Author Topic: New Exodus today!  (Read 5038 times)

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
New Exodus today!
« on: May 18, 2010, 11:51:05 AM »
Exhibit B has hit stores. You can preview the whole album on the bands myspace. I'm gonna run out in a bit and grab it. So far what I've heard rules. Worthy companion to the band's Masterpiece, Exhibit A. We got any other Exodus fans on the board?

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
Re: New Exodus today!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 12:25:43 PM »
I'm a fan of their old work
is their new work any good?
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 08:17:38 PM »
I prefer all of their Andy Sneap involved releases far better then there older stuff. Tempo of the Damned, Shovel-Headed Kill Machine, Atrocity Exhibition, Let There Be Blood and Exhibit B are all phenomenal releases. My favorite actively touring/recording band in the thrash genre for sure.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 07:17:04 AM »
I prefer all of their Andy Sneap involved releases far better then there older stuff. Tempo of the Damned, Shovel-Headed Kill Machine, Atrocity Exhibition, Let There Be Blood and Exhibit B are all phenomenal releases. My favorite actively touring/recording band in the thrash genre for sure.

Just curious why you prefer the modern, groove-core sound over the classic stuff?

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 07:35:34 PM »
But why did they re-record Bonded By Blood?

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 07:43:24 PM »
Just talkin' to Rob Dukes last night. My limited edition CD/shirt/signed poster bundle should be arriving soon. Can't wait.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 07:50:13 PM »

Just curious why you prefer the modern, groove-core sound over the classic stuff?
Yes, because modern Exodus fits this description to a tee.  ::)

Exhibit B is fucking amazing. So is the rest of the Dukes material, but I'd say Exhibit B is my favorite Exodus CD since Bonded By Blood (maybe Fabulous Disaster).
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 11:53:05 PM »
Groove-core?

They are one of the few thrash bands that still actually thrashes. And they mix it up with nasty breakdowns. Nothing wrong with that. Few have done it quite as good since 80's Slayer albums. There is a purity to the brutality of modern Exodus albums lacking in just about all other artists.
The clincher is the production. The sound of those early Exodus records is rough. Plus the song-writing and performances are much tighter. The lineup is finally stable and the guys just seem to gel as a unit together better then any previous lineup.

They re-recorded Bonded because the quality was far from good. It's a fresh take on a classic. They answered this question in a satisfactory manner years back when it was released in every interview they were asked. Go look some up.

As for Exhibit B...I'm still absorbing it. I really like a lot of the tracks so far. It's not hitting me a much as Exhibit A off the bat, but that may be a good thing as it will be the type of release that will slowly slip into my brain over months and months. I will say that I can't stop singing Class Dismissed. Been humming it all day at work. I think my co-workers were a little frightened :P
"All I ever wanted was a little affection but no one ever gave it to me!"

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 07:01:56 PM »
I'm listening to Exhibit B: The Human Condition. I don't know what to think of it, it's not amazing to me but it's not shit either...
It's just 78 minutes too fucking long, including the bonus track (w/o it's 74).

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 07:53:07 PM »
That makes it sound awfully useless :P

It's not their best, but far from the worst. It chugs, it thrashes, and talks about subjects others do not have the balls or the stomach to explore. It def gets the thumbs up.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 08:09:51 PM »
Mine still hasn't arrived yet  :-\

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 08:24:27 PM »
I'm thinking about picking this album up.  Would you guys consider it a good introduction to Exodus?

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 09:52:50 PM »
I don't think so. I first heard Bonded By Blood, but remember the bass drums are the most annoying ones you'll hear on that album. They don't click at all but they're just... annoying and especially if you have a subwoofer.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 09:54:35 PM »
Hm...I think it may be, although I think I'd suggest picking up their re-recording of their first album titled "Let There Be Blood", a modernized take on the classic thrash album "Bonded By Blood". That way you're introduced to the old songs but with the current lineup. Its surprising how good those songs still are.
After that, I say grab the others I had mentioned, Tempo of the Damned, Shovel Headed Kill Machine and Exhibit A and B.
After that, work you're way back through the 80's and 90's albums. Fabulous Disaster is their best of that era. Pleasures of the Flesh has great songs but terrible production. I never grabbed their albums with John Tempesta on drums, as they are usually looked down upon and they never play any songs from them live anyway.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 10:12:11 PM »
I started with Shovel Headed Kill Machine I think (either that or The Atrocity Exhibition... Exhibit A).

