mentality". The tunes have a lot of soul. I really like the sounds of water/rain in the first tracks. Also, artwork has improved a lot!  :)
I do wonder who is responsible for the artwork improvement. :p

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2011, 10:03:51 PM »
Miracle - I love the sound of rain.  This song was extremely soothing.  It has a really strong, familiar vibe, but I can't place what it reminds me of.  Maybe Clapton, I don't know.

Refresh - More rain?  At this rate, this will become a favorite album to fall asleep to.  (Not cuz it's boring, you idiot, because it's soothing!)  This also feels a little old-school, like back in the days of bluesy rock-and-roll before it all became so diversified and complicated.

Shadows - Somewhat ominous.  An interesting mood change.  The title is a very appropriate descriptor of the song.

Solar - More lighthearted, with another appropriate title. It feels kind of spacey.

Lunar - This has a vaguely foreboding aura of mystery to it. 

Snow Maiden - Pretty.  Groovy.  Like it can't make up its mind which it wants to be more.

Void - These names are uncanny.  This has a very empty, deliciously depressing feel to it.  This might be my favorite one so far.

Harvest the Wind - Starts out like a music box, and then there's this weird-but-kinda-awesome Pinball Wizard section.  This one has more energy than the rest of them, I think, but without breaking the overall tone of sooooooooothiiiiiiiiiiiing. 

Overall, this is not the kind of music I'd have sought out on my own, but it's definitely worth the listen.  Void in particular will probably find rotation on my iTunes shuffle playlist, as well as Miracles, Shadows, and maybe Lunar.  The rest would be useful as some nice background music while working on something else...you know, keeps my ears from getting bored without being too engaging.  A perk of this kind of instrumental music is that you can't lose focus on your work out of a desperate need to sing along. 

I think this one is probably my second favorite Biscuit Merchant, right behind A Dream of Sheep.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 04:56:07 AM »
Awesome. Glad you liked it.  :tup The main solo in Miracle is definitely where my Gilmour influence comes in, but I can see a bit of Clapton in it as well.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Biscuit Merchant Thread (THE GRAND DESIGN RELEASED)
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2011, 04:38:32 PM »
Link posted for The Grand Design in the OP. Download, comment, and enjoy.  :metal

Offline Volk9

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2011, 08:44:43 PM »
 :heart Refresh

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2011, 09:53:41 AM »
Shameless self-bump. I'm going to be playing with another guitar player and a drummer for some graduation parties in the next week or so. We're going to be playing mostly original jazzy stuff, but I'm definitely looking to perform some of the more light-hearted songs from Harvest the Wind. Refresh and Snow Maiden are definitely going to be played. I'll try to get someone to record video.