Author Topic: Attention all Guitarists that play Petrucci's solos...  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Stratgtar565

Attention all Guitarists that play Petrucci's solos...
« on: May 23, 2010, 02:02:41 PM »
How on earth do you remember the solos? I have no problem playing the actual songs themselves, but I can never remember the solos. They're all over the place, and it always escapes me what frets to play on, even after practicing the solos for weeks. Does anyone have any tips on remembering certain crazy solos such as the crazy one in Metropolis Pt. 1? Thank you for your time.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
Re: Attention all Guitarists that play Petrucci's solos...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 02:18:33 PM »
Listen to the song A LOT, and I often play it many times with the Guitar Pro file playing at the same time as me so I can have a scrolling tab. Eventually, but with stuff like Metropolis it will take a long time, it will stick in your head.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 02:24:07 PM »
Play them a lot. Play along with the song a lot. Practice the solos in parts, not the solo as a whole.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 02:58:37 PM »
yeah, im not a guitarist but deffinatly listen to them A LOT. as i said i dont play guitar but i could basicly sing every guitar part that JP plays. im sure once you get that nailed in. the solos will come a lot easier

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 05:29:32 PM »
Play them a lot. Play along with the song a lot. Practice the solos in parts, not the solo as a whole.
Disagreed. If you're having trouble with remembering how to play a solo, breaking it up is the wrong thing to do. By playing it a lot as a whole, you pound the patterns into your brain. I've never had an issue with remembering how to play any solo. I have a really good memory though, so maybe that's it.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 06:38:38 PM »
^ If you're trying to remember a soliloquy in a play for example, you're probably not going to memorize the whole thing straight through. You'll divide it into parts and then string the parts together, since all most solos are like a soliloquy in that they have phrases and sentence-like structures. I think the same approach applies to a guitar solo. But I've never really had trouble memorizing solos since I 1) know the songs so well through excessive listening and 2) have the tabs sitting in front of me.

If you're talking about a complicated Petrucci-esque solo or unison, say the unison at the end of This Dying Soul, then learn the picking pattern that gets repeated throughout the part. That's really all it is is a few different picking patterns moved around about the neck in compliance with the scale/key used.

Offline Stratgtar565

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 06:28:45 PM »
Yeah, I could sing basically all of the guitar parts on each album if I wanted to (I listen to DT a LOT). I'm just having trouble commiting the solos to memory. But, I'll try these tips out. Thanks!

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 08:39:08 PM »
I've just heard the songs so much that memorization isn't a problem.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 08:56:06 AM »
i could basicly sing every guitar part that JP plays.

Post a video of you singing the solo of As I Am in 3...2...1... GO!

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 01:05:40 AM »
i could basicly sing every guitar part that JP plays.

Post a video of you singing the solo of As I Am in 3...2...1... GO!
I vote 'In the Name of God'.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 11:09:25 AM »
Never had many issues remembering his solos, and by now I think our repertoire is about 20 DT songs. I find JP writes very "visual" solos, i.e. patterns that you just follow through.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."