Author Topic: Bono injured; U2 summer tour up in the air?  (Read 6721 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Bono injured; U2 summer tour up in the air?
« on: May 21, 2010, 01:32:25 PM »
https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=10709729

CANNES, France (Reuters) - U2 lead singer Bono had emergency surgery on his back in a Munich hospital on Friday after being injured while preparing for the next leg of a world tour, the first date of which has been postponed.

The 50-year-old from Ireland had been getting ready for the North American leg of the "360 Degree" world tour which had been due to kick off in Salt Lake City on June 3, according to a statement first released to Reuters.

Any lengthy disruption would be a blow both to fans and to Live Nation, the concert company which has a major deal to handle U2's merchandising, digital and branding rights as well as touring.

The band's website confirmed that Salt Lake City had been postponed.

Paul McGuinness, the group's longstanding manager, hinted that the injury could cause further postponements.

---------

Ouch.  Though I have never needed back surgery, I can testify that back pain is the worst.  Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for one of rock's best singers and front men!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Bono injured; U2 summer tour up in the air?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 02:09:10 PM »
Yeah, that sucks.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 02:46:53 PM »
Maybe his back finally gave out under the weight of his massive head

:p
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 02:47:43 PM »
Maybe his back finally gave out under the weight of his massive head

:p

This.

But in all seriousness, I hope he gets better, he is a great singer, albeit an asshole.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 03:12:07 PM »
Why is he an asshole?

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 03:25:18 PM »
Why is he an asshole?

Just shy of Tom Cruise-caliber self-assumed god status. Also makes claims to records he didn't set.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 03:31:04 PM »
Obviously I hope he's okay but couldn't care less about how the band or Live Nation is affected because the thought of listening to U2 makes me throw up a little.

I'm also curious about how he injured his back badly enough to have emergency surgery while preparing for the tour  ???
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 05:52:09 PM »
Obviously I hope he's okay but couldn't care less about how the band or Live Nation is affected because the thought of listening to U2 makes me throw up a little.

I'm also curious about how he injured his back badly enough to have emergency surgery while preparing for the tour  ???

this.
I hope he's fine too so he can find a nation, and run for office there, and get badly defeated.
I wouldn't cross the street to spit on U2, it would be a waste of spit.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 05:55:44 PM »
Iīm no expert but I think backpain can attack very fast: youīre fine and 1 second later your face is disfigured because of the pain and you canīt move at all. At least thatīs what has happened to me a couple of times (not bad enough to need surgery, though).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 10:31:45 PM »
Why is he an asshole?

Just shy of Tom Cruise-caliber self-assumed god status. Also makes claims to records he didn't set.

Examples?

Oh, and if we starting counting what rock stars have a god complex, it is gonna be a long list.

Given how animated and physical he historically is on stage, I am gonna go out on a limb and say his back has probably acted up over the years at times, and he probably did something that finally caused it to completely go out.  With backs, you never can tell.  Back pain is the worst.

I hope he's fine too so he can find a nation, and run for office there, and get badly defeated.

I find is astonishing how much people hate a guy who has done so much good over the years.  OMG, he gets involved in politics and whatnot instead of just sticking to music!  He is the devil!!!!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 10:39:25 PM »
Honestly, one thing I do really like about him is how he will actively speak up and defend his faith.

Of course, then he goes and acts like a dick which is kind of basically the worst possible way a Christian can act, ruining it.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 10:53:44 PM »
I am still curious as to why he is an asshole and how he acts like a dick. ???

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 11:07:14 PM »

I remember when one of their newer albums came out, someone asked him about the criticism about their style changing a lot and he basically said "fuck the old fans, this is the new U2" or something to that effect.
space cadet, pull out.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 11:50:53 PM »
Why is he an asshole?

Examples?

Oh, and if we starting counting what rock stars have a god complex, it is gonna be a long list.

