Author Topic: Music and Life  (Read 4263 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Music and Life
« on: May 20, 2010, 06:25:23 PM »
After doing my top twenty influential albums, I was curious to see how music affected the personal lives of other forum members.  No need to get as deeply personal as I did, but what songs or albums deeply affected your personal life, and how?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Music and Life
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 08:54:19 PM »
I had a bad break up with a girl and we were togther for amost 4 years and I played Survivor's Broken Promises a billion times wallowing in my sadness.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 09:18:55 PM »
I haven't told this to many people but fuck it dude, it's time for me to tell the story I guess. Three years ago I was ready to commit suicide. I had invested a ton of time in this one girl and she lead me on, only to tell me that she wanted nothing to do with me and to never talk to her again (that's a long story in itself, I don't feel like telling that one). That alone would be nothing to me right now but back then it hit me really hard. Then, my best friend was killed in a hit and run. He was like an older brother to me, seeing him on his deathbed devastated me. A week after that, my dad had a heart attack and nearly died right in front of me. Once again, seeing him on what I thought was his deathbed tore me apart. I had also been bullied by this one person for a while and all these things combined forced me to the edge.

Now I know this may make me come off as weak to all of you and I admit, I was very weak at that time. But I was 14 and I hadn't been through much and I was mentally weak. Anyways, during this time I spent hours in my room writing music. I churned out song after song, writing about the different events going on in my life and it was very therapeutic for me. I didn't trust anyone enough at the time to talk to them so getting my thoughts on paper was the only way for me to vent and it really helped me. Listening to music and knowing that my heroes had gone through some shit and came out of it stronger spurred me on too. I also found the right friend at the time and she was always there for me, we're still best friends now, and she helped me get out of my deep depression.

So, post in a nutshell, if it weren't for music, I probably wouldn't be here making this post. And I'm so thankful to music because soon after all this crap happened to me, my life turned around and now I'm living a better life than I could ever imagine.

Wow, that was relieving, writing all that.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 09:28:57 PM »
I haven't told this to many people but fuck it dude, it's time for me to tell the story I guess. Three years ago I was ready to commit suicide. I had invested a ton of time in this one girl and she lead me on, only to tell me that she wanted nothing to do with me and to never talk to her again (that's a long story in itself, I don't feel like telling that one). That alone would be nothing to me right now but back then it hit me really hard. Then, my best friend was killed in a hit and run. He was like an older brother to me, seeing him on his deathbed devastated me. A week after that, my dad had a heart attack and nearly died right in front of me. Once again, seeing him on what I thought was his deathbed tore me apart. I had also been bullied by this one person for a while and all these things combined forced me to the edge.

Now I know this may make me come off as weak to all of you and I admit, I was very weak at that time. But I was 14 and I hadn't been through much and I was mentally weak. Anyways, during this time I spent hours in my room writing music. I churned out song after song, writing about the different events going on in my life and it was very therapeutic for me. I didn't trust anyone enough at the time to talk to them so getting my thoughts on paper was the only way for me to vent and it really helped me. Listening to music and knowing that my heroes had gone through some shit and came out of it stronger spurred me on too. I also found the right friend at the time and she was always there for me, we're still best friends now, and she helped me get out of my deep depression.

So, post in a nutshell, if it weren't for music, I probably wouldn't be here making this post. And I'm so thankful to music because soon after all this crap happened to me, my life turned around and now I'm living a better life than I could ever imagine.

Wow, that was relieving, writing all that.

:( Hearty post.

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
Yeah it was hard for me to write but hey, it's all good. My life's better than I could have ever imagined. I have many close friends, I feel respected instead of bullied, and pretty soon I'll have a beautiful girl all to myself :) If anything I'm thankful I went through that. It's made me much stronger and able to take on basically anything.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 09:39:34 PM »
Good on you, Zeltard.

For me, I just have really strong associative memories with albums. Listening to them is like being in a time machine back to that period, it's really great.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 09:46:04 PM »
Wow.  Posting about listening to PT songs while wallowing in stupid girl-related sadness is kinda lame and insignificant in comparison to Zeltar's post.  Glad things have improved for you since then.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 10:08:32 PM »
I know you guys have heard this from me a million times, but this is a different musical angle to my breakup.

So yeah, my girlfriend and I broke up in Feb., blah blha I had always known it probably wouldn't last, blah blah we got closer and closer and I really loved her, blah blah broke up blah blah sad face.

