Author Topic: Coheed & Cambria/The Amory Wars explanation  (Read 15992 times)

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Coheed & Cambria/The Amory Wars explanation
« on: May 19, 2010, 01:10:29 AM »
So I loves me a good concept album as much as the next guy. With Coheed & Cambria, however, I'm having some trouble figuring out a more detailed explanation of the Amory Wars saga than "Boy's parents kill his siblings, boy yells at God, boy kills the leader of his planetary federation, everything's cool".

I know what some songs represent, such as most of Year of the Black Rainbow, thanks to the novel, and I know that "Time Consumer" is about Coheed and Cambria killing their children. But as for the vast majority of their songs? I'm totally in the dark.

So that's where everyone else comes in. I know I can't be the only one who wants more info on this, so I'm making this topic to act as your one-stop shop for C&C info. In this thread, we discuss the storyline of The Amory Wars and what various songs represent.

Who wants to start us off with The Second Stage Turbine Blade?
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
Re: Coheed & Cambria/The Amory Wars explanation
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 03:16:51 AM »
You cant forget key points like "God impales Boy's protector with a spear at the behest of his talking bicycle"
caw caw

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 04:47:56 AM »

I know what some songs represent, such as most of Year of the Black Rainbow, thanks to the novel, and I know that "Time Consumer" is about Coheed and Cambria killing their children. But as for the vast majority of their songs? I'm totally in the dark.

I have no idea what is happening in year of the black rainbow, please enlighten me!!

Who is Jesse? Is apollo really a dog?

Also, i'm pretty sure Coheed killed Cambria as well as his kids, with the exception of claudio, once he was injected with the Monstar virus.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 07:15:12 AM »
I know the story by heart (well, everything that has been confirmed) but it would take hours to explain everything.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 09:43:41 AM »
I know the story by heart (well, everything that has been confirmed) but it would take hours to explain everything.

Way to be helpful champ :P

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 12:08:36 PM »
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 01:14:36 PM »
Well first off, not every bit of the story is explained in the albums, for example, there's no song depicting the fall of House Atlantic in YOTBR or Mayo telling Coheed about the Monstar/Sinistar in SSTB.

SSTB:
Time Consumer-Coheed and Cambria killing their children.
Devil in Jersey City-CoCa's daughter, Josephine, and her boyfriend, Patrick, are out driving.  Patrick is about to propose, but they are attacked by a gang called the Jersey City Devils.
Everything Evil-Josephine and Patrick run back home.  Coheed kills Josephine with a hammer, Patrick runs away in fear.  Claudio comes home after Mayo and the Red army capture CoCa, his Crowing powers briefly start to awaken, and Josephine gives Claudio some last words.
Delirium Trigger-CoCa start to fight back aboard the Red Army's ship.
Hearshot Kid Disaster-Claudio has snuck aboard a ship to get off-world, lands on a planet where the red army is throwing an alien race into the keywork.  One of those aliens tried to rise up, and is known as the "Hearshot Kid."
33-Patrick has been tracked down as a witness to the murder of Josephine and is killed himself by one of Wilhelm Ryan's Ostantine Priests, mages who have been turned into horrible monster mind-slaves.
Junesong Provision-"Junesong" is Newo Ikkun (Claudio's girlfriend's) nickname.  This is the note Claudio leaves her before he leaves.
Neverender-I'll have to get back to you on this.
God Send Conspirator-Maria, Jesse's wife, is killed trying to stage her rebellion against Mayo.

In Keeping Secrets
Ring in Return-Signifies the time Claudio has been sleeping on the planet Shylos 10.
IKS-Jesse is reforming Maria's rebellion.  One of his IRO-bots, Sizer, is jealous of Chase, a IRO-bot who can hear God's thoughts.
CMitMoM-Chase is kidnapped by the Red Army, but Sizer gives himself up instead to save her.
Three Evils-Sizer is tortured for information, but he doesn't give in.  The Red Army disassembles him, where his remains are found by Claudio.  They are then found by Jesse.
The Crowing-Ambellina finds Jesse and Claudio and tells Claudio he is the Crowing, the one God has sent to destroy what he has made.
Blood Red Summer-Jesse recounts to Claudio what has happened to his parents and what he must do now.
Faint of Hearts-The scooby gang needs to get to House Atlantic to destroy Willhelm Ryan.  To slip in, they enlist the services of Al the Killer, a mercenary with a fetish for sniper rifles.
Backend of Forever-Al falls for Ambellina, and see's her avoidance of him as rejection, so he swears never to love again.
Al the Killer-Frustrated, Al decides to betray the group to Ryan.
A Favor House Atlantic-As Al hands the gang over, he feels that he is the only one who should kill Ambellina, and helps the group escape in a heroic last stand.
The Light & the Glass-Claudio reminisces about the time he shared with Newo and how he wishes things could be different.
21:13-Claudio has a nightmare about the events of the TSSTB.