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 01:46:11 PM »
Exodus are one of the few classic thrash bands where I feel their 00/10s releases stand up against their 80s albums. Overkill is another.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 01:48:44 PM »
Listening to "Bedlam 1-2-3" right now

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 11:23:23 PM »
After listening to it for the first time, I can say, it's just as good, if not better, than any Rob Dukes-era album. Definitely has the same kinda feel as The Atrocity Exhibition...Exhibit A, while still feeling pretty fresh. Some vocal melodies kinda go out on a ledge and step away from traditional Dukes-era Exodus vocal deliveries ("Democide"), and then there are some power metally guitar interludes and riffs ("Beyond The Pale"). And, as expected, the lyrics are in-your-face, violent, explicit Exodus lyrics ("Class Dismissed (A Hate Primer))". On a first listen, I'd give it a 4/5.

Offline shreddies

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 12:08:51 PM »
I gave it a listen and its definitely very  :metal. Like someone said my only qualm was the length (took several sittings to get through). Recommended for any thrash fans.

In addition, BURN HOLLYWOOD BURN!!!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 03:29:13 PM »
The album does not feel like 80 minutes at all.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2010, 05:30:02 PM »
The album does not feel like 80 minutes at all.
This

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 10:49:09 PM »
I'm listening to Exhibit B for the first time right now.

Gotta fucking love Exodus :metal

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 01:45:38 PM »
It might be my favorite Dukes-era album. If anyone didn't know already, Rob Dukes said they'd be doing a headlining tour later in the summer/early Fall, and also may tour with Slayer who'll be supporting World Painted Blood. However, Slayer might be busy with three other pretty big bands in the United States after the summer....  :angel:

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 04:42:54 PM »
It might be my favorite Dukes-era album. If anyone didn't know already, Rob Dukes said they'd be doing a headlining tour later in the summer/early Fall, and also may tour with Slayer who'll be supporting World Painted Blood. However, Slayer might be busy with three other pretty big bands in the United States after the summer....  :angel:
Meh, I'd be kind of disappointed if the Big 4 toured the states. They're playing together, and it's cool. The thing is, we're already getting the best/most relevant of the 4 touring together with Testament. So, I really don't think I'll be going again just to see Metallica and Anthrax (but I probably will).

If Exodus tours with Slayer, that will kick some serious ass.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 05:07:45 PM »
Meh, I'd be kind of disappointed if the Big 4 toured the states. They're playing together, and it's cool. The thing is, we're already getting the best/most relevant of the 4 touring together with Testament. So, I really don't think I'll be going again just to see Metallica and Anthrax (but I probably will).

If Exodus tours with Slayer, that will kick some serious ass.
I think you should trust me on this one...  ::)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 01:07:02 PM »
FUCK.

I just got home and went to buy tickets and they're sold out already. They went on sale at 12:00. I'm so pissed right now.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 02:40:02 PM »
For what show?

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 09:19:38 PM »
Gramercy Theatre in New York

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2010, 06:06:45 AM »
This is my first Exodus disc...and it's getting spun...then re-spun....then re-spun....

Im digging it.

I certainly get the slayer comparison but his voice is more digestible.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2010, 07:46:39 AM »
This is my first Exodus disc...and it's getting spun...then re-spun....then re-spun....

Im digging it.

You really need to listen to Bonded by Blood and Fabulous Disaster; they blow modern Exodus out of the water.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 10:04:39 AM »

Im digging it.

You really need to listen to Bonded by Blood and Fabulous Disaster; they blow modern Exodus out of the water.
Honestly, I think Exhibit B is Exodus' best album. Bonded By Blood is classic, for sure, and Fabulous Disaster has some really amazing songs on it. What Exhibit B has over it is consistency, amazing production, and songs that just completely slay most of their early output. Fantastic album.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2010, 12:15:52 PM »
The Ballad of Leonard and Charles induces mania in me. Every time that break down starts, I can't help but start circle-pitting in my living room and punching holes in walls. I cannot fucking wait to see these guys open with it live next month (August 27th at the Palladium). Haven't seen'em headline in over 2 years, and last time was amazing.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 03:13:49 PM »
"Dragging their victims into lunacy
And putting it all on film
Wretched dregs of society
Killers of children
Rapists of women
Sado-sexual violence"

Need I say more?

:metal :metal :metal

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2010, 01:08:59 AM »
Fuck yes.

I never thought "sado-sexual violence" could be a hook in a song...but, they some how managed it.

My other favorite line seems to be "All I ever wanted was a little attention, but no one ever gave it to me!"
I'm not sure how Exodus makes certain things kick ass they way they do, but they always manage.
This album is raw, brutal, and expository. It really says a lot about mankind's tyranny over everything,
including ourselves. "Third lump of shit from the Sun" indeed. Gotta love it.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2010, 02:09:05 PM »
STUDENT BODIES LYING DEAD IN THE HALLS
A BLOOD SPLATTERED TREATISE OF HATE
CLASS DISMISSED IS MY HYPOTHESIS
GUNFIRE ENDS THE DEBATE

:2metal: