Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 307672 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Theories of Flight
« Reply #1785 on: March 23, 2019, 09:40:18 AM »
So excited to finally be able to see Fates Warning. I hope we h3t Falling Further, but I have a feeling we'll get Firefly. And hopefully not a shorter set.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1786 on: March 24, 2019, 03:47:46 AM »
Fates Warning kicked ass...honestly better than Queensryche.

Got to meet Ray Alder again. Talked to him more than I did at P rogPower. He remembers doing Threads. Other than, he doesn't. He was a great guy to meet.

Joey came out the bus and chatted for a bit.

Jim was ready to leave....not in a bad way, but just to chill in the bus and getting ready for the next show.

All in all an amazing show. I'll try and post my pic with Ray.. 
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1787 on: March 26, 2019, 08:05:58 AM »
Fates Warning kicked ass...honestly better than Queensryche.

Got to meet Ray Alder again. Talked to him more than I did at P rogPower. He remembers doing Threads. Other than, he doesn't. He was a great guy to meet.

Joey came out the bus and chatted for a bit.

Jim was ready to leave....not in a bad way, but just to chill in the bus and getting ready for the next show.

All in all an amazing show. I'll try and post my pic with Ray..

Awesome. They are a killer band. Can't wait for this weekend. Three-in-a-row for me. Two opening sets and a headline set to cap it off.   :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline snowdog

« Reply #1788 on: March 26, 2019, 12:12:23 PM »
I made the drive down to Albuquerque on Saturday to see the show.  I'll admit I went in for the show more for FW than QR, but I definitely enjoyed the Fates Warning set a lot more.  They did a great job.  I just wish they had a full headlining show. I hadn't been keeping up with their setlists recently, so I was really surprised to see Falling Further which I did enjoy.  The Light and Shade of Things was probably the highlight for me though.  I still would love to see them play Still Remains or Ghosts of Home, but I don't believe they have even played the latter at this point.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1789 on: March 31, 2019, 11:32:32 AM »
I made the drive down to Albuquerque on Saturday to see the show.  I'll admit I went in for the show more for FW than QR, but I definitely enjoyed the Fates Warning set a lot more.  They did a great job.  I just wish they had a full headlining show. I hadn't been keeping up with their setlists recently, so I was really surprised to see Falling Further which I did enjoy.  The Light and Shade of Things was probably the highlight for me though.  I still would love to see them play Still Remains or Ghosts of Home, but I don't believe they have even played the latter at this point.

Where were you at there? I was 3 rows from the front in the middle left. Only spot without someone really tall blocking my view (im short).

I was so happy when Falling Further started. I sang my heart out for the chorus. When I got dropped off, i heard them soundchecking The Light And Shade Of Things. It was neat hearing that. Also saw LaTorre walking towards the back area (where i was coming from), didnt bother waving or anything just a nod. Haha.

I would've loved Still Remains as thats the one song that got me into Fates Warning.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1790 on: April 02, 2019, 02:51:10 PM »
Man, what a three-show run for me with Fates. I attended the San Francisco, Sacramento, and Redding (all California) gigs over the last few days. The first two were 10-song opening sets, and the last one was a 16-song headline show.

Friday, March 29, I got out of the office early and headed to the venue. Got there super early. WAY too early, honestly. I've been at this place a million times (Slim's in SF), so as I walk up, I hear Queensryche soundchecking "Condition Human." La Torre sounded pretty good. But I was there for Fates. Met a couple of friends who drove 11 hours from Utah to see this. We hung out a bit, and then attended the Fates soundcheck. Funny story -- so the way it works is this. QR soundchecks first, then Fates goes and does theirs, and then their M&G. When the Fates M&G ends, then Queensryche does its M&G, before the venue closes before opening again at the door time.

Well, Ray got confused a bit about what time he was supposed to show, so during soundcheck for Fates, there was no Ray. They do their thing, run through a song or two, and so Joey Vera says - "we gotta check the vocals. What can I actually sing?" LOL. They started checking From the Rooftops with Joey on lead vocals, and he looks out and says "Ok, I forget the rest of the words." I was about to hand him my phone (I was recording but I was going to pull up the lyrics). Then Ray strolls in behind me and does the next song after they are done. Ha ha ha.

The show itself was 10 songs, about an hour, and they played Falling Further, which was nice. Tiny stage. The drums were pushed all the way to the front, so the band were all stuck in place, with Ray literally just having a pole to hang from if he wanted to move. I was dead center in front of the drums, but surprisingly, I could still hear well. Not much of Jim, but heard everyone else fine. Really energetic crowd, sold out. Ray sounded good, the whole band does. They are just incredibly tight live. Probably, other than Dream Theater, the absolute tightest live band out there.

I left after Fates, fighting to get out the door. The place was JAMMED. Picked up a few Fates shirts before they ran out (those of you attending in Portland tonight and Seattle the next night, get to the merch booth early).

Saturday they played Sacramento. Took the fam to the soundcheck and meet and greet. All the guys were in good spirits, and spent a lot of time with the pre-show crowd. There were probably 10 of us. The highlight? Frank Aresti was there! Earlier that day, not even knowing Frank was going to be there, I had brought a gig poster and a setlist from the last time Frank played with this lineup, which was in Dec. 2013, at DNA Lounge in SF. Frank showed up then for the meet and greet, and we got a picture, and Frank guested on "Still Remains." So, I had all that stuff (minus the photo) with me, and had the entire band, plus Frank sign it. Crazy good fortune. Most of those in the meet and greet, had no idea who he was. But myself and a couple of other diehards did. We gave him his space, and then caught him before we left. He took in the show as well. Fates also played Monument in soundcheck, which they did not play at the show itself.

As for the show, Fates played the same gig as SF, except they swapped out Falling Further for Firefly. 10 songs, about an hour. The crowd was pretty receptive to Fates. Again, it was a Queensryche crowd, and you'd think if you knew Queensryche, you'd know Fates. But I'd say the crowd was firmly 85-15 in favor of QR (as it should be, since it was their headline tour). Fates played killer. As I walked out at the end of Fates' set, I heard a ton of people saying how Fates Warning sounded AMAZING. I agree. They really played a stellar show.

Off day on Sunday, then it was up to Redding, Calif., last night for a headline show. Fates played this tiny bar called The Dip. The stage was no taller than maybe two steps up, and it was minuscule. They halved the amount of cabinets they had been using. It was pretty intimate. I had the day off, so I got up there about 4, walked in, had a beer and met up with the same Utah friends that had been doing this three-show run with me. They had these nice 10x13 gig posters (on heavier stock) printed up, and the bar tender gave them to us to have signed. Good soundcheck, and meet and greet was great, as it always is. Those guys are super nice, and generous with their time. The opening band bailed, so doors were 8, show at 9:15. Fates finished at 10:45 or 10:50. 16-song headline set had a couple of nice additions. APSOG Pt. VI, Falling Further, Acquiescence, and Monument.

I am sure most of us have had experiences at a local bar where a cover band plays, and you are right there within arm's reach. It was pretty incredible to have this caliber of a band in the same basic configuration. I have pictures (TAC, I'll get a few to you once I see you've read this), but I was right between Jim and Ray, and had Jim's guitar in my face the whole night. I had been taking a few videos each night, but it was almost impossible. LOL. I did get some great vertical photos though. Good enough in terms of poses and clarity that I will probably print out a few 8x10s, and have them signed the next time they roll through I have this great picture of just me with the band playing From the Rooftops in soundcheck. Its me and they are behind me. Just an incredible shot. ha ha.

The crowd was really small (max capacity of this place was 150, and they were, I'd say less than half full), but they were into it. You could hear them really well during the Eleventh Hour. It was just an incredible time to see such a great band in a tiny place. It was like Fates Warning in my house. They played it like it was an arena, and we really appreciated them going the full distance.

Overall, EXTREMELY impressed with Fates yet again. Three shows in four nights for me. I'm exhausted but it was worth it. Have fun to those of you going to Portland and Seattle. Make sure you get there early for some Fates. They are really on fire. New album next year too!!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 11:03:40 PM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1791 on: April 02, 2019, 02:59:31 PM »
Sam, that sounds awesome and hell yes..PICS!!

I only saw Fates once (in '94) and they played in such a small place. I stood at the stage and it didn't even come up to my knees. Being literally 6 feet away from Mark Zondor was an experience like no other. I can't imagine being so close to Bobby J.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1792 on: April 02, 2019, 04:39:44 PM »
Man, what a three-show run for me with Fates.

