Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 312045 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Theories of Flight
« Reply #2100 on: October 28, 2020, 09:06:33 PM »
Maybe a mod can update the thread title?  Elsydeon hasn’t been around in almost a couple of years.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around
« Reply #2101 on: October 28, 2020, 09:26:06 PM »
Maybe a mod can update the thread title?  Elsydeon hasn’t been around in almost a couple of years.

Your wish is my command. Had to shorten due to technical limitations.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2102 on: October 28, 2020, 09:37:04 PM »

Your wish is my command. Had to shorten due to technical limitations.

:rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2103 on: October 29, 2020, 02:32:52 PM »
I'm feeling myself become emotional at the thought of this being the last FW album.  In a week, I'll be potentially listening to the last FW album for the first time.  I hope that's not the case, but it's possible give the album title and the final song's title.  I'm feeling so grateful for all that FW has given us for close to four decades now.  What a special band.   

Also, does anyone have FW's DVD The View from Here?  If so, what's it like?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 02:44:52 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2104 on: October 29, 2020, 02:51:44 PM »
I'm feeling myself become emotional at the thought of this being the last FW album.  In a week, I'll be potentially listening to the last FW album for the first time.  I hope that's not the case, but it's possible give the album title and the final song's title.

???

That seems like some pretty serious mental gymnastics....

Are you really inferring this from the album's title and the fact that the last song on the album is called "The Last Song," or is there more to it?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2105 on: October 29, 2020, 08:03:50 PM »
I'll never forget the Summer of 1996 when learning of Aresti and DiBiase leaving the band and thinking the band was over then.

If this is the final FW record, I can't be too down about it given how many records from them I love.

But at the same time, it does make one wonder if Jim and the others will still make music (Ray likely will given the interest in his solo record from last year). I wonder really how much of their income relies on touring and how much COVID is impacting it. Given how spotty their tour history is, I suspect they don't.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2106 on: October 29, 2020, 08:22:05 PM »
How about v. I wish Nick was still on vacation
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2107 on: October 29, 2020, 09:21:30 PM »
I'm feeling myself become emotional at the thought of this being the last FW album.  In a week, I'll be potentially listening to the last FW album for the first time.  I hope that's not the case, but it's possible give the album title and the final song's title.  I'm feeling so grateful for all that FW has given us for close to four decades now.  What a special band.   

Also, does anyone have FW's DVD The View from Here?  If so, what's it like?

Mike,

I have it. Think Building Empires. Fates's version of it. Totally worth it to pick it up.

As for "The Last Song" being the absolute last FW material, no one knows. The press is asking, and the Fates guys aren't telling. There was some review of that song indicating that the lyrics are very pointed in that direction. It could have been something in this thread, I forget. But to be honest, it wouldn't surprise me. I remember on the Theories tour cycle, Ray doing an interview to the effective of they were hesitant to do another album because they weren't sure if they could top Theories of Flight, and wanting to be done on a high note (or something to that effect), but I don't have a link to it.

Whatever it ends up being -- it has been such an incredible run. I wish I would have gotten into them sooner. I remember seeing ads for Fates shirts in metal magazines, and thinking they were death metal, and not wanting to check them out (seriously, lol). When I was growing up, we only sporadically had cable and MTV, and while I saw videos from a lot of hair bands, and Queensryche (I was on the lookout for that), I rarely was permitted to stay up for Headbanger's Ball. And like I said, much of the time, we didn't have cable. So I never saw Fates' vids.

But once I picked up APSOG on that Columbia House 1 cent CD thing, and put it on, I was turned off. It wasn't death metal, and had some nice moments, but that's a tough introduction (at least for me it was). Now, obviously, I have a huge appreciation for it, even if it isn't my favorite Fates record. I still like it a lot. I didn't really get into them until 2003. My wife said "how can you love Queensryche and Dream Theater and not love Fates Warning?!" I listened to Parallels, liked it. But it was seeing Fates live on the QR/DT/FW tour and the song "One" that blew me away. I went out and bought the catalog, and became a hardcore instantly. SO WISH I would have gotten into them sooner. They are, for me, one of my top three bands of all time (original lineup of Queensryche, Fates Warning, Alter Bridge).

And to top it off, you won't find a nicer guy than Jim Matheos.

So if it IS the end, I hope that the new album is everything I think it's going to be and that we can get some live gigs once COVID is over and properly send the boys on their way.

And if it ISN'T the end, and the song is a red herring, we'll all get a laugh at this in a few years.

The other thing that popped up in my head is -- what if this is the last song for THIS LINEUP/ERA of Fates? Meaning, perhaps Jim is going a different direction. I thought it was interesting Gavin Harrison was playing drums on one of the tracks. I wonder, perhaps Jim and Ray are going to look at a new lineup? I think it's not very likely (I mean, what's the point, ya know). But I'd love to hear why Gavin Harrison is on a track. I mean, it's weird when there are multiple drummers on a record. It changes the groove.

We also don't know who is doing the solos. I think one of the reviews said that Frank Aresti is on the record -- well, he has been doing solos on the last couple, so that's not a surprise. But I know Mike Abdow is doing solos too. I asked him if he could give who is doing the solos on each of the songs, and he said let it be a surprise. So not sure what's up.

SOMETHING is up, or there isn't anything, Jim, Ray, Joey, Bobby, Mike, and Frank are having a field day laughing at the speculation.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2108 on: October 30, 2020, 12:58:45 AM »
So there is some Frank solos on this?  Stoked if there is.  Only a couple through the album helps to the FW sound.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2109 on: October 30, 2020, 12:12:23 PM »
Good post, Brian!  I like hearing how people got into different bands.  I was lucky enough to get into them a few years earlier, since I was a big Kevin Moore fan and picked up APSOG when I heard he made a guest appearance on it in 1997.

Speaking of APSOG, one of the reasons I'm thinking this could be the last FW album (in addition to the final song and album title) is that three years ago at a meet-and-greet I asked Jim about the possibility of the band's APSOG lineup touring the album for its 25th anniversary in 2022.  He replied sarcastically, saying something like "I might be retired by then."  But obviously, if he wasn't totally kidding, that would mean this would be the band's final album.  I truly hope not though.  I'm not ready for that!

Also, I've ordered the A View From Here and Live at the Dynamo DVDs, the latter of which I've previously watched on YouTube but never owned.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 12:45:40 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2110 on: October 30, 2020, 01:07:26 PM »
Well, if the rationale behind considering calling it quits on Fates Warning is they worried that they wouldn't be able to top Theories of Flight, I think that's a reasonable fear since it's easily their best record to date.  For me it's not even close.  Theories of Flight is a fucking masterpiece.   One of the very, very few albums I've ever given a 5 star rating.  I would be absolutely astonished if they even come close to this level of quality 2 records in a row. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2111 on: November 01, 2020, 02:56:49 PM »
Well, if the rationale behind considering calling it quits on Fates Warning is they worried that they wouldn't be able to top Theories of Flight, I think that's a reasonable fear since it's easily their best record to date.  For me it's not even close.  Theories of Flight is a fucking masterpiece.   One of the very, very few albums I've ever given a 5 star rating.  I would be absolutely astonished if they even come close to this level of quality 2 records in a row.

And for me, TOF is no better than an average album that wasn't as good as the album that came immediately before it.  If they're seriously considering calling it a career because of a fear/concern/worry that they can't top TOF (and I personally think all this speculation is a bit nutso), then they absolutely should pack it in because that would be an incredibly pathetic state of mind.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2112 on: November 01, 2020, 03:08:52 PM »
I'm feeling myself become emotional at the thought of this being the last FW album.

Did I miss something??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2113 on: November 01, 2020, 03:21:14 PM »

And for me, TOF is no better than an average album that wasn't as good as the album that came immediately before it.  If they're seriously considering calling it a career because of a fear/concern/worry that they can't top TOF (and I personally think all this speculation is a bit nutso), then they absolutely should pack it in because that would be an incredibly pathetic state of mind.

Wow... that's a hot take.  I thought Darkness was pretty weak.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2114 on: November 01, 2020, 03:30:33 PM »
I hold Darkness and Theories both in the same regard. Decent FW albums, among a long catalogue of decent FW albums.

The only true standout high water mark for me personally is A pleasant shade of grey. That will always be my favorite.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2115 on: November 01, 2020, 03:32:45 PM »
I'm feeling myself become emotional at the thought of this being the last FW album.

Did I miss something??
Well, putting Good Night in the album name and naming the last track The Last Song and then kind of avoiding questions about it points in that direction.

I don't want it to be true :(

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2116 on: November 01, 2020, 10:10:29 PM »

Did I miss something??

A whole lot of speculation.

Wow... that's a hot take.  I thought Darkness was pretty weak.

I've said it many times.  I Am, Into the Black and And Yet It Moves are all excellent, with AYIM being a top-10 FW song.  Nothing on TOF approaches any of those three songs (or Falling Further, which I don't view any differently just because of the "bonus track" designation).

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2117 on: November 01, 2020, 11:11:27 PM »
I've said it many times.  I Am, Into the Black and And Yet It Moves are all excellent, with AYIM being a top-10 FW song.  Nothing on TOF approaches any of those three songs (or Falling Further, which I don't view any differently just because of the "bonus track" designation).

In your opinion, that is. And of course, it's a valid take. Those are all good songs, though I'd argue that TOF is absolutely the superior album to Darkness- and I think that seems to be the common consensus among most Fate fans. So is it really that much of a surprise that the band themselves would see TOF as a big success and a particularly high bar to try and meet for their followup album?

We have to be able to separate our own personal views on the matter and acknowledge the band's point of view here. Personally, while I've since grown to appreciate Parallels a great deal in recent years, I used to consider it one of the band's weakest albums in general. For the life of me, I couldn't see why it was so beloved by both the fans and the band. But that was my opinion.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2118 on: November 01, 2020, 11:50:42 PM »
Theories of Flight >>>>> Darkness in A Different Light.  By quite a margin too.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2119 on: November 02, 2020, 06:30:29 AM »

Agreed. Theories of Flight may well be my favorite Fates album. I'm not 100% certain though, but it's among the band's best ever works IMO.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2120 on: November 02, 2020, 07:03:06 AM »

Agreed, and to your point, the two songs I've heard off this new album have left me, for lack of a better word, unimpressed.

I realize that they are being heard out of context, but while I suspect that I will enjoy this new album, I would be surprised if it even comes close to TOF.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2121 on: November 02, 2020, 09:22:01 AM »

Agreed, and to your point, the two songs I've heard off this new album have left me, for lack of a better word, unimpressed.

I realize that they are being heard out of context, but while I suspect that I will enjoy this new album, I would be surprised if it even comes close to TOF.

It's MOST DEFINITELY a grower.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2122 on: November 02, 2020, 09:44:14 AM »
If they want to quit because they think they can't top TOF, why then put out another record, so that they, by this logic are not going out on a high note anymore.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2123 on: November 02, 2020, 03:10:43 PM »
So is it really that much of a surprise that the band themselves would see TOF as a big success and a particularly high bar to try and meet for their followup album?

I would say this about any band:  IF they are worried about topping the perceived success of their prior album, to the point that they go into the next album with the mindset that, "this is it; we can't possibly top Album X," then they SHOULD hang it up (with some amount of shame).  As I wrote previously, that would be an incredibly pathetic state of mind.  I would think they'd have been more likely to hang it up after releasing a masterpiece like APSOG and then following it up with a couple of duds.

If they want to quit because they think they can't top TOF, why then put out another record, so that they, by this logic are not going out on a high note anymore.

Exactly.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2124 on: November 02, 2020, 03:28:45 PM »
Once again I find myself in the minority. I like DiaDL more than ToF..

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2125 on: November 02, 2020, 03:32:17 PM »
Didn't realize me recalling something Ray talking about in an interview would get people so fired up. It was more of a general comment on that they weren't sure they could top Theories, so why try. That was the gist of it. And apparently they came around and decided to do it.

As for the record itself, I know some friends that either got it as an advance, or just had it shipped to them early (one bought a spare copy from eBay that arrived already, which I have no idea how that happened). So far, people really seem to dig it, and the general consensus is that musically, while still very heavy and guitar driven, it is a big more diverse. I am looking forward to it a lot. :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2126 on: November 02, 2020, 04:26:56 PM »
Didn't realize me recalling something Ray talking about in an interview would get people so fired up. It was more of a general comment on that they weren't sure they could top Theories, so why try. That was the gist of it. And apparently they came around and decided to do it.

I feel like as long as Jim is actively writing music, there will always be Fates Warning.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2127 on: November 02, 2020, 09:09:07 PM »
Agreed, but I also think FWX is better than both of them.

Also APSoG is overrated. It's a good album, but not nearly as good as literally every album that came before it (with the exception of Night on Brocken).

There's a couple of hot takes for y'all! :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2128 on: November 02, 2020, 10:12:58 PM »
That FWX call is indeed a hot take.  :eek

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2129 on: November 02, 2020, 10:30:38 PM »
Fates Warning has never released a bad album. Not even NOB. Although I will admit it is their least best. That being said, FWX is definitely near the bottom for me. Three or four standout tracks, three or four OK tracks, and a couple of duds. It’s “Inside Out 2” to me.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2130 on: November 03, 2020, 07:38:25 AM »
Since we're doing what's better than what, you know what time it is...

As of this moment:

Arch Era

Awaken the Guardian
Spectre Within
NOB

Alder Era

Parallels
No Exit
Theories of Flight
Disconnected
FWX
Inside Out
DiaDL
Perfect Symmetry
APSOG

>>>>The top-3 for me are pretty well established. The bottom three rotate for me based on mood. And don't be shocked by APSOG at the bottom. I enjoy it, but I have to be absolutely in the mood for it. The live cuts Fates plays here and there on tour from it are cool, and I'm glad to get them, but album-wise, I probably go to it the least in FW's catalog.

I always compare APSOG to Queensryche's Promised Land, but I've always thought Promised Land was a bit more accessible, which is why it sits further up the QR catalog in comparison to where APSOG sits in Fates Warning's for me.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2131 on: November 03, 2020, 09:34:28 AM »

I don't think an artist should ever actively "try to top" a prior work.  Did Rush write Signals with the intent of "topping" Moving Pictures?  No.  Did DT write SDOIT with the intent of "topping" SFAM?  No.  You just write the best album you can and see how it goes.

. . . FWX . . . is indeed a hot mess.

Agree.   :biggrin:

I always compare APSOG to Queensryche's Promised Land, but I've always thought Promised Land was a bit more accessible, which is why it sits further up the QR catalog in comparison to where APSOG sits in Fates Warning's for me.

Now THAT is a hot take.  APSOG is awesome.  Promised Land is largely forgettable (Damaged and I Am I being the exceptions).

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2132 on: November 03, 2020, 11:12:10 AM »
Sonic Perspectives has posted a new interview with Ray: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPzU56nbT7o&feature=emb_title

EDIT: Just listened to the interview.  It ends with a new song, "Begin Again," which apparently has a video coming out on Friday.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 11:46:54 AM by Mebert78 »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2133 on: November 03, 2020, 11:55:33 AM »
It ends with a new song, "Begin Again," which apparently has a video coming out on Friday.

Awesome! Can't wait to see/hear it!

I don't think an artist should ever actively "try to top" a prior work.  Did Rush write Signals with the intent of "topping" Moving Pictures?  No.  Did DT write SDOIT with the intent of "topping" SFAM?  No.  You just write the best album you can and see how it goes.

You'll get no argument out of me on that one, PG. I agree completely. Wish I could find that Ray interview. But that's the gist of what I remember from it. It was some time ago. Had to have been a year ago. Perhaps it was during the promo cycle for his solo record?

AND NO, FWX is NOT a "hot mess."  :lol

A Handful of Doubt is brilliant. Crawl is awesome, so is Heal Me. I dig the straightforwardness of Simple Human, dig Left Here. It's a really good record.

Now THAT is a hot take.  APSOG is awesome.  Promised Land is largely forgettable (Damaged and I Am I being the exceptions).

I've grown to really enjoy APSOG. Not debating is quality -- just saying that PL is more accessible. You named Damaged and I Am I. Well, My Global Mind, Bridge, One More Time -- all more accessible than the songs on APSOG. They are both good albums, and I love PL. APSOG has to be a mood thing though. I can't just put it on and rock. I have to be in that vibe. Whereas with PL, I can put it on and groove to it, regardless of the the melancholy, reflective vibe. APSOG's vibe is much more contemplative, which I think requires just a deeper frame of mind and thought to appreciate. Thus, a "have to be in the mood" ranking from me.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2134 on: November 03, 2020, 12:02:30 PM »

Yeah, for me it's not even close.  To me Darkness is a transitional album.  They kind of went to a heavier and less electronic sound beginning with that album.  FWX was the last album to feature any of those really trippy things like "Sequence 7"