Anyway, the day after I drove to Best Buy sometime between classes at my college. I had so many terrible emotions just pulsing in my head, and I wanted something to put everything onto. I didn't want to listen to any particular kind of music, I'm just a sensitive little flower and I wanted something to carry the weight of my thoughts for me.

So I go in and just start browsing the aisles. I had already decided I wanted two albums, and from bands I had not listened to before. The first thing I saw, because there were very many copies of it as it had just been released, was Contra by Vampire Weekend. I picked that up and sulked through the next aisle. I saw the cover of Modest Mouse's album Good News for People Who Love Bad News and I picked that up as well and walked straight to the checkout line.

I put Good News in first as I drove away. The thing was that I had never been there before, and I had used my GPS to get there. Driving in Miami is stressful as it is, let alone with your thoughts so clouded. I pulled out of the parking garage and Tom Tom apparently thought it would probably be a good idea fro me to drive up into oncoming traffic from around a bend. I drove off the road and ended up with my car stuck in gravel. I just sat there in the car. I felt so overburdened and tired and alone. I did not move for a long time.

A track came on the album called "Float On". What I loved so much about that song was that it was happy. But it was not happy in the "Everything is O.K. LIFE IS AMAZING OHMYGOD" kind of way. What it said was,

"We both got fired on exactly the same day,
Well, we'll all float on, good news is on the way.
Alright, already
We'll all float on
Alright, don't worry
We'll all float on
Alright, don't worry
Even if things end up a bit too heavy, we'll all float on."

Things are not okay. But it's all right. Things happen. This is life, just don't worry about it.

I didn't feel completely better, but I felt good enough to turn my car back on, gun the engine, and get back on the road.

Contra helped me through a lot of very doubtful feelings as well. Contra especially helped me to realize that things happen. They just happen, and it's nobody's fault.

Online Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 10:15:43 PM »
I'm generally a cold, emotionally detached person - but when I heard Kevin Gilbert's song "Song for a Dead Friend" I lost it, because *at least my interpertation of it* it is about the reflection of a friend who committed suicide.  Of all the ways to lose someone, suicide is the worst because you always second guess yourself.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 05:06:39 AM »
Not to disregard the rest of your post, fanica, but I'm glad there's another Vampire Weekend fan on the forums. o/

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 05:17:19 AM »
I can chart my musical life....with albums....very easily. Earliest I can remember is we took a trip accross Canada in 86. I would have been 12/13 at the time. My dad brough four tapes. Bob Segar's Greatest Hits, both Eagles greatest hits, and Rod Stewart's greatest hits. I know all of these WAY too well. After that I begin to find my own way. I borrow all my mom's Beatles CD's....and study them pretty closely. I find it amazing after all these years how much of them I can hear in most new songs released today. Tones, riffs, arrangements..and...what I think you musicians call "a bridge"...the Beatles really did do it all..and do it all first.

Then I start to get a bit crunchier.
Van Halen - 5150
Triumph - ThunderSeven
Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien(my #1 played album of all time)

and then.....musical enlightenment...epiphany.......

Dream Theater - When Dream and Day Unite
Sepultura - Arise

and the rest as they say....is history....
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 06:14:43 AM »
Well aside from music keeping me company when I didn't want anyone else around, or felt shitty from a break up, it's really helped me with memories. Like if I think of a good time in the past and the song that I listened to a lot from then is playing it just makes me smile and my mood is a lot better. It's really a great thing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 09:37:22 AM »
Zeltar, the post alone shows the maturity acquired from your experiences.  It is events like that which define us as a person.  It's easy to be happy and succesful, it's only when were down and beaten when we show our true selves, and you showed yours as one who comes back to see what's next.  Keep it strong!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 10:05:28 AM »
Music to me is like a daily bread.  I consume it the same way that I breathe, eat and sleep. 

