Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 307783 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around
« Reply #2345 on: April 15, 2021, 08:53:29 AM »
Monument is just incredible. But I say that about a lot of Fates material.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2346 on: April 15, 2021, 09:34:46 AM »
Monument is just incredible. But I say that about a lot of Fates material.  :lol

It's such an eclectic song, and everything meshes together so cohesively.

For me, 6 of the 10 tracks on Inside Out are exceptional.  Island in the Stream is the big dud (something Parallels doesn't have), and Inward Bound is a bit of wasted space between Face the Fear and Monument, and the only reason I wouldn't skip it is if I don't have a free hand.  The Strand is IO's version of We Only Say Goodbye.  Not bad songs, but they're dwarfed by most of the rest of their respective albums.  Afterglow is nice, but it's kind of anticlimactic after Monument.  I think if you dropped Island from the album and put Afterglow in the same spot and let the album finish with Monument, I might rank IO higher than Parallels.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2347 on: April 15, 2021, 12:25:29 PM »
Theories of Flight and Long Day Good Night are now my two favorite Fates Warning albums and I've been a fan since the release of No Exit

These last two albums are almost like a tour of all the things I like best about this band, both albums are rifftastic  :hefdaddy

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2348 on: April 15, 2021, 09:41:25 PM »
I don't mind Inside Out, but to me maybe the biggest issue with it is how many of the songs sound very similar; i.e. if i heard sample clips from most of the songs randomly, I would likely not be able to distinguish them from each other.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2349 on: April 15, 2021, 11:08:54 PM »
Theories of Flight and Long Day Good Night are now my two favorite Fates Warning albums and I've been a fan since the release of No Exit

These last two albums are almost like a tour of all the things I like best about this band, both albums are rifftastic  :hefdaddy

Yeah, the band's been on a hot streak since 2016. Or even as far back as 2011, if we factor in Arch/Matheos too. Theories of Flight and Live Over Europe in particular have been absolutely monstrous contributions to Fates Warning's discography IMO.

As for IO, I'm not sure where I'd rank the album as a whole, but I will say that "Pale Fire" is quite possibly the Fates song I listen to most often. It's not quite my favorite, but it's such an excellent example of Fates' short-lengthed tracks in the Alder era.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2350 on: May 18, 2021, 08:05:53 AM »
Some Bobby Jarzombek news:

"I’m very proud to announce that I am now playing drums for the legendary country music artist George Strait. As the newest member of his ‘Ace In The Hole’ band, last Saturday we played a private event in Austin, TX and everything was awesome!
I am so glad to be here! Really looking forward to the future with George and the guys!"

Glad to see Bobby J have some success. He is a massive country fan and plays weekend gigs in the San Antonio area. Wonder what this does to Fates Warning although it's not like George Strait tours a lot though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2351 on: May 18, 2021, 08:31:24 AM »
I heard George was going to sing on their new album. They’re calling it

Straits Warning.

I’m sorry.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2352 on: May 18, 2021, 09:29:34 AM »
Fuck me sideways  :rollin

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2353 on: May 18, 2021, 02:30:38 PM »
I’m sorry.

You fucking should be.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2355 on: May 18, 2021, 03:29:29 PM »

Straits Warning.

I’m sorry.

What if Mark Knopfler joins them as a live guitarist?  Would they be called Dire Straits Warning?   :neverusethis:
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2356 on: May 18, 2021, 03:59:44 PM »

Straits Warning.

I’m sorry.

What if Mark Knopfler joins them as a live guitarist?  Would they be called Dire Straits Warning?   :neverusethis:

Well played!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2357 on: May 18, 2021, 04:03:28 PM »
They should cover Distant Early Warning.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2358 on: May 18, 2021, 08:50:50 PM »
They should cover Distant Early Warning.

They should do it in the morning over Zoom.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2359 on: May 20, 2021, 09:14:41 AM »
Bobby is playing the ACL fest in Austin as George Strait is one of the headliners.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2360 on: May 20, 2021, 02:32:38 PM »
I had no idea until the other day, The Flower Kings "The Rainmaker" artwork is done by Ioannis, the same artist who did APSOG. And when you look at the artwork of both of those albums, the style is rather similar.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2361 on: May 20, 2021, 03:25:38 PM »
I had no idea until the other day, The Flower Kings "The Rainmaker" artwork is done by Ioannis, the same artist who did APSOG. And when you look at the artwork of both of those albums, the style is rather similar.