Good stuff!  Glad you enjoyed the shows.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1793 on: April 04, 2019, 09:39:16 AM »
Ray did co-lead vocals on "Take Hold of the Flame" by Queensryche last night.

https://youtu.be/7daxU2ccpN0?t=132

Nice way to wrap the tour. On to a new FATES record!!! Can't wait!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1794 on: April 04, 2019, 09:45:29 AM »
That's cool!  I love how the whole band (except Jim?) came out at the end for the last chorus.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1795 on: April 04, 2019, 10:04:31 AM »
That's cool!  I love how the whole band (except Jim?) came out at the end for the last chorus.

He's watching from the stage from Wilton's side. You can see him walk after the song ends. I don't think he likes singing at all LOL or the spotlight. Kind of weird with Jim. He is a very introverted person but when he's on stage playing, he IS having fun. But he's never been into singing even though he has a soothing voice when he speaks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1796 on: April 04, 2019, 10:05:06 AM »
Oh, right.  I see him now.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1797 on: April 04, 2019, 10:14:43 AM »
I asked him a couple of times at M&Gs over the years, and he's just not into singing live. You won't see him on the microphone.  :lol

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1798 on: April 04, 2019, 01:54:44 PM »

He's watching from the stage from Wilton's side. You can see him walk after the song ends. I don't think he likes singing at all LOL or the spotlight. Kind of weird with Jim. He is a very introverted person but when he's on stage playing, he IS having fun. But he's never been into singing even though he has a soothing voice when he speaks.

Just imagine if Jim ever worked with John Myung (The 2JM Project)!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #1799 on: April 05, 2019, 11:54:10 AM »
Ray did co-lead vocals on "Take Hold of the Flame" by Queensryche last night.

https://youtu.be/7daxU2ccpN0?t=132

Nice way to wrap the tour. On to a new FATES record!!! Can't wait!

I was a the Seattle show -- dead center within about 10 feet from the stage.  Both Fates and QR sounded fabulous.  Ray has taken a lot of slack over the years about his voice -- I saw him with Redemption and he sounded very shaky.  I've seen FW the last 3 times in Seattle and he has really gotten better. 

That rendition of Take Hold was an excellent way to wrap up the tour.  Can't wait for 2020!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1800 on: April 21, 2019, 09:51:53 AM »
for those not aware, Mark Zonder has a band with Shadow Gallery's Gary Wehrkamp.

They go by ZW Band on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ZWBAND/

new album coming on May 10th "If It's Real"
https://www.facebook.com/events/273548146926548/

Article about it:
https://www.sonicperspectives.com/news/new-band-zonder-wehrkamp-debut-album-if-its-real-out-soon/?fbclid=IwAR0vaVLQXOAZ5ByCdYN-hP2jnVwwOuUiTbv8Dw8L3vV329pedDtc3yxHNQE

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1801 on: April 21, 2019, 10:29:13 AM »
So what was the deal with zonder anyway, did he leave the band? or fired? Did they inquire about him coming back as the Darkness in a different light sessions were starting?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1802 on: April 21, 2019, 01:12:37 PM »
Wikipedia has this:

Their tenth studio recording FWX was released in 2004. Drummer Mark Zonder stated it would be his last album with the band, as he wished to pursue other interests, and left in 2005. Although an official member again.

although I remember in 2004 or 2005 he was quoted as being done as a touring member, but not recording.

But he did rejoin them in 2010

In 2010, Fates Warning played select dates with the Parallels lineup (Alder, Matheos, Zonder, Aresti and DiBiase) to celebrate the reissued, remastered and expanded edition of the classic album.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1803 on: April 21, 2019, 05:25:12 PM »
IIRC, Mark wanted a little bit more of stability with Fates Warning as far as touring goes. Remember since maybe Disconnected all through FWX, touring was not constant. And then after FWX was recorded, the band went dormant and played sporadic shows. Touring stability means constant income. So I get what Mark wanted. Not sure what was the reason(s) behind Fates not touring more often. Also, Mark had his rehearsal studio business up and running so that's the other interest he was pursuing.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1804 on: April 21, 2019, 07:28:56 PM »
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1805 on: April 22, 2019, 12:46:49 PM »
I actually asked Mark about his exit from FW when I interviewed him in 2009.  Here's what he said...

Link: http://themooreatorium.tripod.com/interview-with-mark-zonder-%28oct.-2-2009%29.html

Q: It's been a long five years since the last Fates Warning album, FWX.  For those who don't know, what was your reason for leaving the band?  Was it strictly to pursue other interests or were you unhappy with the direction the band was taking?