It's hard to explain, but when I'm feeling emotional, I turn away from rock and move towards classical music.  Now despite loving classical music (see avatar, duh), I don't listen to it very often ...maybe just 2% of my overall listening habits.  But there's something about it that resonates very deeply.  Maybe it's the fact that most of it doesn't have any lyrics, which makes emotional interpretation much more "nebulous" and less event-specific than your standard rock lyrics.  lonestar shows an ability to attach/associate to rock lyrics much better than I ever could.  For me, it's the heart-wrenching tug of a Brahms violin refrain, or an angry flourish of chords in a Rachmaninov piano concerto that I will retreat to when I'm really feeling down. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 10:24:25 AM »
Thanks bud.  Lyrics have always been a key to me in music, but the music itself is very important too.  I have always loved classical, but I feel the reason for not listening to it more is that it involves more involvement.  To really appreciate it, you must allow yourself to become totally absorbed by it, and not just let it be a soundtrack to what is really going on.  I was introduced to classical, ironically, by the Firebird bewginning of the early Yes shows, and now have a deep love for the music.  I love the rough nights after work where I come home, put a couple of beers into me, put on a random classical station, and just ride the waves of the music.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 10:40:53 AM »
Music has been a big support in my life
there have been a lot of moments in my life where music has helped me
there hasn't been a day that I didn't listen to any music
I also can't get through a day without picking up my bass
it's just everything to me
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 11:28:06 AM »
Music is life.  There is nothing more exciting and fulfilling than making music.  Nothing, and I mean that.  Yeah, sex is awesome, but I've made her sit there and wait while I finished jamming with the guys.  What we do together later will be great, but if music is happening, do not ask me to stop.  We've gone until 4... 5... 6 in the morning, just jamming, just playing whatever our fingers felt like doing, because it feels so good to do it.  You can sleep later.  You can bang later.  Music is happening now, and will not stop until we're completely exhausted.

Solo is cool, but the real-time connection made by making music with other musicians is unsurpassed.

Information is not Knowledge
Knowledge is not Wisdom
Wisdom is not Truth
Truth is not Beauty
Beauty is not Love
Love is not Music
Music is THE BEST

-Zappa

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 01:33:22 PM »
I can't really give any grand story of music keeping me alive or sane. I wouldn't start trembling or going nuts if I didn't listen to music for a few days, though I almost always notice if I haven't. I've never had any especial urge to play music; in fact, I think it's been extremely beneficial for my enjoyment of music that I never did get into playing it.

I just enjoy listening to music a lot, and have done so for so long that it'd be weird if it wasn't there.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 03:15:49 PM »
Extremely important to me in every possible way. I can't even try to imagine living without it.

First, it's a huge passion for me. There are several other ways of spending time that I like - such as reading, or spending time at PC, which I do in fact much more time-wise - but nothing that makes me feel so satisfied and that I consider so important. It's difficult to explain... It's just the way how it is an art. Something that allows me to feel emotion and thought in what I'm listening, something that allows me to feel it and think about it myself. I know people who are equally passionate about movies, and also about books - I enjoy good movies and I love reading, but they don't come close to the effect music has on me. It's just the combination of words and music that seems to be absolutely perfect for me...

I can think about an album I'm recently listening to all the time, and I just want to dive into it somehow. That's why I don't listen to lots of albums in a short period of time - I prefer to listen to one, each day. I can slowly sink into it, understand it, find new things with each listen. I want it to follow me. To mark a certain chapter in my life. Sounds insane to some? Maybe...

Second... we're entering the "personal" part here. I don't have anything like Zeltar (and it's somehow uplifting to hear music could help someone that much...), but it has also helped me a lot. I don't want to get into too much detail, but you may have noticed I'm not exactly the happiest and the most optimistic person around, and this is really the only thing that gives me any kind of hope... Or at least support. That's why I love music like Riverside, the more melancholic side of Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree and Pain of Salvation, Anathema, Opeth, recently also Katatonia - I don't find it depressive at all. Quite the opposite, it allows me to channel any kind of negative emotion and get rid of it.

I've wanted to start playing my instrument myself, but still haven't realised it... we'll see.

That's all, I think.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 05:01:25 PM »
Music is my life in the sense that I find it the most amazing thing existent in this life. It is easily the best form of purposeful entertainment there is. I can sit for hours doing nothing but listening or creating music. I love what you can do with a couple of sounds, chords or riffs. Music helps me to recognise my deepest emotions, the things that cannot be said in words, but can be felt.

Making music with other people in a room, or in front of a live audience, everytime it's like the best spiritual enlightenment there is.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 05:14:39 PM »
I'm gonna get enormously flamed for this, but it's all I can be bothered to say when I'm this tired:

John Mayer's Slow Dancing In A Burning Room has comforted me countless times, more than any other song.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 05:31:43 PM »
Whenever I hear Buddy Holley, I think of my dad and when I hear Roy Orbison, I think of my mom.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TL

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 06:53:49 PM »
SFAM, which was my main introduction to prog, was the first step in an artistic journey that has basically shaped my life path for the better.

Online glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 09:05:57 PM »
I can't really give any grand story of music keeping me alive or sane. I wouldn't start trembling or going nuts if I didn't listen to music for a few days, though I almost always notice if I haven't. I've never had any especial urge to play music; in fact, I think it's been extremely beneficial for my enjoyment of music that I never did get into playing it.