He also did Awaken the Guardian and Night on Brocken I believe. If you see his portfolio, his work is very distinctive. He also did the artwork for DT's WDADU.

https://www.dangerousage.com/#

https://www.dangerousage.com/store/

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2362 on: May 21, 2021, 10:01:34 AM »
Yep. Ioannis also did the artwork for FWX and Live in Athens. I have two custom-oversized framed prints of two different Live in Athens pieces that he made for my wife and I in our hallway and living room. I have an APSOG one that is in my office.

Great guy. Shipping can sometimes be a little wonky (USPS), but he's always attentive and if there are issues, he addresses them immediately.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jammindude

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2366 on: July 21, 2021, 08:54:40 PM »
I’m all over this

https://bravewords.com/news/fates-warning-author-jeff-wagner-to-release-new-book-destination-onward-the-story-of-fates-warning?fbclid=IwAR1G4DG9h4hatT18MqgQ8NpDAL__YfggNAYBrWICi6RuR4tTy-kKW35_So4

I'll be picking that up as well. It is almost predictable that Jeff Wagner would write this, but I'm sure there'll be a lot of new information and stories he's never written about.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2367 on: July 22, 2021, 04:24:46 AM »
Is Jeff Wagner someone known?

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2368 on: July 22, 2021, 08:19:03 AM »

I'm not sure how well known he is - I have read his book "Mean Deviation: Four Decades of Progressive Heavy Metal" a few years back and enjoyed it.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2369 on: July 22, 2021, 08:39:47 AM »

I'm not sure how well known he is - I have read his book "Mean Deviation: Four Decades of Progressive Heavy Metal" a few years back and enjoyed it.

he's done other stuff, namely being an editor for Metal Maniacs and more recently working for Inside Out Music.

he also has a podcast called Radical Research:

http://radicalresearch.org/

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2370 on: July 22, 2021, 01:10:24 PM »
Wagner is a hell of a writer. Can't wait for the Fates book!  :metal

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2371 on: July 22, 2021, 01:38:27 PM »

he also has a podcast called Radical Research:

http://radicalresearch.org/

Thank you for this, I'll have to check it out!

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2373 on: July 28, 2021, 09:15:12 PM »
Wow, I didn't see this coming! Looking forward to it, of course. I'm a big fan of Zonder's playing and Ray is the best there is.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2374 on: July 28, 2021, 10:31:29 PM »
sounds intriguing, however I'm not going to assume anything per the songwriting for me often is key.

Sadly, every project Zonder's done outside of FW has done very little for me. The most recent, the ZW Band, I honestly got terribly bored by it.

Slavior was quite forgettable as well.

It's a plus having Ray sing in this band, but I guess I tend to see Jim Matheos being a huge part of the quality of the Fates songs (and also Terry Brown in some instances).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2376 on: July 29, 2021, 08:21:15 AM »
sounds intriguing, however I'm not going to assume anything per the songwriting for me often is key.

Sadly, every project Zonder's done outside of FW has done very little for me. The most recent, the ZW Band, I honestly got terribly bored by it.

Slavior was quite forgettable as well.

It's a plus having Ray sing in this band, but I guess I tend to see Jim Matheos being a huge part of the quality of the Fates songs (and also Terry Brown in some instances).

Pretty much my thoughts plus TACs thoughts as well lol.

The good thing is that Viv, Joop and Ray have very good melodical sense so I hope they bring that up in the songwriting.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2377 on: July 30, 2021, 05:05:41 AM »

Yes but Ray has a good ear for a song and his 2019 solo album proved that beyond any doubt ;)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2378 on: August 28, 2021, 05:05:53 PM »
I listened to six FW albums start to finish today and I loved every second.

Parallels
Inside Out
APSOG
Disconnected
Theories of Flight
Long Day Good Night

:metal
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2379 on: August 29, 2021, 02:45:58 AM »
I listened to six FW albums start to finish today and I loved every second.

Parallels
Inside Out
APSOG
Disconnected
Theories of Flight
Long Day Good Night

:metal

But no Darkness In. A Different Light?

Certainly worth your time I love how I Am rolls out from the beautiful Falling, how one of the album highlights O Chloroform sets up the epic And Yet and don't get me started on Firefly or the wonderful bonus track reworking of Falling...

Or FWX which while not of the same calibre contains some essential Fates, I'd argue A Handful Of Doubt and Wish are worth the price alone  ;D

But am sure you already aware of all that and kudos for your selections pretty much all personal faves and forever waving the flag for Parallels (always wished they'd finished with We Always Say Goodbye think that's an album closer if ever heard one) and the usually underappreciated Disconnected  :metal

Am now inspired to go do the same myself Cheers!