This: https://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/111250

So once enough people do something assholey it makes it no longer assholey?

Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 07:11:23 AM »

I remember when one of their newer albums came out, someone asked him about the criticism about their style changing a lot and he basically said "fuck the old fans, this is the new U2" or something to that effect.

Basically?  Something to that effect?  Sorry, man, but that sounds like a really bad paraphrasing job on your part.  I would be shocked if Bono actually ever said those actual words.  But if you can find a source, I'll believe you.  Until then, I am skeptical.

Why is he an asshole?

Examples?

Oh, if South Park rips on you, which I am guessing that is what that link is to (like I am gonna waste my time watching a whole episode), then it must be accurate, right??? Lol

In regards to your second comment, having a god complex doesn't automatically make you an asshole, unless you insist on being judgmental and assuming so.

Also, still waiting on what records he claims to have set that he didn't...

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 07:16:44 AM »
A musician is perfectly entitled to do this. Especially if the expectations of their older fans are closed off and ridiculous. There are few things I respect more in musicians than not being afraid to change their sound, even if their fanbase might attack them. In a lot of cases, it shows they're serving the music above all else.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 07:18:22 AM »
A musician is perfectly entitled to do this. Especially if the expectations of their older fans are closed off and ridiculous. There are few things I respect more in musicians than not being afraid to change their sound, even if their fanbase might attack them. In a lot of cases, it shows they're serving the music above all else.

This.

Oh, and linking to a South Park episode is not a valid argument.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 07:20:56 AM »

True.  Now, saying, "fuck the old fans," would be going too far, but there is nothing wrong with the spirit behind it.  It's funny how certain musicians are lauded for being brutally honest, while others are castigated for it.

People can hate Bono and U2 all they want, but their radical change in sound in the 90s was one of the most daring moves ever made by a rock band.  Considering how popular they were, they put it all at risk by changing their sound, and it paid off.  Most bands that popular would never risk it like that. 

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 10:43:24 AM »
Hope he gets well soon. He's a great frontman.

And I never understood the hate for the guy either.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 12:26:48 PM »

DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 12:41:36 PM »
Bono always came off as cocky, but then a lot of rock stars do.

Hope he gets better soon.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 01:34:02 PM »
Bono always came off as cocky, but then a lot of rock stars do.
Pretty much this.  I was never really sure about how he really came off as a total dick.  Doesn't change that episode of South Park from being hilarious though, if a horrible piece of "evidence" to present in this argument.  I'm actually curious to see some quotes and sources though.

Haven't really cared for much post-80s U2, but hope he gets better.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 01:40:19 PM »
This sucks, seeing U2 was like a religious experience. I'd definitely pay to see them again.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 05:18:09 PM »

Totally missed the point. I agree that there is absolutely nothing wrong with changing your sound and U2 managed to make it work and more power to them for that.

Telling fans to fuck off because they don't like it is just a dick move, and more than qualifies you for asshole status.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2010, 05:38:34 PM »
We've seen what happens when a singer tours with back pain (Phil Collins, anyone?), so it'd probably be in Bono/U2's best interest to postpone/cancel whatever dates he needs to properly recover

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 06:46:41 PM »
I'm definitely with Kev here, I have never seen any examples proving that he is an asshole in any way. He definitely is very self-confident, maybe slightly too much, but you can't have a shy and reserved frontman in this kind of band. But I've never heard anything that would make me consider him an asshole in any way possible, quite the opposite, I've always been under the impression he's still quite normal for a person with this kind of fame.

My best wishes for him, I hope it will go well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2010, 07:14:27 PM »
Telling fans to fuck off because they don't like it is just a dick move, and more than qualifies you for asshole status.

I still don't believe he said that.  Like I said before, what you said sounds like a bad paraphrasing job.