I just enjoy listening to music a lot, and have done so for so long that it'd be weird if it wasn't there.

I'm like this too. I played Trombone in high school and I've dibble dabbled in playing guitar but I've always had a lot more fun listening to music than I do playing it.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2010, 02:54:09 AM »
Green Day is the band that started everything. Before I listened to them, I was just a pure mainstream fanatic, listening to NSync, Britney Spears, T-Pain, Soulja Boy, etc. I was stalking on Billboard Chart everyday, downloading all the new songs. My father, who was a rock/metal fan when he was young, gave me some Metallica, Pink Floyd, and Helloween. I was like, "It's too noisy, the singer is blah blah blah", you know the typical complaints from a mainstream guy.

It was so until American Idiot appeared in the billboard. It was a really fresh music. The whole distorted guitar, wild drumming, and catchy melody got me into this band almost instantly. American Idiot is the first rock album that I downloaded as a whole. Not track by track. I also started playing guitar back then. Billie Joe was my idol. I progressed pretty fast, playing Green Day songs in about 2 months. I remember when my guitar teacher brought his electric guitar. He went to the bathroom, and I tried playing his guitar like Billie Joe. As in, strumming really hard up and down. Well the result was a cut on my index finger :lol.

Well eventually, Green Day wore down, and I found myself listening to Metallica. Thanks to their music, my guitar skill drastically improved. I was probably the only guitarist in my school who could finish One, including the solos(not bragging :P). I tried getting all their albums, but my faith in them was taken away when I listened to Load, Reload and St. Anger. Death Magnetic is tolerable at best. As for my personal life at this point, I was getting close with the metalheads in my school, and farther from the majority of my classmates. It was great meeting people with similar musical taste. Then guess what my friend let me listen.

Overture 1928. It seemed like the Overture of the whole journey that was awaiting me. It was actually my first time to really give a listen to a keyboard-oriented rock/metal song. I loved the whole atmosphere this keyboard created, and now it's hard for me to listen to bands that do not use keyboard. So yeah. After Overture followed Metropolis, The Dance of Eternity, Constant Motion, The Glass Prison, Six Degrees, Images & Words, Awake, etc... until i had their entire discography. It was my first time to own such a big collection of music.

So by the time I finished Dream Theater, I only had a few friends to actually talk about my musical journey. Most of them were still into mainstream metal/rock, such as Fall Out Boy, Avenged Sevenfold, System of a Down, and Linkin Park. But among the entire population of my school, I was the "only" prog fan.

Now? The only place where I actually discuss about prog is DTF :lol.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 03:08:28 AM »
As an old man, I will go on paper saying that American Idiot is a work of brilliance.  The first time I heard the whole album as one, I had to slap myself awake to make sure I was hearing what I was hearing.  Great concept album(and yes, it is a concept album, once they make a Broadway play out of it, it becomes a concept album, unnoficial rule no. 385)

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2010, 05:06:31 AM »
I have to join those who say SFAM was a huge change in their "musical life". That is, Octavarium was where it all started, but SFAM was the most important breakthrough. I started to look at music in an entirely different way since then.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2010, 05:38:08 AM »
Also, this thread has a slightly more detailed answer from me.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=11291.0

Offline LTE

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 01:10:30 PM »

Aphex Twin- Selected Ambient Works 85-92

Aphex Twin- Selected Ambient Works Vol 2

I guess I would consider both of these lumped together, the epitome of Aphex Twin's music. I was much more drawn to this side of him than his drill like DNB stuff (Richard D. James Album). Words that describe both albums: ethereal, lucid, introspective, atmospheric. Minimalistic, yet full of music, harmony and melody.The first album is characterized by liquid bass lines layed out over interesting drum patterns while soaring melodies and ambience were splashed upon it, with a healthy amount of reverb and decay. The 2nd album is a bit more varied and mature, containing some pure ambient tracks, with incredible compositions throughout.
 Each album has such a strong vibe and mood to it, yet can easily be applied to anything, be it studying or staring out my window. But the best memories of it come from driving home around midnight from my girlfriends house the past vacation. It was just me, my car, and the 2 cds. The drive home took about an hour, and I would never rush. The road took me along reservoirs, deserted factories, and long stretches of highway rarely populated at this time. It was almost a sort of meditation, the music and experiences before took me there. It was bliss.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 01:15:36 PM »
^Stone in Focus is my favorite Aphex Twin song.