MZ: Actually, I told Jim that I didn’t want to tour with the band.  Touring was very erratic.  We would put out on album, not tour, and then two years later tour.  I had a life and did not want to just stop everything at a moments notice.  I love to tour and play, as Slavior did go to Japan and I have gone to Europe to play with Joacim Cans of Hammerfall, but it seemed like Fates was sort of stalling and after 14 years or my life it was time for a change.

Q: Do you still talk to Jim Matheos and Ray Alder?

MZ: Not too often.

Q: If they asked you to return for a new album, would you consider rejoining Fates Warning?

MZ: Actually, about six months ago I called Jim and let him know to throw my hat in the ring if they were considering drummers for a new recording.  I love recording with Jim, it is very easy and very satisfying.  He is a true professional.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online Bentower

« Reply #1806 on: May 08, 2019, 06:14:04 AM »
A fun Bus Invaders episode with Ray: https://youtu.be/GvBEAflGAqA

I wonder if the crew member's response on the intercom was spontaneous. :lol
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1807 on: May 08, 2019, 08:23:50 AM »
A fun Bus Invaders episode with Ray: https://youtu.be/GvBEAflGAqA

I wonder if the crew member's response on the intercom was spontaneous. :lol

Great episode. Now I'm gonna start calling Ray "Hazel" from here on out.  :lol

In fact, I'll make sure to bring him a gift box of cleaning supplies next time I see him.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1808 on: May 08, 2019, 10:28:47 AM »
That was a lot of fun to watch!  Thanks for sharing. :)
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1809 on: May 09, 2019, 08:49:19 PM »
for those not aware, Mark Zonder has a band with Shadow Gallery's Gary Wehrkamp.

Article about it:
https://www.sonicperspectives.com/news/new-band-zonder-wehrkamp-debut-album-if-its-real-out-soon/?fbclid=IwAR0vaVLQXOAZ5ByCdYN-hP2jnVwwOuUiTbv8Dw8L3vV329pedDtc3yxHNQE

Woah! So cool! Love the video for If It’s Real! Just ordered the limited signed version that ships soon.

I’ve been really hoping for new Shadow Gallery, but I’ll take this in it’s place for sure. Can’t believe I almost missed this. And I really dig Zonder’s drumming as a bonus.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1810 on: May 10, 2019, 11:33:42 PM »

Article about it:

Woah! So cool! Love the video for If It’s Real! Just ordered the limited signed version that ships soon.

I’ve been really hoping for new Shadow Gallery, but I’ll take this in it’s place for sure. Can’t believe I almost missed this. And I really dig Zonder’s drumming as a bonus.

yeah it's been pushed back to May 24th

https://www.zwband.com/music

video for Title track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGhzFVSy89A&feature=youtu.be

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1811 on: June 24, 2019, 08:10:03 AM »
"From The Rooftops" Bobby Jarzombek drum cam

Some interesting coordination going on. Bobbys such a beast!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #1812 on: June 24, 2019, 08:36:37 AM »
"From The Rooftops" Bobby Jarzombek drum cam

Some interesting coordination going on. Bobbys such a beast!
I would guess so. Btw, that piece actually was the first one by FW I've ever heard. (that being said, I'm not too familiar with FW, but I have their recent live album and I like that one)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1813 on: October 01, 2019, 03:41:07 PM »
bump.

Ray was just on with The Prog Report and did a Top 5 Fates Warning songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1KKi3kPjas

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1814 on: October 01, 2019, 03:44:16 PM »
bump.

Ray was just on with The Prog Report and did a Top 5 Fates Warning songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1KKi3kPjas

For those of us who don't have an hour and a half to listen, what did he pick?

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #1815 on: October 02, 2019, 12:04:57 AM »

For those of us who don't have an hour and a half to listen, what did he pick?

5. Wish
4. The Ivory Gate of Dreams
3. The Light and Shade of Things
2. Gaurdian
1. APSoG
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1816 on: October 03, 2019, 07:11:50 AM »
Wish - such a beautiful song. :)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1817 on: October 03, 2019, 07:53:07 AM »
My list would be:

Road goes on forever
Island in the stream
Anarchy devine
Chasing time
At fates hands

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1818 on: October 03, 2019, 09:15:09 AM »
So awesome that likes Wish. The mood and atmosphere is amazing. Almost OSI'ish.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1819 on: October 03, 2019, 10:04:06 AM »
FWX itself reminds me of OSI, which is great.

Much more of a slow burn and atmospheric. Its a very unique entry in their catalogue and I love it.