And let's say for the sake of argument that he DID say that...does that one comment automatically make him an asshole?  What if that is the only comment he has ever made like that?  Would that one comment in a 30-year career define him as a person?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2010, 08:58:07 PM »
Bono is nothing but a great person and a great rock star. I hope he gets better.  The end.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2010, 11:27:44 PM »

I still don't believe he said that.  Like I said before, what you said sounds like a bad paraphrasing job.

And let's say for the sake of argument that he DID say that...does that one comment automatically make him an asshole?  What if that is the only comment he has ever made like that?  Would that one comment in a 30-year career define him as a person?

You know what.. you're actually right. I really don't have any good reason to think that he is a jerk.
space cadet, pull out.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2010, 05:36:42 AM »
Why is he an asshole?

Examples?

Oh, if South Park rips on you, which I am guessing that is what that link is to (like I am gonna waste my time watching a whole episode), then it must be accurate, right??? Lol

In regards to your second comment, having a god complex doesn't automatically make you an asshole, unless you insist on being judgmental and assuming so.

Also, still waiting on what records he claims to have set that he didn't...

If you'd seen the episode you'd find the humor in my comment :chill

Regarding the god complex, it does automatically make you an asshole since if you behave in a manner suggesting you feel more important/superior to others than you're displaying a great bit of arrogance and even regular levels of arrogance can make someone an asshole.

Not to personally attack you but why are you always so surly and condescending in your debates? I like you as a poster and have enjoyed your input in the NFL thread a good bit and we've always had a good rapport with one another but it can rub folks the wrong way sometimes when you go 0-60 on your intensity in the context of your rebuttals.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2010, 08:50:25 AM »
You know what.. you're actually right. I really don't have any good reason to think that he is a jerk.

I honestly cannot tell if you are being sarcastic here or not.  :biggrin: :corn

Not to personally attack you but why are you always so surly and condescending in your debates? I like you as a poster and have enjoyed your input in the NFL thread a good bit and we've always had a good rapport with one another but it can rub folks the wrong way sometimes when you go 0-60 on your intensity in the context of your rebuttals.

I am sorry if that if that is how you feel I am come off sometimes, but I can assure that that is not my intention.  I have never hidden the fact that I have strong opinions, and I often express them in a strong manner, which is why I often will throw in a few emoticons, as to try and tone down the overall content and make it seem less forceful than the words by themselves might appear.  If we were having this conversation in person, I would be saying it in an assertive tone, but smiling and being very friendly about it.  Really.  So, again, I am sorry if I come across that way to you, but all I ask is you take what I have just said into consideration in the future. :)

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2010, 09:15:54 AM »

• DT.net Member
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2010, 09:45:29 AM »
I am sorry if that if that is how you feel I am come off sometimes, but I can assure that that is not my intention.  I have never hidden the fact that I have strong opinions, and I often express them in a strong manner, which is why I often will throw in a few emoticons, as to try and tone down the overall content and make it seem less forceful than the words by themselves might appear.  If we were having this conversation in person, I would be saying it in an assertive tone, but smiling and being very friendly about it.  Really.  So, again, I am sorry if I come across that way to you, but all I ask is you take what I have just said into consideration in the future. :)

No hard feelings chief. I guess text has its shortcomings as to how accurately it can convey one's thoughts/feelings/context.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2010, 09:50:19 AM »

I honestly cannot tell if you are being sarcastic here or not.  :biggrin: :corn

I was being quite serious, I don't even know why I didn't like him, people must have said something to me a while ago about him being a jerk and I always just remembered it.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2010, 10:22:31 PM »
  I guess text has its shortcomings as to how accurately it can convey one's thoughts/feelings/context.

Yep, often times, they look like just words on the screen, which really is why I often use emoticons.  I know how strongly I offer my opinions at times, so I try to keep it a bit light-hearted with the emoticons and whatnot. :)

I was being quite serious, I don't even know why I didn't like him, people must have said something to me a while ago about him being a jerk and I always just remembered it.

Gotcha. :tup :tup