Good Apollo Vol. 1
Always and Never/Welcome Home-The Writer learns that his girlfriend, Erica Court, has been cheating on him.  He dreams about killing her in love and anger.
Ten Speed-The Writer begins to imagine his rage in the form of his ten speed bicycle, who tells him to kill Ambellina to get over his grief and to help his character (Claudio) awaken his true crowing powers.
Crossing the Frame/Apollo I/Once Upon Your Dead Body-As far as I can tell these are just lots of different ways the writer imagines getting revenge.
Wake Up-Despite all his rage, the Writer still loves Erica.
The Suffering-The Writer imagines proposing to Erica.
Apollo II-In this song, Jesse is killed by Mayo, and the Writer comes through into the story world through the Willing Well as the group, along with Jesse's army, is attacking House Atlantic.  The Writer kills Ambellina in order for Claudio to awaken his powers as The Crowing.
The Final Cut

Good Apollo Vol. 2
NWFT-Claudio and the other IRO-bots begin the final battle at House Atlantic.  Ryan vows to kill the Crowing.
The Hound-I'm not entirely sure about this one, or who the hound is (Claudio stated that he is a new character).
The Running Free-Sizer is killed by the Red Army, but finds peace in his death.
Feathers-The negative feelings of Erica from the last album begin to creep into Claudio's thoughts in the story towards Newo.  In this song he officially cuts off all ties he had to the world so that he can carry out his duty.
Mother Superior-Claudio is consulting the memory of his mother to help him carry out his goal of destroying Heaven's Fence.
Gravemakers and Gunslingers/Justice in Murder-Claudio and Mayo face off in a gunfight, and Claudio has finally avenged his parent's death.  He also is able to rationalize the future murder of Wilhelm Ryan.
Radio Bye Bye-Claudio goes in to face Ryan alone.
The End Complete-Claudio and Ryan fight each other.
The Road and the Damned-The Prise try to convince Claudio not to destroy the Fence, but he does it anyway.
On the Brink-Heaven's Fence falls, and the story ends.

I'm going to assume you've read the YOTBR book and I don't need to explain it to you.  Clearly I don't have anything better to do than explain (almost) everything song by song.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 05:40:05 PM »
I always thought that the weird vocals in the middle of "The End Complete" were Ryan taunting Claudio as they fight on top of Star IV's transformer.

Also, in The Willing Well III, I feel that the line

"I won't leave a stone unturned
These worlds will surely burn"

are shouted by a delusional Writer as he impales Ambellina at the same time Mayo kills Jesse, and then the throwback to Blood Red Summer / Everything Evil are Claudio remembering everything Jesse told him, and then he becomes the Crowing.
caw caw

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 09:24:54 PM »
Once I found out that GA 1 was about the guy writing the story I gave up trying to figure out what any of it meant :lol

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 07:03:24 PM »
One thing I figured out recently about GA1 is that, originally, I thought the Writer's eventual killing of Ambellina was for unselfish reasons. He realized that he needed to kill her to activate the Crowing and stop Ryan etc. While this is TRUE, the reasoning behind it is more selfish than I had originally thought. While yes, he kills her to activate the Crowing and destroy House Atlantic, but only because he wants to end the story, since it makes him unhappy to write it. He comes in as a Deus Ex Machina and kills Ambellina...basically to move the story along, so he can be done with it.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 07:04:34 PM »
Sounds about right, not to mention he needed to stop being reminded of Erica, so Ambellina/Newo were too much of a distraction.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
Right, what I'm saying is, that was his original reasoning to want to kill Ambellina, but I think he ended up killing her for a different reason. A selfish reason, still, but a different one.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2019, 04:06:52 PM »
OMG...Josh fainted at a show. And he has to go under surgery.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 04:43:24 PM »
 :'(